Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Some questions before i buy it...

Comments

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Zylaxx
    Originally posted by Dulu
    Originally posted by evolver1972

Instead of not really adding to what everyone else has said (already some really good posts on the subject), I'll ask you this:

Do you worry this much over paying $60 for a single player game?  Would you ask the same questions of a game like Skyrim or KOTOR?

Either way, I think GW2 is more than worth the $60.  And there is no subscription.  So basically, it's a AAA MMO for the same price as a SPRPG.  I don't think you can go wrong there.   On top of that, it's got more content than even Skyrim has.  And way more than COD: Black Ops would ever dream of having.

It's really not a triple A MMO.

It lacks the depth of EQ, DAoC, WoW. It's really just a shallow, boring grind to 80, and some woefully boring PvP.

But, it plays smooth, and has beautiful graphics. Much like dating a gorgeous model, who doesn't speak your language. All of the aesthetics are there, but there is no substance.

Your money is best spent else-where. The servers are already being merged due to lack of a population.

What this guy said.

Because we all know Raiding with 19 other douchebags is considered the only true endgame content worthy of an MMO endgame. 

Easy there bro. No need to cqll people douchebags as if only these kind of people are interested in raiding. Don't try to project your own personal experince as some kind of truth. I have raided in a lot of MMOS and my experince has been as good and bad as my experince in GW2 when it comes to interaction with other players. For all these years i was never..not once forced to participate in raiding.

GW2 is also a shallow boring grind because its not like grinding quests and following a linear path from level 1-80 is the only true form of progression.

Non linear yes but you are still grinding hearts, events and well..more hearts and events. However, if you are not enjoying something it is bound to become grind.

And we all know your money is best spent elsewhere since the only true beauty of an MMO comes in the form of a stale, archaic, bland vertical loot progression style endgame, where you chase tiered gear ad naseum.

Very subjective. You can not decide the value of money spent as it differes from person to person. And if you think all MMOS other than GW2 are just about vertical loot progression end game..well then it is your own fault because there is so much more to MMORPGS. I have been playing EQ2 for 5+ years and i never had to participate in gear treadmill.

IMO OP, GW2 is the best MMO to come out in a very long time, and as long as loot progression is nt what you are looking for, the content is varied and plentiful, more so then any raid centric game.  There is literally thousands of hours worth of good solid content for the average gamer.

Well ironic, you put IMO in beginning and yet you flame him for giving his opinion?

(Ohh BTW, GW2 has never merged a server, the population is growing and there are queues to WvW on most servers at all hours of day - I.e. right now, at 4:24am I am sitting in a queue for Yak's Bend Borderlands, I am on Sanctum of Rall)

Aren't you the same guy who said GW2 opened a new server to accomodate the ever increasing population? and yet no such server was found because due to W V W it is impossible to open just one new server.

I will take everything you say with a big table spoon of salt.

Topics like these are like a trap. OP asks question, someone answer them according to their own opinion and experinces with the game and fans flame him to hell and back.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by halflife25
    Originally posted by Connmacart
    Originally posted by ZigZags
    The definition of triple A is a game that brings innovation and new features with top of the line graphics and replayability that appeals to enough people to bring a healthy profit over the long run. A game that overcomes the initial hype and release period of a game's release. (first 12 months)

Since the GW2 fanaticism will die off significantly over the next few months as it gas already started. I would not call GW2 a AAA mmo. Also GW2 did not innovate enough, is f2p and theme parks are losing their appeal greatly.

The next AAA mmo will be a lot different from what we're used to.

Triple A only pertains to the budget. Not the quality of the game, but more important your preference has nothing to do if it is AAA.

Well thanks for your expert opinion but in my opinion it is not just about the budget but also the over all quality of the game at release. However, the amount of bugs, botting and gold sellers cheapen the feeling of AAA title. So yes it is also about your personal preference. Its been over a month and bugs present at release are still here.

Rift is what i call a AAA MMO.

It isnt about opinion / preference at all. A game is considered AAA based on things like production value.

A game made by a team of 5 people with like $1 million is consider an indie title. Some of these are considered awesome games, it does not make them AAA

Game like WoW, SWTOR, WAR, LOTRO, GW2, AOC, TESO, Rift, etc with many millions invested in the development / production of the game, large dev teams, usually backed by a major publisher, etc are all considered AAA games. Several of those would be considered absolutely horrible games to some, but it doesnt change their being AAA.

Think of it sort of like movies. Youve got your big high production value movies which usually have famous actors, famous directors & producers, the latest special effects, etc and which are usually the ones released in theatres all over the world, advertised for constantly, etc. Those would be our versions of AAA MMOs. Then youve got your other lower budget "B" movies and indie movies that often never see the big screen unless they manage to pick up a lot of steam through critics and "festivals", etc. Youve also got your "made for TV movies" and all that stuff too.

Regardless of which category they fit into, they can be either good or bad depending on the individual.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by AlBQuirky

Some shops, bars, and "public buildings" are open. If the door is open, you can enter. Some others are instanced areas, like the Queen's Throne Room in the human city of Divinity's Reach.

Just a precision here, places like the throne room are instanced because they are used for parts of the personal story line.

Many buildings of any kind can be entered and explored (without zoning of course), some without any real purpose but being there for you to satisfy your curiosity. You can even enter windmills and fully explore them, with the mechanism inside (and sometimes some surprises...).

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• sfc1971sfc1971 Member UncommonPosts: 421

1. Invisible walls. No not really, there are "mazes", in SWG you could run up any incline not so in GW2 but most of the map can be explored. But it is not an exploration game, this is a theme park similar to Lotro.

2. It ain't no SWG and doesn't have the clothing options of TSW. But it does allow multiple body types. But then, how many want to play a fat chick?

3. Very fast

4. No, the zones are far smaller. There are no mounts and you don't miss them. There also isn't much in the zones to make them feel full and with the option to teleport, the zones never feel epic. Not tiny, just not true MMO style big. You will soon see other players regardless of where you go. mind you, in a MMO that isn't bad by definition. But you won't find any area everyone else hasn't already visited. Twice.

5. There are some buildings, especially in home towns. In the game worlds there are small houses but they have open doors.

6. Korean. This ain't no Skyrim. If you want that, this is not the game you want. I like this game and Skyrim and they are not the same. At all.

7. There is some blending of areas, each race has its own zone type, snow, jungle etc and while the next area might in majority be of type Y, the crossover bit will extend a bit into the other. It actually works pretty well to obscure the fact that each zone is seprated by walls.

You want a Elder Scroll type game. IF you also mean the older games before the console kiddies got their grubby paws on them, then this game will not suit that need. 

This is a light-weight, easy mode WoW clone without the maturity of barren chat and WoW ethics against trying to fleece you for every penny you have.

Enjoy it for what it is or leave it well alone but don't think this will be the BIG MMO where you can escape in adventures filled with exploration. You might think you found a remote spot and BAM, ten naked botts will run by killing everything in their path and that kinda ruins immersion.

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707
    If you don't need the game to tell you where to go next buy GW2, if you need it buy WoW/others.

If you want your toon to get stronger and bigger and better instead of you getting better after the tutorial (until you hit level 80), play WoW. Else play GW2.

If you want GW2 to be WoW without subscriptions, try to find your luck somewhere else.
  • YamotaYamota Member UncommonPosts: 6,593
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz

Just a few questions i hope i can get an answer to before i go out and buy the game.

1) Are there invisible walls - Or rather, are they omnipresent in the game? Does it ever stop you from going anywhere when you're just trying to hop along a path or what looks like a steep incline? Comparing it to WoW (which has virtually no invisible walls, the ones that are there are usually out of reach), how good or bad is it? Guild Wars 1 is an example of what i mean with 'bad' by the way, where you run up to the things constantly. The most important thing here is whether i'm constantly going to be stopped when i'm trying to explore the world, and i can't get up an obvious path that's blocked off by an invisible wall.

The game is zoned and the zones are rectangular in shape and there are fixed entrances/exits so obviously there are invisible walls. Now how evident that is I can't tell but the world feels pretty boxed in to me but that is the case with most ThemeParks.

2) What are the options for customizing your character, mechanically? Is it only items and skills, or are there talents, glyphs or stats (ala wow and diablo 2) you can customize? Is the only mechanical difference between one warrior and the next the weapon and the skills they have equipped or is there more?

If you mean customized in the way they work and not looks, all classes have a set of 5 utility skills and 5 weapon based skills so you can pick between weapons and utility skills and that is pretty much it. No other customization exists, to my knowledge. 

3) How fast is levelling? I'm going to play with at least 1 more, and i don't want to rush to 80. We want to take our time and just have fun along the way. Is the game made in such a way that levelling goes quickly regardless of what you do or does it allow you to take it easy?

Leveling is pretty quick. I played casually, maybe 20 hours per week, and just ran around did quests, dynamic events and some PvP and I was level 80 in a month after I started. That is not bad in itself but the problem is that there isnt much to do at level 80 beside PvP, which you can do at lvl 1.

4) Are the zones as big as they look? I'd like the game to really 'feel' big - That there are areas in the game where i don't feel i HAVE to go in order to get everything, if you know what i mean. Like in WoW, if you pass an area you didn't have to be before you immediately start thinking about what quest you missed or are going to get, this feels pretty annoying to me since it holds the world back from 'coming alive'.

I feel the zones are pretty small, never felt that I got lost or anything and I could run from one side of it, to the other in about 5-10 mins. Also the game is a ThemePark so if you want to enjoy all the rides you need to do the different quests, dynamic events, vistas etc, specially if you want to get enough karma and gold to afford the good stuff.

5) It might seem like an irrelevant question to most, but can you go into houses and buildings, or are most of them locked off? I hate how especially Korean games never actually let you go inside anything unless it's a massive castle with a 15 square mile throneroom.

Don't know really, I know I walked into large houses but didnt pay attention to anything else.

6) On a scale of 1 to 10, how "open" and fleshed out is the world? 1 being something like a Korean game with a mostly featureless landscape with little to no small details and pretty much 0 buildings you can go into, 10 being like Skyrim where everything is handplaced, handcrafted and there's pretty much nothing you can't explore or go into, and there's no mountain you can't climb.

The world is pretty detailed and well built. But that being said, it is not an open world like in Skyrim where you can go where you want as there are invisible borders.

7) On a scale of 1 to 10, how consistent is the world? 1 being the schizophrenic WoW style where one zone flows into the next like a brick through a wall of wodkabottles, to 10 being like (again) Skyrim where all the areas blend into one another so seemlessly that the world truly feels like it's one big place.

When you zone the differences can be pretty big. From steep to jungle to arctic landscape and so on. Again, most ThemeParks are like this.

8) Will there be any world customization at any point? With this i primarily mean player housing, but also guild housing, fortresses or anything else managed by players, instanced or not.

Doubt it, this is not a sandbox so at most they will add instanced housing but dont hold your breath.

The game world is very important to me. As you may have suspected, i'm looking for an MMO that comes as close to an Elder Scrolls game as possible as far as exploration and the feel of the world goes. The game has to feel consistent across the board, not just within a zone or dungeon, and it has to offer something beyond the beaten path, something that rewards you for thinking "i wonder whether i can get up there". I already saw some jumping puzzles in GW2, but they look rather artificial for this purpose - I wonder if there's more that isn't explicitely designed to be explored, but the game lets you do it anyway.

This game is a ThemePark and as such the world is quite organised and boxed on, what you are looking for is more a sandboxish open world thing. GW 2 is not liked that, it is a typical ThemePark in regards to how the world is structured. Imo the jumping puzzles are quite lame and remind me of a platform game. Exploration should be done intuitively and to see the unknown, not to click on shiny thingy to get a reward.

The definition of triple A is a game that brings innovation and new features with top of the line graphics and replayability that appeals to enough people to bring a healthy profit over the long run. A game that overcomes the initial hype and release period of a game's release. (first 12 months)

Since the GW2 fanaticism will die off significantly over the next few months as it gas already started. I would not call GW2 a AAA mmo. Also GW2 did not innovate enough, is f2p and theme parks are losing their appeal greatly.

Triple A only pertains to the budget. Not the quality of the game, but more important your preference has nothing to do if it is AAA.

Well thanks for your expert opinion but in my opinion it is not just about the budget but also the over all quality of the game at release. However, the amount of bugs, botting and gold sellers cheapen the feeling of AAA title. So yes it is also about your personal preference. Its been over a month and bugs present at release are still here.

Rift is what i call a AAA MMO.

No it is not an opinion, in video games it refers to the budget which usually, but not always, means good quality. Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AAA#Games

It is possible for games to have a triple A-like quality but still be low budget but then it is, by definition, not a triple A product.

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,456
    Originally posted by sfc1971

4. No, the zones are far smaller. There are no mounts and you don't miss them. There also isn't much in the zones to make them feel full and with the option to teleport, the zones never feel epic. Not tiny, just not true MMO style big. You will soon see other players regardless of where you go. mind you, in a MMO that isn't bad by definition. But you won't find any area everyone else hasn't already visited. Twice.

6. Korean. This ain't no Skyrim. If you want that, this is not the game you want. I like this game and Skyrim and they are not the same. At all.

These two answers make me wonder if you have even played the game...

4. The zones are HUGE, and most also have extensive underground areas. I know what I'm talking about, my character has 100% world exploration, and I still find places I didn't know about.

6. That can't be serious. Bland landscape, no features, Korean? The world is handcrafted, there are many buildings you can enter, you have small details everywhere that make it feel living and breathing.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !

• IndromeIndrome Member UncommonPosts: 292

Just cleaning up:

No server merges have occured yet.

Customer support is doing the best they can and so far very few people have experienced problems in that department. (Unfortunately, the ones that have are all the more louder.)

The dev teams are updating/fixing the game constantly. There is no shortfall in comparison to other MMOs.

Playerbase is not dropping, actually the opposite is true.

Considering your questions and what I feel you're going for: 

Yes, you can play GW2 as fast or slow as you like. You can take your time and find hidden secrets everywhere that aren't noted on the map. You constantly find places where you go "Oh, I wonder..."

Don't let the nay-sayers get to you. Because if there's one thing I learned of GW2 so far, it would be that it's definitely not for everyone. A lot of things can turn you off if you try to play it like a traditional post-WoW MMO.

Playing it like Skyrim is actually a good idea, though. (playing both simultaneously atm and the sensation is indeed quite similar.)

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by Indrome

(...)

Customer support is doing the best they can and so far very few people have experienced problems in that department. (Unfortunately, the ones that have are all the more louder.)

Unless you can provide a reliable source, you don't really know whether or not the customer support are doing the best they can and how many people have experienced problems. Furthermore, there may be flaws in how the upper management allocated resources to their customer support, which isn't the fault of the custumer support itself, per se.

The dev teams are updating/fixing the game constantly. There is no shortfall in comparison to other MMOs.

The vulnerability that allows teleport hacks to function, is a shortfall compared to a lot of other MMORPGs. As for the update/fixing the game: it is hard to measure that, but they did indeed address several issues such as the diminishing returns in dungeons.

Playerbase is not dropping, actually the opposite is true.

Source? 

(...)

Originally posted by The_Korrigan

4. The zones are HUGE, and most also have extensive underground areas. I know what I'm talking about, my character has 100% world exploration, and I still find places I didn't know about.

6. That can't be serious. Bland landscape, no features, Korean? The world is handcrafted, there are many buildings you can enter, you have small details everywhere that make it feel living and breathing.

The zones are not huge, what are you talking about. They are pretty much the same size as WAR or WoW zones and that for me is average sized. Like I mentioned before, 5-10 minute to run from one side to another, assuming there are no hills in the way,

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by Yamota

The zones are not huge, what are you talking about. They are pretty much the same size as WAR or WoW zones and that for me is average sized. Like I mentioned before, 5-10 minute to run from one side to another, assuming there are no hills in the way,

I agree. No mounts give an illussion of larger zones but over all they are average in size.  They are decent though atleast bigger than Rift. But nexw expansion is goign to change that.

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668

I agree. No mounts give an illussion of larger zones but over all they are average in size.  They are decent though atleast bigger than Rift. But nexw expansion is goign to change that.

agree

• KareliaKarelia Member Posts: 668
    Originally posted by aesperus
    Originally posted by Hokie

8) Will there be any world customization at any point? With this i primarily mean player housing, but also guild housing, fortresses or anything else managed by players, instanced or not.

No, not really. Yeah you can claim a keep in WvW but it really makes no difference. Although when you fail or succeed in a DE (think WAR PQ) it can change the whole area around that DE. They happen in stages, so you may see compeltey different enemies depending on the stage (and merchants), or you many not see any at all if you "win" the first stage.

Mostly agree with your assessment. Just wanted to point out, that while they don't currently have player housing atm, they have stated that they are working on guild housing & GvG as a future feature. It is coming, but we probably won't see it for a few months.

i m so sick of all this comments about future content in new released mmo's. its so lame anymore.

• NaralNaral Member UncommonPosts: 748
    Originally posted by papardelios
    Originally posted by halflife2

agree

The zones are big, but the world feels very small because of the teleporting. Sure, you have to go there the first time on foot, but in no time at all, the world seems very very small to me, because you can pretty much instantly go anywhere you have ever been before. Now, that is not really a bad thing, imho, it is just the way GW2 is, and while the world is pretty big, it seems to have a shrinking feeling as I level, not an expanding feeling, in spite of having explored and opening more map.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

No, not really. Yeah you can claim a keep in WvW but it really makes no difference. Although when you fail or succeed in a DE (think WAR PQ) it can change the whole area around that DE. They happen in stages, so you may see compeltey different enemies depending on the stage (and merchants), or you many not see any at all if you "win" the first stage.

Mostly agree with your assessment. Just wanted to point out, that while they don't currently have player housing atm, they have stated that they are working on guild housing & GvG as a future feature. It is coming, but we probably won't see it for a few months.

i m so sick of all this comments about future content in new released mmo's. its so lame anymore.

Why? Because everything that exists in older MMOs existed and functione dperfectly from the start and nothing was ever added into the game later through updates and expansions?

Originally posted by kaiser3282

Why? Because everything that exists in older MMOs existed and functione dperfectly from the start and nothing was ever added into the game later through updates and expansions?

No, because they can and will say anything about things that might get added sometime in the future to keep you playing the game. That does not make any difference to what you are currently playing unless that next thing is schedules to be patched in.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951

Just a few questions i hope i can get an answer to before i go out and buy the game.

1) Are there invisible walls - found some but not many, and in places most players I know don't go. I'm one of those weird explorer types that try to jump on top of everything while traveling LOL

2) What are the options for customizing your character, mechanically? Is it only items and skills, or are there talents, glyphs or stats (ala wow and diablo 2) you can customize? Is the only mechanical difference between one warrior and the next the weapon and the skills they have equipped or is there more?

I customized my engineer to be an infinite swiftness/vigor, explosives + extended burning style talent tree. No cookie cutters here.

3) How fast is levelling? I'm going to play with at least 1 more, and i don't want to rush to 80. We want to take our time and just have fun along the way. Is the game made in such a way that levelling goes quickly regardless of what you do or does it allow you to take it easy?

When you reach level 60 if you concentrate solely on hearts you will most like level very quickly to 80. I've done mostly exploration/gathering with few if any hearts and i've noticed it's really quick. I'm now 72 took only 2 days to get there from 60. The beginner zones aren't like that. HOWEVER, keep in mind there isn't a lack of things to do, these posters on here who scream that are just really not that into playing the game like you and I play games, they rush through everything and want the best armor weapons instantly as their only goal in any game.

4) Are the zones as big as they look? I'd like the game to really 'feel' big - That there are areas in the game where i don't feel i HAVE to go in order to get everything, if you know what i mean. Like in WoW, if you pass an area you didn't have to be before you immediately start thinking about what quest you missed or are going to get, this feels pretty annoying to me since it holds the world back from 'coming alive'.

Zones definitely feel big! The only time i use teleport is when I'm with friends trying to get to them. Most of the game is running around on foot. You can walk from one end to the other of a zone and feel the size of it.

5) It might seem like an irrelevant question to most, but can you go into houses and buildings, or are most of them locked off? I hate how especially Korean games never actually let you go inside anything unless it's a massive castle with a 15 square mile throneroom.

Only experienced this in places that are specific to personal stories. They are the only few and far between buildings and caves i can't get into. Most of the rest are open or locked puzzles.

6) On a scale of 1 to 10, how "open" and fleshed out is the world? 1 being something like a Korean game with a mostly featureless landscape with little to no small details and pretty much 0 buildings you can go into, 10 being like Skyrim where everything is handplaced, handcrafted and there's pretty much nothing you can't explore or go into, and there's no mountain you can't climb.

Small details are Anet's thing. They literally looked for nooks and crannies in their world design to stuff things into. I can't tell you how many times I've passed by a hole in the wall that I never noticed before that lead to a large cave system or some underwater cave system that was well camo'd from view. It's amazing. The detail to characters is fun imo, npc's of all ages will do some random things while standing there in cities and talk about their day. :)

7) On a scale of 1 to 10, how consistent is the world? 1 being the schizophrenic WoW style where one zone flows into the next like a brick through a wall of wodkabottles, to 10 being like (again) Skyrim where all the areas blend into one another so seemlessly that the world truly feels like it's one big place.

Well this is something people would complain about. I for one don't care, I like it how it is. There's portals leading from one zone to the next, most of the time tho, you don't notice them because once you see how the world is laid out it sometimes takes a long time to get to one of those. There is no summoning so you have to walk there the first time. Since starting to play I've seen why they decided on this and it's to help with the flow of players. It does wonders for a server to be able to place people into instance shards of azone if it's overflowing with login attempts. Makes the game play more fluidly. I usually load before anyone else and that's not happened in YEARS in any instance on the P2P games.

I've heard rumors and seen posts about player housing and guild housing. Not seen anything concrete can't imagine with all the detail they put into the title that they wouldn't put this in there too with the way they feel and support RP players.

The game world is very important to me. As you may have suspected, i'm looking for an MMO that comes as close to an Elder Scrolls game as possible as far as exploration and the feel of the world goes. The game has to feel consistent across the board, not just within a zone or dungeon, and it has to offer something beyond the beaten path, something that rewards you for thinking "i wonder whether i can get up there". I already saw some jumping puzzles in GW2, but they look rather artificial for this purpose - I wonder if there's more that isn't explicitely designed to be explored, but the game lets you do it anyway.

They definitely make it a fun experience to explore and to figure things out. When exploring i find it is very rewarding to sneak around and figure out a jump puzzle I've never seen before or try to figure out how to open a door that's sealed shut. :) Most of the little things look like someone decided to throw them in during the drawing board process, it's nice to see such detail in a game again. I've even seen caves with trap systems you have to work out how to shut off or you die if you try to get through them.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

No, because they can and will say anything about things that might get added sometime in the future to keep you playing the game. That does not make any difference to what you are currently playing unless that next thing is schedules to be patched in.

And in a P2P game this matters why? this isn't some sub only game title that the devs are worried people will leave for a short period while they finish things.They do care if their title is a success and the sooner haters realize that the better but to argue the logical fallacy that somehow players leaving this game for a time while content is being developed will hurt GW2 or Anet in any way is just amazingly wrong. Anet has given us everything else they promised in their game (speaking of game only as I'm waiting on their Apps thing to finish developement but understand that the Mac players would like to play too) so why not give them a chance to finish what they started. They are more importantly worried about bots, cross platform, and apps in that order.

• daltaniousdaltanious Member UncommonPosts: 2,381

... a lot of blah blah blah ... deleted ...

Why you just do not cut short and say how much you hate wow? You are actually not interested in any answer you might get.

• ChromeBallzChromeBallz Member UncommonPosts: 342

Originally posted by daltanious
    Originally posted by ChromeBallz Just a few questions i hope i can get an answer to before i go out and buy the game. ... a lot of blah blah blah ... deleted ...
    Why you just do not cut short and say how much you hate wow? You are actually not interested in any answer you might get.

How you got to this interpretation i have no clue. I played WoW since release on and off, i've got all the collector's editions except MoP. I like the game, i just got tired of it since i've "outgrown" the style. I haven't really played it since a little while after the Firelands patch.

All i'm looking for is a game with a consistent and fleshed out world. WoW only has one of these qualities, so it's not the game for me anymore. Guild Wars 2 was on my radar because of this and i simply wanted to know more about it.

I've gotten a lot of answers that i'm happy with, as i already stated before. If the thread just goes on to be trolled and flamed like this i hope it gets locked >_>

Seriously, people can't even read anymore, they just see what they want to see.

Playing: WF
    Played: WoW, GW2, L2, WAR, AoC, DnL (2005), GW, LotRO, EQ2, TOR, CoH (RIP), STO, TSW, TERA, EVE, ESO, BDO
    Tried: EQ, UO, AO, EnB, TCoS, Fury, Ryzom, EU, DDO, TR, RF, CO, Aion, VG, DN, Vindictus, AA

• pedrostrikpedrostrik Member UncommonPosts: 396

Originally posted by Dulu

Originally posted by evolver1972 Instead of not really adding to what everyone else has said (already some really good posts on the subject), I'll ask you this:   Do you worry this much over paying $60 for a single player game?  Would you ask the same questions of a game like Skyrim or KOTOR?   Either way, I think GW2 is more than worth the $60.  And there is no subscription.  So basically, it's a AAA MMO for the same price as a SPRPG.  I don't think you can go wrong there.   On top of that, it's got more content than even Skyrim has.  And way more than COD: Black Ops would ever dream of having.
        It's really not a triple A MMO.   It lacks the depth of EQ, DAoC, WoW. It's really just a shallow, boring grind to 80, and some woefully boring PvP.   But, it plays smooth, and has beautiful graphics. Much like dating a gorgeous model, who doesn't speak your language. All of the aesthetics are there, but there is no substance.   Your money is best spent else-where. [mod edit]

this is just troll message, ignore it im playing since day 1 and having a blast and really exploring to the last detail with 1 engL64 and a guardian L46, the leveling curve its adaptable for your play style. enjoy as we are enjoying
  • Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441

1) Are there invisible walls...

2) What are the options for customizing your character, mechanically?

3) How fast is levelling? 

4) Are the zones as big as they look?  

5) It might seem like an irrelevant question to most, but can you go into houses and buildings, or are most of them locked off?

1. Not really, no. I havnt seen any invisible walls at all at least.

2. You choose 2 weapon sets for each character besides ele and engineer (right hand and lefthand weapon) which give you certain attacks. You choose a heal, 3 utility skills and a elite skill. You put points in 6 trees, up to 30 points (out of 70) and each 10 unlocks an ability of you choosing, 20 and 30 offers more choices.

You can change all those things including passive abilities for free out of combat but respeccing the trait points costs a few silver and can only be made at a class trainer.

3. I hit 80 after a month taking it rather slow, in about 180 hours playtime or so with plenty of exploration. You might get it to last longer, it depends on you but leveling is not that slow. 

4. Yeah, they are pretty large, several times the small zones of games like AoC and WAR.

5. You can go into some but many are locked, particularly in the main cities. As rule you cant get into peoples home but you can go into public buildings.

6. Hmm, it is pretty handcrafted. I would compare it to Skyrim in that part, only complains is that I wish the forrests were a bit more dense.

7.  About a 6. In some cases the zones are very distinct, in other places a zone holds many areas very different from eachother and in some cases like Orr the area spanns over several zones.

8. Not so much. Both player and guildhousing have been in work for at least 2 years (source: interview with Jeff Grubb 1 1/2 years ago) but neither are live yet. I think we will see that with the first expansion. There is your home zone that do get somewhat changed depending on your personal storychoices but it is not a big part and how well players perform in the world events effect how the world is doing. That is not so much in the beginning but in the last zones you wont even find a merchant or a friendly place if the players have gotten a too hard beating.

This part needs improving, but they are working on it and I expect it to go live with the first expansion.

If you want exploration I think you will enjoy this game as muchas I do. There are a lot of hidden secrets and jumping puzzles all around the world, some needed for 100% exploration (they are shown on the map) and some really well hidden and only found by a few people. Exploration is in fact the thing this game do best, I myself had missed this a lot for the last 10 years.

• ImperialSunImperialSun Member Posts: 212
    Originally posted by Enigmatus

What this guy said. ZigZags is just twisting the definition of Triple A to fit his dislike of GW2.

You mean in exactly the same way that evolver1972 twisted the definition of Triple A to fit his like of GW2?

See how that works?

Driz

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by ImperialSun

You mean in exactly the same way that evolver1972 twisted the definition of Triple A to fit his like of GW2?

See how that works?

Driz

It have a good budget and you cand find a physical copy if it in almost every game store anywhere.

AAA does not mean that a game is perfect, that you have to like it or even that it have to be well made, both Wow and AoC are AAA after all. Something like that cant be measured in how good or fun a game is, it needs a simple rule that allows you to recognize AAA games easily and without questions.

Go to 10 random game stores, if 9 of them either have a copy or sold out a MMO and waiting to get it in again it is AAA. That way noone can really twist it one way or another.