Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

guildwars 2; beyond the hype

WolfmeisterWolfmeister Member UncommonPosts: 50

We all were surprised by the game when it started but the 'new' is wearing off.

There are several items which to me as a gamer make me question whether playing this game at all is worth it.

1. Diminishing Returns-  this system punishes players for playing. They say it is to stop bots; if that is so why not just ban the bots? every other mmo seems to be able to, yet GW2 fails.

I log in spend 20 minutes just getting my stuff ready, kill one thing pve; and end up getting nothing but grey stuff from that point on. I log for an hour- come bakc right to pve and get good stuff.....

Any game which rewards me for not playing it is telling me something; when the best reward is turning your client off... then you may have a point; playing your game is a mistake.

2. WvW; the prime feature of this game is WvW.

One might say that due to ques we have to have balanced realm number dont we?

One day in WvW shows that this simply isnt the case. You cannot possibly be zerged out on every map and yet have the SAME number of people on all teams in combat.  Simply not possible.

3. The "Not Enough Endgame" arguement; in this case there really is NO endgame. Three 70+ zones for which you are penalized if you play for more than 20 minutes. And WvW system that is completely unbalanced; zerg rules.

Dont believe the hype, this game is a wasted effort. And a pretty big waste of money.

Is it beyond repair?

All things said by the Devs do not indicate the sort of massive effort it would take to make this game viable. I give it 3 months before hype decines remarkably in STO fashion.

We are the Founding Fathers in this virtual world in which we create. As such it seems we must do what our Founding Fathers had to do.. in order to let our fellow gamers have a fair shake.

Comments

• lalartulalartu Member UncommonPosts: 437

1 - I never felt punished by the game and I play for hours, It may punish you for trying to farm same area, but not if you explore.

I get randomn yellows and lots of greens no matter where I go no matter when. If you farm same area, the XP bonus and the drops may decline (tho I haven't noticed), but that's to prevent farming. 

2 - WvW is always different when I try it. sometime there are several zergs running around, sometimes people are just running small groups.

people are never in ONE big zerg, they're always in smaller chunks and it's all about being organized and knowing where to strike and when. sure it may seem unfair sometimes, but that's the beauty of 3 party system. you can unite forces.

3 - endgame is an invention of WoW and GW2 tries hard to stay away from that stereotype. I aggree with that strategy

there's plenty to do once you're 80. if you don't care about looks or equipment (and I don't), there are loads of things to do in PVP. the halloween event is also so frigging awesome that ive literally spent 2 days non stop playing it

so in conclusion: you're wrong

I review lots of indie games and MMORPGs

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by lalartu

1 - I never felt punished by the game and I play for hours, It may punish you for trying to farm same area, but not if you explore.

I get randomn yellows and lots of greens no matter where I go no matter when. If you farm same area, the XP bonus and the drops may decline (tho I haven't noticed), but that's to prevent farming. 

2 - WvW is always different when I try it. sometime there are several zergs running around, sometimes people are just running small groups.

people are never in ONE big zerg, they're always in smaller chunks and it's all about being organized and knowing where to strike and when. sure it may seem unfair sometimes, but that's the beauty of 3 party system. you can unite forces.

3 - endgame is an invention of WoW and GW2 tries hard to stay away from that stereotype. I aggree with that strategy

there's plenty to do once you're 80. if you don't care about looks or equipment (and I don't), there are loads of things to do in PVP. the halloween event is also so frigging awesome that ive literally spent 2 days non stop playing it

I PVP a lot infact that is the only thing i do Maybe it is true for your server but on shiverpeaks you can not go anywhere without running into huge zerg of Bkacktide server. So nope so far atleast i haven't seen players running in smaller chunks... however i do see huge blobs everyhwere.

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387

Next time you should actually stop and read what the forum critics have to say rather than just calling them Trolls and Haters. 

Because how many times now have there been number of forum critics trying the denounce the hype of these hyped up MMO releases?

Warhammer come to mind.

darkfall.

swtor.

gw2.

Yet each time you people call them trolls, but soon want to (bleep) and moan about being deceived once the hype fades.. Lol..

its not a coincidence that the critics see pass the hype of these overhyped MMO. 

Learn to understand that...

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Next time you should actually stop and read what the forum critics have to say rather than just calling them Trolls and Haters. 

Because how many times now have there been number of forum critics trying the denounce the hype of these hyped up MMO releases?

Warhammer come to mind.

darkfall.

swtor.

gw2.

Yet each time you people call them trolls, but soon want to (bleep) and moan about being deceived once the hype fades.. Lol..

its not a coincidence that the critics see pass the hype of these overhyped MMO. 

At what point does criticism stop being criticism and start being flat out mindless cynicism? Criticism is needed, but that doesn't mean we should be total doormats.

• rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

Warhammer come to mind.

darkfall.

swtor.

gw2.

Dont forget EQ Next  hype :)

• tazarconantazarconan Member Posts: 1,013
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Yes, it is beyond repair. Do like the rest of us and just move on. Dont worry, better mmos are comming.image

Any insightfull suggestions/directions?

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    Originally posted by tazarconan
    Originally posted by Mannish
    Yes, it is beyond repair. Do like the rest of us and just move on. Dont worry, better mmos are comming.image

Any insightfull suggestions/directions?

1) Kill anyone who likes GW2.

2) Revive them via necromancy, and force them to love FFXIV.

3) Also have them praise Mannish for being the Moses that lead them to the promised land of FFIV.

4) Don't take this too seriously.

5) :3.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

DR sucked but they fixed it to where its not a concern for even a medium amount of play.

I disagree with the rest, WvW is plenty enough content for the PvP crowd and farming for Legendaries is plenty for PvE elitests.  The game is amazing in its own right and I love it, its quickly becominging my all time favorite MMO, it has every thing I could ever want out of an MMO (minus housing) and it will continue to grow in content.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• WolfmeisterWolfmeister Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by halflife25

I think perhaps the 'new' hasnt worn off for you yet; you are just seeing the good, and are blind to the bad.

WvW has little to do with tactics when you are outnumbered 5 to 1. 

Currently on Tarnished Coast the third realm didnt even show. They havent done anything.

Since night 1 when the que were full we were GROSSLY outnumbered; that shows the system they have is not just broken but to call it fair it is a bad joke

Hmm lets see; PvP that is unfair and does no sort of balance for realms, PVE that punishes me for playing. No real endgame what-so-ever. 

I am right on every count. You have proven yourself wrong by way of being blinded by 'new' and hype.

We are the Founding Fathers in this virtual world in which we create. As such it seems we must do what our Founding Fathers had to do.. in order to let our fellow gamers have a fair shake.

• LatronusLatronus Member Posts: 692
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

DR sucked but they fixed it to where its not a concern for even a medium amount of play.

I disagree with the rest, WvW is plenty enough content for the PvP crowd and farming for Legendaries is plenty for PvE elitests.  The game is amazing in its own right and I love it, its quickly becominging my all time favorite MMO, it has every thing I could ever want out of an MMO (minus housing) and it will continue to grow in content.

Glad you still like it because it became totally boring to me after 3 weeks or so.  I'll keep it on my computer and come back from time to time but it'll never be my main MMO. It never really grabbed me and pulled me in.  Oh well.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777

I PVP a lot infact that is the only thing i do Maybe it is true for your server but on shiverpeaks you can not go anywhere without running into huge zerg of Bkacktide server. So nope so far atleast i haven't seen players running in smaller chunks... however i do see huge blobs everyhwere.

Then... avoid it. If you see that giant zerg there, attack somewhere else. Get supply. Build siege. Defend.

Edit: I think people are confused. They are so used to zerging PvP from nearly every game. they figure "Oh hey, there is a zerg, so I must attack it" and when they fail, they figure "Hey, they are a zerg, so I will make my own!" sothey join into the other zergs. Meanwhile, the real point of WvWvW is lost, and that is to siege, capture and defend.

• ToxiaToxia Member UncommonPosts: 1,308
    Originally posted by Wolfmeister

We all were surprised by the game when it started but the 'new' is wearing off.

There are several items which to me as a gamer make me question whether playing this game at all is worth it.

1. Diminishing Returns-  this system punishes players for playing. They say it is to stop bots; if that is so why not just ban the bots? every other mmo seems to be able to, yet GW2 fails.

I log in spend 20 minutes just getting my stuff ready, kill one thing pve; and end up getting nothing but grey stuff from that point on. I log for an hour- come bakc right to pve and get good stuff.....

Any game which rewards me for not playing it is telling me something; when the best reward is turning your client off... then you may have a point; playing your game is a mistake.

2. WvW; the prime feature of this game is WvW.

One might say that due to ques we have to have balanced realm number dont we?

One day in WvW shows that this simply isnt the case. You cannot possibly be zerged out on every map and yet have the SAME number of people on all teams in combat.  Simply not possible.

3. The "Not Enough Endgame" arguement; in this case there really is NO endgame. Three 70+ zones for which you are penalized if you play for more than 20 minutes. And WvW system that is completely unbalanced; zerg rules.

Dont believe the hype, this game is a wasted effort. And a pretty big waste of money.

Is it beyond repair?

All things said by the Devs do not indicate the sort of massive effort it would take to make this game viable. I give it 3 months before hype decines remarkably in STO fashion.

I stopped reading after this. You obviously don't understand how the DR system works or how bad it makes you look when you misinform like this.

DR in dungeons doesnt apply unless you run the same path twice in a row. This is to stop people from running only the 'easiest' path.

DR in PVE kicks in when farming the SAME MOBS for over an hour.  This is to stop bots. This ALSO only applies to CERTAIN mobs that people are abusing.

They have commented that once they actually fix what people are abusing on the mobs themselves, they will drop the DR on them, as they have for the rest of orr's mobs that are not affected by DR.

But i suspect you wont want to be farming them after that, hmm?

The Deep Web is sca-ry.

• NewmoonNewmoon Member UncommonPosts: 126

I stopped for a couple weeks, messed around a couple other MMOs, even tried out the new WoW expansion. Made it to a whole level 6 before quitting again. I simply cannot stand the whole stand around and trade blows anymore. I kept trying to dodge, and ended up interupting my own spells:P

EQ2 now has that you don't need to discover flight paths anymore- thank god. Vanguard was fun to revisit. However, I do know that GW2 is here to stay on my desktop.

No, it is not a game you can play daily month in and month out. It's going to be like EvE, log in a couple times a week, do some stuff, talk to folks, then log off after a fun night.

PvP on the other hand, I have to admit must be unbalanced. The problem is, once things start to go badly for a server they quit showing up. Then the numbers become unbalanced. I'm on Yak's Bend. Dear god, the other night we had everything in WvW except one single fort. I was on the winning team, but it wasn't worth it. I do like balanced. The early wars were fun, because it was a huge fight at a castle and it was pure chaos. LOVED IT.

The realms need a new rotation mechanic added. Once a server owns 80% of the world, it gets restarted.

• JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410

i logged in today. qued up for a BG.....3 mesmerers, 3 thiefs, 1 ranger.

log off. log back in. que up for BG.....2 rangers, 2 mesmere, 3 thiefs.

log off. log back on. que up for BG......4 mesmere 3 thiefs.

FFS! i'm so effing tired of fighting these fotom classes.....class balance my ass.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

i logged in today. qued up for a BG.....3 mesmerers, 3 thiefs, 1 ranger.

log off. log back in. que up for BG.....2 rangers, 2 mesmere, 3 thiefs.

log off. log back on. que up for BG......4 mesmere 3 thiefs.

FFS! i'm so effing tired of fighting these fotom classes.....

odd i always see at least 1 guardian and usually several warriors

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529

GW2 has issues, whether it affects the player or not is another question.

Story / Char / Lore stuff is bad.  From your personal story that suddenly 'changes focus' (you'll know when you get there) to story arcs that suddenly stops and doesn't go anywhere; it is really bad. 1st part, okay, personal preference but the 2nd one? Yeah, that's objectively bad.

W v W suffers from player behaviour where people don't login for W v W once their server is at a disadvantage. This doesn't happen all the time but it happens more often then not. Around 90% for me personally but your experience might vary.

Their CS apparently suffers although that's my friends saying that, I personally had no issues with them.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

Originally posted by jpnz

Story / Char / Lore stuff is bad.  From your personal story that suddenly 'changes focus' (you'll know when you get there) to story arcs that suddenly stops and doesn't go anywhere; it is really bad. 1st part, okay, personal preference but the 2nd one? Yeah, that's objectively bad.

W v W suffers from player behaviour where people don't login for W v W once their server is at a disadvantage. This doesn't happen all the time but it happens more often then not. Around 90% for me personally but your experience might vary.

Their CS apparently suffers although that's my friends saying that, I personally had no issues with them.

wha'ts wrong with the claw island story line series? I thought so far the take over of claw island then taking it back was some of the best story segments I have played in an MMO my main gripe is there is too much empty time between story sequences Id much prefer one per level as there is to much disconnect when the next story sequence is 3 or 4 levels from the last one

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

The elitists got the legendaries then realized it wasn't fulfilling due to just being aesthetics, they also realized they now have nothing in the game to do and didn't want to spend another $50 on gold to get another legendary and quit, the people who don't have legendaries yet probably will never get them because it's totally not worth it and they aren't crazy elitists.

WvW in it's current state is awful, the culling issues are ridiculous, getting killed by invisible zergs is great, also hacks and exploits in WvW are getting ridiculous. Currently in the T1 match fly hackers have destroyed all alters in the blackgate borderland therefore blackgate is the only one who can have the orb, and in JQ borderland SBI has the keep and the orb is still red because it has been glitched into being permanently in blackgates posession. 

Nevermind the lack of a proper outmanned buff and the fact if youre server is losing badly you can't even roam around alone because coming up against someone somewhat competent 1v1 with 3 EXPLOITED orb buffs is not going to be pretty.

Anyone who tried to discuss hacks/exploits in the WvW forum gets their posts removed and a temp ban.

Diminishing returns are another awful idea implemented because Anet wants to stop bots...or is it because they don't want to de-value their gem shop?

If I want to run a dungeon 5 times, don't punish me for it, it's not like the loot is even good to begin with, if I want to karma grind let me...it's not like karma is for anything besides aesthetic purchases...

Is this Anets version of endgame? Diminishing returns?

I like PvE and PvP, so do my guildies, yet we are burnt out. There's no reason to PvE or PvP outside of fun but the dungeons aren't fun after you run them once and WvW exploits have become tiresome and frustrating, Spvp is also extremely repetitive with the single map type and the lack of any statistics or character progression.

I play GW2 likes it's a console game or a compilation of minigames to amuse myself with at this point. I really wanted to play it like an MMO though, but there's nothing that encourages playing it like an MMO.

• jpnzjpnz Member Posts: 3,529
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

wha'ts wrong with the claw island story line series? I thought so far the take over of claw island then taking it back was some of the best story segments I have played in an MMO my main gripe is there is too much empty time between story sequences Id much prefer one per level as there is to much disconnect when the next story sequence is 3 or 4 levels from the last one

If that's what I think it is, that's passable but one 'kinda nice' story in a sequence of horrible chapters before and after doesn't really cut it.

Try this, level up your char without doing your personal story until 80. Then do your PS all at once. No, it is not better as you finally get the uninterrupted story that is just.... bad.

I'm told the 'circus' is a bit better for Chapter 1, as I did the 'missing parents' though.

Gdemami -
    Informing people about your thoughts and impressions is not a review, it's a blog.

• ThorkuneThorkune Member UncommonPosts: 1,969
    Originally posted by Latronus

Glad you still like it because it became totally boring to me after 3 weeks or so.  I'll keep it on my computer and come back from time to time but it'll never be my main MMO. It never really grabbed me and pulled me in.  Oh well.

I feel the exact same way. But, I haven't found an mmo that has pulled me in a very long time.

Originally posted by Aerowyn

If that's what I think it is, that's passable but one 'kinda nice' story in a sequence of horrible chapters before and after doesn't really cut it.

Try this, level up your char without doing your personal story until 80. Then do your PS all at once. No, it is not better as you finally get the uninterrupted story that is just.... bad.

I'm told the 'circus' is a bit better for Chapter 1, as I did the 'missing parents' though.

really varies for me I'm leveling 3 classes at the same time all differn't races and it's nice how differn't each story is.. but yes some are better than others

• MahavishnuMahavishnu Member Posts: 336
    I am convinced that there is at least one guy sitting in the Blizzard office who gets payed for flaming Guildwars 2 on all forums and rating sites. This game is so good and all servers are full, so one has to wonder where all those negative remarks come from, which often full lies about the game.

Advertising has us chasing cars and clothes, working jobs we hate so we can buy shit we don't need.

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu
    I am convinced that there is at least one guy sitting in the Blizzard office who gets payed for flaming Guildwars 2 on all forums and rating sites. This game is so good and all servers are full, so one has to wonder where all those negative remarks come from, which often full lies about the game.

I thought it was supposed to be the haters coming up with the conspiracy theories not the fanboys... well... this is an odd turn of events.

Apparently if it's perfect to you it is to everyone else right? The only possible way there could be lots of negativity is due to people getting payed to flame. I guess my long time friends who all stopped playing GW2 were payed to quit and leave me lonely and they are now spending their days writing negative things about GW2 on sites like this.

If this was the case i'd pay them to come back because GW2 has a poor sense of community and i'm getting lonely.

Originally posted by Pivotelite
    Originally posted by Mahavishnu

I thought it was supposed to be the haters coming up with the conspiracy theories not the fanboys... well... this is an odd turn of events.

Apparently if it's perfect to you it is to everyone else right? The only possible way there could be lots of negativity is due to people getting payed to flame. I guess my long time friends who all stopped playing GW2 were payed to quit and leave me lonely and they are now spending their days writing negative things about GW2 on sites like this.

If this was the case i'd pay them to come back because GW2 has a poor sense of community and i'm getting lonely.

can always say hey to me.. im talking nonstop on here.. actually has slowed leveling ALOT.. between 2 guilds I'm in then various people on these forums my chat hardly stops

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by KingJiggly

Then... avoid it. If you see that giant zerg there, attack somewhere else. Get supply. Build siege. Defend.

Edit: I think people are confused. They are so used to zerging PvP from nearly every game. they figure "Oh hey, there is a zerg, so I must attack it" and when they fail, they figure "Hey, they are a zerg, so I will make my own!" sothey join into the other zergs. Meanwhile, the real point of WvWvW is lost, and that is to siege, capture and defend.

Oreally? thanks for the amazing tip. *rolls eyes*

Already tried it many times but 5 against 30 doesn't cut it out. Look, i have no qualms with zerging. Because when you are on full servers like mine, who ever brings the biggest zerg wins. But OP can not speak for all the servers when he says 'that players run around always in smaller chunks and there is NEVER  a big zerg'. Sorry but that is BS.