Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

General: EverQuest Next Reworked, Playable Next Year

Comments

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by health001
    wow thats just sad they spent 3 years working on it and then trashed it O_O sounds fishy to me but then again we are working with John Smedley here this guys motives are profit driven but then again thats every ceo

They probably went the same design route as SW:TOR. No doubt! And saw to their horror how it blew up in their faces and crashed and burned.

And like I said in another topic. If they really want to go the sandbox route, they need to try get Raph Koster back!

SWG pre-NGE had it's flaws, but the crafting system wasn't one of them. To this day, that crafting system was the best I have ever seen. No other MMO has ever come even close to that.

They need to get this crafting system back in EverQuest 3!

• Nebula131Nebula131 Member Posts: 22

i have come to the point where i can laugh about everyone stating "we will change the mmo genre". especially since the (still) biggest sub based mmo never invents something new but just takes ideas and systems from other mmos and sometimes finetunes it.

i guess soe is doing fine now with it's current running games and after the massive reduction of costs on all ends (the worst for me is having some of the games in europe now handled by Pro/Sat1 media AG who are...well, let's just face it..noobs when it comes to sub-based mmos)

but if they want to get with the big players again they have to deliver something big.

with an sandbox EQ in the likes of pre-nge swg they could certainly serve one part of the players. let's just hope they aim for that and not for 5 million subs+ and satisfying everyone...

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194

Sandbox is the next big thing for the MMO industry.

Now that a big gun like SoE jumped on the wagon, I expect some smaller fish to do the same (who knows, maybe even Blizzard with Titan).

Anyway the EQ IP is my favourite and this is the news I was expecting for almost 10 years.

The only negative is that the game won't release before the end of 2014

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,956
    Originally posted by ste2000

Sandbox is the next big thing for the MMO industry.

Now that a big gun like SoE jumped on the wagon, I expect some smaller fish to do the same (who knows, maybe even Blizzard with Titan).

Anyway the EQ IP is my favourite and this is the news I was expecting for almost 10 years.

The only negative is that the game won't release before the end of 2014

I think Funcom already tried to set the tone with The Secret World.

Eventho that game isn't everyone's cup of tea and the setting serves a niche.

They still did something radical different and it's good to see that another studio (SOE in this case) is following suit.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Eh? A sandbox where 'content is delivered in a new way'?

Isn't the whole point of a (real) sandbox that you give us the tools and let us make our own content?

Methinks Smed might just be using fashionable buzzwords in order to generate hype...

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Well, I'm interested.

Granted, SOE may have ruined some good games... But that also means they've actually managed to make some games people care enough to get pissed about being ruined, right? :)

I'll admit I didn't enjoy either of the Everquest titles much, but the thing here is... After SWG getting the "sunset", SOE now has no game for the sandbox players (well, at least the adults). And there's fierce competition in the AAA themepark jungle.

The other option would be to go for the more hard-coreish, group-oriented, old-school EQ design. I think that kind of game design is being neglected more and more and I think there's a playerbase for it. But see, SOE does still have the original, but they have no sandbox.

So, makes sense to me. I'll give it a go. Though I still dislike F2Ps... Wish they'd go P2P with this, but fat chance of that with Smed being head over heels in love with the F2P model, right?

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

I am not a big Smedley fan, he has made too many stupid decisions in the past for me to get excited about anything he has his hands in.  I am also curious what his definition of sandbox is.  I know that Blizzards mysterious MMO they have been working on is also rumored to be a sandbox.

Probably won't see anything until 2014 at the earliest from either of these studios.

• HedeonHedeon Member UncommonPosts: 997
    Originally posted by Nikopol

Well, I'm interested.

Granted, SOE may have ruined some good games... But that also means they've actually managed to make some games people care enough to get pissed about being ruined, right? :)

I'll admit I didn't enjoy either of the Everquest titles much, but the thing here is... After SWG getting the "sunset", SOE now has no game for the sandbox players (well, at least the adults). And there's fierce competition in the AAA themepark jungle.

The other option would be to go for the more hard-coreish, group-oriented, old-school EQ design. I think that kind of game design is being neglected more and more and I think there's a playerbase for it. But see, SOE does still have the original, but they have no sandbox.

So, makes sense to me. I'll give it a go. Though I still dislike F2Ps... Wish they'd go P2P with this, but fat chance of that with Smed being head over heels in love with the F2P model, right?

they have their cash shop and still want people to pay 15$ monthly - giving 5$ of cashshop money "for free" each month - atleast if you look at how they plan to make Planetside 2´s pay model http://forums.station.sony.com/ps2/index.php?threads/planetside-2-membership-plan-revised-based-on-your-feedback.26546/

• seldinseldin Member UncommonPosts: 196
    I see that there seems to vocal amount of people pushing they want a new sandbox mmo but I dont see that it is anywhere near the vast amount of themepark mmo players.  Most mmoplayers play themeparks and have not played a sandbox.  These same players will not know what to do in a sandbox and will complaign that there is nothing to do or it is too hard to figure out.  Everyone mentions Eve as one of the best sandbox games and I beleieve as of March only had 400,000 subscibers.  Most of the people I know who play eve have at least 2+ accounts so how many truly unique players are there.  Sandbox games are more limited so yes they have a few more subscibers per game but if you count the number of themepark games and there players and subscibers it dwarfs sandbox games.  What players really want is a well done game but I dont see that happening any time soon.  Vocal players dont have the patience to let games evolve into what they will be because no game is going to be what it was at release. 
  • NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798
    Originally posted by seldin
    I see that there seems to vocal amount of people pushing they want a new sandbox mmo but I dont see that it is anywhere near the vast amount of themepark mmo players.  Most mmoplayers play themeparks and have not played a sandbox.  These same players will not know what to do in a sandbox and will complaign that there is nothing to do or it is too hard to figure out.  Everyone mentions Eve as one of the best sandbox games and I beleieve as of March only had 400,000 subscibers.  Most of the people I know who play eve have at least 2+ accounts so how many truly unique players are there.  Sandbox games are more limited so yes they have a few more subscibers per game but if you count the number of themepark games and there players and subscibers it dwarfs sandbox games.  What players really want is a well done game but I dont see that happening any time soon.  Vocal players dont have the patience to let games evolve into what they will be because no game is going to be what it was at release. 

I have no idea what kind of crowd sandbox will bring

SOE has said they will continue to support the EQ1 / EQ2 themepark franchises alongside EQ sandbox

Blizzard said something similar w Titan, (altho not sure if will be sandbox)

WOW will keep getting support -- 2 expansions are already planned

hopefully Titan will be released before WOWs 6th expansion (2015/2016)

• sgtalonsgtalon Member UncommonPosts: 129

I think this is a great thing to hear.

It takes some serious balls to go in look at what you have and scrap it.

I have been following Planetside 2 development very closely and have been playing it since very early closed beta (first round invite) And i have to say that I think Smedley is not looking at games the way he used to. 

He is taking a much more critical eye at the way these things get played and telling his developers to think bigger. I am guessing that he sat down and played EQN and after a little while said "what's the point?"

I have high hopes for this new path. I would kill to have a game that gave me the feeling of realness that EQ1 had. Death means something, stupidity gets you dead, and you can't just half-ass the game. You need to be on top of it and engaged.

Personally i think that if anyone can pull off making a true "Next Generation" MMO the SOE team has the best chance. After seeing what they have done with PS2, i have no doubt that it is going to be Epic.

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,222
    Originally posted by seldin

I like when people tell other people what they want and how they will behave in the future.

Well PvE Sandpark/Sanbox fans have litrerally nothing.  And it doesn't have to have no PvP just have some PvE that isn't total trash.  It would seem a smart decision that they tap into these fans.

I have some hope with SOE considering they made EQ1 and SWG and they were involved with Vanguard to some extent, which are are all quite different than what is popular now and so many fans are burnt out on (shallow no freedom TP's).  Should be interesting to see how things evolve with this title.

• NadiaNadia Member UncommonPosts: 11,798

im also curious if EQN is going to be crossplatform for consoles too  (like FreeRealms, DCUO, PS2)

• herculeshercules Member UncommonPosts: 4,924
    Most likely the failure of swtor showed soe that ppl want something new not a modernized wow
  • BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979

Hey as long as someone is offering something truly new/different, I'm listening!

Themepark sub-genre has evolved quite a bit over the past 8+ years, sandbox sub-genre has barely inched forward a hair.

• YakCastYakCast Member Posts: 59
    I love how he said, EverQuest Next would be the "world's largest sandbox" I think the only type of sandbox SOE is aware of are the ones kids play in at the park. I won't hold my breath but I would be amazed if SOE was capable of doing something and not totally screwing it up!

Yak Cast | MMO Podcast: http://www.yak.mmoSmackTalk.com
    Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/yakmmosmacktalk
    Follow me on Facebook:http://www.facebook.com/YakCast

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    Sandboxes take a lot of work, time and I wont believe we have a sandbox on our hands until I see it.
  • health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    what is going to screw SOE is them trying to make eq 3 to fit all pc old and new ;/ hell when eq 1 came out i had to get a new pc. I think pc companys got an increase in sales that year casue serveral of my freinds did the same thing.People with craptacular pc's are just gonna complain about the lag casue the world is just gonna be one big seemless world
  • ReehayReehay Member Posts: 172

hope they dont use the same Animators from EQ and EQ2... holy fuking horrible. were they High Seniors hired for a summer project? or mexican migrant workers you found in an alley?

whomever worked on DC Universe Online's character animations... hire them. please. for the love of Zek... hire DCUO's Animators and demote the EQ2 animators to janitors. not even exagerating... EQ2 had the worse animations ever.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Can we have an EQNext hype and an EQNext forum please, things are starting to hot up.

• health001health001 Member UncommonPosts: 58
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Can e have an EQNext hype and an EQNext forum please, things are starting to hot up.

check back in 1 year 6 months

• fenistilfenistil Member Posts: 3,005

If there will be separate sub only no microtransactions, no plex-like currency sale servers I am in possibly.

I don't think there will be though as SoE is freemium only, so thanks but no thanks then.

• DauzqulDauzqul Member RarePosts: 1,982

This is good news.

People can bash SOE all they want. The fact of the matter is that they launched the only two MMO I've ever played longer than 30 days: SWG & EQ2. Playen 'em both for years. They dropped a bomb with NGE, but we all learn from mistakes.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Now, I am not normally that much of a doomsayer, but I wouldn't be surprised to see 'development suspended' or words to that effect on this title by June next year.
  • RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by health001
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Can e have an EQNext hype and an EQNext forum please, things are starting to hot up.

check back in 1 year 6 months

Tell that to the ArcheAge hype and forum.