Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

General: SOE Announces 'Krono' Tradeable In-Game Item

MikeBMikeB MMORPG.com Community ManagerQueens, NYPosts: 5,717Administrator Uncommon

SOE president John Smedley has announced the 'Krono', a tradeable in-game item (similar to EVE's PLEX) which will grant players 30 days of premium membership time in whatever game the item is redeemed, during this year's SOELive keynote.

The Krono will only initially be available in EverQuest II (beginning October 29, 2012), but SOE plans to expand this availability further to other SOE games going forward.

Michael "MikeB" Bitton
Community Manager
Twitter: @eMikeB

Comments

• health001health001 league city, IAPosts: 54Member
    dear lord ,some one stop John Smedley from putting out anymore stuff.He is killing the MMO world
  • OG_ZorvanOG_Zorvan Fresno, CAPosts: 615Member
    Originally posted by health001
    dear lord ,some one stop John Smedley from putting out anymore stuff.He is killing the MMO world

No, I think EA took over that title. Except EA is killing gaming as a whole, not just one genre.

EA CEO John Riccitiello's on future microtransactions: "When you are six hours into playing Battlefield and you run out of ammo in your clip, and we ask you for a dollar to reload, you're really not very price sensitive at that point in time...We're not gouging, but we're charging."

• Panther2103Panther2103 Edmonds, WAPosts: 2,356Member Uncommon
    I think it's a good idea. It gets players to keep playing that only want to play for free but don't like the loss they take when they cannot afford a monthly fee. Also in turn gets rid of the gold sellers, at least a little bit.
  • TorvalTorval Oregon CountryPosts: 7,197Member Uncommon
    I wonder how much these will cost.  I have a couple hundred plat on my silver account, my bags are full, the broker has money on it I can't collect.  If I could spend plat on gold status I might reinstall the game for a while.  Is that how this is going to work or does it cost SC?
  • LoktofeitLoktofeit Stone Mountain, GAPosts: 13,643Member Uncommon

It's a great idea. Of the players that are heavily invested in the game, some have extra time they want to invest and some have extra money they want to invest. This puts the two in touch with each other.

This also helps to cut down on gold sellers because many players would much rather go with a secure, official in-game channel for their gold than a third party.

There isn't a "right" or "wrong" way to play, if you want to use a screwdriver to put nails into wood, have at it, simply don't complain when the guy next to you with the hammer is doing it much better and easier. - Allein
    "Graphics are often supplied by Engines that (some) MMORPG's are built in" - Spuffyre

• Agnostic42Agnostic42 That place, Overthere, WAPosts: 375Member

It has been a constant problem in the EQ games, where players buy gamecards, then sell them in-game for plat, EQ currency. Quite often this results in scammers ripping off players with defunct gamecard codes after the transaction.

SOE removed the ability to use to use station cash to renew subsciptions earlier this year to a public outcry on the forums.

With this he just answered both of those problems. Smart move on his part.

• HedeonHedeon GraestedPosts: 954Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    I wonder how much these will cost.  I have a couple hundred plat on my silver account, my bags are full, the broker has money on it I can't collect.  If I could spend plat on gold status I might reinstall the game for a while.  Is that how this is going to work or does it cost SC?

someone will need to use SC to buy them, then that person can choose to throw it on auction for you to buy it for plat

• DarkVagabondDarkVagabond Posts: 271Member Uncommon

Its not like its a unique idea, the likes of EVE and others have already done it.

I wonder how Sony will manage to do it incorrectly.

• FalstaffFalstaff Attica, OHPosts: 72Member Uncommon
    Have they changed the amount of Plat that a free player can carry?   I doubt anyone buying this is gonna sell it ingame for the 17 plat a silver player can carry.
  • AsamofAsamof La Canada, CAPosts: 738Member Uncommon

is SOE really going to make more profit off of this somehow??

either way sort of interesting

• itchmonitchmon west islip, NYPosts: 1,714Member Uncommon

it works for eve, i'm sure it'll work for EQ2.

i wish more games would do it because it helps put a foot down on the ISK/gold sellers.

RIP Ribbitribbitt you are missed, kid.

Currently Playing EVE, DFUW

Every gun that is made, every warship launched, every rocket fired signifies, in the final sense, a theft from those who hunger and are not fed, those who are cold and not clothed.

Dwight D Eisenhower

My optimism wears heavy boots and is loud.

Henry Rollins

• OzmodanOzmodan Hilliard, OHPosts: 7,183Member Uncommon
    Good move on SOE's part.
  • AsamofAsamof La Canada, CAPosts: 738Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by health001

No, I think EA took over that title. Except EA is killing gaming as a whole, not just one genre.

smedley DREAMS of being able to ruin mmos and other game genres like EA does. 

• senadinsenadin Markham, ABPosts: 228Member

You dont stay CEO of a company by doing bad things. If Smedley was really bad for SOE they would have canned him. So clearly you may not like the man or his company but you cant say he want to destroy MMO and gamimg. If anything SOE is the one company who tend to save MMO from the brink. SWG is the only MMO they ever closed and it wasnt closed because they wanted to. It was closed because the license wasnt renewed when SWTOR launched.

• DraronDraron A town in, KYPosts: 993Member
    Originally posted by senadin

You dont stay CEO of a company by doing bad things. If Smedley was really bad for SOE they would have canned him. So clearly you may not like the man or his company but you cant say he want to destroy MMO and gamimg. If anything SOE is the one company who tend to save MMO from the brink. SWG is the only MMO they ever closed and it wasnt closed because they wanted to. It was closed because the license wasnt renewed when SWTOR launched.

This. It seems hating on Smedley is the "cool" thing to do on these boards.