Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Diablo franchise pretty much defunct now?

13»

Comments

• madazzmadazz Member RarePosts: 2,100
    Originally posted by nariusseldon
    Originally posted by simmihi

Yes, the game sold extremely well, as i've posted, but that's a thing of the past. They have those money already. Currently, Blizzard earns only from RMAH sales. I do not have access to their RMAH sales, but i know a lot of people in game and neither me or them sold anything lately in the RMAH. Therefore, my feelings are that RMAH does not bring "enough" to the table right now for Blizzard. The way to further monetize Diablo is to launch expansions. My bet is that they deliberately split the game into two or three, in order to sell two or three boxes (that's where their main income comes from). That was my point, sorry if it was not clear.

Hmm .. this is a box game .. of course it made money on initial sales. RMAH can never be that big just because there is the gold AH. RMAH is really gravy.

The next big thing is not selling more D3 .. but selling D3 expansions, which were already anounced.

While people didn't get entirely what they wanted with D3, I bet the expansions still sell like hotcakes! I enjoyed the game but was saddened when it didn't offer the amount of replay I wanted (not my type at least). If the expansions are fairly priced, hell even I am in for one.

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Started playing this again recently.

Issues with the first go with the game, at launch, was that progression stopped pretty quick.  Inferno was nearly unplayble past a certain act.  Gear was near impossible to find making the issue of inferno being too much death more of a pain.  It was litereally one to two shots by anything killed you unless you were a good tank.

So anyway, inferno is now fun to run, its fast, lots of action, a bit more forgiving.  Loot drops more often.  Paragon levels adds another 100 levels and gives standard stats per level and megic find and gold find bonuses per level up untill it caps out...meaning once you max that youll never need to stack magic and gold find on gear.  Also some decent gear is now pretty easy to purchase on the AH (for in game money).  Monster power is a setting 1-10 you can set your game to, im assuming 10 is going to be ever harder than inferno was at launch, but adds rewards and gives you something to work for.

So in my eyes they fixed the two main issues with a game of this type.  Put progression back in, made the loot grind more enjoyable and less fustrating.  For me im having more fun than my first time around...and i came back to a level 60 character, it felt like a new alt but with gear, money and all my skills.  New breath of life into the game IMO.

Oh and i dont give a rats ass about pvp in this game, this is a game to feed my loot-whoring urges and spamtastic carnage urges.  Does both quite exelent now.  Only game i really have enjoyed from blizzard, and i like it much more than POE and TL for what its worth.  Just does actiony-carnage-loot whoring better imo.  And i dont need to reroll for variety, just swap a rune, possibly a piece of gear or two and im good to go with a completely different gameplay ont he same character (people hated the rune system over an overly complex and permanant stat system, im loving it tbh).

I would have rated the game a 5 or 6 at launch (was enjoyable untill you hit 60 then sucked), now rate this a 8-9 (enjoyable well past 60), rating only applies to this being a lobby based dungeon crawler btw.

• negacrowbarnegacrowbar Member Posts: 149

You know that the RMAH is kind of a dead zone now. You have got to be a real idiot or a lazy player to buy items on it. Most days a million gold sells for about thrity cents, so for like a ten dollar investment, you can hall away about 33 million in gold to finance a complete set of legendary gear and gems to boot and still have some change.

The main action is in the AH where people wait til the least minute to jack youur bids and you feel like one of those Quibids morons trying to get an Ipad for 25 bucks.

This has devaluated the gear grind as it is super easy to just buy the gear you want.

The main reason that Diablo kinda sucks right now is its horrendous public game system. You would think after years of Wow and Starcraft, that they would have the best looking for group ssystem in place.

Not only can you not know who or what kind of group you are joining, but you also dont know what MP that group is. This makes it difficult to find a group for just loot drops, xp runs, or even key runs because there is no way to label exactly what type of group you want to join.

And this is only going to get worse when they add in dueling, because you wont know if you are joing a dueling game or a regular run.

This just makes it frustrating trying to farm the INfernal Machine on MP 5 or higher and you cant find a group to do these runs.

• KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    No I don't think it's defunct.  My guess is a D4 would sell millions, still plenty to make a profit.  All they have to do to sell boxes is make big promises on the feature list.  For all we know it might already be in development.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • thinktank001thinktank001 Member UncommonPosts: 2,144
    Originally posted by Kothoses
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I wouldn't count it out, but D3 has been a massive failure so far.  I still like it as is, but it has not even come close to the expectations I had before launch.

No, the game was not a "massive failure" it sold like crazy and made them a bucket load of cash and continues to have a sizeable active community.

The game was a massive disappointment for those looking for a D2 like experience, it was a massive let down for those who wanted an exciting dungeon crawler, and it was and continues to be too focused around making ongoing revenues for Blizzard in my opinion.  

But it is not a failure....

D3 didn't have massive sales because it was an awesome game.  It had massive sales because the prequel was an awesome game.   The hype and expectations were so high that alot of people were going to buy the game regardless of how good it was.  I guess you could say that D3 sold so well because of the brand recognition.    

• GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I don't know if Diablo 3 is doing as bad as people claim.  I never have to wait for a public game, and according to the chat system, I join "General Chat #83109" yesterday, and each general chat holds upto 100 people...by my math that's about 8,310,900?  I guess not all the channels arent' full but heck if 83k people play that's still better than what some are implying.  I still find people that will pay real money for my items within a few hours of posting them on the auction house, so there is either a really rich few, or alot of players that don't mind spending $5 on a superb piece of gear :

As for brand recognition, it's kinda true.  Look at how many millions go out and buy every new Call of Duty piece of garbage that comes out...maybe Black Ops 2 will finally teach them that they're not going to change anything except a few maps and textures, and basically just reskin the older games.  Battlefield 3 is alot older, and Black Ops 2 is brand new, but looks and plays like Golden Eye 64 XD

Edit: I appologize for insulting one of the greatest FPS games ever...I loved Golden Eye :)

• AcvivmAcvivm Member UncommonPosts: 323
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by Kothoses

I wouldn't count it out, but D3 has been a massive failure so far.  I still like it as is, but it has not even come close to the expectations I had before launch.

No, the game was not a "massive failure" it sold like crazy and made them a bucket load of cash and continues to have a sizeable active community.

The game was a massive disappointment for those looking for a D2 like experience, it was a massive let down for those who wanted an exciting dungeon crawler, and it was and continues to be too focused around making ongoing revenues for Blizzard in my opinion.  

But it is not a failure....

D3 didn't have massive sales because it was an awesome game.  It had massive sales because the prequel was an awesome game.   The hype and expectations were so high that alot of people were going to buy the game regardless of how good it was.  I guess you could say that D3 sold so well because of the brand recognition.    

That might explain the first six million in sales. It doesn't explain the second. Also remember a lot of people who bought the game are happy with it.

I got my money's worth, I leveled a DH and a Barb to 60 and got them both into Act 3 inferno so even If I were to quit now I would say I got more then enough for what I payed for. If people were expecting this game to revolutionize the industry or give you enough content to last 10+ years then its your own fault for making such outlandish expectations. The only problem I have with the game is the RMAH so I choose to not use it...problem solved.

HEAVEN OR HELL
    Duel 1
    Lets ROCK!