Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic: Player Feedback Integral to Update Changes

Comments

• rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Originally posted by ForumPvP

EA.

After this failure it will be easier to understand why free to play is so last season.

yup.

the new model is buy to play.

not in terms of  "buy the game" but "buy the content".

if i buy a Flashpoint for Cartel points for example, it is mine forver and i should be able to play it forever.

• aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    wait so does that mean ima have to buy the contents to keep it forever? im an old subscriber
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by aligada87
    do they have any plans on updating the open world pvp of swtor? like making it have a purpose

Once games switch from subscription to F2P, they rarely improve gameplay.  They just add the same old content over and over.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    do they have any plans on updating the open world pvp of swtor? like making it have a purpose

Once games switch from subscription to F2P, they rarely improve gameplay.  They just add the same old content over and over.

gah i was in the middle of installing it. but after hearing that made me cancle the installation :/ sigh guess this game is really done for good

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

gah i was in the middle of installing it. but after hearing that made me cancle the installation :/ sigh guess this game is really done for good

One person's wild guess made you uninstall the game? All I can say is Wow.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89
    After reverting the most stupid restriction ever created in any game, ever, they can now say how they listen to feedback. What a surprise!
    Originally posted by DixonHill
    After reverting the most stupid restriction ever created in any game, ever, they can now say how they listen to feedback. What a surprise!

Poor BioWare. Damn if they listen and Damn if they don't listen image

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    Originally posted by vellucci
    "After a ton of player feedback, we are introducing bug fixes into the cartel store! Free players shall recieve one bug fix for free per patch to reward them for joining us for this epic adventure!"

Now that's funny.

Originally posted by Sevenstar61

One person's wild guess made you uninstall the game? All I can say is Wow.

its not just that. like i said im an old subscriber and so i already know how swtor is as it stands now. he was part of the trigger though. i mean the games pve is amazing but im still waiting for that fix where they make open world pvp have meaning to it.  and from all the reports of devs leaving + turning the game into f2p i am stuck with the question of how often will they patch this game up for big contents after this release. i mean will they make good profit from making it f2p. how will f2p convince the minds of new players that the game is awesome. and what happens if the new players who has tried the game uninstalls the game as fast as they installed it. so you see i have lots of questions i'm asking myself right now. i guess ill just wait and see how this new feature will affect swtor and if it can keep the new players interested.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533

The entire model has too many restricitons even with a second bar.  The very fact they originally thought limiting it to one shows how incredibly out of touch they are.  Yet even with that idiotic idea out the window there's still far too many restrictions.  If their idea is to frustrate a player who's playing F2P into a subscription, that's never going to work. 

You frustrate a player with a whole giant array of limitations they'll just uninstall.  They certainly aren't going to subscribe if they haven't already.  That seems to be the idea here though.  Frustrate the player and limit them every which way they turn to such an extent they'll just subscribe.  No, they won't.  They'll just not play. 

Pirates of the Burning Sea did it right.  They restricted only a couple of things.  Ship storage, and crafting.  That was it.  I had so much fun playing for free I subscribed for a bit, to get those minor things unlocked.  That's how you attract players to paying. 

Not to mention aren't they going to have a cash shop?  If they don't already.  Well they can forget about free players buying anything from that, due to being so immensly frustrated during just the first few hours of the game.  They've made their F2P option entirely worthless, even to themselves regarding profit.  The very fact they needed feedback telling them restricting F2P players to one action bar shows these people have absolutely no idea what they are doing.  That in itself is an absolute no brainer. 

I was looking forward to trying Swtor again and just messing around with a friend of mine in the game once it hit F2P.  No way am I touching it now.  Its not even worth the download, free or not, and having played it, its certainly not worth a sub fee, in this universe, or even one far far away. 

• DixonHillDixonHill Member UncommonPosts: 89

They would not have gotten themselves in this dilemma, if they did not make this in my opinion super stupid decission in the first place.  But thats my point, i do not think they are actually so delusional, they thought that was a "good decission". For me this sounds more like they were trying to prepare an ace in the hole. 

• CursedseiCursedsei Member Posts: 1,012

Paleeeaaaaase...

Bioware hasn't been listening, that is the problem. Having been in the beta, and having at least kept a semblance of an eye on the game, it's been obvious from the start that they haven't been paying attention to player concerns, and instead focused moreso on ways to try and bloat out the mid-game more instead of adding meaningful content where it was hurting the most, the end game.

The legacy system, the botched promotions, this barebones weak freemium model, all a result of that one issue. They don't listen, even knowing that they have absolutely no idea on how to handle an MMO or keep up with the necessary amount of content updates and bug fixing patches.

Adding one bar a listener does not make. Neither does adding one more crew skill slot.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222

Yep they are just going to piss off the FTP player even with these changes.  Guess what I did when completed the newbie area in LOTRO and couldn't do a quest...I quit and never looked back.  The same thing will happen here on the no quests will become the wide array of other restrictions.

Hell you'll need a spread sheet to keep track of how many times you've run something and how many items you've looted.

• KenzeKenze Member UncommonPosts: 1,217
    the hotbar restriction is stupid.. even with a sub i found the 4 hotbar to not be enough.. at max level i using all 4 hotbars i had 5 empty hotbuttons. I dont know about the rest of you but i like to group like abilities together and separate each group with a few spaces.. needless to say with just 4 hotbars that was impossible. I hope they add EXTRA hotbars to their cash shop..screw the whole restricting them.

Watch your thoughts; they become words.
    Watch your words; they become actions.
    Watch your actions; they become habits.
    Watch your habits; they become character.
    Watch your character; it becomes your destiny.
    —Lao-Tze

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Corehaven

The entire model has too many restricitons even with a second bar.  The very fact they originally thought limiting it to one shows how incredibly out of touch they are.  Yet even with that idiotic idea out the window there's still far too many restrictions.  If their idea is to frustrate a player who's playing F2P into a subscription, that's never going to work. 

You frustrate a player with a whole giant array of limitations they'll just uninstall.  They certainly aren't going to subscribe if they haven't already.  That seems to be the idea here though.  Frustrate the player and limit them every which way they turn to such an extent they'll just subscribe.  No, they won't.  They'll just not play. 

Pirates of the Burning Sea did it right.  They restricted only a couple of things.  Ship storage, and crafting.  That was it.  I had so much fun playing for free I subscribed for a bit, to get those minor things unlocked.  That's how you attract players to paying. 

Not to mention aren't they going to have a cash shop?  If they don't already.  Well they can forget about free players buying anything from that, due to being so immensly frustrated during just the first few hours of the game.  They've made their F2P option entirely worthless, even to themselves regarding profit.  The very fact they needed feedback telling them restricting F2P players to one action bar shows these people have absolutely no idea what they are doing.  That in itself is an absolute no brainer. 

I was looking forward to trying Swtor again and just messing around with a friend of mine in the game once it hit F2P.  No way am I touching it now.  Its not even worth the download, free or not, and having played it, its certainly not worth a sub fee, in this universe, or even one far far away. 

when F2P was announced I figured you would get access to 1-50 story content with limited flashpoints/warzones a week and no operations and maybe some restrictions on races or companions but why such limits core functions of the game? or even ridiculous things like the color match or hide helmet or the loot rolls.. i just can't understand who sat down and thought this was a good idea... all i can think is they know their bread and butter is the story aspect so if they just gave that away not many would subscribe at all... but this many restrictions i'm afraid is probably not going to end up well for them...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

Originally posted by Kenze
    the hotbar restriction is stupid.. even with a sub i found the 4 hotbar to not be enough.. at max level i using all 4 hotbars i had 5 empty hotbuttons. I dont know about the rest of you but i like to group like abilities together and separate each group with a few spaces.. needless to say with just 4 hotbars that was impossible. I hope they add EXTRA hotbars to their cash shop..screw the whole restricting them.

Subscribers getting additional 2 bars (total 6) and F2P can purchase additional bars (they are going to get 2 bars).

Edit. Based on some calculations:

$2.50  _  Unlock: Additional Quickbar

lol i feel bad for people who will play mar and sentinel if this happens
  • AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    lol i feel bad for people who will play mar and sentinel if this happens

i really don't see how you could play a good number of the classes with this restriction at the higher levels.. you are pretty much forced into buying more quickslot bars.. not that they are expensive.. but still why even make this a restriction?

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• SuperDonkSuperDonk Member UncommonPosts: 759
    Originally posted by Kenze

Subscribers getting additional 2 bars (total 6) and F2P can purchase additional bars (they are going to get 2 bars).

Edit. Based on some calculations:

$2.50  _  Unlock: Additional Quickbar

It still doesn't make it a good idea to limit something like hotbar, expecially in a game like SWTOR that has tons of skills.

Bioware or EA should be able to find different ways to make money instead of monetizing something so integral to playing the game.

Limiting hotbars has to be the worst F2P limitation I have ever heard of and it has already made a lot of people who might of been interested in SWTOR after the conversion decide it will not even be worth the bandwidth required for the download. They have no grasp at all when it comes to thier customers or gamers in general.

• CorehavenCorehaven Member UncommonPosts: 1,533
    Originally posted by Aerowyn

when F2P was announced I figured you would get access to 1-50 story content with limited flashpoints/warzones a week and no operations and maybe some restrictions on races or companions but why such limits core functions of the game? or even ridiculous things like the color match or hide helmet or the loot rolls.. i just can't understand who sat down and thought this was a good idea... all i can think is they know their bread and butter is the story aspect so if they just gave that away not many would subscribe at all... but this many restrictions i'm afraid is probably not going to end up well for them...

If it was as you thought it might have been, then yea, I see little problem with that.  I'd mess around with that. 

However what they're intending to do here would be laughable, yet its so bad, its literally not even funny.  It's just the height of stupidity.   There may have been worse, but this is by far the most restrictions (and the most ridiculous) I've ever seen on a F2P model. 

With these levels of restriction, there's no point in even trying F2P.   There's no point in even logging in to do so.  There's no point to any of it.   They're just wasting money having devs impliment this stuff into the game.  Just scrap the whole F2P concept if you can't do better than that. 

The only thing I can say is I have to give them props on one thing.  It took quite the active imagination to even dream up such restrictions.  I mean, that's actually brainstorming right there.  I won't say its impressive, but it sure is imaginative.  For all the wrong reasons of course. 

• WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

With these levels of restriction, there's no point in even trying F2P.   There's no point in even logging in to do so.  There's no point to any of it.   They're just wasting money having devs impliment this stuff into the game.  Just scrap the whole F2P concept if you can't do better than that. 

The only thing I can say is I have to give them props on one thing.  It took quite the active imagination to even dream up such restrictions.  I mean, that's actually brainstorming right there.  I won't say its impressive, but it sure is imaginative.  For all the wrong reasons of course. 

QFT

• bbbb42bbbb42 Member UncommonPosts: 297
    Man, and i thought Sony's system was crippleware bionubs really took it to the next level ;] glad to see they've learned from past mistakes by making even more 

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381
    I do not need f2p, will always play only on sub mode. Like with any game that have mixed option. 
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749

Yep, active imagination indeed :) we tried to jump their bar yesterday, but it's not possible... in a game where you fill your quickbars at level cap, removing bars is so stupid, it's almost comical. (and we tried really hard to beat them, there were ideas like: "limit the mouse so f2p's couldn't use the right mouse button", or "random gear equip, and f2p's are unable to open the character screen for swapping the gears" :D )

As I said earlier, most of the restrictions are ok, and some of them are a bit harsh. But those could still make a viable f2p setting for some people. Only this bar restriction is hitting some brown material into the fan...

I'm pretty sure they're following Funcom's footsteps and don't even care the fp2 system. They only want to milk their current subscribers a bit more, so they're adding the cash shop - and they start the f2p only to justify it. TOR already has an unlimited trial option (to lvl15 without any restriction, AoC had the same), so anyone who's interested in TOR can use it to play and then subscribe or not. Now EA switching it to a far more restrictive model ("opening up to lvl50"), and they make sure that nobody will play it. But hey, for the subscribers there will be a nice shop with cosmetics and other fluff.

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

Make them pay 25 cents per flashpoint!! Like a video game at the arcade. ( You can still play those for a quarter right? )