Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

SOE is so bad. OR so that was the Narrative the past few years

2»

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Zinzan
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

SO has evryone pretty much jsut forgiven SOE for all their past mistakes and jumping on the bandwagon with PS2?

And why is this game even on an MMO site, shouldnt it be on the FPSguru site?  I mean its not liek this is a true MMO, its more of a hack and slash full scale FPS with very minimal progression elements needed to make an MMO successful.

I see this game dieing out within a few months because its trying to cater to too many people, plus its being developed by the worlds worst studio (well 2nd worse if you want to consider EA the worst).  Then again, I guess theres nothing wrong with a niche audience.  Myself if I wanted to play a FPS, id play Modern Warfare which is so much more better then the garbage that this game trys to be.  SciFi and not spaces combat, lol failure.

You clearly never played Planetside or you wouldn't even make this thread.

PS2 is an mmo, end of story. It's massive, it's muiltiplayer and it's online....why is this so hard for you to grasp?

for those of us who have played Planetside, extensively, Planetside 2 however is the NGE equivalent of SWG, its a shadow of the first game, about the only thing it has going for it, is better graphics, and that its F2P, and with Planetside 1 still around (P2P) it will be a constant reminder of all the things that Planetside 2 cannot do, which quite frankly, is a hell of a lot. Its so bad that they really would have been better off just giving Planetside a graphical update and leaving it alone than what they actually did, but then SOE has a rep, a bad one, for messing things around and 'fixing things' that were not broken. Planetside 2 is that game, and i don't think its going to be anywhere near as appealing as the NGE was in SWG.image

Took a lot of effort for SOE to gain the reputation they have, and as the old saying goes, a leopard never changes his shorts. image

• VincerKadenVincerKaden Member UncommonPosts: 457

SOE is alright all things considered. They've done their best to make money, and if they happen to make their consumers happy along the way, all the better. That's just my perception of corporate reality.

The only thing I really hold against them was what they did with SWG. That's a personal issue I have with them. I'm sure many others will applaud their handling of the game. So it's really nothing to pass judgement with.

I dabbled a little with Planetside 2 and it looks pretty fun. Not my cup o' tea, but it looks well done. That's one thing I can always count on SOE for: a quality presentation all things considered.

• TeknoBugTeknoBug Member UncommonPosts: 2,156

The other part is SOE's inadequate security practice last year, since I'm outside the US my CC stored on their database was compromised and my CC company notified me and issued me a new card. They were using an outdated firewall and database system, but they publicly apologized and then a couple weeks later 3 of their other site servers were hacked... did they not check all their servers?

SWG was royally screwed up, but SOE's addition of Aftershock in PS1 was a nail in the coffin, I hated the BFR's that it made me cancel my ongoing sub I had with PS1 at the time.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

No matter how you look at SOE they are trying to create a shooter on epic scale.
    And modern warfare aka camping no skill fps is not to be compared to massive scale battles.

Not going to defend SOE here, but at least they try to set a game up with thousand of players duking it out.
    If you ask me to rate modern shooters its looking like this.

MW - 5
    BF3 - 8
    PS2 - 9

This game isnt going to die anytime soon.

There is good progresion to advance your characters, something mmo's also use no ?
    It would take a year or more to farm all certificates.

Once your in a good outfit the real game begins, solo players have a real hard time getting anything done in this shooter and i love it the way it is.

It not for evryone, but calling PS2 a a failure ? kk.

• RedempRedemp Member UncommonPosts: 1,136

For the last few years I've questioned the SoE hate from some members here. Granted I was jerked around pretty hard by the NGE, but I still think SoE is one of the best Mmo developers out there. I don't remember playing a title SoE released and not being impressed by its quality. I just don't understand the angst, if its not soley because of SWG.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748

SO has evryone pretty much jsut forgiven SOE for all their past mistakes and jumping on the bandwagon with PS2?

And why is this game even on an MMO site, shouldnt it be on the FPSguru site?  I mean its not liek this is a true MMO, its more of a hack and slash full scale FPS with very minimal progression elements needed to make an MMO successful.

I see this game dieing out within a few months because its trying to cater to too many people, plus its being developed by the worlds worst studio (well 2nd worse if you want to consider EA the worst).  Then again, I guess theres nothing wrong with a niche audience.  Myself if I wanted to play a FPS, id play Modern Warfare which is so much more better then the garbage that this game trys to be.  SciFi and not spaces combat, lol failure.

Meh, it still have more meaningful and deeper pvp than GW2 imho. For that reason alone, it deserves a place here, just to remind those devs that might stumble upon this site, that we actually *like* meaningful pvp.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Phry

PS2 is an mmo, end of story. It's massive, it's muiltiplayer and it's online....why is this so hard for you to grasp?

for those of us who have played Planetside, extensively, Planetside 2 however is the NGE equivalent of SWG, its a shadow of the first game, about the only thing it has going for it, is better graphics, and that its F2P, and with Planetside 1 still around (P2P) it will be a constant reminder of all the things that Planetside 2 cannot do, which quite frankly, is a hell of a lot. Its so bad that they really would have been better off just giving Planetside a graphical update and leaving it alone than what they actually did, but then SOE has a rep, a bad one, for messing things around and 'fixing things' that were not broken. Planetside 2 is that game, and i don't think its going to be anywhere near as appealing as the NGE was in SWG.image

Took a lot of effort for SOE to gain the reputation they have, and as the old saying goes, a leopard never changes his shorts. image

Having been a planetside 1 vet for years I can say that PS2 is a HUGE improvement, why? Because of afew things.

PS1 combat was sluggish and really not that great, while I do miss the hacking of doors ect in PS1 I can do without , also the customization in PS2 is far better and leaves more room for progression , I don't consider PS2 the NGE of SWG thats just a silly coment as both games are completely different, and has zero room here in this topic.

I have every SOE game and the only ones that gave me a issue was SWG NGE , Vanguard at launch , other then that, nothing really to complain about. There are FAR worse companies out there then SOE, at least SOE games have spunk , and interesting ideas , for example, SWG housing system and crafting system was the BEST in any mmorpg to date and yet no one has even came up with a idea that is better.

But yeah , you might want to play the game first , because afew of the Other vets of PS1 myself included think it's leaps and bonds better then PS1 just because you don't have a third person perspective people put it off, well it IS a first person shooter FPS for a reason.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,112
    Originally posted by Teala
    Forgive SOE?  LOL!   They haven't proven they are not still the same company yet.    Anyone care to bet that after the lunch of Planetside2, it'll be less than a year before they have given up on the game and let it rot?

I don't know about that, there is a pretty strong dedicated PS fanbase who will play no other game but PS1 or PS2. I'm no fan of SOE, but the game engine they use is pretty nice from what little of PS2 I got to try.

SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• EladiEladi Member UncommonPosts: 1,145

Since when are SOE games bad? buggy maybe, lack of developments after release sure, but its   SOE the company/management that is  "bad'  Most of them are quiet stupit to when it comes to mmo bussiness and they are almost as bad as EA whit thier f2p markets.

But the games itself, SOE games tittles belong to the most inventive, inovative, well designed games on the market for the time they were made. 

PS2 is a fine game, its a FPS thats bigger then BF and COD/MW  thus far more fun to play even if it lacks any other things. itsa deluxe shooter that you dont have to buy and can play on alot of machines, from low end dual-cores to super high

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Aeolron

Having been a planetside 1 vet for years I can say that PS2 is a HUGE improvement, why? Because of afew things.

PS1 combat was sluggish and really not that great, while I do miss the hacking of doors ect in PS1 I can do without , also the customization in PS2 is far better and leaves more room for progression , I don't consider PS2 the NGE of SWG thats just a silly coment as both games are completely different, and has zero room here in this topic.

I have every SOE game and the only ones that gave me a issue was SWG NGE , Vanguard at launch , other then that, nothing really to complain about. There are FAR worse companies out there then SOE, at least SOE games have spunk , and interesting ideas , for example, SWG housing system and crafting system was the BEST in any mmorpg to date and yet no one has even came up with a idea that is better.

But yeah , you might want to play the game first , because afew of the Other vets of PS1 myself included think it's leaps and bonds better then PS1 just because you don't have a third person perspective people put it off, well it IS a first person shooter FPS for a reason.

have only ever used first person perspective in Planetside,  and in my experience so far, there hasnt been much, if any hype for the game from the PS1 Vets, would be very interested to know exactly what it is that you think PS2 does better than Planetside,  stealth for instance, has been nerfed, big time,  which means that the stealth part of combat has in effect, been removed from the game entirely. Vehicle combat, now appears to be based more on single player vehicles, and the numbers of vehicles available is only a fraction of the ones that were in Planetside, and this includes aircraft. BFR's however were a blight on Planetside, not seeing them in Planetside 2 would be a bonus, but about the only one so far. Combat engineering, not exactly very useful now is it, compared to the skills/abilities that were associated with it before, combat engineering is more of an afterthought, repairing and upgrading base defences, defensive minefields, stealth turrets, anti vehicle turrets,  manned turrets,  just a number of things that were somehow cut from game, then there is the armour, from the stealth suit, to the reinforced combat armour, which couldnt be used if you wanted to drive a vehicle - other than a bike,  come to think of it, what about all the bikes,  chain gun mounted, rocket mounted and stealth bikes..  thing you have to remember about SWG's NGE, is that it was a stripped down, nerfed version of SWG that nobody really wanted, and theres the thing, Planetside 2 is a stripped down, nerfed version of Planetside, and whether anyone really wants it at the moment is highly debateable, because the vets i know of, seem to have more problems with it, than praise. but hey what would i know, i am only a br24 cl1 grunt.. terran of course image

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,384

MMOexposed comment:

The part in red is where you are confusing the MMO & the RPG in the term MMORPG.

MMO means massive multiplayer online game. PS2 fits that.

Progression is part of RPG elements, not MMO. Not all MMO have to be RPG.  Just like not all RPG have to be MMO.

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192

Guild Wars 1  is not an MMO

APB is not an MMO

Dungeons and Dragons Online is not an MMO

Massive Multiplayer....none of those games have that.

Planetside does,making it an MMO.

• VarthanderVarthander Member UncommonPosts: 466

¿You suggest that we must always remember the bad things even when there are good ones? that would make the entire world quite sad i think.

• Agricola1Agricola1 Member UncommonPosts: 4,977

Since the C/U/R/B I've boycotted all Sony products not just SOE.

However when I saw Planetside 2 at E3 being showcased with Totalbiscuit I became interested.

I managed to compartmentalise my utter disdain and narrow it down to Smed then purchased two issues of PC Gamer that were giving out Beta keys.

Planetside 2 is the first game in more than 7 years to come out of SOE that's worth a damn (in my opinion) so I'm in. I play the game and enjoy it whilst trying to help find bugs and gameplay problems, I don't dwell on SWG anymore but believe this is SOE redeeming themselves.

It seems to me this is the first time in years the team at SOE has had the go ahead to pull their finger out and create a killer game. I suspect that the death of "The Agency" had something to do with the Planetside upgrade turning into a fully fledged new game.

So good luck to all those working hard on PS2,

See you on Auraxis soldier!

"Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience"

CS Lewis

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Cautious optimism is my approach with these guys.

• AeolronAeolron Member Posts: 648
    Originally posted by Aeolron

have only ever used first person perspective in Planetside,  and in my experience so far, there hasnt been much, if any hype for the game from the PS1 Vets, would be very interested to know exactly what it is that you think PS2 does better than Planetside,  stealth for instance, has been nerfed, big time,  which means that the stealth part of combat has in effect, been removed from the game entirely. Vehicle combat, now appears to be based more on single player vehicles, and the numbers of vehicles available is only a fraction of the ones that were in Planetside, and this includes aircraft. BFR's however were a blight on Planetside, not seeing them in Planetside 2 would be a bonus, but about the only one so far. Combat engineering, not exactly very useful now is it, compared to the skills/abilities that were associated with it before, combat engineering is more of an afterthought, repairing and upgrading base defences, defensive minefields, stealth turrets, anti vehicle turrets,  manned turrets,  just a number of things that were somehow cut from game, then there is the armour, from the stealth suit, to the reinforced combat armour, which couldnt be used if you wanted to drive a vehicle - other than a bike,  come to think of it, what about all the bikes,  chain gun mounted, rocket mounted and stealth bikes..  thing you have to remember about SWG's NGE, is that it was a stripped down, nerfed version of SWG that nobody really wanted, and theres the thing, Planetside 2 is a stripped down, nerfed version of Planetside, and whether anyone really wants it at the moment is highly debateable, because the vets i know of, seem to have more problems with it, than praise. but hey what would i know, i am only a br24 cl1 grunt.. terran of course image

While I will agree with you that PS1 was a beast but at the time even when the game launched , Battle field 1942 was leaps and bounds better because of smoother game play and more fluid mechanics. Today with Planet side 2 it is actualy comparable with the latest and best FPS , and in about 90% of the cases beats them. When you spoke about the combat regarding vehicles ect with more then 1 person , you can still do the same in PS2 . Sundies load up two gunners and go nuts, same with the lib , galaxie , tanks ect so I don't know where you are coming at but it's the same in PS2,....just better.

But hey, what would I know? Just beta tested all the SOE games to date plus played PS1 for 5 years, but each to their own opinion!

TR FTW!

• Greyflame11Greyflame11 Member Posts: 45

have only ever used first person perspective in Planetside,  and in my experience so far, there hasnt been much, if any hype for the game from the PS1 Vets,

No Hype from returning vets?  Wow... I guess you don't run with any of the outfits that originally were in PS1.  Whole groups of vets are back in original outfits and working/playing together.  How do I know?  I'm in one of them with over 100 returning vets.  And we're communicating with other outfits that have returned.  I'd be willing to bet other factions also have outfits return as well. 

• XthosXthos Member UncommonPosts: 2,739
    Originally posted by Teala
    Forgive SOE?  LOL!   They haven't proven they are not still the same company yet.    Anyone care to bet that after the lunch of Planetside2, it'll be less than a year before they have given up on the game and let it rot?

Yeah, jerks, made one expansion for EQ....and then nothing else ever.  Some people act like they still make expansions for EQ and EQ2.

• SysFailSysFail Member Posts: 375

This thread doesn't belong in this section...

But while here, i will say that PS2 is by far the best pc title currently imo and it's still evolving...