Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

The real shame, from a gamer's point of view

2»

Comments

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by TheCrow2k
    Originally posted by eddieg50
    Originally posted by Hokie

Well if you want to think of it that way.

Just buy the game, is pretty discounted, play the freeium version and Boom you have an excellent single player game (if thats how you choose to play it). With 8 unique class story-lines and like 8 races to choose from. And you still have the added benefit of playing with other people even if you choose not too.

1) buying the game at this point is a waste of money.

2) Its not an excellent single player experince at all. The Storylines in SWTOR were great compared to other MMO's but compare it to a single player game story and it pales in comparrison. I would go so far as to say SWTOR represents the worst storytelling I have seen in a Bioware game.

"The Storylines in SWTOR were great compared to other MMO's",  well this is why the people who enjoy SWTOR play , because they are bummed at the terrible story lines in other MMO'S and thus enjoy the story line along with the small grouping, and other aspects of an mmo, they just find mmo's with story lines (like tsw, lotro) more interesting

But as an MMO it is below average. Its like a really average single player game with co-op but they wanted to charge a monthly fee for it. I love all things Star Wars & I really tried to make myself love SWTOR but it was just poorly planned, poorly designed & very poorly executed. I won't even go into how Beta testers & the community as a whole were ignored & mistreated.....

But it has what many people want, a good story line, great production and mmo elements, put a great space game in there and it would be fantastic

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Just buy the game, is pretty discounted, play the freeium version and Boom you have an excellent single player game (if thats how you choose to play it). With 8 unique class story-lines and like 8 races to choose from. And you still have the added benefit of playing with other people even if you choose not too.

2) Its not an excellent single player experince at all. The Storylines in SWTOR were great compared to other MMO's but compare it to a single player game story and it pales in comparrison. I would go so far as to say SWTOR represents the worst storytelling I have seen in a Bioware game.

"The Storylines in SWTOR were great compared to other MMO's",  well this is why the people who enjoy SWTOR play , because they are bummed at the terrible story lines in other MMO'S and thus enjoy the story line along with the small grouping, and other aspects of an mmo, they just find mmo's with story lines (like tsw, lotro) more interesting

But as an MMO it is below average. Its like a really average single player game with co-op but they wanted to charge a monthly fee for it. I love all things Star Wars & I really tried to make myself love SWTOR but it was just poorly planned, poorly designed & very poorly executed. I won't even go into how Beta testers & the community as a whole were ignored & mistreated.....

But it has what many people want, a good story line, great production and mmo elements, put a great space game in there and it would be fantastic

No... it wouldn't. The story is lack luster and loaded down with filler (to keep people paying monthly). Nothing that happens within that singleplayer storyline impacts the gameworld (because its an MMO) so it means nothing. The combat is outdated and boring (again, mainly due to MMO restrictions) All the art and themes are recycled from Episodes 4-6, which have no place in a game set thousands of years before. The graphics were heavily outdated.

There is almost nothing great about this game. It has the worst of singleplayer games and the worst of MMOs. The two DO NOT WORK WELL TOGETHER.

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

No... it wouldn't. The story is lack luster and loaded down with filler (to keep people paying monthly). Nothing that happens within that singleplayer storyline impacts the gameworld (because its an MMO) so it means nothing. The combat is outdated and boring (again, mainly due to MMO restrictions) All the art and themes are recycled from Episodes 4-6, which have no place in a game set thousands of years before. The graphics were heavily outdated.

There is almost nothing great about this game. It has the worst of singleplayer games and the worst of MMOs. The two DO NOT WORK WELL TOGETHER.

I think everyone can agree the music was A++?

I love the sountrack .. EA was really cheap in giving CE buyers only 1 soundtrack disk :/  I'll trade the doorstop Malgus in for a 2nd soundtrack disk any day this week or next.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

Originally posted by Karteli

I think everyone can agree the music was A++?

I love the sountrack .. EA was really cheap in giving CE buyers only 1 soundtrack disk :/  I'll trade the doorstop Malgus in for a 2nd soundtrack disk any day this week or next.

The music was just about the only decent thing I could think of.

In your opinion.  Why do you think your opinion is the same world over?, that is the thing with trolls,  you think that you speak for everybody and you do not. The combat is the same combat as most mmo's have, although I do like the animations in SWTOR better than many. Again this game combined good story line with mmo elements and that is why many people like this game, I am not a fanboy I can admit the space game was poor and some elements of PvP were absurd, I think you need to look at things with a  bit more objectivity

• tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937
    I don't think your definition of troll is sound.
    Originally posted by tiefighter25
    I don't think your definition of troll is sound.

Trolls have no objectivity and they come on again and again to critisize

In your opinion.  Why do you think your opinion is the same world over?, that is the thing with trolls,  you think that you speak for everybody and you do not. The combat is the same combat as most mmo's have, although I do like the animations in SWTOR better than many. Again this game combined good story line with mmo elements and that is why many people like this game, I am not a fanboy I can admit the space game was poor and some elements of PvP were absurd, I think you need to look at things with a  bit more objectivity

My opinoin is laced with facts. 

When the game is compared to other singleplayer RPGs, it's woefully inept. 

When the game is compared to other MMORPGs, it is woefully inept. 

It is the worst of both worlds. A singleplayer game would have had better combat and meaningful story. This game does not. 

An MMO would have had an immersive world and a social atmosphere. This game does not.

But no no. Go ahead, call me a troll for pointing out the obvious flaws in a game that you're "totally not a fanboy of". 

My opinoin is laced with facts. 

When the game is compared to other singleplayer RPGs, it's woefully inept. 

When the game is compared to other MMORPGs, it is woefully inept. 

It is the worst of both worlds. A singleplayer game would have had better combat and meaningful story. This game does not. 

An MMO would have had an immersive world and a social atmosphere. This game does not.

But no no. Go ahead, call me a troll for pointing out the obvious flaws in a game that you're "totally not a fanboy of". 

Your opinion is just that-your opinion, some people would agree with your opinion and some will not , but to say your opinion is fact is absurd. Where is your objectivity?  does it matter to you that many people like this game for the reasons I stated? does SWTOR have mmo elements?, have you said one good thing about SWTOR?, have I show objectivity in my analysis of the game?  If you want to repost please answere my questions.

I have to say i am sorry to posters who are reading this back and forth, but I cannot stand people who have no objectivity, this will be my last post on this subject, as there is no sense talking to people who lack objectivity.  On to the next post LOL

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

main issue is the game is missing for me the star wars feel imho.. for me this game did'nt capture that feeling at all and espeically for a game released at the end of 2011.. for example when I think of jedi fights in a video game i think of this more or less

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rk05rDCH6p0

but instead we got this 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Y3bFXTJAuc

yes obviously force unleashed is a srpg but just look at blade & soul combat and you can see this sort of interactive combat could easily work in a MMO

now obviously many enjoy swtor for what it is but watching the two videos and seeing the potential for jedi combat I really don't see how in some way people couldn't feel a little let down or see why so many are for a game released in pretty much 2012 and with such a huge budget...

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• AxiosImmortalAxiosImmortal Member UncommonPosts: 645
    Originally posted by Souldrainer
    Originally posted by Jonoku
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Some people (a lot of them) actually love this game image. Can it be better? Sure...

If you don't like it.. move on... how many posts on this forum already discussed this to the nauseum.......

SWTOR is the biggest disappointment last year, hard to forget when it ranks as the biggest disappointment. Which means criticism to the game will never end. They did spend 300 million dollars to make such a disappointment of a game, they could've spent less then 1/3 of the money and have met the expectations of people. forgive me......I'm sorry....lol.

I think you have SWTOR mixed up with Diablo 3.

Not at all, I never played Diablo series what so ever and never bought Diablo 3. I just looked at streams of it and videos of Diablo 3 and thought it was terrible right off the bat as a given. My comment stands.

Looking at: The Repopulation
    Preordering: None
    Playing: Random Games

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by Souldrainer

Some people (a lot of them) actually love this game image. Can it be better? Sure...

If you don't like it.. move on... how many posts on this forum already discussed this to the nauseum.......

SWTOR is the biggest disappointment last year, hard to forget when it ranks as the biggest disappointment. Which means criticism to the game will never end. They did spend 300 million dollars to make such a disappointment of a game, they could've spent less then 1/3 of the money and have met the expectations of people. forgive me......I'm sorry....lol.

I think you have SWTOR mixed up with Diablo 3.

Not at all, I never played Diablo series what so ever and never bought Diablo 3. I just looked at streams of it and videos of Diablo 3 and thought it was terrible right off the bat as a given. My comment stands.

i won't make fun of or ridicule people who enjoy this game because I can understand everyone has their own tastes in games and what appeals to them personally but i will say swtor is probably the biggest gaming dissapointment I have ever had in my 25 years of gaming history which makes me very sad indeed:(

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• ByntBynt Member Posts: 35
    Originally posted by Draron

Totally agree. Its not a bad game, it could have been a lot better.

I'm still subscribed since head-start and will be for a long time, as long as they put real effort into supporting the game.

I salute you for defending it.

This. I'm not one to say they can't complain, but I have to admit I smh seeing a thread complain of something with 4 more on the front page. These forums take beating a dead horse to the next level.

+1 - And I salute Sevenstar too!

• SendenSenden Member UncommonPosts: 602

This game will always be remembered, sadly for the wrong reasons. It's the perfect reminder of where developer/upper management arrogance and  incompetance can get you. They dug their own grave really while deluding themselves to think it would sell like hot cakes because it's Star Wars, Bioware and an MMO game. 

I agree with what a post a little bit above me has said, in all my years gaming, this game is the biggest disappointment I've came across. I think of all the things this could have been but they dropped the ball on more than a few occassions. Worse still, I don't even think they're heading in the right direction. If they think they can keep this game afloat by keep adding new flashpoints, they're even more deluded than I thought. Story is by large and far the only thing this game does exceptionally well and that's only exceptional by MMO standards. To turn their back on this one strong element in the game seems ridiculous. I've been subbed to this game since early access with the exception of about a month when I was preparing for MoP and so far if I stopped doing warzones, I'd have been able to do everything enjoyable in this game to me for free. How they plan on getting f2p members remains to be seen but I think the idea will sink faster than the tortanic. 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan

Just buy the game, is pretty discounted, play the freeium version and Boom you have an excellent single player game (if thats how you choose to play it. With 16 unique class story-lines and like 8 races to choose from.

1. Why would anyone buy the game when they can download it free once F2P starts?

2. How are you going to play 8 races when free only give 3?

seriously?

1 is the answer to 2. 2 the answer to 1.

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"