Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is the Diablo franchise pretty much defunct now?

Comments

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

It is to me.

RIP Diablo.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    The game is horrible in multiplayer.   It's like an afterthought.  Gameplay is too slow, deaths too frequent, and players get separated constantly.  Whenever there's elites, everyone just goes crazy and runs around without direction.   Game needs agro management, and to stop being just a dps'fest.

Gameplay too slow? Really? And everything else makes me feel that you didn't like D1 or D2 or this is your first of the series. Here's some advice, and you can use this in all multiplayer games for the future. 

What you are describing is a pick-up group/rdf problem, not a game problem. Find a good cross-game guild and or gather your friends and stop playing with 8 year olds.

• LhynnSaintLhynnSaint Member Posts: 119
    Originally posted by Asm0deus
    They pretty much took a boat ride with Dexter as far as I'm concerned.

good one

• ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Just wondering, if D3 is defunct - are the rest of the top played games?
  • DancingQueenDancingQueen Member Posts: 201
    Originally posted by Zorgo

The Diablo franchise. Diablo III is dead to some and the franchise is even deader.

You must name the sorce of those numbers considering that WoW has over 2 million players in the US.

• Badgered86Badgered86 Member UncommonPosts: 175

I will not be getting any of the expansions or any future Blizzard products for that matter.  They've shifted from making quality games to milking players through microtransactions and attempting to psychologically addict people by using skinner box mechanics.  This type of 'game' design philosphy is insulting.

• ZekiahZekiah Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by DancingQueen

Will you buy the expansion to Diablo III?

No. The core game sucks and is garbage, can't fix that problem with expansions.

"Censorship is never over for those who have experienced it. It is a brand on the imagination that affects the individual who has suffered it, forever." - Noam Chomsky

• PurutzilPurutzil Member UncommonPosts: 3,048
    Considering the concept of progression is a big part of dungeon crawlers... I'd say yes. Diablo 3 seems to miss what made diablo 2 memorable and fun. Paragon levels did not help me at all. Torchlight 2 and Path of Exile to me are diablo 3, not this game we got here.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Blizzard is a bloated cash cow now. They will never produce innovative games like Starcraft, Warcraft and Diablo 1. All they do now is to rehash the same thing but in shinier packages. Like Bioware they are RIP.
    Originally posted by zymurgeist
    Originally posted by DancingQueen
    Originally posted by Zorgo

The Diablo franchise. Diablo III is dead to some and the franchise is even deader.

You must name the sorce of those numbers considering that WoW has over 2 million players in the US.

Those are xfire numbers.

You said the forbidden word! The thread will now be locked any minute now! image

• zethcarnzethcarn Member UncommonPosts: 1,558

D3 was the fastest selling PC game of all time.  Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/05/23/diablo-3-is-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-all-time/

There's already 2 guarenteed expansions planned.  As far as Diablo 4 is concerned, I think it may be possible but not with Jay Wilson.  He pissed off way too many people.

• nariusseldonnariusseldon Member EpicPosts: 27,775
    Originally posted by zethcarn

D3 was the fastest selling PC game of all time.  Source: http://www.forbes.com/sites/davidthier/2012/05/23/diablo-3-is-fastest-selling-pc-game-of-all-time/

There's already 2 guarenteed expansions planned.  As far as Diablo 4 is concerned, I think it may be possible but not with Jay Wilson.  He pissed off way too many people.

And it is also consistent one of the top games on xfire, as pointed out. I bet the next expansion will sell out.

The latest 2 content patches (1.04 with better legendaries, & paragon levels, and 1.05 with monster power & inferno machines) are very well received.

• redcappredcapp Member Posts: 722
    Game was such an insult to the franchise I asked for a refund, and got one.
  • simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709
    Originally posted by nariusseldon

And it is also consistent one of the top games on xfire, as pointed out. I bet the next expansion will sell out.

The latest 2 content patches (1.04 with better legendaries, & paragon levels, and 1.05 with monster power & inferno machines) are very well received.

Yes, the game got lots better with those new patches. There is some "advancement" going on, brought me into playing it again. I've got the feeling that Blizzard knew exactly what they were giving us with Diablo 3 as it is now. The game sold extremely well, but my feeling is that now they are not making much money out of it, RMAH is meh, people left in the game are mostly trading for gold. Blizzard will throw in two expansions, one fixing the main problem, itemisation (they'll probably bring cool items + runes + 1 new act) - and a second one, with two more classes and some alternate advancement in the form of a passive talent tree, and another act. Obviously each will cost about 40 bucks. It's consistent with Blizzard's policy, "why sell one game for 60 bucks, when you can split it into three parts and sell each for 50?"

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    I won't be buying any expansions or any Blizzard games for that matter. D3 is a borefest and I simply don't trust them to deliver quality product anymore.

Diablo 3 was a quality product as proven by the massive sales.  Along with SC3, and just about every other title they have ever released? 

But, i'll simply add one point for you and other haters to consider...

Name one game that has done really well (by the standards you've set) in the past 5+ years?  ALL games are selling Millions of copies within a few days/weeks of release.  People play them, get bored quickly, and move on.  NO game released in the past few years has stuck around as a massive success.

I take that back, Minecraft?  League of Legends?  A few others I suppose?

Diablo 3, Call of Duty, Halo, and countless other AAA brands have released new versions that sold very VERY well but didn't hold peoples attention like back in the old days.  This is just the new trend.

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646
    Originally posted by simmihi

Yes, the game got lots better with those new patches. There is some "advancement" going on, brought me into playing it again. I've got the feeling that Blizzard knew exactly what they were giving us with Diablo 3 as it is now. The game sold extremely well, but my feeling is that now they are not making much money out of it, RMAH is meh, people left in the game are mostly trading for gold. Blizzard will throw in two expansions, one fixing the main problem, itemisation (they'll probably bring cool items + runes + 1 new act) - and a second one, with two more classes and some alternate advancement in the form of a passive talent tree, and another act. Obviously each will cost about 40 bucks. It's consistent with Blizzard's policy, "why sell one game for 60 bucks, when you can split it into three parts and sell each for 50?"

Prob just 1 expand.  Diablo 2 only had one and had a larger"cult" following.

As for splitting one game into 3?  This is the new trend in hollywood movies, not really video games.  Starcraft 2 will be the FIRST title they do this...

Originally posted by BTrayaL

A game is more than just a name.

The first two games were made by a team of people, that invested something in their enterprise. They were called Blizzard North.

So yeah, I believe the francise is dead and burried, for me it is actually.

So is Dragon Age Origins and Mass Effect series. So many good RPGs going away recently...

Your feelings? The game sold 10M+ copies .. that is like $600M .. and it will make tons of money even if it has a huge budget like TOR (which it probably does not).

In fact, read the recent Activision Blizzard financial statement. They cited D3 as teh reason they are doing well (amongst others).

• simmihisimmihi Member UncommonPosts: 709

Your feelings? The game sold 10M+ copies .. that is like $600M .. and it will make tons of money even if it has a huge budget like TOR (which it probably does not).

In fact, read the recent Activision Blizzard financial statement. They cited D3 as teh reason they are doing well (amongst others).

Yes, the game sold extremely well, as i've posted, but that's a thing of the past. They have those money already. Currently, Blizzard earns only from RMAH sales. I do not have access to their RMAH sales, but i know a lot of people in game and neither me or them sold anything lately in the RMAH. Therefore, my feelings are that RMAH does not bring "enough" to the table right now for Blizzard. The way to further monetize Diablo is to launch expansions. My bet is that they deliberately split the game into two or three, in order to sell two or three boxes (that's where their main income comes from). That was my point, sorry if it was not clear.

• KothosesKothoses Member UncommonPosts: 920
    Originally posted by thinktank001

I wouldn't count it out, but D3 has been a massive failure so far.  I still like it as is, but it has not even come close to the expectations I had before launch.

No, the game was not a "massive failure" it sold like crazy and made them a bucket load of cash and continues to have a sizeable active community.

The game was a massive disappointment for those looking for a D2 like experience, it was a massive let down for those who wanted an exciting dungeon crawler, and it was and continues to be too focused around making ongoing revenues for Blizzard in my opinion.  

But it is not a failure....

• RednecksithRednecksith Member Posts: 1,238

Funny, I got a great dungeon crawling experience out of D3. It's a fun game, with mechanics light years ahead of D2 in many respects.

Torchlight 2 was incredibly shallow, with crummy performance, terrible and uninspired skills / classes, and a story that was actually worse than D3's (not an easy thing to pull off). It no longer even has a place on my HDD.

So yes, I will be buying the expansion(s). The game is in a good place now, and things are being taken in the right direction. Should it have been closer to what it is now at launch? Absolutely. But most of the haters are like TotalBiscuit; they see the RMAH and immediately let that one feature color their perceptions of the entire game.

My only complaint at this point is that I don't have much time to play it, what with WoW, EVE, Smite, and other games (along with IRL responsibilities OFC) taking up much of my time.

• SidadSidad Member UncommonPosts: 50
    Originally posted by Zekiah
    I won't be buying any expansions or any Blizzard games for that matter. D3 is a borefest and I simply don't trust them to deliver quality product anymore.

Agree. On another note, Im amazed that some ppl still play D3. D2 is wa...aay better and more fun. D3 is the biggest letdown ever in gaming history imo. I dont even consider D3 game as part of Diablo franchise. Its more like bad knock off.

• tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

So what people are actually angry about is that Blizzard is dipping in to their(the players) lucurative market of selling gear to people. Because that was a big think in the earlier games.

I find it a nice game, not something i play every day but to just drop in to every now and then and reduce some monster to a fine paste. In my mind it is neither worse nor better then the other Diablo games but then again i was never very emotionally engaged in the series.

This have been a good conversation

Yes, the game sold extremely well, as i've posted, but that's a thing of the past. They have those money already. Currently, Blizzard earns only from RMAH sales. I do not have access to their RMAH sales, but i know a lot of people in game and neither me or them sold anything lately in the RMAH. Therefore, my feelings are that RMAH does not bring "enough" to the table right now for Blizzard. The way to further monetize Diablo is to launch expansions. My bet is that they deliberately split the game into two or three, in order to sell two or three boxes (that's where their main income comes from). That was my point, sorry if it was not clear.

Hmm .. this is a box game .. of course it made money on initial sales. RMAH can never be that big just because there is the gold AH. RMAH is really gravy.

The next big thing is not selling more D3 .. but selling D3 expansions, which were already anounced.

• mcburlymcburly Member Posts: 234
    Well I was dissapointed in it and am done with blizzard after that..... but its sold, what like, 10 million copies already?? I guess we will see how well the xpacs do or a D4 down the road but sales wise D3 is good to go. The damage it did to the franchises future is yet to be seen though.