Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Editorial] Final Fantasy XIV: Glory or Death - Part One

1235»

Comments

• MisterSrMisterSr Member UncommonPosts: 928
    OP, It is this kind of response that I absolutely loathe. When people react like this they warrant game companies to give up on their products when they fail, rather than fix the issue. . . I would much rather see a company dedicated to their product and customers; a company that has enough humility to admit their wrong doings and try to correct them. We have plenty of SOEs out there. Give Square another chance--let them show us what they've got.
  • shakermaker0shakermaker0 Member UncommonPosts: 194

For some of those that may have missed the point.

This is a Devil's Advocate type piece. Here's one view, the negative, and next week we have the positive. Let's boil it down to this is the dumb-dumb "I h8 FFXIV 4EVA" category, whereas next week we will have a considered, informed, and more forgiving approach.

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and cause debate. That's the point.

• NadriellNadriell Member UncommonPosts: 197
    this guys a dumbasss, its "A realm Reborn" and if you actually read about it you'd realise its a completely new game, not just some patch.......    seriously and you work for mmorpg?
  • SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732
    Originally posted by Toxia

Everyone keeps saying how they are making a whole new game- and i just dont see it .

If we go by what they say, they have almost completely removed everything old from the game and remade it. In a year.

IN A YEAR-while also updating the failed version.

I just dont see making an MMO that fast. Sorry :(

EDIT: Where are the gameplay videos for this new release? It is surely in their best interest to show how awesome they've made the game to win back customers. But they aren't. Which tells me cash grab :(

I'll be using my free week to make sure tho, but im not getting my hopes up

If you take the time to do some research, you will find plenty videos of gameplay, they hide nothing.

How can that be a cash grab is those who already bought it will not have to pay the box and it wil have a free trial. If they wanted to do a cash grab they would not have done this re-make, they would simply lets FFXIV in its state and continu to charge a sub (yeah plenty of people kept paying for it) and move along. Like every others compagny out there.

Now just for the record they been working for 2 years on this not 1 years, and you do know that SE has a shit load of employee. So yeah i thinks is possible.

Now like you said we will see.

• cable101cable101 Member Posts: 6

I'm going to have to research this game a little more.  It seems like a great idea.

• AnnwynAnnwyn Member UncommonPosts: 2,854
    Originally posted by shakermaker0

For some of those that may have missed the point.

This is a Devil's Advocate type piece. Here's one view, the negative, and next week we have the positive. Let's boil it down to this is the dumb-dumb "I h8 FFXIV 4EVA" category, whereas next week we will have a considered, informed, and more forgiving approach.

It was meant to be tongue-in-cheek and cause debate. That's the point.

How can you "cause debate" when you get basic informations (such as the name of the game being criticized) wrong. I don't think that's the kind of "debates" this site should push forward.

Making a negative article is fine, making a tongue-in-cheek article is fine, but for christ sakes at least get the facts right.

• AshluraAshlura Member UncommonPosts: 127
    I am with you. You release well, or dont release.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,742

Due to the IP the company is still trying to sort the MMO out, that is good. Today semi successful means you are in the trash bin, trying to make a decent MMO after a bad start is something we should applaud. It took AO about two years become the game they wanted to realease at launch. In todays climate you don't get two months let alone two years to prove yourself.

So I wish them all the best and if they do pull it of it will highlight how the launch, sell well then crash and burn stratergy is a poor one for the genre.

• mmrvmmrv Member RarePosts: 305

You know I had this discussion witht he rabid delusional final fantasy fanbois when ffix was in the final betas.

I said the game is awful it isnt eve a game, they said hah! this isnt the game there will be a big patch for the real game.

then it was the open beta, they said the same things.

then it was pre release early access I still said wow this game blows there is no big patch, they said HAHAHA you just wait this is only the early acess the real release will have a huge patch make it awesome!!!

Release day game, nothing changed.....but now they said HAHAHAHA wait for the first big patch square always releases a big patch later makes the game awesome FFXI online was lousy like this at release and NA got the game after the first big patch...

Fast forward the first patch changed nothing, the game was still atrocious but now the fanbois said, screw you I think the game is fun gtfo FOTM MMO GUY!!

Fast forward, you just wait The kingdom reborn is a total remake dude it will be awesome YOU WILL SEE!!!!

Barnum was right there are suckers born every minute.

• aphydorkaphydork Member Posts: 133
    You could say that about every MMO.
  • dudewtf36dudewtf36 Member Posts: 3

No Thanks,

Reasons I would not play this game. "Again"

Pre-maturely Released.

Failed on release.

Failed after multiple patches.

Ask for feedback from current players, after they paid for the game. As if it where still in beta!

If we continue to give game developers 2, 3, and 4 chances to get it right, they will continue to put out fail games. Take our money! "Re-develop" with these new found funds to put out another half ass game that gets us by till something better comes along.

Its a WOW clone. Most of the MMO communtiy, from what i have read in most forums, are bored with the WOW style. It in my own personel opinion it  is played out and very old. Every developer now is trying to crack into WOW wealth. They have seem to have lost there Identity.

Final Fantasy has been a great series. But they need to find there own nitch and stop relying on another developer to come up with something new or cool and just to use the idea many years later to branch off of and make a similar game with diffrent lore.

To the developers out there....

Did you get into developement to copy others or to be original and do new cool things in the gaming world. I know you think ways to pay, f2p, p2p, and things of this nature are new. But they are perks in my mind. New to me is the things they make the game fun. Graphics, Comunity, Story, Quest that glue you to your seat for 3 hours. Chalenges and feel of having accomplished something. I know its a good game when the sun starts to rise and im still playing... and It dawns on me that i am going to be late for work. This part is called "DEPTH" which many games today are missing and what WOW lacks.

What's funny is that you said players shouldn't give developers multiple chances to get things right, so you believe they should be limited to getting it right the first time.

This would lead to more copying than less copying. If there is no room for failure, there is no room to try out new ideas. FFXIV may take some from WoW, but they also tried a lot of new things such as the character class and skill system. FFXIV did not do so well.

So you're saying we shouldn't give them another chance? Once you sink millions into an MMO and fail at release, expect that money to just be unrecoverable? If that's the case, why would any publisher want to back any MMO that isn't identical to WoW?

What a silly way of seeing things.

I never said anywhere in my post, nor has it ever been said development was risk free. If there where no risk in game developement there would be hundreds of game fails like we see now.

They have reduced the risk to produce failures cause we as the gaming community continue to give them multiple chances to get it right.

You buy a car that has been road tested and it falls apart... You act on a law called "Lemon Law" to get this car replaced.

You go to the Doctor and he screwes it all up.....  You act on a law of mal-practice.

You buy a crappy game... There is no law granted you payed 50-120 buck for the game.. not the end of the world right! But thousands of people payed for this same crappy game. Do the Math on the $50 dollar mark. "Millions" of dollars obtain on the basis of a risk free develpoement style.

We all should start developing.. its basically a bunch of chloning with changes to pixellls and lore and looks of chars.

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908
    Originally posted by Ashlura
    I am with you. You release well, or dont release.

That's what she said...

Sorry.

I do not think the world works in the way you think it does.

Also, doctors performing procedures are not encouraged to be innovative. There are experimental procedures, but the patient usually has to sign paperwork saying that they understand the risks involved.

Car makers can and should test cars to make sure that they are safe and reliable. If the cars end up not being safe and reliable down the road, there are recalls for that, and people do sue. What we're talking about is people liking the design of the cars, and if you buy a car after test-driving it and you don't like the current state it's in--knowing full well that cars do not get patch updates--, you're on your own.

Bad analogies aside, no game or software can release perfectly to the varying tastes of millions of players. You could argue that console games and single-player games do, but they receive patches as well. There are also many less variables in designing single-player and console games, outside of the obvious massive multiplayer console games.

I get it. You want things to go well at release. Everyone does. You don't want to give things a second shot. That's your own prerogative. But outside of MMOs spending even longer periods of time in development, your expectations are unrealistic.

SWTOR spent an extremely long amount of time in development in the hands of a very notable developer of single-player games, and even they couldn't get it right.

You bring to light my points so well.

Everything else has a backup, recalls, lawsuites, ect.

Gamers have no backup, we spend money, the game flops we are out. There is no recall.... no lawsuits nothing... We are screwed. So yes the only recourse we have is to expect higher expectations from our developers that expect this money of ours.

Also the point you bring to light is another developer that failed again by reminding me of SWOTR. THESE are big named developers, with alot of backing and some excellent teams that in the past have put out some great games that may have needed some tweaking. Sure a little tweaking and some updating a bug here and there reasonable.. AND entire game that has completely failed and is in no way close to what these developement teams are capable of is what i refrence.

The bottom line is we do not expect absolute perfection. But the outright total failure we have seen from developers like SE and Lucas is obsurd. AS if to me they do not try to even get close.

There is only one set of people that keep the developers on there TOES and that is the gaming community itself. If we lower our expectations and just except the poorly developed games, they will continue to develope them. At some point the cycle has to stop. Who can stop it? The developers have no cause for stop they are losing nothing. Most people would rather play something and complaine about it, rather than to play nothing at all.

Trust me, I would much rather be playing an alltime great MMORPG right now, but i am currently in the hunt for one that can keep me entertained.

What you're asking for is perfection, though.

All the MMOs that have been recently released have many qualities that a lot of gamers stick around for. SWTOR still has a lot of fans enjoying it. Even FFXIV had a lot of people genuinely enjoying it. Why they fall through the cracks is because they did not release with everything honed to perfection.

In Guild Wars 2, everything is done very well, except for a few things that split the playerbase apart. Some feel those flaws should be fixed. Others feel they should be left as is. Many are feeling that Guild Wars 2 is losing its shine after a few months of playing, despite absolutely loving it at first.

So in order to be completely successful and maintain its playerbase, an MMO has to do everything well and have all their systems be relatively perfect.

As for everything having a backup, it's hit or miss. Society has deemed that the customer is always right, so you have stupid things like people returning clothes after three months or people getting vouchers for free movies if they complain about not liking a movie. Paying customers want to be treated respectfully and intelligently but also as if they are incredibly stupid as well.

As an intelligent customer who would like other customers to act intelligently--so as not to make the rest of us look idiotic--, here is some advice: If you don't know if you will be happy with a product and think you might want to have a "backup" if you dislike it after trying it, wait 3-6 months to buy it. Let other people who want to leap at every shiny toy, game, or gadget try it and get back to you.

• Calintz333Calintz333 Member UncommonPosts: 1,193

With Guild wars 2 just released I see no real reason to try this game out again, at least not in the near future. 

I wish them luck, the game always had some potential.