Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Final Fantasy XIV: This Momentous Occasion

1235»

Comments

• YaoimanYaoiman Member Posts: 51

I've been playing Final Fantasy XI and Final Fantasy XIV for years using a gamepad and the controlls are perfect. DC Universe controls are great too.

Controls work fine on a keybored and mouse or a gamepad so obviously you are wrong and you shouldn't spout ignorant nonsense about things you don't know about.

A reader lives a thousand lives before he dies, the man who never reads lives only one.

We will always remember your sacrifice, Louisoux!

• KcebEnyawKcebEnyaw Member Posts: 29
    Originally posted by silverreign

how is the combat supposed to be? i like the rift, gw2 type of controls as opposed to the tera or dc universe type.

The combat system is not fully detailed yet, but here are a few things we know.

-All melee Weapon Skill will run on a short shared cooldown last reported to be 3 seconds

-Players can initiate a combo by using a Weaponskill from a Specific direction which will allow them to follow-up with connecting skills from any direction

-Players will have 1000 Tech Point used for WS that start fully charged and regen over time

-It is estimated a player can used 6 Weapon Skills in rapid succesion before running out of Tech Points

-Magic Spell will funtion similarly, but will use a different pool, Magic Points

-Durring combat party will fill a Limit Break guage that can be initiated to activate an Ultimate Team skill. This guage is shared among all party members.

-All players will be able to summon a customizable combat ready Chocobo to fight alongside them.

-Combat Chocobos will have their own advancement system and can fill any standard party role, tank healer caster or damage dealer

That's bascly all i can remember off the top of my head.

Originally posted by sadeyx

I read everything I wanted to know when I read this :

"a PC version and a PS3"

NO!    MMO's with a control system design for a pad, DO NOT WORK.

Have fun with this product,  but I'll not even be researching anymore about this, nor will I be reccomending it to anyone.

FFXIV:ARR has two completely independant UIs.

The PC UI is based heavily on the western style WoW made Famous.

The Controller UI is a completely new UI for an MMO that looks to be, in my opinion, the greatest leap forward in MMO UI in a very long time.

For controllers, players will slot skills, item, emote and macros to 16 slots. 8 of them are activate while holding L2, 8 are activated by holding R2. While holding either of these two buttons players can activate the 8 designated skills by pressing Up, Down, Left, Right, X, O, Triangle or Square.

Players can swap through multiple sets of skills by holding L2 and R2 and pressing UP or Down.

The UI is displayed on the game in as Four Crosses. Two for the L2 sets and two for the R2 sets. This allows players to instantly recognize the location on the controller that the skill is slotted to.

This link will display a SS of the Controller UI

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/media/screenshots

Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by TangentPoint
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by MadnessRealm
    Originally posted by dimmit77
    I stopped reading at : "A Realm Reborn will feature a PC version and a PS3 version ... "

FFXI supported PC, Playstation 2 and Xbox 360 ... I don't see what the big deal is.

I despised the controls for the PC version, as it was nothing more than a bastardized version of the console game.  I'm sick to death of companies who are too damn lazy to make seperate interfaces and control paradigms for the multiple platforms they claim to support.

It's been explained (again, not demonstrated yet) that there will be multiple control configurations. One specific to the PC which is in line with what a PC MMO gamer would be used to. There will be 2 (I believe) setups for console - one using the gamepad, another (presumably) using mouse and keyboard peripherals.

So, playing on a PC will feel more appropriate for PC. Playing on a Console will feel more appropriate for a console.

This was in regards to your FFXI comment, a game mind you that had a horrible PC interface and control mechanic.  I know they "say" they will have an appropriate PC control scheme for the updated FFXIV, but I'll wait and see before I believe.

enjoy.

http://na.finalfantasyxiv.com/img/screenshots/FINALFANTASY_XIV_ARR_PUB_02.jpg

• SanhimeSanhime Member Posts: 1
    Originally posted by sadeyx

I read everything I wanted to know when I read this :

"a PC version and a PS3"

NO!    MMO's with a control system design for a pad, DO NOT WORK.

Have fun with this product,  but I'll not even be researching anymore about this, nor will I be reccomending it to anyone.

Gamepad works well.  FFXI (and even DC Univ) does a great job at it.  Number 8 sounds like a good step. as far as ammo goes.  As a long time RNG in FFXI, the ammo/shihei system worked well (pre-abysea days), but very ANNOYING and expensive, this is especially true in the old school FFXI before Abysea XP leeching.

The least SE could to do now is make the client free, they get plenty of money from subscriptions.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

This will have housing at (re)launch?

I didn't know that....

Even more excited then before mow :)

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Sanhime

The least SE could to do now is make the client free, they get plenty of money from subscriptions.

oh good lord... if you haven't bought the game before then you haven't any right to tell them what they 'should do now'. This to you is a brand new game and should be treated as such.

Getting really bored of cheap gamers that don't want to pay to support the hobby they profess to love tbh.