Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Looking for a City Building Strategy Game

pauly6478pauly6478 binghamton, NYPosts: 276Member

I am a huge fan of city building strategy games like Settlers 7, but it seems that this is a very small part of the gaming industry. I am looking for a game like Settlers 7 or Settlers Online that does not have a cash shop or a time limit of 24 hours to do anything. (Dont wanna get started on how the gaming community is ruining the future of gaming by supporting free to play games)

I have searched and searched and all I find is posts about SimCity type games. But these games lack a simple problem they have no combat. And everything I search I find people posting answers of games that are so outdated it wouldnt even be enjoyable to play. 

So I guess I am just posting, hoping that someone might know of a hidden gem that I have over looked that is somewhat recent. 

p.s. I have all the Total War games so no need to point those ones out. Plus those ones lack and real actual in depth city building.

I really believe if someone came out with a epic MMORPG with equal focus on city building they are just going to rake in so much money as it adds another aspect to MMO's where such games always lack end game content.

• rawfoxrawfox HamburgPosts: 676Member Uncommon

0AD ?

Still alpha but looks awesome already ^^

• pauly6478pauly6478 binghamton, NYPosts: 276Member
    Ill check that one out thanks for the info
  • sekuharadaioosekuharadaioo OsakaPosts: 22Member
    im looking for one as well.

Games currently playing:
    Pro Evolution Soccer
    World of Warcraft
    Light of Nova
    League of Legends

• atuerstaratuerstar melbournePosts: 234Member

Well there is Civilization 5, but I dont consider it a city builder in the true sense.

My go to for designing my own cities and layouts is the Anno series (Anno 1701, Anno 2070). Modern games, great graphics, interesting gameplay. It takes a while to build up to the warfare part though, being much more oriented around the city building and management aspects.

• FreezzoFreezzo EnschedePosts: 235Member

I must say I also really like Anno (especially 1404, 2070 not so much). It's a bit faster paced than Settlers 7 sometimes and a bit more hectic, but also lots of fun ^.^

Also there's this quite old game called Constructor, it's fun as well. Although that might be my nostalgia (

"We need men who can dream of things that never were." - John F. Kennedy
    And for MMORPGs ever so true...

• worldalphaworldalpha Milton, ONPosts: 403Member
    The new Sim City is what you might be looking for.

Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!)

• ShakyMoShakyMo BradfordPosts: 7,207Member Common
  • TheutusTheutus Destin, FLPosts: 633Member Uncommon
  • TorgrimTorgrim GothenburgPosts: 2,088Member
    Originally posted by Theutus

Cities XL

To bad It's not online anymore.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• KrelianKrelian GöteborgPosts: 369Member Uncommon

DAWN OF FANTASY; ONLINE city building ''fantasy game'' as the name implies. Strategy game (with combat / emphasis on sieges).... And yes, the whole capital city building&menagement thingy is very important in gameplay terms as well.

--ACTUAL (3d) retail game (so to say) ; NOT a free browser game of any kind.

Check it out!

• KarahandrasKarahandras Sible HedinghamPosts: 1,686Member Uncommon

I always like Children of the Nile, ancient egypt city builder.  Demo is still around last time i checked.  You could look into a tale in the desert(i think is still sub based though).

The free builders are worth a try.  

If you liked settler 7 maybe start with widelands, based of the original settlers games.

Also there's unknow horizons , lincity (not sure they have a homepage), simutrans  .  There are also a couple of free civ games about.

The nations is still available on the dl sites.  Tropico 4 didn't come out that long ago.  There are a bunch of the more cheapo nasty ones that keep getting made too.

Theme hospital just got a re-release i think.

gog is a good place to go for some of the older games in this style.

Minecraft could also be worth a look.

There was a proper city/building mmo at one point but for the life of me i can't remember the name so can't check that it's still running.

I forgot, I think dungeon keeper 2 was released free and has also been remade(sort of) now just called dungeons.

And there are some interesting ones on desura too look up.

• ScorchienScorchien Hatboro, PAPosts: 1,553Member Uncommon

Imperium Romanum is really good , well done in depth good lookin ........

• RefMinorRefMinor MyTownPosts: 3,452Member Uncommon
  • QSatuQSatu WarsawPosts: 1,739Member Uncommon
    I miss so much old Impression games.. Pharaouh, Zeus, Emperor.. I still play them from time to time. Maybe it's time for another kickstarter?
  • BizkitNLBizkitNL NetherlandsPosts: 2,259Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by rawfox

0AD ?

Still alpha but looks awesome already ^^

Hm, this one looks a lot more like Age of Empires than an actual city builder.

Nevertheless, I'm intrigued.

• CaldrinCaldrin CwmbranPosts: 4,505Member Uncommon

I fancy checking out that dawn of fantasy..

Has anyone on here played it? if so is it any good and is it worth the money?

• ElikalElikal ValhallaPosts: 7,911Member Uncommon

Somehow I liked the only strategy games, but not the new ones.

The old SimCity up to Simcity 4000, the old Settlers games, Civ 1-4, but hate Civ5, the old Master of Orion, Alpha Centaury... nothing like that these days. :(

People don't ask questions to get answers - they ask questions to show how smart they are. - Dogbert