Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Grind Wars 2

Comments

• GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by bcbully
    [mod edit]
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Threatlevel0

I said for the most part, and you still never showed a mob with a cone effect. 

Don't eagle raptors do an annoying Dazing screech that's a cone effect?   Not trying to jump in, but as soon as I read that it just popped in my head...

They might this was the statment he/she was talking about.

"...I have not seen mobs lay down combo fields either... Nor have I noticed cone attacks. What mobs lay down combo fields? Which ones do cone attacks? No I have not seen this."

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    Originally posted by Aerowyn
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Is it true you need stuff out mystic chest aswell for the lengendary?

No lol... where in the world do you get your info bc? 

At leats this time you actually asked if you were correct or not instead of jumping right in to spreading incorrect information. 

I always ask if I don't know.  If I do know and like/dislike I'll tell you about it  ;)

Hmm I wonder what they were speaking of. Is there something in the chest that helps with legendarys?

If only that were true, the numerous times you've had to be corrected would indicate it is not though. In any case here's what you need to craft legendary weapons... 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Legendary_weapon

The Wiki has a great deal of information and can be a valuable resource when you are uncertain of something. 

Show me one time where my information was wrong. Either that or apologize for lying. 

Yes I looked at the wiki already.

you directly stated GW2 mobs do not have stuns, cone effect skills, or use abilities like players.. that is a straight out lie... i could dig out more but don't see any point because when I presented you proof you brushed it off as "just semantics"

The Howling King

Key attacks:
    - Frontal cone attack
    - Spawns elite adds

Thats just the first one that came to mind lol. Look it up if you don't believe me. If you really are interested again .... 

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Main_Page

I'm telling you man, the info you need is all there lol... 

Don't eagle raptors do an annoying Dazing screech that's a cone effect?   Not trying to jump in, but as soon as I read that it just popped in my head...   

Also the fire breating Salamanders/drakes, or are they actually not cone effects and simply single target?   I honestly don't know, but I believed they were.

** Also, another edit, what determines the stars under your name on these forums...seriousily?

Well if people report you, you lose stars. I've been to 5 and back several times.... 

If you looked at the Wiki why did you ask if you needed items from Mystic chests?

And as far as your information being wrong I don't think we really need to go into that, I mean aside the "GW2 Doesn't have 3 faction PvP" and "Nodes refresh once every 1 or 2 hours" your post history is littered with examples. I don't have the time to scour through your history to pull up links or to dig out the numerous examples though, making brownies and getting settled for Walking Dead :P

GW2 does not have 3 faction PVP. Some nodes do refresh every few hours. 

so.... This is what your talking about? 

Most nodes do not refresh every few hours, you made an attempt at spreading incorrect information, got called on it and abandoned the thread like usual lol. WvWvW - Out of curriosity how many W's do you see? You do know it's 3 servers correct? Again, just because you don't agree with how it's been done doesn't negate fact lol... 

And I've grown both bored with this conversation and short on time. 

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

They might this was the statment he/she was talking about.

"...I have not seen mobs lay down combo fields either... Nor have I noticed cone attacks. What mobs lay down combo fields? Which ones do cone attacks? No I have not seen this."

only certain AOE skills by mobs have a "indicator" which is a red ring.. unlike games like TSW there isn't an obvious white box showing you the area effect on all skills that do cone type effects.. like your own skills the skill just effects multiple enemies.. if you put some time into the game playing with others this is easily noticed... but this is getting off topic so no point in continueing

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• asmadeousasmadeous Member Posts: 70
    Originally posted by thefounder
    "..i do find experimenting with the different professions to be interesting but clearly if i dont devote 95% of my time to ONE character. i will never ever get a Legendary within a year, or likely longer, or maybe never.."

Looks like you've never played GW1, in that game you would have to invest months into a single character for the title tracks and armors.

• DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692

Could have used a few of the dredge as an example of creatures with cone attacks too. Or some of the basilisk.

Not all creatures list such functions under ability, kinda just if it's a primary component from what I can tell.

EDIT: And bc that,s rather directly false. In PvE there is one faction, each server in world PvP acts as it's own faction however. That means there are three cactions in WvWvW.

And no, nodes don't respawn every few hours, the entirety of a zone cycles it's nodes through the course of a day and new nodes may spawn in the same general area as previous nodes for the quota. That's why guides to where to find resources gives general areas instead of definitive coordinates. 

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    All this talk about legendaries... You guys do realize they don't have superior stats right? It's just a new incredibly hard to get skin. I think I can live without them 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Originally posted by Iselin
    All this talk about legendaries... You guys do realize they don't have superior stats right? It's just a new incredibly hard to get skin. I think I can live without them 

seems like a lot of people here haven't played GW1...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

[mod edit]

Funny, search got me this.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascalonian_Catacombs_(explorable)

"The Howling King"

"His final ability is extremely dangerous. It is a conal attack known as spirit scream..."

And he was pulling one example quickly. Like I mentioned myself there are creatures that have cone attacks as normal functions and not even labeled as abilities. Basilisk for example with their stone-eye ray thing. Or alternate versions that cause ongoing damage via acid or fire as a breath attack. 

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

Originally posted by Deivos

This is a link nor search show anything... good one...

edit the howling king is a boss... wow man. just wow I see why you left.

Funny, search got me this.

http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Ascalonian_Catacombs_(explorable)

"The Howling King"

"His final ability is extremely dangerous. It is a conal attack known as spirit scream..."

Now you are about to tell me bosses and mobs are the same right?

[mod edit]

Actually no, it is 3 factions. 

It doesn't matter what dictionary you use the meaning of faction is the same.

Faction -  a group of people forming a minority within a larger body

The player base of GW2 is broken up into minority groups within a larger body. The division is done in the form of servers. With 3 servers being pitted against each other you end up with 3 seperate factions competing against each other. 

I get where you are coming from though, you don't like how it was done. You prefer a different form of 3 faction PvP like in DAoC for example. But again that doesn't change what is. 3 faction PvP exists in GW2, you however do not like how it's been done so you try to deny it's existance. It's kind of like how I am with the 3rd Highlander movie. 

But Aerwyn is correct, this has gotten extremely off topic and I need to see my way out before I contribute any further to the derailing of someone elses thread.  

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Originally posted by Iselin

seems like a lot of people here haven't played GW1...

Yeah I think you're right. I didn't pursue them in GW1 either. I guess I'm not much of a collector. I just explore, PvE and PvP... Works for me.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Nope, won't call bosses and mobs tha same thing, but I myself already noted some mobs that have cone-based powers.

EDIT: It's my perception enemy AI isn't really setup to utilize comb fields as a mechanic, though. So there is that.

Plenty of cone and aoe abilities though.

• MosesZDMosesZD Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Also the fire breating Salamanders/drakes, or are they actually not cone effects and simply single target?   I honestly don't know, but I believed they were.

** Also, another edit, what determines the stars under your name on these forums...seriousily?

Many of the raptors have a cone effect.   Many of the drakes have cone effects -- fire, ice, lightning or poison.  All of the Moa's have a cone attack (screech).  Depending on the mob, many humanoids (inquest, bandits, nightmare, etc.) have cone effects via their weapons.

And lots and lots of those without cones have AoE effects or other cloud/AoE/Spell/Pool/whatever attacks...

Anyone who has actually played the game to Level 80 instead of pretending to have played the game while regurgitating troll-posts would know that.   Cone/line effect start with Level 5 mobs.

Most nodes do not refresh every few hours, you made an attempt at spreading incorrect information, got called on it and abandoned the thread like usual lol. WvWvW - Out of curriosity how many W's do you see? You do know it's 3 servers correct? Again, just because you don't agree with how it's been done doesn't negate fact lol... 

And I've grown both bored with this conversation and short on time. 

Yeah soo... no incorrect information on my part there... GW2 has no factions.. or one however you look at it...  Some nodes do spawn every few hours... A few do not. Looks like you are spreading misinformation >.>

Actually no, it is 3 factions. 

It doesn't matter what dictionary you use the meaning of faction is the same.

Faction -  a group of people forming a minority within a larger body

The player base of GW2 is broken up into minority groups within a larger body. The division is done in the form of servers. With 3 servers being pitted against each other you end up with 3 seperate factions competing against each other. 

I get where you are coming from though, you don't like how it was done. You prefer a different form of 3 faction PvP like in DAoC for example. But again that doesn't change what is. 3 faction PvP exists in GW2, you however do not like how it's been done so you try to deny it's existance. It's kind of like how I am with the 3rd Highlander movie. 

But Aerwyn is correct, this has gotten extremely off topic and I need to see my way out before I contribute any further to the derailing of someone elses thread.  

Yeah.   Totally agree.   It was a more than a mistake.

Originally posted by Deivos

Nope, won't call bosses and mobs tha same thing, but I myself already noted some mobs that have cone-based powers.

EDIT: It's my perception enemy AI isn't really setup to utilize comb fields as a mechanic, though. So there is that.

Plenty of cone and aoe abilities though.

I've seen some in big events in Orr.   They seem to be about as inadvertent as combo fields in general PvE.  

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179
    Most games... you put forth effort and time to get better at playing your character and improve both your understanding of the game as well as both your gear and appearance... in the best of those games, teammwork is paramount. this creates a sense of achievement. a sense of growth.

in GW2 you put forth massive amount of time and effort to endure a handful of speed farmed puggable dungeons... over and over... just for something to change your appearance. 

So basically, to summarize, you're just saying there is no gear/dungeon progression right?    Which is true.  In GW2 there is no dungeon progression, to get better gear till you can advance through a different dungeon, or onto a raid.  In GW2 all dungeons are basically available to you with the top tier of gear, Exotic.   

If you want dungeon/raid progression, I believe there are a couple big ones out there that offer just that.  I want a non-hardcore sandbox MMORPG where everyone isn't thrown into their different playing zones and with the depth that SWG had in crafting, player houses, and open world.   Now tell me where I can find that...

Most games... you put forth effort and time to get better at playing your character and improve both your understanding of the game as well as both your gear and appearance... in the best of those games, teammwork is paramount. this creates a sense of achievement. a sense of growth.

in GW2 you put forth massive amount of time and effort to endure a handful of speed farmed puggable dungeons... over and over... just for something to change your appearance. 

So basically, to summarize, you're just saying there is no gear/dungeon progression right?    Which is true.  In GW2 there is no dungeon progression, to get better gear till you can advance through a different dungeon, or onto a raid.  In GW2 all dungeons are basically available to you with the top tier of gear, Exotic.   

If you want dungeon/raid progression, I believe there are a couple big ones out there that offer just that.  I want a non-hardcore sandbox MMORPG where everyone isn't thrown into their different playing zones and with the depth that SWG had in crafting, player houses, and open world.   Now tell me where I can find that...

actually you could complete them all with less an exotic gear:)

also for your last statement i'd say nothing right now although archage seems to fit that category.. and some others releasing late next year:)

• Threatlevel0Threatlevel0 Member UncommonPosts: 179

actually you could complete them all with less an exotic gear:)

also for your last statement i'd say nothing right now although archage seems to fit that category.. and some others releasing late next year:)

Yes, I am eagerly awaiting to try Archeage actually.  I also plan to try Wildstar but I don't know much about it though.   Hell, what am I saying I try just about every MMO.   The only ones I have played "long-term" I guess you could say though was SWG and CoH.  Nothing alike, I know.  :)

Also, I have completed a lot of dungeons on my Necro without any exotics, just greens and rares, as I never fully dedicated to my Necromancer. lol

Think Threat meant that the rewards are from a fundamentally similar level, so dungeon rewards aren't tiered. Not that you need a certain tier of gear to achieve in a dungeon.

Meaning you don't have to grind upwards through each one in some kinda process and can instead play them in any order (or to the exclusion of) as you see fit.

Pick which one you want the looks from and go more or less.

At least that's what I think he meant.

EDIT: Well nevermind, he clarified somewhat himself.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by Bladestrom
    I'm sure you are a fine person to play with. Tonight I played with a group of players and we battled and struggled through the dungeon as people who didn't know the fights slowly learned- we didn't care 1 jot about loot, we finished satisfied and had fun. That is what this game is about- not speed running, not grinding stuff you don't want to do, and worst of all not playing a game you don't enjoy playing.

You'll excuse me if I am skeptical. I won't say it didn't happen but with the amount of communication that happens in these groups, I wonder how much of the group's motivations were really made known. Whether or not the other players in your group didn't care about loot and whether or not they felt it was a grind. 

Originally posted by eGumball
    This has nothing with the quality, itself, to do.  It is about the pholosophy of the company. That´s why Guild Wars 2 isn´t for everyone. Otherwise, the game is heavily focused on fun, and can´t be considered a full time mmo, something that Anet mentioned before, in one way or another.

every game since the first game played was heavily based on fun....

I actually question this idea in MMORPGs. Up until this one, the idea of Fun in an MMORPG was not somethign the game provided. You had to do stuff that wasn't so much fun in order to make the fun hapen for yourself. 

Originally posted by GeezerGamer

This has nothing with the quality, itself, to do.  It is about the pholosophy of the company. That´s why Guild Wars 2 isn´t for everyone. Otherwise, the game is heavily focused on fun, and can´t be considered a full time mmo, something that Anet mentioned before, in one way or another.

I actually question this idea in MMORPGs. Up until this one, the idea of Fun in an MMORPG was not somethign the game provided. You had to do stuff that wasn't so much fun in order to make the fun hapen for yourself. 

think the big thing with this is the whole design philosophy that they didn't want a big shift in gaming experience once hitting cap.. in most themeparks people would rush through levels to get ot the "endgame" or "good stuff" ie raiding or endgame pvp stuff.. but in GW2 all this is layed out before you from the get go for the most part, with only the higher level zones and dungeons for you to unlock but this allows you to enjoy a larger portion of the game at the start. Now this can be good or bad depending on the person.. some want that big shift at endgame as it feels like they "acomplished" something by leveling and now they get to tackle the big bad raids.

GW2 has always been said to be a game where you play how you want and enjoy what aspects of the game interest you the most and this would be your "endgame" if you enjoy WvW or sPVP you do that if you enjoy the dungeons you can run those if you want to strive for that legendary weapon to stand out on your own you have that option as well.. if you are the completionist type you go for 100% map completion and titles or collect all the dyes or crafting and the mystic forge items.. you then always have all the personal stories and classes to try out as well...

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

think the big thing with this is the whole design philosophy that they didn't want a big shift in gaming experience once hitting cap.. in most themeparks people would rush through levels to get ot the "endgame" or "good stuff" ie raiding or endgame pvp stuff.. but in GW2 all this is layed out before you from the get go for the most part, with only the higher level zones and dungeons for you to unlock but this allows you to enjoy a larger portion of the game at the start. Now this can be good or bad depending on the person.. some want that big shift at endgame as it feels like they "acomplished" something by leveling and now they get to tackle the big bad raids. GW2 has always been said to be a game where you play how you want and enjoy what aspects of the game interest you the most and this would be your "endgame" if you enjoy WvW or sPVP you do that if you enjoy the dungeons you can run those if you want to strive for that legendary weapon to stand out on your own you have that option as well.. if you are the completionist type you go for 100% map completion and titles or collect all the dyes or crafting and the mystic forge items.. you then always have all the personal stories and classes to try out as well...

I can understand that. I used to joke about "The game you HAVE to play in order to get to the game you WANT to play" But, as far as their design philosophy goes, I think it lines up with their revenue model. Players buy the game, get a few weeks to a few months game time out of it and leave until the next content release. The game was never meant to be played the way traditional MMOs are played.