Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bringing back the light

ZemardZemard Member Posts: 7

Hi there,

since the very first Diablo came out, I've been attracted to that type of games Torchlight is. Everything drags my "once-hardcore-now-casual-gamer" soul into this world.

What could I say other than that game is the finest and most clever achievement of what an Hack and Slash RPG should be. The games flow is fast paced, enough for me to feel that I'm moving forward in the Torchlight universe.

There are a lot of surprises throught the game, if you enjoy the genre, this is worth the buy.

Trully yours,

Zemard

P.S.: The "steampunk" flavor, while taken with care so it would not burst into an exagerate use, is perfect.

Comments

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223
    Originally posted by Zemard

Hi there,

since the very first Diablo came out, I've been attracted to that type of games Torchlight is. Everything drags my "once-hardcore-now-casual-gamer" soul into this world.

What could I say other than that game is the finest and most clever achievement of what an Hack and Slash RPG should be. The games flow is fast paced, enough for me to feel that I'm moving forward in the Torchlight universe.

There are a lot of surprises throught the game, if you enjoy the genre, this is worth the buy.

Trully yours,

Zemard

P.S.: The "steampunk" flavor, while taken with care so it would not burst into an exagerate use, is perfect.

I completely agree with you. This is one of the very few times I have been hyped about a game that turned out to deliver on its promises. This is also the best videogame release I bought this year, beating GW2. I am very happy with this title.

The huge positives of this game:

-Flexibility: modability which Runic actively supports, online or offline play (yes no closed servers as of yet, but at least you have two modes of play whereas the other recent ARPG release, Diablo 3, only allows online, closed server play), huge customisation of classes to fit your playstyle, many ways to tweek your loot through transmutation and enchantments.

-Replayability: randomization of areas, class customization will see people making new builds of classes, mapworks that allows people to pop random dungeon crawls based on level, various loot will entice people to continue dungeon crawling to look for rares and uniques, game+ mode that allows you to continue the original campaign at a higher level.

-Atmosphere and environment: the artstyle is deceptively simple, but I think it has a great steampunk/fantasy setting that does not exist in other ARPGs. The closest is D1/D2, but they are more medieval in feel. The environment is also pretty interactive: I have been able to blow up crystals in mines that every now and then drop gold or gems, there are lots of hidden spawn points for mobs, and unmarked areas or secret rooms. The mobs are varied and interesting.

-Gameplay: fun, fast, and furious. There are some rooms that are completely stuffed with mobs, and it can be complete mayhem. The classes are extremely varied and require some thought to play in harder difficulties and planning out. Crowd control is very useful as are defense and healing.

The downsides:

-Formulaic: the ARPG genre is definitely stagnant, but not really more so than other game genres (FPS, RTS, etc.). However, if you disliked the oldschool ARPGs, chances are you won't like TL2. The story has already been done and is the weak point of the game as well.

-Item tetris: most of the item tetris problems of D1 and D2 are gone, but the stashes are too small in my opinion, and there is no way to upgrade them (perhaps doable in a mod). This is a big problem seeing how many uniques drop and many are for classes that you are not playing and therefore want to keep for a new character.

And I really, really wish that the mapworks was available from level 1, or whenever you get to the first town. In TL1, you could buy random maps straight away. In TL2 you have to finish the game. I can understand that it is a reward for finishing the game, since you have some merchants available that are not in the first town (gambler for example), but there should be some way to pop random low level maps in my opinion.

I also think some of the item stats could be improved.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.