Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Darkfall: Unholy Wars to have SAFE ZONES?

Adam1902Adam1902 Member UncommonPosts: 537

Aventurine announce the implementation of 100% safe no-PvP zones in Darkfall: UW here: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Paragus1/102012/24100_Darkfall-Unholy-Wars-Interview-with-Aventurine

QUOTE:
14) Will there be an alignment system in the new version and if so, will be the same as it is in the older version?

Darkfall Unholy Wars has a different alignment system. In reality we are keeping the whole turning red situation when you kill other players in place but turning red does no longer mean you get attacked by NPC guard towers. It is just there to indicate to other players you might not be someone they can trust. What they do with the information is up to them. However because this would make the entire world rather chaotic we felt we needed to create some areas where players can perform some basic activities in peace. All the racial capitals and satellite faction cities as well as surrounding areas where players will make their initial steps have all PvP actions disabled. Even players belonging to enemy clans will be unable to damage each other in those areas. The vast majority of the world of course remains as it was. As a side note, while NPC guard towers are now completely off as they serve no purpose, Player holding towers will continue to faction as before.

I'm not too happy about this at all, I'm quite uncomfortable with zones existing in the game where it is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to be attacked. This takes a lot of the immersion out of the game, and I'm sure many players agree.

Here's my solution on safe zones here: http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=331659

This solution allows ONLY ALL new players, and ALL new and weak clans (those that don't own any holdings) to have 100% safe zones.

/Discuss

EDIT: Updated my OP over at the official DF forums addressing some important points. Also fixed link to source about the safe zones and added a quote for the lazy ones.

_________
Currently playing: Black Desert Korea (Waiting for EU)

Always hating on instances in MMOs! Open worlds, open PvP, territory control and housing please. More persistence, more fun.

Comments

• username509username509 Member CommonPosts: 635
    Your link is dead.

Never trust a screenshot or a youtube video without a version stamp!

• RaxeonRaxeon Member UncommonPosts: 2,283
    Originally posted by Adam1902

Aventurine announce the implementation of 100% safe no-PvP zones in Darkfall: UW here: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Paragus1...ith-Aventurine

I'm not too happy about this at all, I'm quite uncomfortable with zones existing in the game where it is IMPOSSIBLE for anyone to be attacked. This takes a lot of the immersion out of the game, and I'm sure many players agree.

Here's my solution on safe zones here: http://forums.darkfallonline.com/showthread.php?t=331659

This solution allows ONLY ALL new players, and ALL new and weak clans (those that don't own any holdings) to have 100% safe zones.

/Discuss

the problem is BUD you ranting and raving all over the place isnt going to change anything

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713

I like the idea...

PVP  games sghould have "safe zones" since in the real World assholes end up in jail and in MMO land they usually have little to no punishment for griefing and such- This gives some of us a place to go to get a "break" from the KILL ON SIGHT Arena/Deathamatch mentaility.

-Anyhow, I have not read the link you posted, nor am I following every incarnation of News on this game and dissecting it with a fine toothed comb... I Am going to be playing though (hopefully on day 1) and this makes me happy. =)

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308

I see nothing in paragus' blog about safe zones. Quite a long post, so quote it for me if i missed it.

Last i heard they were making the startting zones safe. Just the starting zones. Unless that's changed, there is no reason to be upset.

Ganking noobs is horrible for community.

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    All they need is a PvE only server and maybe it might get some looksies.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Except that that would, you know, destroy the entire way the game works.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045

I dont see it being a big deal

Shadowbane had limited safe zones and it had no negative impact on gameplay.

• thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Adam1902

Aventurine announce the implementation of 100% safe no-PvP zones in Darkfall: UW here: http://www.mmorpg.com/blogs/Paragus1...ith-Aventurine

/Discuss

I think the safe zones is exactly what the original was missing.   However, it would have been nice if it was implemented differently.  

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Toxia

I see nothing in paragus' blog about safe zones. Quite a long post, so quote it for me if i missed it.

Last i heard they were making the startting zones safe. Just the starting zones. Unless that's changed, there is no reason to be upset.

From the interview:

14) Will there be an alignment system in the new version and if so, will be the same as it is in the older version?

Darkfall Unholy Wars has a different alignment system. In reality we are keeping the whole turning red situation when you kill other players in place but turning red does no longer mean you get attacked by NPC guard towers. It is just there to indicate to other players you might not be someone they can trust. What they do with the information is up to them. However because this would make the entire world rather chaotic we felt we needed to create some areas where players can perform some basic activities in peace. All the racial capitals and satellite faction cities as well as surrounding areas where players will make their initial steps have all PvP actions disabled. Even players belonging to enemy clans will be unable to damage each other in those areas. The vast majority of the world of course remains as it was. As a side note, while NPC guard towers are now completely off as they serve no purpose, Player holding towers will continue to faction as before.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    I like this..  Vets ganking new players was the absolute biggest reason people quit playing. I do think that new players should be able to kick the the crap out of each other in these "safe zones" though ;)

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• SaintPhilipSaintPhilip Member Posts: 713
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Toxia

From the interview:

Hmmmm- I really do not see a problem with this- Sounds good to me. =/

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

How so?  If there was no PvE mobs, then you would have a point because then the game would be designed with PvP as the sole focus.

Yea the game is PvP FFA, but it also contains PvE.  Making a server like the Asherons Call server's that are white with optional PK flagging will not change red servers or change the over arching design of the game.  All it will do is bring players to the game who want to play for fun, level, PK on their own terms and enrich the game.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

How so?  If there was no PvE mobs, then you would have a point because then the game would be designed with PvP as the sole focus.

Yea the game is PvP FFA, but it also contains PvE.  Making a server like the Asherons Call server's that are white with optional PK flagging will not change red servers or change the over arching design of the game.  All it will do is bring players to the game who want to play for fun, level, PK on their own terms and enrich the game.

/facepalm.

@OP, The 100% safe zones seems highly exploitable and given the alignement system is effectively being turned off, it is just going to promote more rampant pking in the non safe world. The fact that they don't seem sure about some content, or simply won't have it in at launch is also alarming.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405

I think the safe zones are a great idea since they are expressly limited to the capital city and satellite starter cities. If noobs want to pvp, they just have to travel a short way out of the protected cities and go at it.

There were some players who made it a habit to grief new players around the starter areas. They will still be able to do this, just not in the cities. I'm sure there will still be plenty of noobs to grief at the first goblin spawn, so don't worry OP.

Originally posted by 7star

I think the safe zones are a great idea since they are expressly limited to the capital city and satellite starter cities. If noobs want to pvp, they just have to travel a short way out of the protected cities and go at it.

There were some players who made it a habit to grief new players around the starter areas. They will still be able to do this, just not in the cities. I'm sure there will still be plenty of noobs to grief at the first goblin spawn, so don't worry OP.

You could hang around the proximity of safe zones and try gank people, as soon as the fight goes against you, just step inside.

The fact the alignment system now means nothing is also going to promote everyone just trying to whack-a-mole people in the open world at the first chance, before running to safety if it goes tits up.

They have gone for a cop out option. They either couldn't (or couldn't be arsed to) sort out decent npc protection and a decent alignment system, so they have effectively removed both and just turned on the old "pvp off" switch.

• 7star7star Member Posts: 405
    Originally posted by bunnyhopper

You could hang around the proximity of safe zones and try gank people, as soon as the fight goes against you, just step inside.

The fact the alignment system now means nothing is also going to promote everyone just trying to whack-a-mole people in the open world at the first chance, before running to safety if it goes tits up.

They have gone for a cop out option. They either couldn't (or couldn't be arsed) to sort out decent npc protection and a decent alignment system, so they have effectively removed both and just turned on the old "pvp off" switch.

Yes, I can see it going like you say.

Maybe there will be some sort of delay, like you stay flagged for 5 minutes after attacking another player even if you come into a safe zone. There weren't a lot of details in the interview.

Regarding the alignment system...it was a huge problem in DF. I don't really know how it's going to work in DFUW. Was there enough info in that interview? It seems like you just go red and then players "might not trust you." Is that what Tasos said? Something like that? Hehe...

Yes, I can see it going like you say.

Maybe there will be some sort of delay, like you stay flagged for 5 minutes after attacking another player even if you come into a safe zone. There weren't a lot of details in the interview.

Regarding the alignment system...it was a huge problem in DF. I don't really know how it's going to work in DFUW. Was there enough info in that interview? It seems like you just go red and then players "might not trust you." Is that what Tasos said? Something like that? Hehe...

Well it seems that way, you go red and er, that's it lol.

As for a delay mechanic, not sure that will be the case at is appears as though the zone is simply "pvp off", so i'm not sure AV will have bothered to work a timer into it. Eitherway it's not going to stop the rampant "gank everyone!!", which the non existant alignment system will no doubt cause.

The funny thing is the perception of the game was that everyone killed everyone all the time (that really wasn't the case), but with the new changes it could well be.

Hell it might not be that bad in reality, but it certainly seems like a lazy (or incompetent if I'm being less generous) route for them to take.

• chryseschryses Member UncommonPosts: 1,453
    Im glad there is, might make me play as well
  • GaladournGaladourn Member RarePosts: 1,813

although I would have preferred an EVE approach to security for starting areas, I guess that this change will only be good for the general population of Darkfall.

However, the trully ideal approach would be to allow pvp but also allow players to call guards. But apparently that's too hard to implement for AV.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by chryses

Im glad there is, might make me play as well

The question is, how large those areas around towns and villages will be.

DF has very little content and when you limit your space even further...

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Galadourn

However, the trully ideal approach would be to allow pvp but also allow players to call guards. But apparently that's too hard to implement for AV.

Problem with guards or any retaliation mechanics is damage/health ratio.

It isn't much of a problem in EVE since you need relatively a lot of damage to take things down but in DF you kill stuff just in a few hits and there is no protection against naked gank squads.

Originally posted by Gdemami

Originally posted by Galadourn

Problem with guards or any retaliation mechanics is damage/health ratio.

It isn't much of a problem in EVE since you need relatively a lot of damage to take things down but in DF you kill stuff just in a few hits and there is no protection against naked gank squads.

Well gank squads in EVE can take stuff down quickly, that's the point of doing it in a group.

How you prevent that is by having a meaningful and punishing alignment system.

Kill someone who is blue in an npc town? Go red and take a stat/skill loss.

Kill someone else who is red or war dec'd in a town? No impact.

But that's too hard for AV apparently.

On your earlier comment on not enough stuff to do, well given Ships and the like are missing at launch for the main part, I fear there is going to be even less content. Starting to worry about it all tbh.

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001

Well gank squads in EVE can take stuff down quickly, that's the point of doing it in a group.

In EVE you cannot do it completely naked. Yes, you can do it with a negligible cost, but in DF you can do it with no cost at all.

• daarcodaarco Member UncommonPosts: 4,275

Dont think this will inpact the average gameplay.

If you want hardcore PvP action, move out into the world and fight.

If you want to make yourself home with the new game, stay in the city and learn.

The only thing that will happen is that people will play the game more : )

Originally posted by tom_gore

In EVE you cannot do it completely naked. Yes, you can do it with a negligible cost, but in DF you can do it with no cost at all.

Hence the point about the alignment system.