Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen: Surpasses $2M in Funding

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Chris Roberts has announced that his company, Cloud Imperium, has raised over $2M in funding required to complete Star Citizen. Added to Star Citizen's original Cloud Source funding, the game maker has surpassed $2M goal.

“The amount of support from our fans has been overwhelming,” Roberts said. “We had a few hiccups on our own site in the first week of operation, which led us to open up the Kickstarter page. Kickstarter provided better scalability for us and additional options for our fans. In the end, this is all about breathing new life into the PC games business. PC gamers have been left on the sidelines for the last few years. I want to utilize all the new technology that a PC can provide and bring space sims back into the modern area with a bang.

Find out more about Star Citizen.

UPDATE: As of this morning (10/25) at 6AM, Star Citizen is fully funded and has surpassed its $2 MLN goal. Combined funding from Kickstarter and RSI has made this possible.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    well grats... I guess...
  • darkedone02darkedone02 Member UncommonPosts: 581
    This look awesome, in the future, I would love the ability to MAKE my own ship in game, and i'm talking a big vast customization and requirements to make a ship, I'm litterly talking a space ship construction simulation. The More I play, the more I unlock to customize my ships that I made.

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    It is nice to see non vaporware titles get this kind of backing...
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• AnubisanAnubisan Member UncommonPosts: 1,798

I'm glad they have met the goal on the kickstarter site. I think they may fall short on the main crowdfunding... 

I REALLY want this game to happen. Hopefully they will have enough with the two combined.

• ZefireZefire Member Posts: 676

Hope they succeed.

B2p hell yeah!!!

• kishekishe Member UncommonPosts: 2,012
    Been looking for good replacement for X3...TAKE MY MONEY!
  • OpapanaxOpapanax Member Posts: 973

I'm keeping my eye on this one for sure. It's good to see that they've met their Kickstarter goal. I just subscribed back to EVE but took a break because I was looking for something a bit more (More I know right)..

One of my issues with EVE was always about the explorations and development of the game outside of just the spaceships themselves. The world of EVE Online is very, very authentic and rich, I would love to see how the world would be constructed and feel if it was taken a step further.

Not completely sure if Star Citizen will reach that feeling I'm looking for, but this is the only thing on the horizon right now, that might have even a near chance of competing with EVE as far as space sim goes..

PM before you report at least or you could just block.

• IsawaIsawa Member UncommonPosts: 1,051
    Originally posted by Anubisan

I'm glad they have met the goal on the kickstarter site. I think they may fall short on the main crowdfunding... 

I REALLY want this game to happen. Hopefully they will have enough with the two combined.

ATM they are extremely close, with the two combined, so I see them clearing the 2mil by a good amount once both of these are finished.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219

This could be a huge hit in the making... history being made right before your eyes... time to hit hyperbole speed!!

Very good to see kickstarter making a big contribution to different genres being served.

• DrevarDrevar Member UncommonPosts: 177
    I just hope the self run crowdfunding "hiccup" isn't an omen of things to come.  He talks a good talk, but "stuff" happens along the way that may cause the development to turn back down the path that he is currently railing against.

"If MMORPG players were around when God said, "Let their be light" they'd have called the light gay, and plunged the universe back into darkness by squatting their nutsacks over it."
    -Luke McKinney, The 7 Biggest Dick Moves in the History of Online Gaming

"In the end, SWG may have been more potential and promise than fulfilled expectation. But I'd rather work on something with great potential than on fulfilling a promise of mediocrity."
    -Raph Koster

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    A big CONGRATS!
  • Xondar123Xondar123 Member CommonPosts: 2,543
    I pitched in a bit of money. I'm glad to see the money pouring in and hope this game is a complete success.
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    starting to look bad for eve online
  • JakdstripperJakdstripper Member RarePosts: 2,410
     ....good. now we'll actually see how much talk this guy can actually walk....
  • aligada87aligada87 Member UncommonPosts: 234
    if he delivers on what he says. it will be the first biggest sci-fi space mmo that has everyones been dreaming of
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235

i would play this.. although i am not a fan of a space theme game ( eventhough i love star wars ) 

but if i can be what i can be.. i will definitely give it a try, and yes graphics are awesome!

So What Now?

• PsychowPsychow Member Posts: 1,784
    I'm a backer. Will be a nice treat when it releases in a couple years.
  • AtohAtoh Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Seriously, if even half of what he's talking about gets implemented at launch, I'm going to have to get an IV and find a way to work from home. I've been waiting for a Freelancer-esque (Too young for wing commander) MMOG for a long time.
  • lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    from an year from now .all these praisers will be spitting on this title . moral " never give out money till the product is in finished state .
  • XasapisXasapis Member RarePosts: 6,337
    It's been a while since I needed a stick and throttle to play a game (simulator or anything similar to flying). It'll be nice to return to that era of gaming again.
  • OlgarkOlgark Member UncommonPosts: 342
    I can't wait to see this game in action. Loved Freelancer and Wing Commander.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper
     ....good. now we'll actually see how much talk this guy can actually walk....

Haha, well said: He's dancing to the backers tune, however, so it should be good I think. :)

• CaldrinCaldrin Member UncommonPosts: 4,505

Will be backing this on their main site as soon as i get paid this month..

The games this guy makes are awesome.. and i even kinda liked the wing commander film :)

they are 600k off the mark on their main site with 15 days to go so i think they will make it :)

• tom_goretom_gore Member UncommonPosts: 2,001
    Total of 2M reached, so the first funding goal is a go.
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,235
    wait a minute.. is this MMO or single player ?

nevermind--- just found the forum about this

So What Now?