Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

50% of servers are "full", 30% are "high"

Comments

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

oh lord here goes the ad numerum again.

Resist!

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• wordizwordiz Member Posts: 464
    This just shows how few people have hit the cap yet.
  • stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Of course there are a lot of people on. There is new content being released. People paid for the game and there is no sub, so of course they are logging in. They want to check out the new content. It doesn't reflect the actual numbers of people who play on a daily basis. I can't imagine anyone didn't think the numbers would go up over these days. It is even reflected in the xfire and raptr numbers. I don't know who is worse, the doomsayers or the overly vocal fanboys.  Both feel the need to prove their points with ridiculously meaningless information.
  • sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd
    Of course there are a lot of people on. There is new content being released. People paid for the game and there is no sub, so of course they are logging in. They want to check out the new content. It doesn't reflect the actual numbers of people who play on a daily basis. I can't imagine anyone didn't think the numbers would go up over these days. It is even reflected in the xfire and raptr numbers. I don't know who is worse, the doomsayers or the overly vocal fanboys.  Both feel the need to prove their points with ridiculously meaningless information.

People are cancling subs everyday O_O 

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by sammyeli
    Originally posted by stevebmbsqd

People are cancling subs everyday O_O 

Right like the servers weren't full and high already just like they are now. spsssh. what's funny is those who think the servers where all light like he's suggesting don't consider themselves doomsayers. Love your post Sammyeli LOL like there's a sub to cancel. image

• TigerAeroTigerAero Member Posts: 127

The reason I liked this game so much was because of the solo-ability and PUG ability all the wa to 80. Float from one DE to another and not have to worry about some brat fulfilling his job/role. I loved it. That was a month ago and this game is now in my trash bucket.

Yes, I was also one of the lucky ones to get my cash back.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn

looks like those who said it would be dead at 2 months were wrong.

anyone wanna go for six months now? place your bets!

People on these forums are very bad at predicting what is going to be successful. I remember people talking so much about how D3 would be dead in a month or two but it is still pretty much one of the most popular PC games and TL2 (which I bought)  is pretty much dead now :D

Lol, those who said that it would be dead in 2 months time are naive. It doesn't have a sub... If it had a sub, we would be seeing a very different story. But I definitely support ArenaNet and would prefer if most MMOs would go for B2P and pumping out tons of xpacs and DLCs. I don't mind lots of DLCs. At least I know what I am paying for whereas I am not so sure where sub fees are invested.

A B2P MMO has to be really bad to die out in 2 months.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• sammyelisammyeli Member Posts: 765
    Originally posted by TigerAero

The reason I liked this game so much was because of the solo-ability and PUG ability all the wa to 80. Float from one DE to another and not have to worry about some brat fulfilling his job/role. I loved it. That was a month ago and this game is now in my trash bucket.

Cool story brah!

“The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true.”

Carl Sagan-

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

are you kidding me? you played the game to 80 then requested a refund? i really can't believe they give full refunds for stuff like this... good for you I guess

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

are you kidding me? you played the game to 80 then requested a refund? i really can't believe they give full refunds for stuff like this... good for you I guess

Wish I was enough of a scumbag to ask for a refund for every game I played for 40+ hours and never touched again.  There are games that i loved that I played for less than that.  

• YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh
    Or the servers have a lot lower capacity.

That's pretty obviously conspiracy nonsense.

I am sure SW:TOR had similar server status this point after its release...

• TerranahTerranah Member UncommonPosts: 3,575

I just started playing WvW.  Were there ques?  It's instant when I push the button.

I am getting a little bored, maybe because of playing too much.  Also I don't care for the 60 to 70 zone I'm in right now...too much fire and doom and fighting every step of the way.  Exhausting. 

But it seems the game is doing well population wise. 

Originally posted by strangiato2112

Wish I was enough of a scumbag to ask for a refund for every game I played for 40+ hours and never touched again.  There are games that i loved that I played for less than that.  

Who cares? You really think ArenaNet aren't making millions of this game despite of a few who are requesting refunds? Use your self righteousness over something that actually is hurting someone/something.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    I wish more than probably anyone that this game was fun and sociable.    I logged in to check out halloween stuff.  After running around a few minutes unsure what to do, I logged back out. 
  • strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Yamota

Who cares? You really think ArenaNet aren't making millions of this game despite of a few who are requesting refunds? Use your self righteousness over something that actually is hurting someone/something.

The more say they got away with it, the more people will try it next time.  Sure, Arenanet probably wont miss the money but its a big problem with society in general.

I worked for a company that had 2 class action lawsuits against it that did hurt the company.  In neither case was the company wrong, but the customers were a combination of irresponsible and greedy.

For instance, if people didnt scam doctors with unwarranted malpractice suits (I know some are warranted but far from all) health care costs wouldnt be as high.

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Greyhooff
    Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh
    Or the servers have a lot lower capacity.

Given the lack of transperency Arenanet has when it comes to a lot of "inner workings" aspects, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Actually, they would be stupid if they didn't since there is a psychological effect that can be used to their advantage and it is hard for outside people to prove that such tweaks happened if they are done well.

I remember that there were suspicion about EA altering caps for SWTOR too and the effect was supposidly noticable in Xfire. However, if the tweaks were done in small steps rather than large jumps, xfire would never have noticed it.

Changing capacity without notification is, in my opinion, is comparable in "bad" to the practice of introducing gambling through real money, so the question is: why shouldn't they use that technique?

Furthermore, to even out populations over multiple servers, there is reason to keep certain servers on "full" during certain times of the day even if they haven't reached maximum capacity.

Xfire seems like the most reliable tool to measure activity since it doesn't depend on the morality of the MMORPG publisher and it doesn't rely on vague descriptions of server capacity.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by TwoThreeFour
    Originally posted by Greyhooff Originally posted by Cakeisyummeh Or the servers have a lot lower capacity.
    Given the lack of transperency Arenanet has when it comes to a lot of "inner workings" aspects, it wouldn't surprise me at all. Actually, they would be stupid if they didn't since there is a psychological effect that can be used to their advantage and it is hard for outside people to prove that such tweaks happened if they are done well.

I remember that there were suspicion about EA altering caps for SWTOR too and the effect was supposidly noticable in Xfire. However, if the tweaks were done in small steps rather than large jumps, xfire would never have noticed it.

Changing capacity without notification is, in my opinion, is comparable in "bad" to the practice of introducing gambling through real money, so the question is: why shouldn't they use that technique?

Furthermore, to even out populations over multiple servers, there is reason to keep certain servers on "full" during certain times of the day even if they haven't reached maximum capacity.

Xfire seems like the most reliable tool to measure activity since it doesn't depend on the morality of the MMORPG publisher and it doesn't rely on vague descriptions of server capacity.

Server populations are an unknown quantity. You're just reading all of your own biases into the values. It doesn't matter if you're using XFire or the server status. You're just taking your own feeling about the server populations, and then using any numbers available to justify that feeling.

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

• TheLizardbonesTheLizardbones Member CommonPosts: 10,910

Originally posted by fivoroth
    Originally posted by Ramanadjinn looks like those who said it would be dead at 2 months were wrong.   anyone wanna go for six months now? place your bets!
    People on these forums are very bad at predicting what is going to be successful. I remember people talking so much about how D3 would be dead in a month or two but it is still pretty much one of the most popular PC games and TL2 (which I bought)  is pretty much dead now :D

Lol, those who said that it would be dead in 2 months time are naive. It doesn't have a sub... If it had a sub, we would be seeing a very different story. But I definitely support ArenaNet and would prefer if most MMOs would go for B2P and pumping out tons of xpacs and DLCs. I don't mind lots of DLCs. At least I know what I am paying for whereas I am not so sure where sub fees are invested.

A B2P MMO has to be really bad to die out in 2 months.

You know what people on these forums are really good at? Claiming victory by hindsight. :-)

I can not remember winning or losing a single debate on the internet.

Originally posted by Yamota

The more say they got away with it, the more people will try it next time.  Sure, Arenanet probably wont miss the money but its a big problem with society in general.

I worked for a company that had 2 class action lawsuits against it that did hurt the company.  In neither case was the company wrong, but the customers were a combination of irresponsible and greedy.

For instance, if people didnt scam doctors with unwarranted malpractice suits (I know some are warranted but far from all) health care costs wouldnt be as high.

Yes it is the greed of regular people we have to worry about, nevermind the greed of multibillion dollar corps. But seriously, you are comparing refunds, for which ArenaNet is offering themselves, to medical malpractice and class action lawsuits? I think you need to step outside son...

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Is the halloween event seriously that good? I haven't logged in for about 24 weeks. Maybe it's time to check things out again. Sad thing is, because ANET was paid up front as opposed to a sub, I really don't get the feeling they care one way or the other.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• Ramonski7Ramonski7 Member UncommonPosts: 2,662
    Damn this phone...that would be 2 weeks not 24. Stupid auto complete.

"Small minds talk about people, average minds talk about events, great minds talk about ideas."

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048

Unless population numbers state exactly population rather then "High" or "Full" it can't be used for a measure of success in ANY MMO, not just GW2. Those words mean absolutely 0 and can easily be manipulated on ANY game, and have been in the past by adjusting what number of players defines 'high' or 'full'.

If your going to make judgements, use actual population numbers if possible or even at least how popular maybe a city might be. City population is more speculation then anything and isn't really a good method either, but its a lot more reliable then looking at server population that only says "high" or "full".

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

It's halloween event and server populations are higher than normal which is preety normal.  Would be weird if it was not.

• drDamagedrDamage Member Posts: 60

Who cares if the server population are arbitrarily classified as "full" or "high"? Who cares if the puplisher is making millions or billions or barely breaking even? Really the important thing is whether you find the game enjoyable or not.

The frustarting part for me, which may actually prove to be a deal breaker, is waiting in a WvW que for 45 minutes and subsequently getting in, only to have the server restart in 3 minutes for some "random"  "new build".

• rutaqrutaq Member UncommonPosts: 428

I guess I missed the point of this post...

So there are a bunch of people playing a plainfuly mediocre wanna be MMO ?

Having a handful of "Full" servers isn't much of a accomplishment and isn't a metric for a quality game.  Look at WoW, it has many more subscribers playing than GW2 could ever dream of but underneath it all the game itself is painfuly simple, childish and generally regarded as crap...

Really it only shows that the expectations of the MMO community have been terribly lowered over the years by the influx of Casual play, easy mode, eveyrone gets a trophy , non competitive,non social players.