Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fishy?

2»

Comments

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270

I'd laugh if it's a scam.

I would consider investing in this if he issued stock through which I could profit if his project is successful.

But investing with nothing in return, then testing the game for them for free and since I put money down up front probably hyping the game for them for free?  

Don't think so.

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251
    Originally posted by Sentime

I'd laugh if it's a scam.

I would consider investing in this if he issued stock through which I could profit if his project is successful.

But investing with nothing in return, then testing the game for them for free and since I put money down up front probably hyping the game for them for free?  

Don't think so.

Investing with nothing in return? You can actually donate 30 dollars and own the game! How is that nothing in return, its buying the game. The reason you get to test it "for them" is cause that's what game players demand(if they don't have beta testing with players, than the cries about the game being secret cause its bad would ring out through the forums).

If you serious about stock which you can earn a profit, well it's not a publically traded commodity, you can't buy a two dollar stock share and declare yourself an owner, that is true, but there is contact info for bigger contributions which require dealing with the developers(since they are marketing to potential backers with clout, and not just fundraising). Large amounts would have options negotiated for partial ownership and whatnot(but lets not kid ourselves, I highly doubt Bill Gates or Paul Allen are posting on this site)

It's only a donation if you pick the very small donations, at 30 and 60 dollars your buying the finished game(it's basically a pre-order), anything over that, and yeah you would have to consider yourself donating money for a cause(which I won't do, but I'm not judging those that do, just not my cup of tea helping other people make money)

Everything your posting is pure opinion, and based on a minority of facts dealing with the entire thing.

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

I guess all those ppl crying scam are very young and never ever played a Chris Roberts game.

When it comes down to Space Simulation (with Dogfights) then you got Elite and all of Chris Roberts Games, Wing Commander 1-4, Privateer, StarLancer and FreeLancer. All others are weak in comparsion(complete StarWars games). He is the godfather of Space Dogfights. Those games were not just great, they were under the best games ever created, and without a doubt the best space dogfights games of all time.

So.. seriously, even if there would be nothing, i would throw him the 30$ just for the great games of the past. But i have no doubt at all, that he will deliver a great game again. And we will see what game that will be.

But, everyone how knows the games of Chris Roberts also knows, that he will push the nowadays technology to the limits. He will get out anything nowadays is possible, and we will see this. So no, your current computer will most probably not run this.

And that is one reason he is naturally more interested in crowd funding then to go with a publisher. Because they would say.. nay, think about the casuals, think about the masses.. and would be right from a monetary standpoint. And would get a watered down game as we are used to it. Anther point is, i guess, he want to have the saying. So another reason to not get in touch with publishers. And as he said, and i believe this, has put some of his money into that game, and the money of friends(dormant partners). But for a game with that scale, and that vision you need a lot of money.. and no the 5 Million crowd funding money will most probably not enough, or to much for that one.

And as with all crowd funding/kickstarter projects.. noone has to invest in it. But if you thrust into the people making it, if you believe their vision and share it.. nothing is wrong to put some money in it.

And it is no doubt in the reputation of Chris Roberts.. legendary game designer and the last few years film producer.

It is the same, if Sid Meier, Peter Molynoux or any other legendary game designer would ask for crowd funding for a project. I would not hesitate one second, and as long will i hesitate for this one..

Edit/PS:

And i predict, that this one, will crowd fund more money then any game before it.. and most probably any game a long time after that one.

• SentimeSentime Member UncommonPosts: 270
    Originally posted by Apraxis

I guess all those ppl crying scam are very young and never ever played a Chris Roberts game.

Yes and Richard Garriot could never make a bad MMO and Bioware only makes great games.

The hype will be strong with this game. :D

• ApraxisApraxis Member UncommonPosts: 1,518

There is a difference between making a not so good or bad game and scam. I wouldntn expect Richard Garriot to scam me, or Bioware(before it was taken from EA.... because i expect to be scammed from EA on a daily basis)

And yes.. the hype will be strong with this one.

PS: And i guess i would crowd fund Richard Garriot, too. If he got a conecpt i would like, like in that case.

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by zevni78
    This project is as close to a sure thing as you can get, this is Chris Roberts, anyone thinking scam in connection with him clearly didnt play any of his games during the 90s, all of which are among the greatest PC games of all time. Wing Commander, Priveteer, Freelancer, these are legends, and all he is doing here is combining them all with mmo elements, in his usual cutting edge production style. Roberts minus the publisher bull that screwed up his later pojects, this will be epic.

Indeed. His reputation speaks for itself. Having full creative pull over this project as a developer means we are in for something amazing in 2014. Well said.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    The only scam is paying money for supposed tripple A mmorpg's that are about as stale as decade old bread.
  • DarLorkarDarLorkar Member UncommonPosts: 1,082
    Originally posted by Althewiseguy
    This project is as close to a sure thing as you can get, this is Chris Roberts, anyone thinking scam in connection with him clearly didnt play any of his games during the 90s, all of which are among the greatest PC games of all time. Wing Commander, Priveteer, Freelancer, these are legends, and all he is doing here is combining them all with mmo elements, in his usual cutting edge production style. Roberts minus the publisher bull that screwed up his later pojects, this will be epic.

Indeed. His reputation speaks for itself. Having full creative pull over this project as a developer means we are in for something amazing in 2014. Well said.

I would not call it either a scam or a sure thing.

It is what it is.. a dev asking folks to take a gamble on him.

• Shoko_LiedShoko_Lied Member UncommonPosts: 2,193
    Originally posted by DarLorkar
    Originally posted by Althewiseguy

I would not call it either a scam or a sure thing.

It is what it is.. a dev asking folks to take a gamble on him.

It pans out either way,  because if it doesn't go through, he promised to refund the money donated. I doubt that it will fail though.

• mrcalhoumrcalhou Member UncommonPosts: 1,444
    Originally posted by sgel

Sounds like someone needs to go back to school.

Ask your teacher to teach you to THINK before you TYPE.

It should make your life on the internets much easier since people will not think you're a complete belend.

As a science teacher I can say that no matter how much I try to get the students to think, it just doesn't actually happen.

--------
    "Chemistry: 'We do stuff in lab that would be a felony in your garage.'"

The most awesomest after school special T-shirt:
    Front: UNO Chemistry Club
    Back: /\OH --> Bad Decisions

• FL-MiniMeFL-MiniMe Member Posts: 4

Instead of tossing out speculation, go look at the "Time Capsule" section to see what kind of attention to history and lore is going into the project. Have a look at a running conversation with one of the UI designers on the forums (though admitedly, with so many questions it takes a little time to find his responses, but they aren't one-liner replies, they're lengthy and give insight into how things are being designed, right now). Then to fill things out a little more, finish off with the FAQ and Ship Development Doc.

As for the MMO facet not being made unless the $5m stretch is reached; that isn't the case.  It says (30 months), as in: if they can raise 5m, they can afford to finish off what is needed within 30 months, instead of taking longer while raising additional revenue along the way and working on it bit by bit.

If this isn't someone's cup of tea, that's fine. I don't really see the point in discounting something before proof of failure, or at least some indication it will suck azz, manifests itself.  It seems a common sentiment just about everywhere I read anything on games.  The thing is, it can become a self fulfilling prophecy, so decent bit of the blame lies with nay-sayers when the majority of game AAA offerings we get on the PC now are console ports, or yet another clone of the same game with a different skin you just logged out of.

Dude is making a PC only game with a stake in the future of the platform, and hopefully shutting the douchebag analysts up in the process, who keep trying to tell me I'll be playing some lame iCrap game on my damned phone or other assorted non PC device. Thanks but no, you can go play Angry Birds all you like, I'll keep my computer with games I can mod, or old-school DOS games that still have better gameplay than most of what I've forgotten on my hard drive over the last few years, or I can have fun upgrading components for something like this game. Hadn't really had much reason to look at buying an Oculus Rift before this, or any form of gesture / motion tracking device, or an adapter for my flight stick and throttle since game ports don't exist anymore. But now it looks like I do, thankfully I'll also have a little time to save up.

/end mini-rant

• AlthewiseguyAlthewiseguy Member Posts: 108
    Originally posted by FL-MiniMe

Instead of tossing out speculation, go look at the "Time Capsule" section to see what kind of attention to history and lore is going into the project. Have a look at a running conversation with one of the UI designers on the forums (though admitedly, with so many questions it takes a little time to find his responses, but they aren't one-liner replies, they're lengthy and give insight into how things are being designed, right now). Then to fill things out a little more, finish off with the FAQ and Ship Development Doc.

As for the MMO facet not being made unless the $5m stretch is reached; that isn't the case.  It says (30 months), as in: if they can raise 5m, they can afford to finish off what is needed within 30 months, instead of taking longer while raising additional revenue along the way and working on it bit by bit.

If this isn't someone's cup of tea, that's fine. I don't really see the point in discounting something before proof of failure, or at least some indication it will suck azz, manifests itself.  It seems a common sentiment just about everywhere I read anything on games.  The thing is, it can become a self fulfilling prophecy, so decent bit of the blame lies with nay-sayers when the majority of game AAA offerings we get on the PC now are console ports, or yet another clone of the same game with a different skin you just logged out of.

Dude is making a PC only game with a stake in the future of the platform, and hopefully shutting the douchebag analysts up in the process, who keep trying to tell me I'll be playing some lame iCrap game on my damned phone or other assorted non PC device. Thanks but no, you can go play Angry Birds all you like, I'll keep my computer with games I can mod, or old-school DOS games that still have better gameplay than most of what I've forgotten on my hard drive over the last few years, or I can have fun upgrading components for something like this game. Hadn't really had much reason to look at buying an Oculus Rift before this, or any form of gesture / motion tracking device, or an adapter for my flight stick and throttle since game ports don't exist anymore. But now it looks like I do, thankfully I'll also have a little time to save up.

/end mini-rant

Good rant. Completely agree with you. 

• PainlezzPainlezz Member UncommonPosts: 646

Demo BEFORE retail or fail....

I'll continue to say this, video game developers need to start releasing demos PRIOR to retail purchase requirements.  Expecting consumers to drop 60 dollars on a product they've never had a chance to use, and offering NO refunds is horrible business practice.

Why do you think the Torrent / Pirate market is so huge?  You can try games for free, and only purchase the ones which are actually worth money to you.

On the other side, gamers (mostly the QQ masters on these forums) need to realize that if they pay 60 dollars and get 20 or more hours of gameplay they've already gotten the best entertainment deal for their money compared to just about anything else.

• FL-MiniMeFL-MiniMe Member Posts: 4

Good point on the pirating issue. I'm in that crowd as well, anything I'm considering a purchase on needs some form of test drive mechanic, long enough to properly evaluate the product. If the company doesn't find that a worthwhile endeavor, then it's getting downloaded through other means. With MMO's nowadays, many open up the game / world to all in Open Betas. That is usually enough time to get a solid feel for the game and make a decision if the full purchase is worth it, unless it's only one worthless weekend. It is unfortunate that another trend is creeping up where companies are including beta access in the pre-purchase. Dumb move in my opinion as it defeats the actual purpose of an open beta, which is chiefly load balancing / stress testing, and / or a much larger population to find those very elusive bugs that a closed beta might overlook without a widely expanded set of user hardware and software platform. Plus generating word of mouth and more open access for press coverage to the little guys.

There's also something to be said for a nice long wave of Closed Betas. I was in Turbine's Asheron's Call for a good 6 months doing testing before its release. During that time, you get to interact with the dev team and get a feel for where they want to take their product into the future. You also get invested more in its success, and tend to be more vocal about it in social settings. Think I spent a good 4 years at the very least, after it went gold. Came back a few times, but the number of botted characters was still too high so finally called it quits. Still ranks among my favorite experiences in my gaming life, and I'll always recommend it to people and refer to their commitment to deep storylines and constant meaningful updates (moreso before Microshaft took the reigns and derailed it).

Anyways, point is that devs making a choice to bring in potential subscribers / buyers before the game is in it's final buggy release state, only helps things. Post-release they can do trial periods, or use a F2P model -if done right, which is very rare.