Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So will DF:UW be a real deal Sandbox this time around, or a open endgame themepark like the first ga

123457»

Comments

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by MMOExposed
    Originally posted by Hotjazz

wait wait wait, do you want a Themepark or a Sandbox?

Themepark concept was made, to address the many negative aspects of Sandbox MMO like UO.

your argument seem to be the same as those themepark mmo designers, not of a sandbox.

Yes, in your deranged world UO wasn`t a sandbox either.

"Darkfall isn`t a sandbox, because I can`t fly a spaceship with my gay wookie char."  WTF?

What you are looking for isn`t  a sandbox, it`s called a trollbox. A trollbox mmo never have and never will excist. Trollbox mmos only appear  in forums when trolls try to defend their shallow, boring and linear themepark games. Darkfall is a true sandbox and one of the very few out there. I want you to name ONE game that fits your weird vision of a sandbox, and If you can`t  I`ll just call you a pathetic, lying troll.

Now please go back to your Lotr game and kill som NPC orcs .....Legolas....Haha

Again, show me the sand in Darkfall1's sandbox. There isn't any. You don't empact the world beyond predesigned player cities. 

If that's what you call a sandbox, than WoW is a sandbox as well, because of Halaa and the other PvP zones..... 

I can take my clan and prevent anyone from reaching a certain area and getting a certain resource. That's impacting the world. I can control territory in a meaningful way. Cities I take I will hold until someone takes them back. Nothing resets. I can create quests for other players. I can place items on the ground in the game world. I can use any weapon skill or armor I want. I can choose not to do any PvP and just follow quests from city to city.

Sounds like a sandbox to me.

• DarthRaidenDarthRaiden Member UncommonPosts: 4,333
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

Themepark concept was made, to address the many negative aspects of Sandbox MMO like UO.

your argument seem to be the same as those themepark mmo designers, not of a sandbox.

"Darkfall isn`t a sandbox, because I can`t fly a spaceship with my gay wookie char."  WTF?

What you are looking for isn`t  a sandbox, it`s called a trollbox. A trollbox mmo never have and never will excist. Trollbox mmos only appear  in forums when trolls try to defend their shallow, boring and linear themepark games. Darkfall is a true sandbox and one of the very few out there. I want you to name ONE game that fits your weird vision of a sandbox, and If you can`t  I`ll just call you a pathetic, lying troll.

Again, show me the sand in Darkfall1's sandbox. There isn't any. You don't empact the world beyond predesigned player cities. 

If that's what you call a sandbox, than WoW is a sandbox as well, because of Halaa and the other PvP zones..... 

I can take my clan and prevent anyone from reaching a certain area and getting a certain resource. That's impacting the world. I can control territory in a meaningful way. Cities I take I will hold until someone takes them back. Nothing resets. I can create quests for other players. I can place items on the ground in the game world. I can use any weapon skill or armor I want. I can choose not to do any PvP and just follow quests from city to city.

It is just a very poor one. If they had worked on it and fleshed everything out it would have been probably the best sandbox but since they took decisions leading to the opposite of sandbox its just a a shell of sandbox game.

You can't prevent someone from getting a ressource because the ressource is global and you can find any ressource in absolutely  different places so no matter which area you control.

You can have cities but they have no purpose other to offer your clan a common bindspot (and to offer ARAC clans -which is like every clan- a home). Everything is predefined you have no control over which ressource you would like to mine plus all these ressources can be found elsewhere. The only good idea comming from player cities  is the wonder bonus but all crybabies cry a river about how it does unbalnce PvP even so THAT is what i would demand from a playercity/castle type of home/building in a sandbox RPG game.

You can create quests for other players ?  with pen and paper probably lol

You can place just 2 items on the ground a fireplace to cook (who has the time to cook fish while fighting?) and a "temp bank" which ironically if the players use it sandboxy everyone cries like a crybaby.

With the upcoming patch you won't be able to use all skills or armor or weapon but i give you these, at least combat wise Darkfall is a good sandbox. (too be clear just skills and FFA PvP - because economy and area control and everything that makes combat meaningfull is shallow and / or non existant)

Just everything else then combat is bad and not worthy of a sandbox.

- everything on the world is predesigned and placed for you.

- everything serves just one purpose  (the funhulks can only function in a battle against other funhulks)

- item drop loot as good as crafted items

- ressources are global and simple (there is just 1 type wood that can be found everywhere)

- walls aren't what everyone believe theyare. Walls don't funtion properly (and its not like they bugged, they ok but the game around them is niot well thought out) and there is not difference to their existance. So trying to build your playcity the best results in being pointless.

- there is just 1 type of Clan ARAC because of the poor alignment system.

- there is only one tactic  to beat things -   "capture the flag"  / do more damage on something then someone else

- the best way to make gold is daily mission driven / PvE

its all poor and lacks a lot of sand !

The best invention idea they had  was IMO the village system but they sabotage their own idea by making everything around it depend on rare drop loots and don't expand on them but declaring all thehousing system as "not essential" but "optional", that shows you how much their understanding on the sandbox subject is.

-----MY-TERMS-OF-USE--------------------------------------------------
    $OE - eternal enemy of online gaming
    -We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088

Darkfall was a sandbox wannabe but turned out to be sandbox lite with zerges.

Did I get this right?

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Did I get this right?

Says the Mortal Online fan image  LOL

• TorgrimTorgrim Member CommonPosts: 2,088
    Originally posted by Hancakes

Did I get this right?

Atleast in MO flawed as it is there are more things to do than Darkfall lite.

If it's not broken, you are not innovating.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by DarthRaiden

It is just a very poor one. If they had worked on it and fleshed everything out it would have been probably the best sandbox but since they took decisions leading to the opposite of sandbox its just a a shell of sandbox game.

You can't prevent someone from getting a ressource because the ressource is global and you can find any ressource in absolutely  different places so no matter which area you control.

Stopped reading there, because that's factually incorrect. There are a lot of rare resources that clans can lock down.

• RealbigdealRealbigdeal Member UncommonPosts: 1,666

Did I get this right?

I hate to admit it, but this is 100% true.

C:\Users\FF\Desktop\spin move.gif

• Pale_FirePale_Fire Member UncommonPosts: 360
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Did I get this right?

I would like to remind you that none of the "things to do" in MO actually work.  Well, except for duping.  That works great.  That's an intended feature in MO, right?

• HancakesHancakes Member Posts: 1,045
    Originally posted by Pale_Fire
    Originally posted by Realbigdeal

Did I get this right?

I would like to remind you that none of the "things to do" in MO actually work.  Well, except for duping.  That works great.  That's an intended feature in MO, right?

LOL ... so true

Stopped reading there, because that's factually incorrect. There are a lot of rare resources that clans can lock down.

I doubt you played Darkfall for long cause there is barely anything that can't be found somewhere else. 

Mind to share some examples of  ressources that are rare and unique  to a location ?

-We finally WON !!!! 2011 $OE accepted that they have been fired 2005 by the playerbase and closed down ridiculous NGE !!

"There was suppression of speech and all kinds of things between disturbing and fascistic." Raph Koster (parted $OE)

• Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386
    threads like this make me lose all hope in humanity.
  • bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751
    Originally posted by Crunchy222
    threads like this make me lose all hope in humanity.

And the mods, this has been a blatant troll thread and a massive wind up all the way through. It should have been binned pages ago.

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• KeegarKeegar Member UncommonPosts: 19
    Originally posted by karmath

I find it immensely irritating when people call sandbox games themeparks. Sure DF didnt have every feature under the sun yet in no way shape or form was it anything like a themepark.

2/10 for making me reply.

QFT

anyone argueing otherwise has never played DF (or never played it in a clan)

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

I doubt you played Darkfall for long cause there is barely anything that can't be found somewhere else. 

Mind to share some examples of  ressources that are rare and unique  to a location ?

Can you find them elsewhere? Yes

Do you have control over which ones you get, and are they easy to get? No.

Did rare ore nodes exist anywhere outside of clan controlled holdings? No.

Having control over a rare ore node gives you a big advantage over players who dont have them as you can get waaaaay more rare ore than someone doing something like just hitting normal nodes hoping for that 1 random rare ore for every few hundred normal ores you mine. More rare ores = a surplus of higher rank weapons / armors or the ability to trade it for lots of money to buy the equipment from others.

Considering you dont seem to realize why holdings with rare ore nodes were fought over constantly between clans makes me think youre the one who didnt play DF very long. You may not be able to 100% prevent people from getting that same resource, but youre going to easily control 90% of that resource in the game if you control the holdings which have them.

The only other option for consistently getting rare ores is to farm the corresponding golems, but even that is still much slower than mining rares in a holding, and also comes with the risk of being in a PvP hotspot and constantly coming under attack and losing the stuff youve been farming.

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Can you find them elsewhere? Yes

Do you have control over which ones you get, and are they easy to get? No.

Did rare ore nodes exist anywhere outside of clan controlled holdings? No.

Having control over a rare ore node gives you a big advantage over players who dont have them as you can get waaaaay more rare ore than someone doing something like just hitting normal nodes hoping for that 1 random rare ore for every few hundred normal ores you mine. More rare ores = a surplus of higher rank weapons / armors or the ability to trade it for lots of money to buy the equipment from others.

Considering you dont seem to realize why holdings with rare ore nodes were fought over constantly between clans makes me think youre the one who didnt play DF very long. You may not be able to 100% prevent people from getting that same resource, but youre going to easily control 90% of that resource in the game if you control the holdings which have them.

The only other option for consistently getting rare ores is to farm the corresponding golems, but even that is still much slower than mining rares in a holding, and also comes with the risk of being in a PvP hotspot and constantly coming under attack and losing the stuff youve been farming.

Bu that was my point you can find everything elsewhere and about the rare ore.

Other holding with same type of mine, rare chance on any regular ore node, Golems, as "caravan" rewards,as  fortress reward, as reward on high end mob and lastly even from caping any village spot. 

The resource system is shallow, with this global and unidimensional ressources. In the future you will get them even from global AH what will even more dumb down  this shallow system even further and means  less sand in the almost non existant sandbox.

and to get back to uselfullness of holdings, lets pretend for a moment you are right and the ore mines give you the advantage and the reason to fight over them. What about all the holdings without a mine ?   right, a sandbox desaster..

• psykobillypsykobilly Member Posts: 338

Other holding with same type of mine, rare chance on any regular ore node, Golems, as "caravan" rewards,as  fortress reward, as reward on high end mob and lastly even from caping any village spot. 

The resource system is shallow, with this global and unidimensional ressources. In the future you will get them even from global AH what will even more dumb down  this shallow system even further and means  less sand in the almost non existant sandbox.

and to get back to uselfullness of holdings, lets pretend for a moment you are right and the ore mines give you the advantage and the reason to fight over them. What about all the holdings without a mine ?   right, a sandbox desaster..

The main resource your holding gets you is not ore... it is access to particular mobs with enchanting drops or item drops like high rank weapons of a particular kind.  You can't get a rank 60 bow drop off of just any mob, nor can you get Q5 mats off of just anything.

Those are geography specific, and top-end enchanters need to travel the entire map to get what they need.  So you can't find everything elsewhere.

Originally posted by psykobilly

The main resource your holding gets you is not ore... it is access to particular mobs with enchanting drops or item drops like high rank weapons of a particular kind.  You can't get a rank 60 bow drop off of just any mob, nor can you get Q5 mats off of just anything.

Those are geography specific, and top-end enchanters need to travel the entire map to get what they need.  So you can't find everything elsewhere.

Beside that a vet gamer who grow up with with real sandbox games will start puking  hearing about mobs drop high rank weapons ?  WTH of a flowed sandbox  design is this for mobs to drop such valuable ready to use items  ?  so beside the sandbox desaster the argument about the holdings can be repeated here as well..

What about holdings who happened to be displaced by developers and developers didnt place those sweet mobs next to these holdings ? Another sandbox faux-pas and bad sandbox design by developers ...