Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Citizen: Chris Roberts on the Final Frontier

2»

Comments

• reanorreanor Member UncommonPosts: 441

Its NOT an MMO game. More like SP game with multiplayer + Open Universe hosted by RSI.

Its more like Freelancer - single player campaign called - "Squadron 42". Star Citizen is the name of the whole project that will include Single Campaign. After you are done with Squadron 42, you can go play multiplayer, or even go without playing Squadron 42. Its simply a single player campaign for people who like it. There will be multiplayer servers aka FPS maps that you can join and play similar to Freelancer private moddable servers. There will also be a central online world hosted by RSI where players can be together. There will be 'military conflicts' that players can engage against each other. Those MCs will be like 64 people deathmatch maps for example in CoD except that you will fly your ships against each other.

• TaoniteTaonite Member Posts: 6
    Originally posted by gordiflu

Don't get me wrong, I want this game to succeed and to be awesome. I am still playing Freelancer.

But after so many disappointments with the gaming industry, I can only remind those who insist on the "it's Mr. Roberts" argument about Mr. Gariott and Tabula Rasa. Let's not overhype this game. It's still one year for Alpha and two for Beta, this if things go as scheduled (which hardly ever happens).

Oh but Garriott got royally screwed in that deal. Tabula Rasa could have been a great game. I enjoyed every minute of it when I played.

Information on Tabula Rasa taken from Wikipedia:

In the works since May 2001, the game underwent a major revamp two years into the project. Conflicts between developers and the vague direction of the game were said to be the causes of this dramatic change. Twenty percent of the original team was replaced, and 75% of the code had to be redone. Some staff working on other NCsoft projects were transferred to the Tabula Rasa development team, including City of Heroes' Community Coordinator. April "CuppaJo" Burba. First re-shown at E3 2005, the game then transformed into the current science fiction setting and look. On Nov 11th 2008, an open letter to the players of Tabula Rasa stated that Richard Garriott has left NC Soft to pursue other ventures. On Dec 9th 2008, a letter was sent by NCsoft stating that all Tabula Rasa servers will be shut down on February 28, 2009, and that Tabula Rasa would be discontinued.

Richard Garriott's announcement that he was leaving NCAustin and Tabula Rasa in an open letter was in fact written by NCsoft as a means of forcing him out. The announcement was made while Garriott was in quarantine after returning from his spaceflight in October, and the announcement claimed he was inspired by the space travel experience to pursue other interests.

Tabula Rasa's Development Team on 21 November 2008, weeks after "Richard's announcement", also released an open letter that the game would end public service on 28 February 2009, citing a lower than expected in-game population as the major factor for the decision. Developers also announced that any active paying player as of 10:00 AM Pacific Time on November 21, 2008 will be eligible for some rewards, including paid time on other NCsoft titles (any paying subscribers joining after that point are ineligible). On 27 February 2009, a message posted on the official website requested that players participate in a final assault, culminating with mutual destruction of AFS and Bane forces.

Richard Garriott sued NCsoft for $24,000,000 USD. Garriott sued for damages relative to his termination from the parent company NCsoft. Garriott's allegation states that NC Soft terminated his employment, then fraudulently reported his termination as willful resignation in order to preserve the right to terminate Garriot's stock options unless he exercised them himself within 90 days of termination, forcing Garriott into a decision to purchase stock with which a loss was incurred worth dozens of millions in profit for Mr. Garriott. Additionally, the news of the termination was issued while Mr. Garriott was confined to quarantine from the space flight, which was originally intended to be a publicity move to further promote the game and increase revenue. In July 2010, an Austin District Court awarded Garriott US$28 million in his lawsuit against NCsoft, finding that the company did not appropriately handle his departure in 2008. NCsoft stated that it intended to appeal the decision.

Haha, so needless to say, I don't support NCSoft at all anymore either. NCSoft, EA, LA... business may be business, but if you want MY money you better treat the people that throw the money at you, or supply you with the product to make you that money, with a little more respect.

And that is why Mr. Roberts will get my money - as long as he's not bought out by anyone that's going to change his vision.

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Nikopol
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Granted, any past good work doesn't necessarily mean that person will nail it every time, but... To me it's ultimately the best thing to go on when it comes to crowdfunding - along with, of course, whether or not it's the sort of project you're interested in at all.

There are some designers from back when that I hold in high esteem. Yep, the Obsidian folks (mainly Cain and Avellone) are among them, thanks to stuff like Fallout, Arcanum and Planescape: Torment, so I've supported them without hesitation. Yep, Tom Hall is among them, thanks to his id Software stuff and of course Anachronox, so I'm supporting his "old school RPG" project with Brenda Brathwaite (It's called "Shaker", any old school RPG fan who hasn't heard about it might check its Kickstarter page, looks like it's going to need all the support it can get). I missed the Jane Jensen adventure games project, but if I'd heard about it, I'd have supported it, too.

And yeah, Chris is definitely one of those people, so I'll support him.

Might all these games turn out to really suck? Sure. But I feel grateful to these people for having made games that I've really enjoyed, and on occasion, even been touched by.

So I see it more as "paying a debt" than an investment. :)

I look at it kind of the same way. I know nothing is guaranteed, including the success of this effort. That said Chris Roberts has provided me with hours upon hours of entertainment in the past. It makes more sense to chip in on this project he has outlined and for which I know a publisher can't hack up than to buy a new game off the shelf from a developer I have never heard of and it being their first time effort.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by gordiflu
    Originally posted by Apraxis
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    Informative article. All I got from the initial hype was: Freelancer/Privateer + Engine. Ppl have been crying out for this sort of game.

Yep, Mumbo, they have. And no matter how sarcastic and naysaying some people are as we've seen in this thread, it certainly has a chance of happening. They still have over 20+ days to go to raise funds. As an example Project Eternity is nearing the 4.0million mark (3.85) with just over an hour left to go. It can happen.

(talking in general now) Why does the PE KS have anyhting to do with this? Well, I understand some folks have been living under a rock or came into computer gaming after Chris took his hiatus, but Chris Roberts created Wing Commander, Freespace and Freelancer. If you haven't played any of those games, your loss. Roberts has the same amount of credibility as the Obsidian Entertainment team doing Project Eternity.

They are only 5 or so days into fund raising, It'll take a little time to get the word out to all of the people who have bought Chris Robert's games in the past. Word will get out, too.

Know this: anyone naysaying just verifies they don't know who Chris is and what he is in the realm of PC game making. It's be like stepping onto an NFL field or a soccer field and telling Ray Lewis and Lionel Messi (respectively) you suck.

Chris has shipped multiple good award winning games. Google him if you don't believe me. This is one of those crowd funding projects where you know, if you know gaming history, you will get a good to great product.

Absolutely. IF someone can make EvE on steroids with actual Action Combat(Wing Commander) it will be Chris Roberts.. and we all have to buy a new computer(and we will), because he will go as usual to the limits.

FINALLY.. i guess i have waited since WC1/Elite/Privateer for a game like that.

And about the 5 million. I have no doubt he will get that money.. and a lot more. Just mark my words.

PS/Edit: Another sidenote. Chris Roberts will push the limits of the nowadays technology. And that means, that not everyone with a dated computer and/or not capable bandwidth will be able to play this. But it also means, that we will see things in a MMO we have never seen before. And therefore it is a good thing to be crowd funded, because almost no publisher will tolerate that.. with Wing Commander and Origin back then it was possible.. and just the absolute High End Machine of that time could run that. And it was stunning at that time.. and it took literally years to saw something similar from an other developer/game.

And i am really curious how much he can push it, how much we will see with that. And i say it again, if someone is capable and crazy enough to try something like that it is Chris Roberts.

Don't get me wrong, I want this game to succeed and to be awesome. I am still playing Freelancer.

But after so many disappointments with the gaming industry, I can only remind those who insist on the "it's Mr. Roberts" argument about Mr. Gariott and Tabula Rasa. Let's not overhype this game. It's still one year for Alpha and two for Beta, this if things go as scheduled (which hardly ever happens).

Sure. Always explore all angles of something you are getting into. That said I wouldn't compare Garriot to Chris. Two different men. One (Garriott) is worried about his next trip to space and how making games for the "social media market" while the other (Roberts) is damn determined to show PC gaming isn't dying yet instead is as strong as ever. That and Garriott, from what I understand, isn't too hands on actually making games these days. He just lends his name. Roberts still writes code and gets his hands in the 0's and 1's.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• woodard2040woodard2040 Member Posts: 20
    @Ingvar @pyuk @JKwervo they have a FAQ on the site, but basically it's gonna be like Call of Duty. Single Player Campaign, Smaller Multiplayer Servers. He's even allowing Mods to be implemented and given their quality, they could become a permanent part of the game. His plan is to update all the "worlds" I.e servers over the Internet so that they can maintain a persistant universe. It's gonna be an awesome game despite some of the hate on here.
  • TyrianPrimeTyrianPrime Member UncommonPosts: 107
    Originally posted by JeroKane
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    Is this an mmo?

Not exactly. It goes beyond that.

- It will have Offline Single Player Campain. (Single Player part)

- It will have ability to create Private Servers (Online / LAN Multiplayer part)

- It will have Public Servers with persistent world that will be expanded upon via updates, cashshop, etc. (MMO part)

This! Hopefully the GrandMaster will evolve the genre once more!

Fully supporting STAR CITIZEN by the Legendary Grandmaster of the Space Game Genre, Chris Roberts.For Captain Eisen's memory.....For Squadron 42...For the Space Genre....For the PC....I pledge!
    Star Citizen
    TOG Star Citizen-Join Us

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

I realy hope this legend can pull it off.

I am so tired of fantasy failures.....

Eve online is the next best thing ever but you can be bored quickly even tough its the one and only real space sim mmo on the market.

Mister Roberts make it happen !!!

• icospawnicospawn Member UncommonPosts: 4
    no its like black prophecy befor it was shut down due to lack of social capablity :/ and partying. 
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Eve is not the one and only real space sim mmo on the market; Vendetta Online has been out for longer, and imo does most things better. It's also made by a 4-man indie dev team on a shoestring budget.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• carebear77carebear77 Member Posts: 86
    Raised: $9,548,338
  • DocBrodyDocBrody Member UncommonPosts: 1,926
    Originally posted by carebear77
    Raised: $9,548,338

only 450K more and they'll get their own mocap studio. Nice!

• smartpatrolsmartpatrol Member Posts: 9
    A game like this needs a true exploration experience via dynamically created star systems not unlike how minecraft generates an infinite world they need to add infinite universe. I wan to be able to travel to a uncharted star system and map its planets maybe name a few then exploit its resources or help colonize a planet.
  • ThomasN7ThomasN7 87.18.7.148Member CommonPosts: 6,690
    Can't wait to play this game. I think it will be amazing.
  • tbris84tbris84 Member UncommonPosts: 5
    Originally posted by Jojin
    Is this an mmo?

It could be, but only if they reach their goal of 5 Million + in support.  Then 2.5 years from that point or later it will strive to be developed into a MMO.

its only about 900k if its 2m goal, so god luck with that

Wish me luck Ingvar! They're almost upto $40million. I just bought some lottery tickets, wish me luck so I too can win!