Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

FFXIV - How will the combat be?

darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237

I've been a FF fan since FF1 back in 1987.  But have not played FFXI or the old FFXIV.  I have been following XIV ARR somewhat and have seen a few videos but cant really place my finger on the combat.  Open to opinions and other peoples views who may have more insight than I could find.

About me, Im a fan of the hotkey/tab target combat.  Dont like the 'action-y' combat on GW2.  Moves to fast for me to enjoy the RPG aspects.   My specific questions:

Is it tab target?

Am I rooted when fighting?  Or can I move freely?

Other questions I had:

- What is max level? (if its known)

- Will I be able to explore the world or will it be 'focused' like WoW - where they send you to specific locations with no real value looking outside of the quest?

- Will I be able to craft weapons/armor/bags equivalent to what I could by at a said level?  I would love to have the ability to make better weapons than buying them

- Do you have the ability of mulitple jobs?  Or is it class restrictive (Ok with class restriction as gives me a challenge to grow my character with restraints).

- Do enemies level scale?  Or can I go back to a low level and dominate the mobs?

- is the world zoned?  Or open like Vanguard?

- Does the game have the concept of 'raid' end-game?  Never raided before but getting more interested the longer I play MMOs.

- Can you swim?

- Can you ride boats / ships to other areas?  Hoping/assuming they will have airships! (at least at some point).

Not looking for exact answers as I know the game is just being talked about now... but definitely interested in others thoughts.

Thanks,

Comments

• MageickMageick Member UncommonPosts: 102

Is it tab target?

More than likely there will multiple ways of target ie. mouse click, hotkey, but tab I'm sure will be a viable option.

Am I rooted when fighting? Or can I move freely?

You can move freely but it doesn't mean anything, from what I've read there is no dodging like in GW2, more of a numbers game.

Other questions I had:

- What is max level? (if its known)

Level Cap is at 50 right now.

- Will I be able to explore the world or will it be 'focused' like WoW - where they send you to specific locations with no real value looking outside of the quest?

I'm sure you will be able to explore the world, mob levels on the other hand might make some areas difficult to really be in.

- Will I be able to craft weapons/armor/bags equivalent to what I could by at a said level? I would love to have the ability to make better weapons than buying them

Crafting is FFXIV is very in-depth, you'll be able to craft weapons, armor, even furniture and other things for your house. While inventory is set with no "bags" in FFXI there were quests you could complete to increase inventory size, plus you'll have your 'mog house' for inventory also.

- Do you have the ability of mulitple jobs? Or is it class restrictive (Ok with class restriction as gives me a challenge to grow my character with restraints).

One of the greatest things in FFXI and FFXIV is you can change your job (ie class) very easily. So on one char you can max every job and every craft. It really is the best system I have played in any MMO.

- Do enemies level scale? Or can I go back to a low level and dominate the mobs?

As far as I know there is no scaling of mobs.

- is the world zoned? Or open like Vanguard?

If it is anything like FFXI areas will be instanced like zones, but these are usually very big and the system works great, not once in FFXI did I feel like I was alone, The system gives the feeling of a open world.

- Does the game have the concept of 'raid' end-game? Never raided before but getting more interested the longer I play MMOs.

I don't think there is very much info on endgame for ARR, but there was a very healthy endgame for FFXI and I bet SE can get it right a 2nd time.

- Can you swim?

from all the gameplay videos I've seen there is no swimming so I'm saying no.

- Can you ride boats / ships to other areas? Hoping/assuming they will have airships! (at least at some point).

Yes you sure can!

• darkhalf357xdarkhalf357x Member UncommonPosts: 1,237
    Thanks alot Mageick! :-)