Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO you hate the most because of the fans

Comments

• DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    GW2 followed closely by Darkfall.
  • DrolkinDrolkin Member UncommonPosts: 246
    Originally posted by Volkon
    Anyone else think it's completely ridiculous to hate a game people of the fans? A good game's a good game.

Justin Bieber has millions of fans, does that make him a talented artist?

GW2 is not a good game in the eyes of those that do not like it, get over it and go back to playing your Charr Necromancer or what the hell ever. =)

• bunnyhopperbunnyhopper Member CommonPosts: 2,751

Some of the GW2 sunshining that goes on is a little nauseating but I don't hate any game because of it's "fans".

"Come and have a look at what you could have won."

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

GW2 by a longshot.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• AccountDeleted12341AccountDeleted12341 Member Posts: 351
    Originally posted by Lienhart

Mine: Dark Age of Camelot

I tried playing it years back (before WoW came out). Hated it for it's inferior graphics and lack of direction.

The fans always talk about how great it's PvP was, I always found it incredibly boring. Most likely, though, because I'm heavily into true skill based PVP games (CS1.6, SC and others back then).

How 'bout you guys?

The thing I hate the most because of the fans is CS1.6 and SC, because it creates fans like you...who think that is somehow "true skill" as opposed to other video games.

I played CS (I find it hilarious that you call it 1.6...lmao...) and SC. I was very good at CS, although certainly not obsessive about it where I thought myself above other people because I played it instead of other video games.

True skill based PvP games like CS1.5, SC, and others back then? LOL...

Almost as delicious of a laugh as those who think Ultima Online pre-trammel was somehow "true skill" PvP, or randomly PKing 13 year old kids, new players, and clueless housewives somehow makes them good at the game?

I find myself on the top scoreboards of any game I ever play. Whether it is a FPS, RTS, MMO, or anything inbetween. Carebear (WoW) or Hardcore (UO, Darkfall) I win more often than not, and rarely lose in a fair fight in a MMO. Although I don't participate in tournaments and I'm not a "pro gamer" (laugh), I never have a problem against other players, except in RTS games which I have fewer hours clocked in. (I do, however, get high in ranked matches with fewer matches played than the average competitive player).

What does this mean? I am good at video games- all of them. You pretty much have to have an aimbot to beat me in FPS, use pro teamwork to outfox me, or have hundreds more hours in the RTS. Yet I do not believe any of this skewed perspective on "true skill".

I can beat you in your chosen FPS, dominate you in the MOBA of choice, and roflstomp you in that MMO you like. I will never, ever, EVER claim I have "true skill" in any of those simply because I have played CS1.6, SC, or UO.

True skill? Roflmao...that is just funny. There are WoW players all around that will roflstomp you because they have true skill, and don't even know what a FPS, RTS, or other MMO even is.

I've played for well over a decade, and I can promise you...true skill is mostly just a matter of experience. In other words: number of hours you've played in the game, and to a lesser extent number of hours you've played in the genre. Having a fair fight is almost non-existent in any genre, unless you get people with similar clocked hours. Then you can translate "player skill" into what you probably believe actually IS player skill. Unfortunately, that is all vague and subjective as well.

I am still laughing off my butt...."True Skill- CS1.6" lol...

There is no difference between "true skill" in CS1.6, Red Orchestra, Team Fortress, or Hello Kitty Foam Shooter. They are all just a point and click interface which require the user to gather experience of how often to hold the click, when to stop clicking, and some smaller things like predicting movement, map awareness, or whatever else the specific game includes in it: all of which simply require hours played, or perhaps guides read.

• gravesworngravesworn Member Posts: 324
    If you think mmos are bad, try HoN or Dota, elistism and it gets scary how contageous it gets after you play awhile.
  • SpennetSpennet Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by Drolkin
    Anyone else think it's completely ridiculous to hate a game people of the fans? A good game's a good game.

Justin Bieber is actually a talented artist. That's pretty much a fact. Does that make him an artist to like and admire? According to 12-year old girls - yes. According to me - no.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Spennet
    Originally posted by Drolkin Originally posted by Volkon Anyone else think it's completely ridiculous to hate a game people of the fans? A good game's a good game.
    Justin Bieber is actually a talented artist. That's pretty much a fact. Does that make him an artist to like and admire? According to 12-year old girls - yes. According to me - no.

Bieber is a talented businessman, not artist. He doesnt create art, he creates a product for mass market consumers. And he is hella good at it. But thats not art.
  • grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682

No, his producer and the technological wizardry of autotune are the artists in this case.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • SpennetSpennet Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

No, his producer and the technological wizardry of autotune are the artists in this case.

I've actually seen the "Never say never" justin bieber "documentary" (please don't ask). And he was indeed a musical talent before his break-through. I get what you're saying though, and 99% of his success is probably because of his producer and what not (and there's obviously a lot more talented musicians with barely a fraction of his fame).

• VyethVyeth Member UncommonPosts: 1,461
    Originally posted by grimgryphon

I've actually seen the "Never say never" justin bieber "documentary" (please don't ask). And he was indeed a musical talent before his break-through. I get what you're saying though, and 99% of his success is probably because of his producer and what not (and there's obviously a lot more talented musicians with barely a fraction of his fame).

Well just like some mmo players, some little girls will follow anything... Remember the boy band years? From the mid 90's up until about 2004? Every new boy band that came out had girls all into them.. Not because of their singing talent per se, but the fact that it gave them something to support.. They were basically ALL the same (bouncy bubblegum pop tunes), but it ididnt matter..

The same could be said for MMO's recently..

• mmoguy43mmoguy43 Member UncommonPosts: 2,770
    I honestly used to hate WoW because of how obnoxious the fans of it were but I don't care anymore. Thankfully those folks have grown up a little. Hating any game for any reason is wasted effort that goes no where.
  • DeivosDeivos Member EpicPosts: 3,692
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Originally posted by Deivos
    Pretty sure he got it, he was just pointing out that your post was derisive and mocking in the way you were portaying another person as derisive and mocking.

There is a reason he put the quoted text in quotes. Or maybe I misread that...

From what I understood he was making a parody of the subject to summarize his disdain.

"The knowledge of the theory of logic has no tendency whatever to make men good reasoners." - Thomas B. Macaulay

"The greatest enemy of knowledge is not ignorance, it is the illusion of knowledge." - Daniel J. Boorstin

• MyriaMyria Member UncommonPosts: 699
    Originally posted by Xzen
    The reason I hate WoW fans.

Because... What? One of them, who's obviously representative of several million people, posted something you apparently didn't agree with?

• XzenXzen Member UncommonPosts: 2,607
    Originally posted by Myria
    Originally posted by Xzen
    The reason I hate WoW fans.

Because... What? One of them, who's obviously representative of several million people, posted something you apparently didn't agree with?

Nope.

• eGumballeGumball Member Posts: 151

EvE, where the fans can come to a thread and insult every single mmo-out there with all their player-base who are idiots, playing a trash game when EvE is there.

WoW fans are often childish and ignorant.

GW2 aren´t that bad, however, you can find them everywhere, so it is kinda too annoying sometimes. On the other hand, the fans of the other games are the ones who made GW2 fanbois bad at mmorpg.com Because Mr/Mrs Pro began to open threads basing GW2 in GW2 forums and without valid arguments and without even mentioning that it is a oersonal opinion. Right now, GW2 community here, is so tired of all the threads, trollin GW2 in the past 2 months, that they begin to troll other games too.

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Deivos
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky   Originally posted by Deivos Pretty sure he got it, he was just pointing out that your post was derisive and mocking in the way you were portaying another person as derisive and mocking.
    There is a reason he put the quoted text in quotes. Or maybe I misread that...  
    From what I understood he was making a parody of the subject to summarize his disdain.

There was no disdain. Over zealous gw2 fans are entertaining. I said that in my original post. Someone else turned it into all gw2 fans and hate.
  • The worst fanbases by far IMO are GW2 and WoW. I don't hate games because of fanbases however and I resubbed to WoW with MoP.
  • fixiffixif Member UncommonPosts: 180

Leaps and miles from any other community, GW2.

Mostly because they believe GW2 is the best, most innovative, ground breaking, next-gen, finallyaWoWkiller game ever released. atlho everything has started showing in opposite direction. It's almost unbearable.

• OmnifishOmnifish Member Posts: 616
    Originally posted by Hardanger
    To put a postitive spin on the quesiton, I actually like LotRO a lot in a large part because of its great commmunity.  

That's why I stuck with CoH and WoW for so long.  The community, which was great respectively, for different reasons. Anyone who thinks that isn't an issue is just clueless.

At a push I'd say GW2 just because of the excuses the fanbois come out with because someone doesn't like their favorite game.  I remember defending SWTOR when people said it should die for, 'the good of the industry', which is such a idiotic suggestion.  I'd never dispute if someone didn't like the game, that's their choice.

However on these forums that's what ANET diehards do with reasons like being too, 'stupid' to understand it's simple mechanics. Or there a , 'wowfanboy', or a, 'Luddite', or whatever else and  they love paraphasing to discredit anyone who calls them out on it.

DAOC was an innovitive game, no doubt, but yes people who just say, 'This should be like DAOC had it', are blinkered at best and probably are sipping some of the Mythic Old School Special.The game had plenty of issues and questionable expansions.

Memories and rose tinted specs make you right no? :P

This looks like a job for....The Riviera Kid!

• YakamomotoYakamomoto Member Posts: 363
    Originally posted by Randayn
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Yeah the over zealous gw2 fans are lulz:

"If you like xyz instead of gw2 thats fine. I hope you enjoy yourself. Personally, i have evolved past that archaic style and could never revisit that trash. But you go ahead and have fun with that mmkay?"

And that is why GW2 fans are the way they are.  You say you dont like them, but you belittle them and call them names based purely on you not liking the game.

actually, there have been quite a few GW2 fanboi's that have said something similar to this "If you like xyz instead of gw2 thats fine. I hope you enjoy yourself. Personally, i have evolved past that archaic style and could never revisit that trash. But you go ahead and have fun with that mmkay?"

Or they'll talk to you like you lost your loved one a year ago by saying..."you have to move on...things are different now...."

Hands down the award for worst fans goes to GW2.

^^ Very true.  And they all seem to talk in absolutes:

"Oh, I can never ever go back to playing those clones with their quest hubs.  I know exactly the type of game GW2 is and I'll be playing it for years and years." 

oh my god I can´t believe people actually think that QUEST HUBS -- E V E R were the problem of bland MMO concepts.

It´s mindboggling.

How exactly does it matter how you receive an egg collection quest in your questlog?

Like a new shiny car is better because the tank cap is on the right side instead of the left side?

"Oh, I can never ever go back to driving those cars with their fuel cap on the left side!"

Guess that´s one of the reasons GW2 fans are leading the list here. Incredibly happy about one less click on an NPC, but ignoring the fact they do the same thing like 10 years ago in any other MMO.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Originally posted by Starpower

I'm sorry I'm not that irrational

Hating something because a certain group of people likes it, is just that. Irrational not to mention stupid

I agree but i think the OP's point is that even though it may be irrational,rabid fans can turn you off to a game,maybe not to hate,but to totally lose interest.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    Originally posted by RefMinor
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    The more popular a game the more hate it will get. hipsters hate wow and gw2 because they are successful. hipsters like seeing things fail. they are never happy. hating or not playing a game based on a forum community is childish and you should have your voting rights revoked..grow up children.

I am guessing GW2 fan.

you avoided playing a game based on the fanbase on an unofficial forum, that's the most ridiculous thing i have ever heard. if anything you should hate the devs because they made the game that you have never played yet hate so much. i'd say you'd be easy to manipulate.

Yes, GW2 fan

At least i made up my mind by actually playing the game, you made your mind based upon fan reaction. I have a mind of my own and will play something before i have an opinion on it, you sir are easily led.

• IstavaanIstavaan Member Posts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Yakamomoto
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Yeah the over zealous gw2 fans are lulz:

"If you like xyz instead of gw2 thats fine. I hope you enjoy yourself. Personally, i have evolved past that archaic style and could never revisit that trash. But you go ahead and have fun with that mmkay?"

And that is why GW2 fans are the way they are.  You say you dont like them, but you belittle them and call them names based purely on you not liking the game.

actually, there have been quite a few GW2 fanboi's that have said something similar to this "If you like xyz instead of gw2 thats fine. I hope you enjoy yourself. Personally, i have evolved past that archaic style and could never revisit that trash. But you go ahead and have fun with that mmkay?"

Or they'll talk to you like you lost your loved one a year ago by saying..."you have to move on...things are different now...."

Hands down the award for worst fans goes to GW2.

^^ Very true.  And they all seem to talk in absolutes:

"Oh, I can never ever go back to playing those clones with their quest hubs.  I know exactly the type of game GW2 is and I'll be playing it for years and years." 

oh my god I can´t believe people actually think that QUEST HUBS -- E V E R were the problem of bland MMO concepts.

It´s mindboggling.

How exactly does it matter how you receive an egg collection quest in your questlog?

Like a new shiny car is better because the tank cap is on the right side instead of the left side?

"Oh, I can never ever go back to driving those cars with their fuel cap on the left side!"

Guess that´s one of the reasons GW2 fans are leading the list here. Incredibly happy about one less click on an NPC, but ignoring the fact they do the same thing like 10 years ago in any other MMO.

play rift and you'll see why it matters, you have to do quest A from npc X so that you can see quest B and C  over the heads  of npc Y and Z. chain quests hubs are horrible and linear. people want to explore at their own leisure and not be led around by the nose, doing boring, meaningless quests for 15 dollars a month.

This discussion has been closed.