Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Preview] The Elder Scrolls Online: Stuff We Didn't Play - PVP and Social Integration

BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565

Though we got three hours with Elder Scrolls Online last week, there was still a lot we didn't even touch. Luckily Zenimax covered a great deal of it in a post-demo Q&A and presentation. Read on for the details.

Once our day of playing Elder Scrolls Online was over, the Zenimax Online Studios folks pulled us back into the presentation room to over some of the many things we didn’t get to see for ourselves, as well as answer a smattering of our questions about all we’ve seen and played.  From high level multi-player dungeons to AVA, the social experience, to crafting, morality, and max-level progression… well, we got an earful.  Read on for more and leave us your thoughts in the comments below.

Read the rest of Bill Murphy's Elder Scrolls Online: Stuff We Didn't Play.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto
Follow me on Twitter if you dare.

Comments

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,627
    If there is no player housing I won't be playing.  That was the best part in Skyrim, I love filling up my bookshelves and what not.
    "The King and the Pawn return to the same box at the end of the game"

• BillMurphyBillMurphy Former Managing EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 4,565
    I actually told them they need to add it in, Betaguy.  I doubt it'll make ship, but I think the team knows it's important to the TES IP.

Try to be excellent to everyone you meet. You never know what someone else has seen or endured.

My Review Manifesto

• GI05GI05 Member Posts: 17
    Interesting about the megaservers. Would they be like Eve Online or SWTOR where they have clone maps?
  • ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Bill the game looks a mix between SWTOR and GW2

But thanks for your efforts in trying to make this game look something it is NOT..........................a TES game

The game is too Story/Quest focused...........never been a TES priority

Crafting is an afterthought (unlike TES), no housing, combat is not FPS style like TES, skill system is anything like TES, and all those artificial Social features (Facebook, Google+)....... oh dear, where is the immersion gone? (TES main feature)

Next time you see Zenimax guys, tell'em they should do like SoE and rebuild the game from scratch, this is just a waste of their time and their money.

Zenymax need to create the World of Tamriel, that's what TES fans want,, not another WoW clone.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    Originally posted by GI05
    Interesting about the megaservers. Would they be like Eve Online or SWTOR where they have clone maps?

SWTOR..............obviously

Originally posted by GI05

It'll be cloned/layered maps like Champions Online or DCUO.  

My Review Manifesto

• UlorikUlorik Member UncommonPosts: 179

Being mostly interested in large scale PvP, the AVA system sounds interesting, not the least when mixed with the possibility to join "shards" based on player preferences (...would like to play with mature players interested in strategic RvR..tick)

I very much hope they plan on a  "Darkness Falls" like dungeon with access for  the faction who controls certain choke points or tops the leaderboard etc, that was the best about DaoC.

(and btw. their skills development system reminds me of TSW...horizontal levelling and such)

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    The mega server thing sounds like tsw, they spawn extra instances if zones when full, and allow you to pve cross server.

I have great fears for the pvp with this megaserver tech. No doubt people will want the freedom to play all 3 factions, and without 3 servers it will be a mess. Only 2 mmos have got factional pvp really right imo, daoc and planetside, sadly I don't see TESO joining them.
    also I don't get the "housing is too hard thing"

The people making this game worked on daoc, uo and tes single player.

All of which have player housing.
  • SlickShoesSlickShoes Member UncommonPosts: 1,019
    Originally posted by ste2000

Bill the game looks a mix between SWTOR and GW2

But thanks for your efforts in trying to make this game look something it is NOT..........................a TES game

The game is too Story/Quest focused...........never been a TES priority

Crafting is an afterthought (unlike TES), no housing, combat is not FPS style like TES, skill system is anything like TES, and all those artificial Social features (Facebook, Google+)....... oh dear, where is the immersion gone? (TES main feature)

Next time you see Zenimax guys, tell'em they should do like SoE and rebuild the game from scratch, this is just a waste of their time and their money.

Zenymax need to create the World of Tamriel, that's what TES fans want,, not another WoW clone.

I don't know how you got WoW clone from any of these articles today?

Also the combat is nothing like WoW, did you read the articles?

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    There was a poster on the Tamriel Foundry who stated Housing is defintley on thier todo list after launch.  They want to make it as perfect as possible.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

Yeah I was interested in the game before when it sounded like a cross between the best mmo I played - daoc and the best rpg series - tes.

But this instanced zones thing and phasing and what not - oh god no. It breaks the legacy of both games, both were open world with no instancing whatsoever (ok later tes games have zoning but not instancing). :(
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,367
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    also I don't get the "housing is too hard thing"

The people making this game worked on daoc, uo and tes single player.

All of which have player housing.

Maybe that's why they know that player housing is hard to do.   Believe me, it opens up several different cans of worms.   It is cool, no doubt.   What is important is that if they are going to do it, they need to plan for it early.   Otherwise it could just be an ugly bolt on.

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    Will someone please fill me in on what's the big deal with housing?

For the love of mmo I can't see the big deal with or without housing and I guess most dev see it that way as well, because if its an essential feature it would be there on launch day..

I can see I being cool in Eso as its apart of the ES series, but even in Gw2 they are asking for housing..
  • ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by ShakyMo
    Yeah I was interested in the game before when it sounded like a cross between the best mmo I played - daoc and the best rpg series - tes.

But this instanced zones thing and phasing and what not - oh god no. It breaks the legacy of both games, both were open world with no instancing whatsoever (ok later tes games have zoning but not instancing). :(

Well.. and DAoC Housing was in a seperate zone(or instance) and didnt felt alive. And as i see it here.. if you plan to add it late it will not be more than that. So.. i dont expect anything, at least about housing.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Xstatic912
    Will someone please fill me in on what's the big deal with housing?

Probably not. It's a taste thing and if isn't yours, it just isn't.

All you have to do is accept that others like it a lot and, from the PoV of the Devs, it's a great player retainer that helps many get invested into your product.

Apraxis:
    Daoc had zoning.

But it didn't have any of this latest fad for instancing / sharding or whatever they call it.

Nothing was instanced in daoc, even the dungeons and leveling pvp was single copy and persistent.
  • Xstatic912Xstatic912 Member Posts: 365
    @ Vesavius

Guess that's why the Sims was so popular.. But I get you point.

also does anyone know how resource heavy and expensive housing would be on the servers.. Back in the day with galaxies, or before then stuff was a bit cheaper to do.. Now we are in frickle mmo market that seems they want all future releases to be B2P, or if its sub base most probably start hitting cap and quitting after 3 months..

So I don't think its that housing is hard, i think the way the market is, that has an influence on what makes it in..
  • DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

How is the conduit system different than the field synergy system in GW2?

It sounds exactly the same.. an elementlist throws down an ice field and people use attacks to take advantage of it.

Are the conduit attacks simply a single extra attack?

I mean no offense, but you make this sound like it's a revolutionary idea..

I'm a bit worried about their economy based on crafting too, after what happened with GW2 :/

Originally posted by Dakirn

How is the conduit system different than the field synergy system in GW2?

It sounds exactly the same.. an elementlist throws down an ice field and people use attacks to take advantage of it.

Are the conduit attacks simply a single extra attack?

I mean no offense, but you make this sound like it's a revolutionary idea..

Sorry, not intended to make it sound revolutionary.  :)

If you're in the field, it's a separate "contextual" attack.  It's just a cool feature, regardless.  I'm curious to see what other sorts of ways this is done in multi-player combat.  

My Review Manifesto

It wasn't revoloutionary in gw2 either, it goes back to coh.
  • GrumpyMel2GrumpyMel2 Member Posts: 1,832

Sorry but color me skeptical at this point. The word from them was all "We are alot like TOR." until they saw that TOR tanked. Now it's all "We are NOT TOR." That begs the question whether that is actualy a change in design philosophy or a change in PR speak?

Though it's de-emphasized in coverage now ALOT of the game still sounds suspiciously TOR-like.

Ultimately we'll see what happens when the rubber meets the road and they get to public release. I'm reserving judgement until then, but they are going to have to prove that in reality its Elder Scrolls Online and not TOR in Elder Scrolls Dressing.... and that won't happen until it gets in the hands of someone who is NOT a member of the Press.

They never described the game as tor like.

At first it sounded daoc like (the aaa endgame, the world setup, open dungeons, craftable everything) all good
    Then it sounded a bit more wow like (instanced dungeons and pvp) first ok, second bad
    Then it sounded gw2 like (the combat, the optional personal story) first good, second not bothered
    Now it sounds a bit tsw like (mega servers / shard swapping, build system, letting you play all 3 sides) first & third bad, second good

But at no time have they described it as a cutscenes and corridor game.
  • MukeMuke Member RarePosts: 2,614

seeing the screenshots it looks like Oblivion/Skyrim.......so is it now going to be a sandbox game or just another themepark?

"going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

• DrakxiiDrakxii Member Posts: 594

• No “safe period” when defending keeps. Must defend right after take over.
    Yeah... thats not going to work.

• Player crafting is expected to be a huge part of the economy.
    • Crafters can and will dabble in all schools, and anyone can collect any resource.
    Player crafting and being able to collect everything(let along craft most things) will DESTORY the economy.

• Role-player emotes, flags for the Megaserver to group you by all coming before launch.
    Yay LFD at start.  Who needs a community!

I will not play a game with a cash shop ever again. A dev job should be to make the game better not make me pay so it sucks less.