Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Smedley: "EverQuest Next will be the world's largest sandbox-style MMO ever made"

Comments

• HahhnsHahhns Member Posts: 210

ok sure

Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Okay, now that is fricken funny!

Yeah i did a google search and nothing stated that eq is having any servers, so that email is most likely a few years old but brad stated that it was fake

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by pvpirl

fuck it.

Sorry what, what what? What does that mean? 1999 Source? WHAT?

IS THIS TRUE?!

EDIT: Saw the above. I hate everything.

But what does Source 99 mean?

Yeah he did nto seem very happy when i let him know about the above email.
  • rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

well..

this has taken a turn to the weird. lol.

certainly brad has had some really good ideas but he has had some equallty bad ideas.

Good:

factions, classes, theme, challenge, fluff...

bad:

levelling, raiding, camping, wait your turn gameplay, bookstaring.

if hes working on the game lets hope hes learned something over the past 14 years.

• pvpirlpvpirl Member UncommonPosts: 178

Lets hope fires of heaven stays in eq where they belong. We dont need them turning yet another game into a raid grinder.

thats half the problem these days in mmo's. Special interest groups getting into alpha/beta early and getting in bed with the developers. Reliance on endgame raiding has had its day. Time to let it go.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by rungard

Lets hope fires of heaven stays in eq where they belong. We dont need them turning yet another game into a raid grinder.

thats half the problem these days in mmo's. Special interest groups getting into alpha/beta early and getting in bed with the developers. Reliance on endgame raiding has had its day. Time to let it go.

Fire of heaven or not, EQNext will be very raid and PVE centric with an robust PvP system available on select servers.

Originally posted by Rimmersman

Fire of heaven or not, EQNext will be very raid and PVE centric with an robust PvP system available on select servers.

somehow i just dont think so, but well have to wait and see wont we.

• SiveriaSiveria Member UncommonPosts: 1,419
    In b4 its just a generic wow clone. Sandbox and mmo just doesn't seem to work well, to me a sandbox has full crafting of even player housing, cities, but also has lots to do, which most mmo's lack, I don't call doing repeting quests content, since they are all fetch this, or kill this, nothing epic or intersting about that. Anyway, I just hope they don't screw it up, but remember: never believe the shit these devs spew because most of the time it never happens. *points at swtor as a prime example* "Cinematic heroic combat" you get in game and its just wow.

Being a pessimist is a win-win pattern of thinking. If you're a pessimist (I'll admit that I am!) you're either:

A. Proven right (if something bad happens)

or

B. Pleasantly surprised (if something good happens)

Either way, you can't lose! Try it out sometime!

well.. this has taken a turn to the weird. lol. certainly brad has had some really good ideas but he has had some equallty bad ideas.Good:factions, classes, theme, challenge, fluff...bad:levelling, raiding, camping, wait your turn gameplay, bookstaring. if hes working on the game lets hope hes learned something over the past 14 years.

I think the failures of both Smed and Brad, coupled with their seeming willingness to change and return to the drawing board maybe be fertile grounds for good game design.

Having said that, confirmation of Brad actually working on EQN is not there yet, I fired off an e-mail to him for shits and giggles to confirm this other e-mail.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437

They open classic servers a lot of EQ if that is what you like to do. Fippy and Vulak and some others opened  a while ago, I forgot all the names.

As for FoH, they are the ones who bailed on Everquest during GoD and ran off to WoW. I don't know why they even get mentioned, they haven't been in EQ for 10 years. I remember them as a very annoying bunch, they were before they ran off to WoW and in any game they rear their ugly head.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Rimmersman

somehow i just dont think so, but well have to wait and see wont we.

Lol, you really think that smed is going to turn EQ into a sandbox PVP game with PVE as an add on? I'm not saying it will be a total copy of EQ but make no mistake EQNext  will have plenty of raiding and PVE, more so than PVP.

What updated PVE/RAID system we will get  i don't know but it will be there.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

well..

certainly brad has had some really good ideas but he has had some equallty bad ideas.

Good:

bad:

if hes working on the game lets hope hes learned something over the past 14 years.

I hope you aren't implying that an MMO needs instancing... DAoC did great raids and had no camping in the game world, and it didn't have any instancing.

Also, Brad made Vanguard, which is probably the best PvE MMo to date. He's learned quite a lot.

Originally posted by DavisFlight

well..

Good:

bad:

I hope you aren't implying that an MMO needs instancing... DAoC did great raids and had no camping in the game world, and it didn't have any instancing.

Also, Brad made Vanguard, which is probably the best PvE MMo to date. He's learned quite a lot.

No im no fan of instances but im no fan of rare spawn camping either. I was just pointing out that not everything was great in everquest. Well see what mcquaid has learned. I look forward to him being on the EQN team but i certainly wont use vanguard as proof of anything.

Its all merely a rumor at this point anyway..

Having said that, some McQuaid involvement in EQN does make this already controversial title even moreso, I dig it.

they should call the game "Everquest Free"

it rhymes with everquest 3

its free to play

its a sandbox which emphasizes player freedom.

can we get a forum now? lol.

wtb EQN forum.

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Starpower
    And even if we get what's promised, I'm sure forumgoers will have plenty to bitch about anyway.

That is the order of things.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• CalmOceansCalmOceans Member UncommonPosts: 2,437
    the thread was on the second page already, omg you guys, I'm away 5 minutes and look what happens

Smed? Georgenson? Aradune? anyone?

were in dire need of a detail...any detail.....

• RydesonRydeson Member UncommonPosts: 3,852

well..

Good:

bad:

levelling, and what is wrong using an artificial tool to indicate experience and skill?  Real life jobs, and military have it.. you just can't expect to jump into something and be King..  raiding,  This can be a good thing iif done correctly , or a bad thing like how WoW and others did  it.. camping,  I actually enjoyed camping a location whether I was by myself or a group..  wait your turn gameplay, bookstaring.

• YizleYizle Member Posts: 517
    Is mmorpg.com anti EQN? Over 80 pages on this thread and we still can not get a forum for it.

Originally posted by Yizle
    Is mmorpg.com anti EQN? Over 80 pages on this thread and we still can not get a forum for it.

They claimed they wanted an offical logo, screen shots, etc before a content area would be provided, despite the countless turd MMOs, vaporware, or games as pre release as EQN, with their own areas. Oh well :P

Smed? Georgenson? Aradune? anyone?were in dire need of a detail...any detail.....

This.

This discussion has been closed.