Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

I dislike the fact the game limits 6skills max on action bar

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

I am not a big fan of skill restrictions like this in MMO. I didn't like it in Guild Wars1.

What bothers me, is that TESO will have weapon skills as well as special class skills. But all of these suppose to go on a limited 6 slot action bar.

I much prefer the GW2 method, which gave extra slots for weapon skills, and gave slots for players to make something more unique.

Really hope the developers can make the 6slot system fun, since even in GW2's spammy limited action bar system, it gets boring fast.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

Comments

• revy66revy66 Member Posts: 464
    As far as I know from what I've read, the first two abilities are the weapon abilities, the rest are changeable with one being for the ultimate.
  • Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Can be great, can also be utter crap.  Will have to wait and see.  Stamina is used along with magika so will just have to wait and see.  The say combat is reactive so could be pulled off well.  GW2 isn't nearly as reactive as I thought it would have been as it's dman near impossible to tell what the mob is doing in a DE and even in a dungeon when everyone is throwing they effects onto the mob.  Hoping ESO to be a truely reactive combat like they are trumping it to be.
  • ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by MMOExposed

I am not a big fan of skill restrictions like this in MMO. I didn't like it in Guild Wars1.

What bothers me, is that TESO will have weapon skills as well as special class skills. But all of these suppose to go on a limited 6 slot action bar.

I much prefer the GW2 method, which gave extra slots for weapon skills, and gave slots for players to make something more unique.

Really hope the developers can make the 6slot system fun, since even in GW2's spammy limited action bar system, it gets boring fast.

Heh and the purists scoff at the idea of having a hotbar in the first place.

I love a limited hotbar like was implemented in GW2, TSW, and GW1.  It forces choice onto the players instead of this crapfest of a billion hotbar slots like in WoW, Rift or other games.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

I love a limited hotbar like was implemented in GW2, TSW, and GW1.  It forces choice onto the players instead of this crapfest of a billion hotbar slots like in WoW, Rift or other games.

Holy shit, you're never going to believe this.

We...agree.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    Originally posted by Entinerint

We...agree.

It's a good thing for an Elder Scrolls game. But that's not to say I'd approve for every game.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Entinerint

We...agree.

So which is it, you dont like a hotbar (even though all TES games had a hotbar (it was just hidden lol, but dont let your narrative stand in the way of hate) or you want a WoW style mega zillion skill hotbar?

You cant have both.  Well you can, but you cant bitch at both.

Limited hotbar, quasi action combat is ideal and no way could I ever play anything else.  Both WoW style hotbar and left/right click combat is silly, boring, and ancient.  Its nice to see game companies like Anet and ZOS innovate on design.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Kuro1nKuro1n Member UncommonPosts: 775
    While I thinking limiting the player is great I also believe that 6 skills is way too few, ~9-12 or such is imo way more interesting if there is a good amount of skills in the game etc.
  • sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911
    I wouldn't mind the hot bar if I could set the abilities to keyboard/mouse combos.  Double tap forward and click, forward backward and click, click and hold, click and drag... I want some way to access the abilities without pressing 1-9.
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    elder scrolls games have always been fast paced combat so not surprising this one will be like that..  imho the days of the stand in front of an enemy and trade blows in an MMO are coming to an end if they haven't gotten there already..

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    On first thought, I'd say I prefer at least 10 skills.. but each game is different.  I'll have to wait til I get a chance to play or hear that 6 isn't enough from a lot of people before I'll doubt their design.  I don't believe in looking down on a game just because it's different.  If they were all the same, we'd all be playing WoW because it's got more content.
  • deakondeakon Member Posts: 583
    The thing I like about this system is that you can swap you ability load out between combat, so yes you have only 6 on your bar, but you can chose thos 6 to be anything from a pool of 20-30 class abilities plus however many weapon abilities you unlock and ability morphs and perks. The ammount of playstyle options per class this can provide sounds mind boggling (but in a good way) to me.
  • ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by sapphen
    I wouldn't mind the hot bar if I could set the abilities to keyboard/mouse combos.  Double tap forward and click, forward backward and click, click and hold, click and drag... I want some way to access the abilities without pressing 1-9.

well, incase any of your pre posters actually played an elder scrolls game, they should know how the basic combat works.

since they complain about not enough skills in the hotbar on the other hand, i seriously doubt they did.

skyrim hat TWO active skills. are you saying your combat was boring? (well, unless you played mage maybe hehe).

my melee quite some moves, resulting from direction keys and attacks.

but maybe we played a different game :)

or even read a different preview?

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"

• Eir_SEir_S Member UncommonPosts: 4,440
    Originally posted by deakon
    The thing I like about this system is that you can swap you ability load out between combat, so yes you have only 6 on your bar, but you can chose thos 6 to be anything from a pool of 20-30 class abilities plus however many weapon abilities you unlock and ability morphs and perks. The ammount of playstyle options per class this can provide sounds mind boggling (but in a good way) to me.

So it's like GW1, only you don't need to travel back to town?  That sounds pretty cool actually..

Originally posted by Thane

well, incase any of your pre posters actually played an elder scrolls game, they should know how the basic combat works.

since they complain about not enough skills in the hotbar on the other hand, i seriously doubt they did.

skyrim hat TWO active skills. are you saying your combat was boring? (well, unless you played mage maybe hehe).

I agree.  If they're gonna have action bars then give us direction keys, mouse clicks, drags and other set combinations to use them.  This would be good for melee, ranged and spell casters.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Thane

This is exactly what I was thinking.. Two was plenty in Skyrim and it's obvious they are trying to shift closer to that style after the poor initial response to the game.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737

It is not same as GW2. Only thing same is fewer skills on hotbar. In TESO you can use and swap skills according to your choice where as in GW2 your weapon skills are fixed.

• Crazy_StickCrazy_Stick Member Posts: 1,059
    My only concern now is that when they have to go free to play to survive like every other MMORPG released in the last several years, they will do an EA-Like and charge for every action bar skill slot outside of the first... O.o
  • muffins89muffins89 Member UncommonPosts: 1,585
    i played a few hundred hours of oblivion and skyrim and all i did was swing my sword.  6 abilitys sounds like too many.
  • snapfusionsnapfusion Member Posts: 954
    It hasnt seemed to hurt the sales of other Elder Scrolls products which they are obviously following, so it just might be save to say they know what they are doing.  The minute they try to make a game that everyone will like, no one will like it, you just might have to take a pass on this one then.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 31,892

I'm with you brutha.

I prefer having a very limited amount of abilities but having abilities that can be used in a meaningful, intelligent fashion.

I hate hotbar clutter or having that one ability that is used in very few circumstances. I'd rather have a few that I can do a lot with.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Sovrath

I'm with you brutha.

I prefer having a very limited amount of abilities but having abilities that can be used in a meaningful, intelligent fashion.

I hate hotbar clutter or having that one ability that is used in very few circumstances. I'd rather have a few that I can do a lot with.

i can see wanting to juggle 30+ skills at once as it adds more variety to each encounter depending on how abilities are setup.. but overall i agree I like a smaller set of abilities with more meaning.. to many games that allow you to have that many abilities have way to many very situation skills you hardly use or to many on very long cooldowns which in the end just clutters up the screen..  quality of quantity for me on this.. 

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I prefer it the way theyre doing it over an extensive skill bar. Keep in mind, theyre going to let you eventually master pretty much everything in the game and keep gaining in individual skills even after you hit level cap. Remember how well it worked out for Darkfall with everyone having access to all skills at once and being able to max them out? Not very well at all, which is why theyre changing their system as well.

The system theyre going with still allows you some flexibility in setting up your skills, but rather than having everything available at all times you have to think ahead and go with specific loadouts for specific purposes, or go with something that gives you a good balance for PvPing incase you unexpectedly get attacked by some enemy players and dont have time to switch your loadouts before youre you enter combat.

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

This is exactly what I was thinking.. Two was plenty in Skyrim and it's obvious they are trying to shift closer to that style after the poor initial response to the game.

If they have 6 skills they could just have directional movement set for each slot;

• Click & Hold, Tap Directional Forward = Ability Slot # 1
    • Click & Hold, Tap Directional Right = Ability Slot # 2
    • Click & Hold, Tap Directional Back = Ability Slot # 3
    • Click & Hold, Tap Directional Left = Ability Slot # 4
    • Click & Hold, Double Tap Directional Forward = Ability Slot # 5
    • Click & Hold, Double Tap Directional Back = Ability Slot # 6
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by halflife25

It is not same as GW2. Only thing same is fewer skills on hotbar. In TESO you can use and swap skills according to your choice where as in GW2 your weapon skills are fixed.

Exactly lol, some people need to actually listen to what the devs and the people who have actually played the game have said.

Repeat after me GW2 fanatics ..TESO is not gw2, TESO is not GW2, now tap those heals together.

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148

WoW pretty much ruined mmos by making it so you had 30 buttons to push.  I know other mmos did this before them, but not to their crazy extent.  Even city of heroes gets up to 20 by late game, 30 for some more hardcore types.

It doesn't matter how many buttons you are pushing.  Most the time you are switching from cooldown to cooldown, playing whackamole with abilities rather than really doing any sort of meaningful thinking.  In TESO apparently there's no timed cooldowns, a nice change really.  In GW2, there's no resource management, it's all spam 4 buttons as they come off cooldowns.

Instead of more buttons, how about fewer buttons that change what they do based on context.  That way people can relax with their fingers resting in position instead of pecking all over the place.   People complain about one click macros in Rift, but honestly that's the only thing that made that game bearable at high level.  Having to go down a row of skills due to cooldowns is pointless.