Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Rift server merges today and more patch woes for warriors

13»

Comments

• VorthanionVorthanion Member RarePosts: 2,749
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Vorthanion
    Originally posted by Alyvian

DoF, first expansion jsut added endgame stuff, so did the second one (i think), they just started adding starter areas with expansions at i think it was eof (a few years into the game).

so no, they dindt, i would even go as far as claim that neither did eq1 or wow add starter stuff at that scale with their expansions but i didnt play either so 

Ruins of Kunark, their first expansion added a whole new continent, new race (Iksar) and a whole new level 1+ progression route just for the Iksar and anyone who wanted to head over there from the old world.  Shadows of Luclin, second expansion, added a whole new world, Luclin Moon, new race (Vah Shir), whole new level 1+ progression route just for the new race and anyone who wanted to get there from the old world.  Most of EQ's other expansions offered lower level content if not level 1 stuff as well as mid to high end stuff.

Luclin was third expansion.

Second expansion was Velious, which didnt add level 1 content but it started at lvl 30 or so, so wasnt just endgame only.

While I may have gotten the order incorrect, the point stands.  The fact of the matter is that EQ had various expansions that did in fact cater to new and low level content, where most modern games tend to stick with high levels for the majority of theirs especially when it comes to early expansions.

P.S.  I just looked it up on Wiki, Kunark was the first expansion, velious was the second.  Luclin was the third and Serpent's Spine was the twelfth.  I also want to add that while Legends of Ykesha (fifth expansion) added a new race, Guktan, it didn't add level 1 content, but it did add a lot of mid level stuff along with higher level content as did the Lost Dungeons of Norrath(sixth expansion).

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by strangiato2112
    Originally posted by Alyvian

DoF, first expansion jsut added endgame stuff, so did the second one (i think), they just started adding starter areas with expansions at i think it was eof (a few years into the game).

so no, they dindt, i would even go as far as claim that neither did eq1 or wow add starter stuff at that scale with their expansions but i didnt play either so 

Ruins of Kunark, their first expansion added a whole new continent, new race (Iksar) and a whole new level 1+ progression route just for the Iksar and anyone who wanted to head over there from the old world.  Shadows of Luclin, second expansion, added a whole new world, Luclin Moon, new race (Vah Shir), whole new level 1+ progression route just for the new race and anyone who wanted to get there from the old world.  Most of EQ's other expansions offered lower level content if not level 1 stuff as well as mid to high end stuff.

Luclin was third expansion.

Second expansion was Velious, which didnt add level 1 content but it started at lvl 30 or so, so wasnt just endgame only.

While I may have gotten the order incorrect, the point stands.  Seriously, you're going to use that as an excuse to prove yourself right?  The fact of the matter is that EQ had various expansions that did in fact cater to new and low level content, where most modern games tend to stick with high levels for the majority of theirs.

I actually added to your point, not went against it.  Even the expansion that didnt add starter zones still added midlevel content.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

With the onset of games turning to the F2P model to survive I think rift has done brilliantly to last this long, like it or hate it but rift has been the most successful subscription based game since wow. 

The other thing trion has done better than wow is in how fast new content is being released. 

• William12William12 Member Posts: 680

If you have played the beta you would know they tripled the size of the world stop looking at maps and thinking you know what you're talking about go play the game.   The new continents isnt the only thing that increases the size, new dungeons new raids  etc.

The best thing about this is it stops the spliting of the games playerbase now guardian and defiant play together.  That by itself will make the game seem more alive.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by William12

If you have played the beta you would know they tripled the size of the world stop looking at maps and thinking you know what you're talking about go play the game.   The new continents isnt the only thing that increases the size, new dungeons new raids  etc.

I played the beta.  I am speaking from experience.

and if you count dungeons and raids, SL is adding less dungeons and raids than currently exist so that hurts its cause for tripling the size.  I wasnt even factoring them into the equation.

• XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,855

I think this applies to this conversation

It doesnt matter if Storm Legion doubles or triples the game world, its still a very small game world.