Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Neverwinter: Helm's Hold Profiled in New Trailer

2»

Comments

• Rider071Rider071 Member Posts: 318

I've been waiting for a true mmo based on Forgotten Realms forever, finally glad it's coming to pass. I'm definitely in.

For those against PW, oh well your loss. I have played PWI and enjoyed the game, never felt it was P2W as some claim, true you can pay for items to help craft easier, but the same items can be purchased through auction or earned in game.

Think the hate is based more in xenophobia than that of actual facts.

I'm just glad EA doesn't own it.

• Ambros123Ambros123 Member Posts: 877
    Originally posted by Wendetta

Huge ugly numbers greater than 1000 popping up as damage in a "DnD" game?

Oh yeah...Perfect World. This is their chinaman's version of DnD. Damage rolls are probably off 10d100 spherical dice.

Ignorance is bliss.

PW is just the publisher, Cryptic is the developer.  Neverwinter was already long in development and think it was even pretty much finished when PW acquired Cryptic.  If anything PW improved Neverwinter as they allowed Cryptic to delay the launch to add more to the game to be more of an MMO unlike if they were still with Atari who whould have pushed out an unfinished product.

And really how is 10d100 any different than DDO's 10d10?

As far as Neverwinter itself, I'm waiting and seeing what comes out.  I used to be highly hyped but now more of watching and evaluating.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by Rider071

I've been waiting for a true mmo based on Forgotten Realms forever, finally glad it's coming to pass. I'm definitely in.

For those against PW, oh well your loss. I have played PWI and enjoyed the game, never felt it was P2W as some claim, true you can pay for items to help craft easier, but the same items can be purchased through auction or earned in game.

Think the hate is based more in xenophobia than that of actual facts.

I'm just glad EA doesn't own it.

Agreed same here.  Every thing I have seen so far looks to be a good game, really love the foundry myself which should go along way to creating never ending content to partake in.  Im not one of these gamers who refuse to play because a certain company is making it, I give every company a fair shot if the game itself is something I am looking forward too and if it has good production quality.

Not a fan of the action combat, but I can manage it because its set in my all time favorite D&D world and the content looks to be innovative.  IMO Innovation and AAA production is all I look for in new games.  Anything which is a clone of WoW need not pass my keyboard.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• GyrusGyrus Member UncommonPosts: 2,413
    Originally posted by MadDemon64
    Originally posted by Talonsin
    If you dont like the current gameplay in CO or STO you probably wont like this one.  Same engine, same heavy instancing, almost identical foundry and same lockbox features are almost guaranteed. 

1.  The engine is the only thing that you got correct, but that alone is nothing to complain about.

2.  Neverwinter had heavy instancing when it was under development while Cryptic still belonged to Atari.  When PWE took charge, much of the instancing was removed to make a more open world MMO.  Besides, instancing does not guarantee a bad game (just look at Phantasy Star Online 2, an MMO that actually is heavily instanced).

These two statements are contradictory.

In fact, it makes me wonder if you know what a game engine is?

The Cryptic CO / STO engine is an instancing engine.  I think of it as 'instance director software' in that it takes each character and directs them to the best instance for their personal gameplay.

That's what it was designed to do, and to be fair, it does it very well. 

But the 'problem' is that the whole 'world' is instanced.  And after a short while players really notice this.  It weird but no matter how 'fun' the game play is, somewhere in our psyche we do really notice the instancing and it breaks the 'immersion'.  It disconnects us from the world the developers are attempting to make us feel we are a part of.

For MMOs - that is fatal.

Your second point suggests that Perfect World just said "No, make the world different!" and somehow the engine started to work differently?

It can't.  It was designed to work a certain way.  That's what it does.

You cannot use the Cryptic engine to emulate Vanguard (for example).  In the same way you couldn't use the LotRO engine to emulate STO.  You could (probably) make a 'Vanguard like' game using the Cryptic engine - but it would have to be intanced and the word would have to be broken up into blocks big enough for the Cryptic engine to handle.  So in the end it would only look a little bit like Vanguard - but players would notice the difference.

So, no matter how 'big' the Neverwinter 'world' is, players will soon notice that it is broken up into blocks they can cross in about 10 minutes before being moved to another instance.

That is unless PW and Cryptic sat down and re-wrote large parts of the engine?  Which they wont do - because game engines really are a huge deal these days.  Such a big deal that even experienced developers will consider buying one rather than writing their own.

Nothing says irony like spelling ideot wrong.

• doomspectredoomspectre Member Posts: 12
    looks exactly like Dragon Age aka boring aka I wish this game wasn't coming out