Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do you still think GuildWars 2 was that "Revolutionary Game That Would Change The Genre"?

123457»

Comments

• Gaia_HunterGaia_Hunter Member UncommonPosts: 3,066
    Originally posted by Rimmersman
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Gaia_Hunter

Quate that.

Ah you can't because I never said that.

Is that why you ignoring  the open world games like Vanguard with 'not successful enough' argument? so only if game sells like fast food 'open world ' becomes more relevant? all right. Whatever you say.

I'm ignorining Vanguard because people are trying to say I said something i didn't say?

So you are saying in Vanguard everyone is on the same team without partying? That everyone is doing "quests" together without having to share them? That resources are shared? That there is no loot and resource competition?

And what has that got to do with open world, that's just mass grouping without having to invite.You are going away from what you actually said to try and press the "i win" button but you lost pages ago with that silliy claim of yours.

I already told you I was using Open World as the shared world opposed to private instances like dungoens and raids.

Which generally is not a controversial definition aside if it involves GW2 where even calling it a MMORPG is debated.

"Mass Grouping" - you getting there.

Massive Multiplayer Online (MMO), questing and eveling.

Currently playing: GW2
    Going cardboard starter kit: Ticket to ride, Pandemic, Carcassonne, Dominion, 7 Wonders

• lotapartylotaparty Member Posts: 514
    Originally posted by RavingRabbid
    I voted no. It's a good game but not enough to change the genre at all.  I'm not going to go into detail but I'm pretty neutral about this game. I agree with some of the things above in your post OP, but some things I haven't participated in so I can't really comment on it.  It's not a game that draws me back to it a lot to play unfortunately. I wish it are different.

i totally agree with you 

• trenshodtrenshod Member UncommonPosts: 128
    Originally posted by crosslee

Long time reader on this website, but a starter poster ;) To me many of Guildwars 2 "Revolutionary Gameplay" ideas are kinda sad and nothing new... just reused old ideas under a new shiny name.

Is it worth the 60$ simple answer for me yes because i do enjoy it as a quick pick up n play kinda game and it will always be there years later unless they pull the plug on servers of course lol. If it had a subscription attached to it, i Wouldn't even bother with it tbh. It's good for casual players to come on and get something done for an hour or two almost like a WoW Jr in that aspect.  

Exploration is kinda dull and un-rewarding half the time, minus the beautiful views of course and random 1 or 2 chests you find along the way. All the waypoints, hearts, points of interest all marked on your map ruins it. Plus some areas you stumble into while exploring might require a party to kill monster/monsters which is annoying if your solo or no one is around to help.

Structured PvP is nice for an hour or two but then it gets boring. Can't make premade groups which is odd but understandable i guess. Again the accesiblilty is there for casuals to jump in and start playing but thats about it. I don't get an addiction for it like other mmo's PvP systems. *since i waited over an hour to eventually give up waiting for 9 more teams of five to join for it to start i forgot about tournaments being a vaible premade method for sPvP. If u can wait for others to play with you....that is. Maybe my server is dead idk.

WvW is zerg here zerg there everywhere a zerg, plus what server has the most people online at the time you decide to go in. Trying to get in solo or with friends is a test of patience and time with the fact that you can't join que as a group so each person gets there own que timer to get in. There is no Estimated Time to show how long till your eligible to zone in.

Rewards. Area rewards are horribly stupid, waste all that time trying to complete an area for mediocre items makes it pointless imo. Dungeons drops are nice in the sense no one ever fights about drops, it's all randomly distributed behind the curtains which is very nice. Probably the best part about the game is the distribution of loot. lol

Crafting is nice but lots of stupid clutter to make it look like a vast crafting system but in turn just makes it annoying half the time. Want to craft a pair of boots, wait u 1.need to smelt your copper 2. get some cloth (of course our virtual boots need to be comfy for our long travels, espicially with walking soo slowly everywhere lol) 3. make three parts : sole, padding, exterior of your boots 3. add insignia's for extra stats then viola your 1 pair of boots is finished..... again more stupidity then an actual complex crafting system.

Dungeons feel unorganized and messy, i hate them with a passion. Tera, Secret World, WoW dungeons feel nice and layed out perfectly from start to finish. [mod edit]
    Again loot is beautifully handled, most of the time completly useless aswell but thats another story lol.

Story is interesting but the cutscenes ruin it. Boring cutscenes with wallpaper backgrounds ruins the immersion they try so hard to instill within the game. Maybe it's from seeing The Secret World and Swtor cutscenes but is it soo much to ask to see the actual in-game background instead of wallpaper????

Combat is sad aswell, nice and simplistic yes. Auto attack and cooldowns is all its about, with the new innovation of moving around!!?!?! to avoid AOE and attacks..... don't think i need to say more lol

Money Costs are again a major downfall. Traveling, Repairing, Gathering Tools, Salvage kits. Money sink i understand but in a game where the trading post nets you 1 copper profit for the majority of items is ridiculous and selling to merchants is better then selling on trading post =/ maybe i fail at GW2 economy lessons. Every coin i make is precious for saving up for armor, *cough cough cultural armor and other items i may need only to spend a nice chunk teleporting everywhere. Traveling to meet friends is gonna cost you, even to help someone out in your guild. To check an area with a dungeon to see if anyone is forming pickup groups. Coins Coins and more Coins gone, reminds of Aion and the rezzing fee to get your exp back. Want to cut back on costs don't worry you can spend a nice chunk of time running to said location aka walking.... unless you have a speed boost skill.. then you get actual running lol. Or for those that have a nice chunk of real life money why not spend it on gems to convert into in-game gold!!! All your money issues in-game gone with actual spending of your hard earned cash.  [mod edit]

Long story short. (lol if you watch South Park) I have been playing since beta and there was something in the back of my head bothering me about this game. I just can't get into it like other mmo's, there is no addiction for me wanting to log in on a daily basis. Revolutionary game?? not by a loong shot just another niche game for those WoW stragglers looking for something new or those  [mod edit]

Hard to claim anything in the game is revolutionary when its all been done in other games. Sure they put there own twist on it but it doesn't make the game this great new idea. In all honesty I think all that is left is to twist what has already been done.

• Lovely_LalyLovely_Laly Member UncommonPosts: 734

hi all,

I've just stated to play GW2 and already started to be disappointed...
    Must admit I was big fun of GW for years, then got bored of doing same stuff and moved to other games. All I'll tell now is sure just my IMO so no need to throw rotten tomatoes. =D

My early impression is that "unique" GW2 is somehow mix of Aion, Rift and may be early WoW (Blizzard already repaired these errors by now).

1. graphic: sorry to tell but I like way more previous GW, especially cinematic which is not even close at GW2.
    2. economy: well it never was easy at GW but here again pay for all and everything is not the best idea.
    3. item shop: I see it come and dislike it only because it supposed to be made as buy to play game. I know GW has also some kind of item shop but it's not the same (pure cosmetic or PvP only packs), and never got tokens. again just IMO
    4. combat: somehow more easy with skills, not sure if I'll not be bored way faster...
    5. character: ok as human we looking pretty much like at Aion, but don't forget that Aion itself is outdated by now... Means I know some games where I have better look.
    6. armor: seems equipping new armor does not change initial appearance. Can be very boring with time.
    7. Trading post: sorry to tell but never seen AH done in such a bad way: very hard to find anything there...
    8. crafting: may be the worst of all: too complicate to make anything...
    9. is it only me or where do I find a bank? at least till lvl 10 I have not seen any..
    10. personal story: idea was sure very good but in practice it's just solo instance which I like way less then group... IMO again.

All over I would better find next expansion of GW that this not even close to originals, game. Seems I bought 1 more same and boring game...
    Not sure why devs not meditated about simple question: why GW was so popular and Aion such a fail..

Anyway will try to play more and look, may be I'll get some nice surprises...

try before buy, even if it's a game to avoid bad surprises.
    Worst surprises for me: Aion, GW2

• WorfiWorfi Member Posts: 16

Just read forums...

It is "a second MMO"! "No sub"! etc.  

So basicaly  it's nice graphics, sound, and some cool things to see and do first time. Nice to play casually for a month (what you get in every sub MMO for free too). After than it's time to move on. For me it was one of rearly MMO's i couldn't even level alt, cause i was so bored on main after 40 levels doing heart's and "dynamic" events all the time and, yes, "explore"... Vistas and compleating maps getting that 100%? Give me a break. Like i play GTA. After 2 maps it's so boring and grinding. You feel like you need to do every achivment in "other MMO's" and they sell it as end game. Things to do at 80. Remember folks when somebody need to put a "Things to do at 80" or "this is a end game" posts about their own game that means they faild to do it right. You can argue that but it's a fact - when you need to explain people what to do in your game it means you failed somewhere big time...

False marketing, full of fanboys, over hyped, etc. Next time when i read an review and see them repeating all the time how it's free to play (but in reality it's like every other game but in this case with IMHO overpriced starting price , so it's pay 60 for a maybe month of fun and than it's no sub but nice cash shop)  i'll know i get nice "casual" game. In my case i longer played L.A. Noire or Total war, Civilization, not to mention Football manager (playing it since it was Championship manager 2 back in 1995.). So this game (in my case) wasn't even worth the price on box... 

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    GW2 is the bestest most awesomest innovative game evar!

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• Pumuckl71Pumuckl71 Member Posts: 121

imo the whole post is doomed  to be an ordinary  08/15  flamer/fanboy thread ... and  its so sad that we actualy communicate on these terms.

Troll...flamer ...fanboy ...hater  ect ect .  it cant get more pathetic then it currently is . And its all but  not bout Guild Wars .

you see all those miserable doomsayers on every platform , be it imdb for movies , be it here on  every single game that pops theyre  miserable and negative  from the start  ... wanna make sure with halfwit arguments that everyone else jumps on their wagon. Provoke the shit out of everyone opposing their mindset... theyre ready to be destructive instead of being constructive...

• sapphensapphen Member UncommonPosts: 911

I voted yes because I believe GW2 will change the genre.  I feel that almost every mmo that has been released changed the genre in some way, large or small.  GW2 took a few good ideas, complied them together and showed they could create a decent game doing what every other developer was too scared to do.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

It is a much needed choice that has enhanced the mmo pool. It is a perfect fit for a lot of mmo gamers that previously struggled to find a home in the genre.

• sbrite10sbrite10 Member Posts: 71

Long time reader on this website, but a starter poster ;) To me many of Guildwars 2 "Revolutionary Gameplay" ideas are kinda sad and nothing new... just reused old ideas under a new shiny name.

Is it worth the 60$ simple answer for me yes because i do enjoy it as a quick pick up n play kinda game and it will always be there years later unless they pull the plug on servers of course lol. If it had a subscription attached to it, i Wouldn't even bother with it tbh. It's good for casual players to come on and get something done for an hour or two almost like a WoW Jr in that aspect.  

Exploration is kinda dull and un-rewarding half the time, minus the beautiful views of course and random 1 or 2 chests you find along the way. All the waypoints, hearts, points of interest all marked on your map ruins it. Plus some areas you stumble into while exploring might require a party to kill monster/monsters which is annoying if your solo or no one is around to help.

Structured PvP is nice for an hour or two but then it gets boring. Can't make premade groups which is odd but understandable i guess. Again the accesiblilty is there for casuals to jump in and start playing but thats about it. I don't get an addiction for it like other mmo's PvP systems. *since i waited over an hour to eventually give up waiting for 9 more teams of five to join for it to start i forgot about tournaments being a vaible premade method for sPvP. If u can wait for others to play with you....that is. Maybe my server is dead idk.

WvW is zerg here zerg there everywhere a zerg, plus what server has the most people online at the time you decide to go in. Trying to get in solo or with friends is a test of patience and time with the fact that you can't join que as a group so each person gets there own que timer to get in. There is no Estimated Time to show how long till your eligible to zone in.

Rewards. Area rewards are horribly stupid, waste all that time trying to complete an area for mediocre items makes it pointless imo. Dungeons drops are nice in the sense no one ever fights about drops, it's all randomly distributed behind the curtains which is very nice. Probably the best part about the game is the distribution of loot. lol

Crafting is nice but lots of stupid clutter to make it look like a vast crafting system but in turn just makes it annoying half the time. Want to craft a pair of boots, wait u 1.need to smelt your copper 2. get some cloth (of course our virtual boots need to be comfy for our long travels, espicially with walking soo slowly everywhere lol) 3. make three parts : sole, padding, exterior of your boots 3. add insignia's for extra stats then viola your 1 pair of boots is finished..... again more stupidity then an actual complex crafting system.

Dungeons feel unorganized and messy, i hate them with a passion. Tera, Secret World, WoW dungeons feel nice and layed out perfectly from start to finish. [mod edit]
    Again loot is beautifully handled, most of the time completly useless aswell but thats another story lol.

Story is interesting but the cutscenes ruin it. Boring cutscenes with wallpaper backgrounds ruins the immersion they try so hard to instill within the game. Maybe it's from seeing The Secret World and Swtor cutscenes but is it soo much to ask to see the actual in-game background instead of wallpaper????

Combat is sad aswell, nice and simplistic yes. Auto attack and cooldowns is all its about, with the new innovation of moving around!!?!?! to avoid AOE and attacks..... don't think i need to say more lol

Money Costs are again a major downfall. Traveling, Repairing, Gathering Tools, Salvage kits. Money sink i understand but in a game where the trading post nets you 1 copper profit for the majority of items is ridiculous and selling to merchants is better then selling on trading post =/ maybe i fail at GW2 economy lessons. Every coin i make is precious for saving up for armor, *cough cough cultural armor and other items i may need only to spend a nice chunk teleporting everywhere. Traveling to meet friends is gonna cost you, even to help someone out in your guild. To check an area with a dungeon to see if anyone is forming pickup groups. Coins Coins and more Coins gone, reminds of Aion and the rezzing fee to get your exp back. Want to cut back on costs don't worry you can spend a nice chunk of time running to said location aka walking.... unless you have a speed boost skill.. then you get actual running lol. Or for those that have a nice chunk of real life money why not spend it on gems to convert into in-game gold!!! All your money issues in-game gone with actual spending of your hard earned cash.  [mod edit]

Long story short. (lol if you watch South Park) I have been playing since beta and there was something in the back of my head bothering me about this game. I just can't get into it like other mmo's, there is no addiction for me wanting to log in on a daily basis. Revolutionary game?? not by a loong shot just another niche game for those WoW stragglers looking for something new or those  [mod edit]

Your Entire post is opinion not fact and the question really is a question of opinion as well.Why do these keep coming up?If you guys arent happy with the game dont play it.It doesnt have to be revolutionary to be a great game.In my Opinion it does everything it set out to do and that makes me happy.See what I did there?I offered my opinion.Its mine.Its different than yours.Grow up and move on.

Originally posted by Blackstar347
    I think you are nitpicking a bit. Some might find it revolutionary others will not. Why should we care if some people out there don't find it a revolutionary game? For me I didn't come into the game with expectations like that and was pleasantly surprised. It was easily worth my $60 and I look forward to playing it in the future which is what the OP agreed to do as well. To me that's all that matters.

Agreed.I got my $60 worth the first 2 weeks.I buy Xbox360 games that dont give me that much value.These polls are written by trolls who have nothing better to do than wine because they had unrealistic expectations and were subsequently dissapointed because it didnt live up to them for them if that makes any sense.

• dakotaaoc08dakotaaoc08 Member UncommonPosts: 77
    In short I will answer this simply as stating that no such game currently exists, and I doubt one will exists until the next generation  of computer gamers are middle aged.
  • crossleecrosslee Member Posts: 11
    Originally posted by sbrite10

Your Entire post is opinion not fact and the question really is a question of opinion as well.Why do these keep coming up?If you guys arent happy with the game dont play it.It doesnt have to be revolutionary to be a great game.In my Opinion it does everything it set out to do and that makes me happy.See what I did there?I offered my opinion.Its mine.Its different than yours.Grow up and move on.

Never did I say it was "fact" as you put it lol but sensitive people will be just that. It's not a matter of, if i'm not happy with it don't play it because in "fact" i will continue to dabble in it occasionally. See what i did there?! lol

It was a simple question of Do You Still "think" hence opinion.....(some people can't comprehend i guess) that it's a Revolutionary Game?

Love people like the above poster it amuses me. image

"Sheep Will Always Look For A New Shepard. Fact Of Life" ~ My Head

"All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care."
    ~RavingRabbid

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Revolutionary? Did any sane person ever claim it would be? It's a breath of fresh air, but it's underdeveloped PvP and weak social aspect hurt it.

It's better than more WoW clones though, I'll give it that.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

I do not care for "revolutionary" games. I do care for FUN games. And so far only few fits very well here, swtor, wow, rift, gw2, .... and had my share of fun once with aoc, war, co, ....

I think main problem of games are those (better not to use some strong word to not get report :-)) players (not sure if such people actually play) that complain about everything always being in search for their next "revolutionary" game. in mean time in their path THEY have destroyed many many at least decent games.

• AvsRock21AvsRock21 Member UncommonPosts: 256
    When you say genre, I think of themepark mmorpgs, not all mmorpgs or mmos. In that sense, I do think GW2 is a revolutionary game that will surely change/influence the future of the genre.
  • KenFisherKenFisher Member UncommonPosts: 5,035
    Revolutionary payment model was and is closest to my thinking.

Ken Fisher - Semi retired old fart Network Administrator, now working in Network Security.  I don't Forum PVP.  If you feel I've attacked you, it was probably by accident.  When I don't understand, I ask.  Such is not intended as criticism.
    Originally posted by sbrite10

Never did I say it was "fact" as you put it lol but sensitive people will be just that. It's not a matter of, if i'm not happy with it don't play it because in "fact" i will continue to dabble in it occasionally. See what i did there?! lol

It was a simple question of Do You Still "think" hence opinion.....(some people can't comprehend i guess) that it's a Revolutionary Game?

Love people like the above poster it amuses me. image

I never thought it was maybe some people did but your generalizing and assuming everyone thought it was a revoultionary game and you know what assuming means right?I can comprehend fine but stupid poles like this serve noo purpose other than to antagonize the people who are enjoying the game for what it is.A game that does a lot to move the genre forward.Take a lot of ideas that are in other games and Iterates on them and makes them its own thing.This game is very good and deserves to be played.A lot of love went itno the design of it.So your poll is just a Troll as usually is the case for these posts.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944

i voted yes

cause of the way you deploy the gameplay (with downed state, skills, holy trinity, etc)

cause they extra weight they gave in aesthetics (not just many many pixels, but graphic art, something which is missing from the majority of MMOs) and..

for sure the way the "quests" are expressed

also the dimensions of WvW (although i dont like) might be a good example for other designers how to satisfy the sandbox geeks : )