Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Since 2005 till today, is there a mmorpg better than GW2?

Comments

• EvilGeekEvilGeek Member UncommonPosts: 1,258

Never mind.

• AeliousAelious Member RarePosts: 3,521
    Response to OP:

Better at what?

I see different catagories in MMOs. For instance I see GW2 and EQ2 or VG as different games so deciding if it's "better" means "better for me". No, GW2 is not better than any game since 2005 but it is the best themepark game IMO. It is bested by games with more depth though but that comes down to playstyle.

Voted show me the goods because it's too vague and stinks of agenda.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Originally posted by Aelious
    Response to OP:

Better at what?

I see different catagories in MMOs. For instance I see GW2 and EQ2 or VG as different games so deciding if it's "better" means "better for me". No, GW2 is not better than any game since 2005 but it is the best themepark game IMO. It is bested by games with more depth though but that comes down to playstyle.

To you and the other person who like to say "agenda" a lot, I asked the exact same question about TSW after launch, copy past. As many know I think TSW is a great game. So what's the "agenda"? Are you on a crusade to find agendas?

"We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

This is very interesting, many posters in this thread says TSW is the most enjoyable yet TSW is one of the least selling MMORPGs to date, and alot of other posters says they enjoy SWTOR- almost everyone I know (in guild, friend or personally) are sick of SWTOR and has moved on, and you can't ignore the major exodus SWTOR suffered early on. Seems posters on MMORPG.com are exactly the opposite of what's really going on in the MMORPG world.

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Originally posted by bcbully
    Response to OP:

Better at what?

To you and the other person who like to say "agenda" a lot, I asked the exact same question about TSW after launch, copy past. As many know I think TSW is a great game. So what's the "agenda"? Are you on a crusade to find agendas?

What poll ever created didn't have an agenda? People want information to use it. So what? If OP wnats to take this info in a later thread and say, "X" percent of gamers don't think GW2 is the best game since 2005, so what? As long as the data gathered here is presented as objectively as it has been collected. It's not like the initial questions are slanted. They are about as objective as can be. I think people crying "agenda" just don't like what the results of the poll are showing. 

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

Originally posted by Xzen
    If I can't pick an mmorpg made before 2005 then GW2 wins best for me.MMORPGS that I think are/were better than GW2: EvE, UO, FFXI, Earth and Beyond
    UO was great, I'd enjoy EVE more if it wasn't time consuming. Haven't played FFXI or FFXIV. Enjoyable games for me were obviously UO back in the days, a bit of DAoC, SWG, City of Heroes and Tabula Rasa while it lasted. I was starting to lose faith in the MMO industry as there weren't many games I was interested in but GW2 was my savior, now to wait for the results of the Repopulation, Age of Wulin and ArchAge.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Eve is older than 2005 it predates wow
  • ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    Still think perpetuum is best mmo in that time frame, unfortunately nobody played it.
  • VhalnVhaln Member Posts: 3,159
    Originally posted by TeknoBug

This is very interesting, many posters in this thread says TSW is the most enjoyable yet TSW is one of the least selling MMORPGs to date, and alot of other posters says they enjoy SWTOR- almost everyone I know (in guild, friend or personally) are sick of SWTOR and has moved on, and you can't ignore the major exodus SWTOR suffered early on. Seems posters on MMORPG.com are exactly the opposite of what's really going on in the MMORPG world.

There is a big difference between what people think, and what motivates them to actually post.  Sometimes that motivation gives a very skewed picture, if people on the other side of the argument don't really care enough to comment.

edit: to use Perpetuum as an example.  Yeah, I tried it.  I just don't care enough about it to bash it.  That can make it seem like its more popular than it is, when the only people mentioning it, are the ones that do like it.

When I want a single-player story, I'll play a single-player game. When I play an MMO, I want a massively multiplayer world.

Poster on this site or any other forum for that matter comprise less than 1% of the actual population I imagine. Point being there are almost 200 specific people signed in and over 3k as guests yet most conversations at the most have 30 individual people posting.

Bcbully

I don't really care if you have an agenda or not.
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Response to OP:

Better at what?

What poll ever created didn't have an agenda? People want information to use it. So what? If OP wnats to take this info in a later thread and say, "X" percent of gamers don't think GW2 is the best game since 2005, so what? As long as the data gathered here is presented as objectively as it has been collected. It's not like the initial questions are slanted. They are about as objective as can be. I think people crying "agenda" just don't like what the results of the poll are showing. 

Yeah what he said o-(-.-)-o

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by grimal

Yes.  I think GW2 is a very fun game and I do like it a lot.

That being said, I don't think it's a great MMO.  It lacks too many core elements of what I believe makes a good RPG.  So, I'd more consider this game along the lines of something like D3.

If you really insist on calling it an MMO, I'd have to say it's one of the worst MMOs since as long as I can remember because of these same basic elements it has decided to rid itself of.

But as a game?  It's great.

This is exactly how I feel. GW2 is a good game.....not a good RPG or a good MMO.

Poster on this site or any other forum for that matter comprise less than 1% of the actual population I imagine. Point being there are almost 200 specific people signed in and over 3k as guests yet most conversations at the most have 30 individual people posting.

Bcbully

I don't really care if you have an agenda or not. I'm going to say you do!

Fixed that for you :p

Aelious- "Voted show me the goods because it's too vague and stinks of agenda."

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,002

Except you have to take it deeper. Not much deeper but the tendency on these forums is to see something and then apply their own desired conclusion based upon their own preferences.

In the first case, TSW is different from the mainstream wow type mmo. I would hazard a guess that this fact along with the idea that the IP is new as well as the fact that horror games tend not to sell as much sci-fi/fantasy counterparts and you start to get a better picture.

However, TSW requires a bit more from the player and this site tends to attract people who are more interested in games that have more than "see the x, run, kill y and then run back". A bit of an oversimplification but I've been on this site long enough to know that the average poster (not necessarily the people who just view this site) are more interested in any game that is not considered a standard themepark mmo.

As far as SWToR is concerned, did you ever think that you joined a guild that comprised more like minded people and that your friends might also share similiar tastes?

As much as the perceived general outcry of SWToR sucks I actually get that many people enjoyed it. Heck, I had no intention of playing the game but after trying it I loved it AND I don't play anymore.

why?

Because I got to the end of the story and that was that. There was no reason to continue and I didn't feel like running through the generic quests just to further the story of an alt. Perhaps that huge exodus includes people who liked the game but essentially "finished it".

I think if you look at things with an eye to "the why" as opposed to just a surface inspection you would get a more complete story.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916

I don't like any of the MMOs after 2005. WoW, EvE, EQ 1,2 all came before.

However, GW1 which came in 2005 was an amazing game. Much better than GW2 imo.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

No because FFXI came out in 2003.

Edit:  I'm still playing it, still the best MMO out there in my opinion.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by jondifool
    Originally posted by mmoDAD
    Is Guild Wars 2 really a MMO? I mean...  where's the exploration? Ultimately a gigantic scaled Battleground.

Now the absurdity of this statement, makes me lol. 

Found that amsuing as well. Gotta love people who havent even bothered to so much as read information about a game, let alone actually play it themselves.

Originally posted by RefMinor
    Perhaps the OP should have asked if any MMO has shifted the paradigm further in the last 7 years to show it was a thread for GW2 fans only. That way he might have had the result he was angling for.

Its OK to take the tinfoil hat off.

Clearly you're not familiar with bcbully, the OP. He actually posts quite a bit of negativity about GW2. But unlike your standard troll, he at least often presents some facts to try and back it up, or correct people when they are flat out wrong / lying about something.

Originally posted by ZigZags
    If you think GW2 is the best MMO then you clearly haven't been playing MMOs that long.

Reading FTW!

The title asks "SInce 2005", which is not very long. It didnt ask "is there a better MMORPG ever?"

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607

Originally posted by Xzen
    If I can't pick an mmorpg made before 2005 then GW2 wins best for me.

MMORPGS that I think are/were better than GW2: EvE, UO, FFXI, Earth and Beyond

UO was great, I'd enjoy EVE more if it wasn't time consuming. Haven't played FFXI or FFXIV. Enjoyable games for me were obviously UO back in the days, a bit of DAoC, SWG, City of Heroes and Tabula Rasa while it lasted. I was starting to lose faith in the MMO industry as there weren't many games I was interested in but GW2 was my savior, now to wait for the results of the Repopulation, Age of Wulin and ArchAge.

ArcheAge is the only thing I'm looking at trying anytime in the near future. I would also add that I think there are a lot of good mmorpgs that I just don't consider to be better than GW2. Like WoW, Rift, and SWTOR. Everyone is entitled to their own opinion of what the "best" is for them.

• VyntVynt Member UncommonPosts: 757

I liked TSW, but didn't buy it because I couldn't really get into the theme. I played a decent amount in beta, gave some feedback. I enjoyed it some, but I just couldn't connect with it.

A game could be the best one out there, but if it is a genre I don't like, probably not going to like the game much or play it for long.

I remember seeing a lot of people saying the liked it, but just couldn't get into it. I know I didn't like any of the 3 sides. The side I liked the most was Templar and they were my last choice. Dragon sounded interesting, but when I played it, could not relate at all. Ended up being I didn't care at all about my character, nor the story, just not my cup of tea.

Bcbully

What's your point? I can say I think something is there but not care if it is, right?

Since it hurt you so much that I think you have an agenda prove me wrong.  Why did you create this poll? Of what use is the results to you? Just curious? You could have looked at other polls for the information you need, right?

Edit: I will honestly take your response at face value and not reply.  Reason being it will derail this thread which was not my intention though my comments on "agenda" probably didn't help.

• fanglofanglo Member UncommonPosts: 314
    SInce I utterly hated GW2  this is easy, every MMO is better. Even the ones that died like tabula rasa.

I healed Mistwraith and all I got was this stupid tee-shirt!

• Laughing-manLaughing-man Member RarePosts: 3,654

Bcbully

What's your point? I can say I think something is there but not care if it is, right?

Since it hurt you so much that I think you have an agenda prove me wrong.  Why did you create this poll? Of what use is the results to you? Just curious? You could have looked at other polls for the information you need, right?

Edit: I will honestly take your response at face value and not reply.  Reason being it will derail this thread which was not my intention though my comments on "agenda" probably didn't help.

Why does it mater if he HAS an adjenda?  What could he possibly hope to gain?  

Why does it bother you so much he wants to discuss and rank mmos, it's pretty much THE POINT of this website.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Show me a thread in the pub that does not have an agenda lol

• azmundaiazmundai Member UncommonPosts: 1,419

I played Rift, and War much longer than I played GW2. I even played SWTOR longer than I played GW2 .. though that had mostly to do with the fact that a LOT of my friends are raving sw lunatics .. but I love em anyway. Even still Swtor was better in some ways because it had at least some community goals. GW2 is just too solo .. which is the same thing I felt about SWTOR. GW2 is worse in that respect imo. At least SWTOR had group content to do. It was crappy content .. but at least it was there. GW2 has a few dungeons and a ton of faceroll zergs .. not very fun.

I actually like the idea that everyone gets credit for everything .. but it also completely removes the need to actually socialize at all.

I know Rift has been talking about systems over content .. etc. Sounds like a smart idea, but what killed rift for me was the complete lack of replayability. Im not in favor of more 1-60 zones necessarily .. but some other way to progress I think it essential. I got 2 toons to 60 (or w/e cap is) and the second one was like pulling teeth. Was the most boring thing ive ever done. I quit because I had 2 fairly maxed toons and there was absolutely no way I was going to put myself through the hell of those boring quests again :| ... that and I absolutely hate LFDs.

Anyway .. im sufficiently OT now.

LFD tools are great for cramming people into content, but quality > quantity.
    I am, usually on the sandbox .. more "hardcore" side of things, but I also do just want to have fun. So lighten up already :)

I honestly don't care, another persons view of a specific game has 0 effect on how I enjoy it. I was initially calling in the general term "better" as being too vague and because he was the one posting it. He has had biased views of GW2 for as long as I can remember so I find it funny. The gain would be pretty obvious.

Again, I don't care if he has an agenda or not. I really don't and yes I know the exact purpose of this site.