Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Planetside 2 = success.....now what?

2»

Comments

• ignore_meignore_me Member, Newbie CommonPosts: 1,987
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Originally posted by BizkitNL

Not to derail this, but I'm pretty sure there are more people playing and enjoying the game than there are people complaining about how they want PS1 back. So yeah, it's gonna be a success, but one without the disgruntled vets in it.

Fun fact: Smedley already stated that there are more people playing PS2 on a daily basis than there were people playing PS1 :P.

Anyway, I hate it how they cancelled the next Battlefront! As buggy as the last one was, it was tons of fun.

I'm not a PS1 vet so I don't know how they feel, can a vet please explain the differences and explain why they want PS1 back or its better then PS2? I don't understand because all I've heard was PS1 is better but no explanation or clarification.

PS1 had doors that you had to hack open, and it also had bases that insulated infantry from vehicle attacks better. I agree that PS1 was better in this regard, but I'm scary addicted to PS2 even in its current state.

Survivor of the great MMORPG Famine of 2011

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Wouldn't call PS1 universally better, but there is the sane that the lattice network gave more flow to combat, and the certification system was more open ended to how you wished to tailor your play. By the end of the game's lifetime vehicles were considerably more varied as well.

All in all for me my main gripe would be the cert system and the disappearance of the inventory.

I liked the fact you had to manage your character's resources on-person and could tailor each loadout across any set of certifications. Like I had a specifically support driven character that had the medic tool and repair tool. Combined with heavy armor meant I could still carry a rifle and a bit of ammo for emergency problems, but could focus largely on keeping allies up.

Or alternatively using heavy armor and a lasher with a hacking tool in a hot drop.

Just can't do that no more and it makes me sad. ._.

Still a great game though, plenty of other additions PS1 didn't have. Just matter of preference.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645

Thanks for the clarifications, I definetly see how you feel, and I feel the same way except toward a different game, SWG.......

If I was a PS1 vet I'd probably feel as you guys do. It sucks because MMOs nowadays are going easy lobby mode with everything given to them.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• iNeokiiNeoki Member UncommonPosts: 353

I played in PS alpha development stages, and then played that game many years. Also been involved in the early testing stages of PS2. SOE is a company desperately seeking profits out of a new game, they scrapped over 10 different games just to make this one work. So yes, the cash shop is a low blow to many of us. But it's better than getting nothing at all for us die hard MMOFPS fans that are sick and tired of COD/Battlefield games.

As for the topic, I would love to take the skies in an advanced tie and take on rebel scum in their x and a wing fighters! I'd totally be down for SOE and Lucas Arts giving the go ahead on making this type of game. Yes it'd be a "PS2 Clone" but really, would we rather have more COD/BF clones? :P

TwitchTV: iNeoki

Originally posted by NeokiNaomi

I played in PS alpha development stages, and then played that game many years. Also been involved in the early testing stages of PS2. SOE is a company desperately seeking profits out of a new game, they scrapped over 10 different games just to make this one work. So yes, the cash shop is a low blow to many of us. But it's better than getting nothing at all for us die hard MMOFPS fans that are sick and tired of COD/Battlefield games.

As for the topic, I would love to take the skies in an advanced tie and take on rebel scum in their x and a wing fighters! I'd totally be down for SOE and Lucas Arts giving the go ahead on making this type of game. Yes it'd be a "PS2 Clone" but really, would we rather have more COD/BF clones? :P

haha good point.

I'd love to be on the Mandolorian faction taking down the old sith empire, the empire during vader's time, and both imp and rebel scum :D, Also taking out the filthy seperatists and clone troopers, k I'll stop. :D

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    No i'm sick of star wars it's an over used outdated IP.
    Originally posted by Istavaan

Do you have an idea for a new IP for sci-fi? Lots of sci-fi IPs failed.

star wars has the worst collection of games of any IP.

not SWG pre-cu. :)

that's one game and they ruined that in the end too.

that's one game and they ruined that in the end too.

Blame LA

• kalrhaelkalrhael Member Posts: 87
    Originally posted by WhiteLantern

"A star wars MMOFPS, why not?"

I rather enjoyed Republic Commando...............

That game needs a sequel so badly. Although It would definitely be better off in a left 4 dead format, and maybe some RPG thrown into the mix for power progression and weapon unlocks.

But there is DEFINITELY room in the industy for a starwars mmofps. 

• BeanpuieBeanpuie Member UncommonPosts: 812

voted no

1. fans/critcs- will pick it apart before it even see's the light of day, from lack of heroes all the way down to lore inaccuracies, then the mmo purests...yes purests (see some of the posts from PS2 threads in what they think) will clamour about lack of crafting, pve and raids - while ignoring the main features placed on the list AND what said company is specifically aiming for. they want their glow sticks now now now..

2. IP stranglehold-   See the backlash of SWG, SWTOR, Champion Online, STO when you either, a. half ass things.  b. make short term choices  and/or c. try to please everyone. , with a mmofps as this,  companies (like lucasarts) want their hand in the cookiejar as much as possible to call the shots, REGARDLESS of who's accountable at the end; its all about the greenbacks.

3. The Engine -  Starwars MMOFPS to use the Forgelight engine?  not gonna happen,not with SOE saying hell no to IP games. try to pull that off with anything else including the research manhours to work said magic while marketing goes behind your back and hype everything up, making it next to impossible to that bar of both popular and financial success, oh ya- lets try to do it in a 2 year span im sure it can be done.. right cryptic??

4. Companies -  despite MMOFPS being still a open market,  what big company with balls of steel would fight such a monster as a Star wars MMOFPS?  turbine? funcom? arenanet? ....SOE???... what of the others?   not gonna happen - the marketing wouldnt even get past the pitch before the fork and pitchforks start being hurled at their direction.

so what about the Indiecrowd?  if you wanna wait a long time and hope they dont go into a mental breakdown in the middle of making such a game.

Too many risks for this idea.

• chilly15450chilly15450 Member Posts: 16
    You know the beta forum is just full of angry vets. Alot of those are just 50 percent of the community. But I think this game will get better in the future. Either way you hate this game or not. I'm still going to play it after launch.
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

screw starwars..

what kind of EQN are we going to get when the maps are 64 square kilometers (25 square miles) each?

• rendusrendus Member UncommonPosts: 329
    Let's see what the deep Disney pockets can do with the Star Wars IP.