Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

It's sad, but I can't think of a single good Sci-Fi MMO that's not about spaceships.

2»

Comments

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I also would love a SciFi MMO where my character is not a ship. Exploring different planets is so cooool.

Mass Effect MMO anyone?

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Sci-Fi is always cooler when it involves space.

Where's Alien? Where's Predator? Where's Kzinti?  Moties? Starship Troopers? Ender's Game?

There's some 'natural' space game concepts that just haven't ever been done very well, outside of console formats.

That may be part of the problem, Bug Hunt shoot-em-ups work so well (for what they do), but creating a game with a little more depth than that requires actual writing.   Examining the 'Lore' of most mmos, writers appear to be the last people game producers hire.

Sword and board?  Everyone knows the 'rules', minor modifications to the same basic story are easy sells.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• MundusMundus Member UncommonPosts: 237
    R.I.P. Neocron
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Originally posted by DOGMA1138

Cuz it's hard to make a convincing organic combat when you are taking a Sci-Fi/Modern theme and not making it into  a shooter first game.

I agree.  Also make a first person perspective shooter, and people don't want PVE.  Without PVE it's not much of an MMORPG.

Overall, Sci-Fi MMORPG is a tough translation to do well.  The closed games SWG, Tabula Rasa, and Stargate don't help.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
  • asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788
    Originally posted by fivoroth

I also would love a SciFi MMO where my character is not a ship. Exploring different planets is so cooool.

Mass Effect MMO anyone?

I would love to see a Mass Effect MMO...

Except that both EA and Bioware have shown the world just how quickly they can screw up an MMO.

You make me like charity

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    We have had articles from game industry insiders on this site explaining how the writers are now not being used so much in MMO's. It has been a trend going on for years. Increasingly, junior members of say the graphics team get asked to write a few quests. Overall creative vision may go to a writer for example Torquist and TSW. But that is rare too these days.
  • KrematoryKrematory Member UncommonPosts: 608
    Wasn't Ryzom a sci-fi themed game?

"EVE is likely the best MMORPG that you've never really understood or played" - Kyleran

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,203
    Originally posted by Icewhite

Where's Alien? Where's Predator? Where's Kzinti?  Moties? Starship Troopers? Ender's Game?

There's some 'natural' space game concepts that just haven't ever been done very well, outside of console formats.

I'd LOVE a good sci-fi MMO, or even a solo game, set on Ringworld.

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    Originally posted by Icewhite

That may be part of the problem, Bug Hunt shoot-em-ups work so well (for what they do), but creating a game with a little more depth than that requires actual writing.   Examining the 'Lore' of most mmos, writers appear to be the last people game producers hire.

Sword and board?  Everyone knows the 'rules', minor modifications to the same basic story are easy sells.

Please, please, please, no more games based on movies.  It never works.  If they take the general idea of the movie as inspiration then fine but they should try to be a little original.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• MystaisMystais Member Posts: 72
    Originally posted by Cephus404
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Cephus
    Try perpetuum, its like eve but with mechs instead of ships.

My point was, I want a massive universe, thousands of stars, hundreds of thousands of planets, the ability to explore and find entirely new star systems and you should be able to land on and explore every single one of them.  Something the size of EvE with the ability to build massively on many, many worlds.

It'll never be done.

It's being done but by a single developer and definitely not AAA.  But you have thousands of systems with planets and you can land on most of them and build and you can even build your own starships.  Even has ringworlds and randomly created alien life.

If an AAA developer would just get their head out of the sand and build a game like this.... wow.

http://www.hazeron.com/

Just press F5 at website to cycle through screenshots.  Yes graphics are bad but the game system, innovation and sandboxiness are second to none.

Tabletop RPG gaming since Chainmail and D&D was a blue book with some cheap plastic dice and a crayon. MMORPGing since MOOS/MUDS, when forums were just bulletin boards and players actually roleplayed their characters.