Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Freemium restrictions detailed, updated Oct 16

Comments

• jonathon82jonathon82 Member Posts: 21
    Free to Play Sucks Period. Except for Aion. LOTRO and a few others arrent too bad. There playable atleast. Most games that are F2P are so restricted after a certain point you cant even really play them.  IMO Cash Shops should should be all cosmetic and travel i like dyes and cool outfits and awesome mounts and flying mounts. People like that stuff and will pay for it and you'll have a lot more loyal players. You'll still have people that wont pay anything but thats ok because it help the playerbase.
  • DraronDraron Member Posts: 993
    Originally posted by gobla
    Originally posted by Karteli

-- I guess you get 5 free deaths, where you can easily resurrect.  After that .. umm back to the fleet to res?

What? No.

Have you ever played SWtOR?

Was thinking the same thing. No idea where the return to fleet thing came from.

Originally posted by darkrain21
    it also seems like they arnt offering anything to those who bought the game back at launch. 

Cartel Coins. You get some for every month you've been subbed up before F2P launch, more if you bought the Digital Deluxe or Collectors Edition. 

• leojreimrocleojreimroc Member UncommonPosts: 371
    Originally posted by xalvi
    Originally posted by leojreimroc

I was really happy to see this game go f2p.  I was anxiously waiting to return.  But now, after seeing this, I probably won't.  I'll probably level a few alts or something, just to see the other stories that I missed, but I certainly will not pay to access warzones and flashpoints every single week.  No thanks.  I only ever play f2p games if it's a 1 time purchase type of deal, as in you buy  permanent access to dungeons or pvp areas.  I will certainly skip the endgame for this one. 

To the poster above me:  I actually think that Turbine's model is great.  They have a few hickups for sure.  But most of everything that you would want can be bought by playing.  Except pvp, which is my only gripe atm.  But other than that, I like the system a lot.

You said it yourself. Everything is on the store, how could someone justify that by saying it could be earned by playing as well. Why would someone get the top notch item by doing nothing but take out the credit card rather to someone who actually tried to play and raids. The whole concept of a store like Turbines is just bad. 

Pretty much its either Grind or Store. 

What top notch item are you talking about?

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Draron

-- I guess you get 5 free deaths, where you can easily resurrect.  After that .. umm back to the fleet to res?

What? No.

How passively agreeing of you.

Is it really necessary to accuse someone of not playing a game just because they don't agree completely with you?  In it's shorthand notation I interpreted it to mean 5 resurrections to med center and field.  I can also see it another way of 5 total field resurrections before real money needs to change hands.

Apparently subscribers also had the same interpretation as me, but I guess they post on the official forums as well without having ever played the game:

Official SWTOR forum thread:

The death options for F2P should be removed.

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=544987

In the F2P matrix it shows that you can only die and respawn 5 times on the field and at the nearest field medic. This should be removed or cleared up, most the F2P matrix is nice, but the death option should be removed this will not help new players to SWTOR or anyone for the matter. I am saying this because even as a subscriber death is a pain, but for a new person to SWTOR this will become a problem in the future and detour a lot of potential players to the game.

or:

Subscribers have to use cartel coins to equip purple gear?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5288585&postcount=29

I do have a question though, for the F2P, using cartel coins, since the hover text is pretty ambiguous:

"Revive a TOTAL of 5 times in the field, Unlock additional field revive with cartel coins."

Is this 5 time limit for the whole account? 5 times total per character, or 5 times per day? Or do you pay once to unlock a "Medcenter death pass" kinda thing. I'm kinda curious, there are many new players (also inexperienced subscribers) who bum rush SD-0 on Courscant and get floored multiple times. Sometimes it takes a few in game deaths to formulate a new strategy to finish content.

If it's not a "Death Pass", Is a micro transaction of cartel coins REQUIRED to continue playing your character after 5 deaths, or do you have to re-roll?

Anyways I updated the OP, to give EA the benefit of the doubt.  There will be just 5 field resses total for "F2P" folks, then they will cost real $$ for each field res after that.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• DraronDraron Member Posts: 993

Apparently subscribers also had the same interpretation as me, but I guess they post on the official forums as well without having ever played the game:

In the F2P matrix it shows that you can only die and respawn 5 times on the field and at the nearest field medic. This should be removed or cleared up, most the F2P matrix is nice, but the death option should be removed this will not help new players to SWTOR or anyone for the matter. I am saying this because even as a subscriber death is a pain, but for a new person to SWTOR this will become a problem in the future and detour a lot of potential players to the game.

Notice most every post after the OP in that thread either confirms for infinite med center revives or just jokes at the TC. It was clearly just a small minority that thought that.

No benefit of the doubt needs to be given, either. Read the tooltip on the features page. Revive at the med-center or up to 5 times in the field with the ability to purchase more field unlocks, not either or.

I never said you didn't play the game btw, but can't deny thinking that after reading your thoughts on the death mechanic and your fleet revival speculation.

Notice most every post after the OP in that thread either confirms for infinite med center revives or just jokes at the TC. It was clearly just a small minority that thought that.

No benefit of the doubt needs to be given, either. Read the tooltip on the features page. Revive at the med-center or up to 5 times in the field with the ability to purchase more field unlocks, not either or.

I never said you didn't play the game btw, but can't deny thinking that after reading your thoughts on the death mechanic and your fleet revival speculation.

Whatever.  It really doesn't add to any arguments what other posters responded with.  The idea which you clearly missed was that other people interpretted the tooltip differently than you, enough so that they felt the need to post about it.

Your statements about what you were actually thinking do not reflect well in your earlier posts.

• RoxtarrRoxtarr Member CommonPosts: 1,122
    It all comes down to this: how many obscructions are created in-game by the cash shop/premium service options.  Can a player truly play the game without significant barriers or not.  I have a freeling that a player might run into a lot of messages reminding them of all the stuff they can't do.  There is no problem with giving players opportunities to spend money (see GW2) but if it's intrusive and 'in your face' all the time, it becomes a nuisance and a gamer never feels like they actually get to play the game without paying.  It's nothing more than a glorified free trial in that case.  I hope it's not.

If in 1982 we played with the current mentality, we would have burned down all the pac man games since the red ghost was clearly OP. Instead we just got better at the game.

• observerobserver Member RarePosts: 3,685
    It would have been better if they went B2P with Cartel Shop.
  • tiefighter25tiefighter25 Member Posts: 937

I don't understand.  If they were serious about FTP, why would they cut the legs out of the potentially largest moneymaker PVP.

Watch this new commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYSR0bdWKPg&feature=player_embedded

and then in your best announcer voice say, "Up to three free games a week."

I notice that the monetization analyst position was very recently finally filled. Perhaps just a bit too late.

• marganculosmarganculos Member UncommonPosts: 334

fail F2P model >.<

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    i see this game going the way of vanguard and soe for being way to greedy. If you really want to build subs in a freemium game you have to balance out allowing players to do things together ,especially if your game is losing subs monthly. This is way to restrictive and no one in their right mind is going to fork out money just to play in some pvp matches and go into operations. I can already see this game getting destroyed once again on sites when this goes live. Oh well EA just will never learn nor BIOWARE. Its funny though they continue to make DAOC and WAR have only subs but make this game freemium. If any games should also be freemium i think DAOC and WAR should make the list as well.
  • SeariasSearias Member UncommonPosts: 743
    This is why I don't really like the F2P model :). I'll stick to subbing :P.

<InvalidTag type="text/javascript" src="http://www.gamebreaker.tv/cce/e.js"></script><div class="cce_pane" content-slug="which-world-of-warcraft-villain-are-you" ctype="quiz" d="http://www.gamebreaker.tv"></div>;

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022

Their f2p is the most restrictive I ever seen, even more so than soe's restrictions.  This tells me they really don't want folks playing the fremium, they put a lot of raodblocks in place to force you to either unlock or to sub.

Them trying to force me to resub to get the cartell coins is not going to happen, I got a fealing a lot of folks are goign to feel that way.

• iceashiceash Member Posts: 21

Now it's gone F2P I am going to have a look again to see the changes but and it's a big BUT... the model they have chosen to adopt i can't see me spending any money, if they had decided to open up the game as a true F2P with a cash shop that offered costumes/speeders/pet's special coloured crystals etc then i would have dropped money into the shop, if you then added a really decent incentive to go sub, let's say new content/ loyalty sub rewards (Special alien race,speeder,costume) decent cartel coins to spend in shop etc then it offers a way to see the game for free with a good incentive to upgrade.

Atm the way it is set up i will probably see the story of the other classes and leave it at that.  Pity as i enjoyed my time to a certain extent when i was there just felt there were too many issues to continue subscribing.

• goblagobla Member UncommonPosts: 1,412

What? No.

How passively agreeing of you.

Is it really necessary to accuse someone of not playing a game just because they don't agree completely with you?  In it's shorthand notation I interpreted it to mean 5 resurrections to med center and field.  I can also see it another way of 5 total field resurrections before real money needs to change hands.

or:

Subscribers have to use cartel coins to equip purple gear?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showpost.php?p=5288585&postcount=29

I do have a question though, for the F2P, using cartel coins, since the hover text is pretty ambiguous:

"Revive a TOTAL of 5 times in the field, Unlock additional field revive with cartel coins."

Is this 5 time limit for the whole account? 5 times total per character, or 5 times per day? Or do you pay once to unlock a "Medcenter death pass" kinda thing. I'm kinda curious, there are many new players (also inexperienced subscribers) who bum rush SD-0 on Courscant and get floored multiple times. Sometimes it takes a few in game deaths to formulate a new strategy to finish content.

If it's not a "Death Pass", Is a micro transaction of cartel coins REQUIRED to continue playing your character after 5 deaths, or do you have to re-roll?

Anyways I updated the OP, to give EA the benefit of the doubt.  There will be just 5 field resses total for "F2P" folks, then they will cost real $$ for each field res after that.

Wait? What?

It's an insult to doubt someone played a certain game? "I don't think you ever played EQ2!" "Oooh! BURN!"?

I simply asked because, having played the game, the two different options of resurrection presented make, to me, the meaning of that restriction perfectly clear.

I posed the question before explaining the game mechanic to indicate the explanation was intended for those who hadn't played the game and as such were unaware of it, as you seemed to be.

We are the bunny.
    Resistance is futile.
    ''/\/\'''''/\/\''''''/\/\
    ( o.o) ( o.o) ( o.o)
    (")("),,(")("),(")(")

• superniceguysuperniceguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,278
    Originally posted by cronius77
    i see this game going the way of vanguard and soe for being way to greedy. If you really want to build subs in a freemium game you have to balance out allowing players to do things together ,especially if your game is losing subs monthly. This is way to restrictive and no one in their right mind is going to fork out money just to play in some pvp matches and go into operations. I can already see this game getting destroyed once again on sites when this goes live. Oh well EA just will never learn nor BIOWARE. Its funny though they continue to make DAOC and WAR have only subs but make this game freemium. If any games should also be freemium i think DAOC and WAR should make the list as well.

DAOC and WAR have not gone F2P as they do not need 500K subs to remain profitable.

F2P for SWTOR is a last ditch desperate attempt to save the sinking ship.

If F2P fails to get them  their required 500K subs it will follow the success of City of Heroes F2P

SWTOR could end up getting 10 million people playing, but if no one is willing to spend any money, totalling the equivalent of about 500K subs then it will not survive.

After it goes F2P, I think current subbers will either quit out of disgust or move to the F2P option and use their accumulated cartel coins with a small handful still subbing and spending in the store, and new players will just play with minimal payment

The game will probably get as packed as it did at launch, and then die off the same by mid 2013.

• odinsrathodinsrath Member UncommonPosts: 814

just as i thought..they are some how going to GET YOU ...even the sub-fee isnt worth even looking at..FAILSAUCE

• Joseph_KerrJoseph_Kerr Member RarePosts: 1,113
    Looks like a final cash-grab before they shut it down, I think EA wants to forget about SWTOR and a sure way of doing that is making it inaccessible to everyone so no on will want to play and they can shut it down for good, but not before one final cash-grab.
  • MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

90% of the playerbase rage quited the remaining 10% will do so in a few months.

[mod edit]

They are realy pushing it wth :D ?

Originally posted by tiefighter25

I don't understand.  If they were serious about FTP, why would they cut the legs out of the potentially largest moneymaker PVP.

Watch this new commercial:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WYSR0bdWKPg&feature=player_embedded

and then in your best announcer voice say, "Up to three free games a week."

I notice that the monetization analyst position was very recently finally filled. Perhaps just a bit too late.

The new monetization analyst will make a nice scapegoat though when the new freemium system doesn't retain players either.=)

• AhnogAhnog Member UncommonPosts: 240
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Originally posted by snapfusion
    I want to make sure IM reading this right, even with a sub you have purchase something from their cash shop in order to equip some in game purple items?

That's exactly what they're saying, yes.

LOL

This game is going to burn faster and harder than it has already.

This is an error. If you look on the website is says that subscription players have full access when it comes to equiping themselves.

Ahnog

Hokey religions are no replacement for a good blaster at your side.

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

This video is a preview of F2P - uploaded today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UUX766DvSyU

Snapshot of cartel shop from video

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• aesperusaesperus Member UncommonPosts: 5,135
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Oh god,.... wow.

Maybe it's just me, but what i got outa that F2P video was 'Subscribe. Please re-subscribe. If you subscribe we'll give you a bunch of super awesomesauce fun novelty items that we'll tell you about later!'

I think they spent more time talking about the subscription features in that F2P video, than they did actually talking about the F2P options. Which I suppose is understandable, as there are almost no options for F2P players.

This is going to be such a trainwreck, wow.

• loulakiloulaki Member UncommonPosts: 944
    i expected to give a try after the betas, but this is a joke .

• ChaulsinNLChaulsinNL Member UncommonPosts: 182
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61

Snapshot of cartel shop from video

If the 16000 cartel coins the video has in it's purse is anything to go by, my free 1400 coins aren't going to carry me very far lol.