Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: Former Asheron's Call, EQ2 devs begin Project: Gorgon

2»

Comments

• Hydros13Hydros13 Member Posts: 30
    I backed the project, and hope they do reach the goal.
  • DrigusDrigus Member CommonPosts: 50
    It seems as if they're only using their "name" to sell the game, rather than the game itself. It just doesn't look good. It looks old and outdated, with the gameplay looking extremely dull. I know it's not finished, but they should of taken some more time before releasing a video for it. 
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    long way to go on this one ;) Hope you guys get there. 
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TamanousTamanous Member RarePosts: 3,026
    Originally posted by Drigus
    It seems as if they're only using their "name" to sell the game, rather than the game itself. It just doesn't look good. It looks old and outdated, with the gameplay looking extremely dull. I know it's not finished, but they should of taken some more time before releasing a video for it. 

Ya just like the other kickstarter mmo projects lately: Demand tons of money without barely even a screenshot even within numerious developer interviews. 

Project Gorgon is making a huge risk. They went full disclosure early in the project and likely aren't promissing anything near AAA quality graphics anyway. I give them guts for that at least.

You stay sassy!

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    I'm cautiously optimistic for this game, the graphics are pretty bad but with Srand at the helm, the former Asherons Call lead, it could turn into something old school and fun. 

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Vannor
    Originally posted by Vesavius
    Originally posted by erictlewis
    One look at the UI and I just about wanted to puke.  No thanks I will pass.

...and THIS is why I would never want to make an MMORPG.

The project is so early in it's development life, and yet people still give knee jerk intolerant statements like this.

They shouldn't have released game footage if they didn't want people to judge it. Simple as that.

Maybe they thought people would be aware and mature enough to get that what they are seeing is in no way the final product.

Again, your reply really only reinforces why I would never make an MMORPG for the modern player.

• DakirnDakirn Member UncommonPosts: 372

I like the potential.  They sum up the game pretty well: "quirky."  The game is definately quirky.

Quirky is kind of nice after the junk that's come out lately.  I'm always hoping for more distinct indie games like this.

To the trolls: Not every game has to be a massive success to be a good game.

Originally posted by Vannor

[mod edit]

You know that not every indie company has tons of money otherwise they wouldn't be using Kickstarter right?  I find it laughable that people expect small companies to have access to the money they expect them to.

Money doesn't make a great game, just look at SWTOR.  You could have made 10+ MMOs for the cost of that one and much better quality.

By your logic everything on Kickstarter could be a money grab.

The two people working on the game have worked on games before.  They aren't asking for hundreds of thousands of dollars.  It's 55k, and after the 20% Kickstarter takes and taxes it doesn't quite turn into a "money grab."

Originally posted by Rednecksith

Looks interesting, but not enough so for me to donate some of my (sadly limited) funds. I will say this though: Unlike the kickstarters for Citadel of Sorcery and Pathfinder, they're at least showing folks that they've got something, and not just describing all the 'amazing features' the game will have. Gives them a lot of credibility in my book, and I'll definitely be keeping an eye on the project.

Oh, and I'm 99.9999999% sure the UI shown is a placeholder. At least I really, really, really hope so.

While I agree that it looks like an interesting game, I don't agree with your representation of CoS.  Pathfinder, yes, CoS, no.

The difference is that Gorgon licensed an existing engine.  It's easy to take time to throw content into an engine that already exists.  CoS built their own engine from scratch.

i'm not saying that they shouldn't show more (they said they showed what they can but the technology is what mostly exists and showing that is proprietary and let others see "how" they do what they say they're doing) but match the two games together isn't an accurate comparison.

As far as CoS, they probably won't make their Kickstarter but I'll still be following them since they plan to finish it even if it takes longer.  Until I see proof that they're shutting down or it doesn't work I still have faith in them.

But I totally understand how jaded gamers are now after all the false promises.  I am giving them a chance and those who aren't.. well we can all agree to disagree and see what happens.  No need to be rude to each other or call companies money grabs.. we're all the same community and none of us really want the same junk over and over.