Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Interview] Star Citizen: Chris Roberts on the Final Frontier

SBFordSBFord Former Associate EditorMember LegendaryPosts: 33,129

Last week, Chris Roberts came out swinging with his blockbuster announcement of Star Citizen. We managed to catch up with Chris at GDC Online last week to talk about the game and much more. Keep reading!

While GDC Online may have seemed quiet to some, it was not quiet for Chris Roberts. Chris is a game design legend known mostly for Wing Commander, a very popular game in the late 1990s which many view as one of the top space combat games of all time. After much success Chris moved on to films for a while and got out of the game busthewariness. However, he confessed to us that he has never stopped playing video games on a daily basis. Now years later, Roberts is re-entering the galaxy with Star Citizen, an in-depth galactic world with ships, space stations, single player options, and massive online battles.  The game offers a lot to players and the opening cinematics we saw at the show are breathtaking. We got the chance to talk to Chris at GDC Online and were extremely impressed with what we saw of the game. 

Read more of Garrett Fuller's Star Citizen: Chris Roberts on the Final Frontier.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯ 

Comments

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Is this an mmo?
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762
    Yes.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• erictlewiserictlewis Member UncommonPosts: 3,022
    I already paid for 125 lancer package that is faith in what I kknow they done in the past.
  • JKwervoJKwervo Member Posts: 126
    So....its like EvE?
  • JojinJojin Member UncommonPosts: 120
    Originally posted by Ingvar
    Is this an mmo?

It could be, but only if they reach their goal of 5 Million + in support.  Then 2.5 years from that point or later it will strive to be developed into a MMO.

• ScivaSciva Member UncommonPosts: 298
    Originally posted by JKwervo
    So....its like EvE?

Think freelancer, wing commander and privateer.

• IngvarIngvar Member UncommonPosts: 193
    Originally posted by Jojin
    Is this an mmo?

It could be, but only if they reach their goal of 5 Million + in support.  Then 2.5 years from that point or later it will strive to be developed into a MMO.

its only about 900k if its 2m goal, so god luck with that

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363

Dreams finally come true.. AMAZING.

Most exciting upcoming MMO besides WoD!!

I got 2 packages and supported the project with 250 $, go Chris you can do it again !!!!

If I win the lottery in the next two-three weeks I´ll join as investor :D

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by OG_Zorvan
    Is this an mmo?

No. It isn't anything. It doesn't exist outside of some mock-up screens and some Kickstarter begging lists.

How about you make a content demonstration "mock up" like this out of "nothing"?

btw Crowdfunding and direct distribution business models have become common for games, in case you have been living under a rock during since last year -- I just wanted to let you know, so you learn something before you trash talk again.

• MumboJumboMumboJumbo Member UncommonPosts: 3,219
    Informative article. All I got from the initial hype was: Freelancer/Privateer + Engine. Ppl have been crying out for this sort of game.
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by MumboJumbo
    Informative article. All I got from the initial hype was: Freelancer/Privateer + Engine. Ppl have been crying out for this sort of game.

Yep, Mumbo, they have. And no matter how sarcastic and naysaying some people are as we've seen in this thread, it certainly has a chance of happening. They still have over 20+ days to go to raise funds. As an example Project Eternity is nearing the 4.0million mark (3.85) with just over an hour left to go. It can happen.

(talking in general now) Why does the PE KS have anyhting to do with this? Well, I understand some folks have been living under a rock or came into computer gaming after Chris took his hiatus, but Chris Roberts created Wing Commander, Freespace and Freelancer. If you haven't played any of those games, your loss. Roberts has the same amount of credibility as the Obsidian Entertainment team doing Project Eternity.

They are only 5 or so days into fund raising, It'll take a little time to get the word out to all of the people who have bought Chris Robert's games in the past. Word will get out, too.

Know this: anyone naysaying just verifies they don't know who Chris is and what he is in the realm of PC game making. It's be like stepping onto an NFL field or a soccer field and telling Ray Lewis and Lionel Messi (respectively) you suck.

Chris has shipped multiple good award winning games. Google him if you don't believe me. This is one of those crowd funding projects where you know, if you know gaming history, you will get a good to great product.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• jmcdermottukjmcdermottuk Member RarePosts: 1,571
    Looks pretty awesome tbh. Played the Wing Commander games and Freelancer and they were excellent for their time. This ones is definately going on my watch list. It's actually nice to see someone who's making a true PC game, rather than yet another shitty port of a dumbed down console game.
  • JedicowboyJedicowboy Member UncommonPosts: 140
    so let me get this straight, this IS a MMO????  What classes or professions are there?  I only heard military and merchant and explorer????
  • KhalathwyrKhalathwyr Member UncommonPosts: 3,133
    Originally posted by Vlhad7734
    so let me get this straight, this IS a MMO????  What classes or professions are there?  I only heard military and merchant and explorer????

There are no classes or profession as how you thik of them in typical themepark fashion.

You are a pilot of a spaceship. You either start off on the Squadron 42 single player experience which is military or (if they raise 5 million and it THEN goes mmo) you start right off as a civilian pilot. There will be a host of skills you can choose to advance through play. The titles you heard (Soldier, Explorer, Merchant, etc.) at this point best reflect the types of actions you can take, not defining a class per se.

"Many nights, my friend... Many nights I've put a blade to your throat while you were sleeping. Glad I never killed you, Steve. You're alright..."

Chavez y Chavez

• bakabrödbakabröd Member Posts: 129
    looks like it whould tear my computor apart. but nice.
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by Yakamomoto

Dreams finally come true.. AMAZING.

They did not, game is not released yet. It is still a dream...

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Is this an mmo?

No. It isn't anything. It doesn't exist outside of some mock-up screens and some Kickstarter begging lists.

How about you make a content demonstration "mock up" like this out of "nothing"?

btw Crowdfunding and direct distribution business models have become common for games, in case you have been living under a rock during since last year -- I just wanted to let you know, so you learn something before you trash talk again.

I already learned the most important lesson a long time ago. There's a sucker born every minute.

Lol.. try harder Zor.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518
    Originally posted by Khalathwyr

Yep, Mumbo, they have. And no matter how sarcastic and naysaying some people are as we've seen in this thread, it certainly has a chance of happening. They still have over 20+ days to go to raise funds. As an example Project Eternity is nearing the 4.0million mark (3.85) with just over an hour left to go. It can happen.

(talking in general now) Why does the PE KS have anyhting to do with this? Well, I understand some folks have been living under a rock or came into computer gaming after Chris took his hiatus, but Chris Roberts created Wing Commander, Freespace and Freelancer. If you haven't played any of those games, your loss. Roberts has the same amount of credibility as the Obsidian Entertainment team doing Project Eternity.

They are only 5 or so days into fund raising, It'll take a little time to get the word out to all of the people who have bought Chris Robert's games in the past. Word will get out, too.

Know this: anyone naysaying just verifies they don't know who Chris is and what he is in the realm of PC game making. It's be like stepping onto an NFL field or a soccer field and telling Ray Lewis and Lionel Messi (respectively) you suck.

Chris has shipped multiple good award winning games. Google him if you don't believe me. This is one of those crowd funding projects where you know, if you know gaming history, you will get a good to great product.

Absolutely. IF someone can make EvE on steroids with actual Action Combat(Wing Commander) it will be Chris Roberts.. and we all have to buy a new computer(and we will), because he will go as usual to the limits.

FINALLY.. i guess i have waited since WC1/Elite/Privateer for a game like that.

And about the 5 million. I have no doubt he will get that money.. and a lot more. Just mark my words.

PS/Edit: Another sidenote. Chris Roberts will push the limits of the nowadays technology. And that means, that not everyone with a dated computer and/or not capable bandwidth will be able to play this. But it also means, that we will see things in a MMO we have never seen before. And therefore it is a good thing to be crowd funded, because almost no publisher will tolerate that.. with Wing Commander and Origin back then it was possible.. and just the absolute High End Machine of that time could run that. And it was stunning at that time.. and it took literally years to saw something similar from an other developer/game.

And i am really curious how much he can push it, how much we will see with that. And i say it again, if someone is capable and crazy enough to try something like that it is Chris Roberts.

• JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965
    Is this an mmo?

Not exactly. It goes beyond that.

- It will have Offline Single Player Campain. (Single Player part)

- It will have ability to create Private Servers (Online / LAN Multiplayer part)

- It will have Public Servers with persistent world that will be expanded upon via updates, cashshop, etc. (MMO part)

• NikopolNikopol Member UncommonPosts: 626

Granted, any past good work doesn't necessarily mean that person will nail it every time, but... To me it's ultimately the best thing to go on when it comes to crowdfunding - along with, of course, whether or not it's the sort of project you're interested in at all.

There are some designers from back when that I hold in high esteem. Yep, the Obsidian folks (mainly Cain and Avellone) are among them, thanks to stuff like Fallout, Arcanum and Planescape: Torment, so I've supported them without hesitation. Yep, Tom Hall is among them, thanks to his id Software stuff and of course Anachronox, so I'm supporting his "old school RPG" project with Brenda Brathwaite (It's called "Shaker", any old school RPG fan who hasn't heard about it might check its Kickstarter page, looks like it's going to need all the support it can get). I missed the Jane Jensen adventure games project, but if I'd heard about it, I'd have supported it, too.

And yeah, Chris is definitely one of those people, so I'll support him.

Might all these games turn out to really suck? Sure. But I feel grateful to these people for having made games that I've really enjoyed, and on occasion, even been touched by.

So I see it more as "paying a debt" than an investment. :)

• logan400klogan400k Member UncommonPosts: 68

This is definitely an ambitious project and even with CR attached, I wonder if he has bit off more than he can chew. However, all the tech is there an available and I think it can be pulled off with the right  team. I will stop short of saying this is revolutionary but I will say that it is about damn time, lol.

Now to those who I see consistently attacking crowd funding projects. I think your stance is interesting, more so because why do you care how I spend my entertainment budget? Yes I know, your response will be "I' don't" but that isn't true at all. In fact you do care how I spend my money, that is quite obvious. What is your stake in that? Are you hoping that if I and others continue to throw our limited funds at the brobdingnagian mega corp projects they will improve? The reality is that they don't. Its akin to constantly going to the franchice like Chinese or Mexican restaurant that has the same menu as ten others in the area, instead of trying out the new and unique place down the street. I would rather try the unique place even if it fails, my money is better spent encouraging evolution then padding the pockets of mega entertainment and their re-tread design teams, even if the evollution falls flat on its face. I am voting with my money, which is the only way the consumer can affect the quality of product.

Just My 2 Lunars

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Originally posted by logan400k

I think your stance is interesting, more so because why do you care how I spend my entertainment budget? Yes I know, your response will be "I' don't" but that isn't true at all.

It is true - no one cares about how you spend your money. People care about principles though.

Crowd-funding is currently a legal way how to scam people.

If it is supposed to be a valid funding method, it needs to bear same regulations and obligations like all other funding methods do.

• Cruis.InCruis.In Member Posts: 16
    pledged! The average pledge is 90 per person btw.

For what does it profit a man that he gain the whole world, but loseth his soul?

• Cruis.InCruis.In Member Posts: 16
    as for scamming, chris roberts is no scammer.

For what does it profit a man that he gain the whole world, but loseth his soul?

• gordiflugordiflu Member UncommonPosts: 757
    Originally posted by Apraxis

Absolutely. IF someone can make EvE on steroids with actual Action Combat(Wing Commander) it will be Chris Roberts.. and we all have to buy a new computer(and we will), because he will go as usual to the limits.

FINALLY.. i guess i have waited since WC1/Elite/Privateer for a game like that.

And about the 5 million. I have no doubt he will get that money.. and a lot more. Just mark my words.

PS/Edit: Another sidenote. Chris Roberts will push the limits of the nowadays technology. And that means, that not everyone with a dated computer and/or not capable bandwidth will be able to play this. But it also means, that we will see things in a MMO we have never seen before. And therefore it is a good thing to be crowd funded, because almost no publisher will tolerate that.. with Wing Commander and Origin back then it was possible.. and just the absolute High End Machine of that time could run that. And it was stunning at that time.. and it took literally years to saw something similar from an other developer/game.

And i am really curious how much he can push it, how much we will see with that. And i say it again, if someone is capable and crazy enough to try something like that it is Chris Roberts.

Don't get me wrong, I want this game to succeed and to be awesome. I am still playing Freelancer.

But after so many disappointments with the gaming industry, I can only remind those who insist on the "it's Mr. Roberts" argument about Mr. Gariott and Tabula Rasa. Let's not overhype this game. It's still one year for Alpha and two for Beta, this if things go as scheduled (which hardly ever happens).