Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Costume Brawling is boring .. Am I missing the fun factor?

KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

Yesterday ArenaNet did a Q&A webcast, in which Costume Brawling was described as a really fun activity to participate in.  After jumping into brawling today for 5 minutes, I was left wondering when the fun part is coming.  After a good while longer, it still never came.

The costumes are cute and all, but you just stand around and spam all the action keys for that costume type, keeping everything on cooldown.  There is no real skill involved, no strategy, no penalties.  You don't take damage and you can't be killed (just knocked out for 5 seconds if you take enough hits).  You just stand around, hit others, spam buttons, and see the Batman captions etc.  BAM WHAM POW.

There are achievements for the number of people you temporarily knock out, but it seems more of a pointless test to see how much someone can suffer through.  It is not really very fun or challenging.  Getting into costume and watching yourself /dance for 2 hours seems more entertaining.  Is there something I'm missing?

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Comments

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

No, you didn't miss anything. 

Costume brawl is boring and week.

• Creslin321Creslin321 Member Posts: 5,359

When I did costume brawl, I thought it was pretty dumb.  But maybe that was because Lion's Arch was so crowded that I couldn't even see the other players due to constant pop-in.  I dunno, I'll give it another shot later, but so far, stupid.

I would much rather they just add regular dueling to the game.

Are you team Azeroth, team Tyria, or team Jacob?

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426
    It's pretty boring. GW1's version (arenas with pre-determined skills based on your character) was much better.
  • XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Costume brawl is boring. Had more fun collecting the pages for the mad king book.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    They are spending resources on this? How about fixing WvW to make it worth your while instead of stupid stuff like this.
  • cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    no offense to the fan boys and girls of this game but can you see why people give this game such a bad rep now after release? There is glaring issues with the game since release especially in world vs world and people spend dev time making stupid crap like this. I understand that different departments do different things but they could easily be focused on content updates and revamping the issues with world vs world instead of releasing stuff that majority of the players do not even like to begin with. I used to hate Rift and Trion big time to the point of bad mouthing them, same with funcom but honestly after keeping up with Guild Wars2 i have a new respect for both those studios actually wanting to fix their games based off player feedback and working with the community.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by cronius77
    no offense to the fan boys and girls of this game but can you see why people give this game such a bad rep now after release? There is glaring issues with the game since release especially in world vs world and people spend dev time making stupid crap like this. I understand that different departments do different things but they could easily be focused on content updates and revamping the issues with world vs world instead of releasing stuff that majority of the players do not even like to begin with. I used to hate Rift and Trion big time to the point of bad mouthing them, same with funcom but honestly after keeping up with Guild Wars2 i have a new respect for both those studios actually wanting to fix their games based off player feedback and working with the community.

A.Net said they are fixing things but Halloween was a big thing in GW1 and they wanted to also have it in GW2. The other issues are getting fixed with care. I am happy they are not taking out the "Trion' nerf bat. Give them the time they need to do it right rather than quick. What I mean by this is Trion actually killed whole builds rather than doing judicious tweaking. Careful tweaking takes time.

People are so impatient these days.

• mazutmazut Member UncommonPosts: 988
    Sadly, Costume brawl in GW1 is maybe the best mini game... They are ofc nothing alike :/
  • RefMinorRefMinor Member UncommonPosts: 3,452

That's what happens in a F2P cash shop game, developers follow the cash shop loot when allocating resource.

• SomeOldBlokeSomeOldBloke Member UncommonPosts: 2,167
    I seem to be missing a lot were GW2 is concerned.
  • rygard49rygard49 Member UncommonPosts: 973
    Does anybody else feel like holiday events in MMOs are totally immersion breaking? It's like when your favorite serious TV show does a spooooky Halloween episode and takes the characters totally outside of their normal bounds. It's pandering.
  • EvilestTwinEvilestTwin Member Posts: 286

The Halloween patch actually came with a ton of fixes, especially for elementalists.   The elementalist downed state is actually GOOD now, as opposed to the most useless downed state in the game by far.  Karma rewards were basically added to everything as well as new DE's across the world.

There were quite a few WvWvW fixes as well as one that was supposed to fix crashing due to # of players being rendered.   Unfortunately, that fix kind of backfired as it introduced a new bug that makes WvWvW currently unplayable.   

Their response time for issues has been fairly stellar, definitely faster and better thatn many other subscription based MMOs that have recently come out.  

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Yes, the patch is great overall. Not only did it introduce a ton of new content both for Halloween and normal gameplay, but it also fixed numerous bugs and balance issues. However, the Costume Brawl is a bit disappointing, especially because I expected it to be GW1-like. Here's hoping they don't do the same thing to snowball fights.

The "F2P cash shop game" nonsense is and has always been just that, nonsense.

• Methos12Methos12 Member UncommonPosts: 1,244
    Originally posted by rygard49
    Does anybody else feel like holiday events in MMOs are totally immersion breaking? It's like when your favorite serious TV show does a spooooky Halloween episode and takes the characters totally outside of their normal bounds. It's pandering.

Not if it's actually lore-friendly like this one is. You don't just plop Christmas trees and pumpkins into your SF game without a good reason, for example. Arena Net has had a tight grip on their lore so far.

Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.
  • PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145
    Originally posted by Yamota
    They are spending resources on this? How about fixing WvW to make it worth your while instead of stupid stuff like this.

What glaring problems in WvW? If anyone mentions one they get their post deleted or banned so I have no idea what you're talking about.

• NaeviusNaevius Member UncommonPosts: 334

When the event went live last night, spontaneous costume brawling broke out and it was quite fun. Nobody knew which costumes had which skills, so everybody was changing form constantly.

But hey, you can please some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time...

• L0C0ManL0C0Man Member UncommonPosts: 1,065
    I only had the chance to play it for a little while today, but personally I found it kinda fun, a pointless different thing to do just for fun. Then again, I was also the guy that back in WoW loved the toy robot fight in christmas, always carried snowballs around to pelt people with (I loved it when the snowballs actually knocked you down, an epic snowball war started with a friend when he was trying to mount after killing the greench and I kept knocking him down with snowballs) and kept playing with the tonks in the darkmoon faire. Just plain mindless fun.

What can men do against such reckless hate?

• PivotelitePivotelite Member UncommonPosts: 2,145

Just read this forum and decided to try it in Lions arch, damn, that is awful, get in a costume immediately knocked down, dazed, feared, knocked down...hmm...start hitting people and all I see are the same "BAMs" I get with my boxing gloves, except the gloves are cooler and don't get me stunned, feared, and knockeddown.

Very underwhelming and pointless IMO.

• DignaDigna Member UncommonPosts: 1,994

I didn't mind the knockdowns/knockouts but I wasn't impressed with it. Moreover I am somewhat insulted with the 'this is fun, come and do it!' in the hopes that I will be inclined to agree and have fun just because someone told me it would be.

There's no reason other than a 2-3 min stint  to say 'yeah..okay...move back to the game'.

Happy with the fixes but the event is very dull.

For the real annoyance is the candy corn. They made them mining nodes. Why? Or if they had to, why not make them pumpkin faces or little candy corn icons. I use the mini-map to target nodes but I rarely mouse over them to see what they are. A Node is a node. Now I run over and once I get in sight..oh..candy corn...yay....

edited for typo

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by L0C0Man
    I only had the chance to play it for a little while today, but personally I found it kinda fun, a pointless different thing to do just for fun. Then again, I was also the guy that back in WoW loved the toy robot fight in christmas, always carried snowballs around to pelt people with (I loved it when the snowballs actually knocked you down, an epic snowball war started with a friend when he was trying to mount after killing the greench and I kept knocking him down with snowballs) and kept playing with the tonks in the darkmoon faire. Just plain mindless fun.

Well the stuff you mentioned was more interesting in WoW than brawling is in GW2.  That is, when WoW was an overall more intricate MMORPG, years ago.

Couldn't tonks (toy robot RC car) dodge attacks?  Been a few years, but were attacks "heat seeking" missiles?  It was fast paced with plenty of movement and steering.  I remember plenty of places to duck for cover, and when it was clear, coming back out to shoot a couple rounds.  Tonk fights would have been really lame if every tonk just stood on top of each other and spammed abilities.

The WoW snowballs were fun too before they were nerfed into nothingness.  They added to existing game mechanics originally, usable anywhere, with a penalty to the victim, sometimes a fairly grave penalty too, depending on the circumstances.  Costume Brawling is limited & seems forgettable.

Hopefully ArenaNet does something different and more satisfying in future holiday events.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• Dreamo84Dreamo84 Member UncommonPosts: 3,713

Tons of strategy if you know how to play! I use the pirate costume and pop the boon that prevents me from getting hit for like 5 seconds, then charge! Or I set up a cannon in a secure spot, and fire away!

Also, lots of people hide using ranged stuff or use different tactics to avoid getting hit while hitting the most players.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

Fixing issues have always been Trions strongest point. 

But FunCom is just a low blow, these are the people who took 9 months to fix up AoC enough to be playworthy, every patched they made in the beginning broke more than it fixed.

Anet have a small team making a few holiday events each year, they probably been working on this for a long while and it frankly is not that much work. I dont see the problem with that, most MMOs have holiday events and had so since 2001 or so.

They do constantly fix stuff, this is just fluff but these are not the people who crushes bugs and balances anyways. Some people really like holiday stuff, let them have their fun.

Me, I just use them to earn some extra gold.

• ebonizedebonized Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Fendel84M

Tons of strategy if you know how to play! I use the pirate costume and pop the boon that prevents me from getting hit for like 5 seconds, then charge! Or I set up a cannon in a secure spot, and fire away!

Also, lots of people hide using ranged stuff or use different tactics to avoid getting hit while hitting the most players.

This.

For the 15 minutes I thought it was stupid as hell too. Then I tried out the various outfits, realized what the buffs on my skillbar were, and it all came together. Spent another 15 minutes getting the whole hang of it and honestly, it's a blast. It's all about dodging (yes, you need to dodge like any other part of the game), timing, and avoiding combat when you're low on your health buff (gotta watch it all times)

• QSatuQSatu Member UncommonPosts: 1,796

It's just a mindless fun and occupies people. Considering how many people just run arnound do costuume brawl, try to get to the cauldron to get new random form I think it is working as intended. It's supposed to give people something fast to do when they have nothing else to do.

And sorry but just b/c someone thinks something is a problem it doesn't mean that company has to stop developing everything and do only this one thing. Sometimes it feels like most people on this forum would kill even the best mmo withing a year if they were in charge.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by QSatu

It's just a mindless fun and occupies people. Considering how many people just run arnound do costuume brawl, try to get to the cauldron to get new random form I think it is working as intended. It's supposed to give people something fast to do when they have nothing else to do.

And sorry but just b/c someone thinks something is a problem it doesn't mean that company has to stop developing everything and do only this one thing. Sometimes it feels like most people on this forum would kill even the best mmo withing a year if they were in charge.

^ also like others said try messing with differn't costumes.. it is a lot of mindless fun which imho is fine it's just a game afterall:)

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg