Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: Surpassing Azeroth

1234568»

Comments

• Heretic451Heretic451 Member Posts: 69

All the modern day jokes and references truly showed me WoW was not a game for those who want to play a game for the purpose of being entertained entering another world.

I  finally decided never to go back as soon as I saw the first Harley drive by me. It's a freakin' cartoon. Might as well be playing in the My Little Pony universe. And now...lol.

Rift doesn't have that problem. It looks fantastic, and they haven't so far made it into a joke as WoW has done to itself.

• AusareAusare Member Posts: 850
    Yes because rifts cartoons are prettier than wow's cartoon. Sorry they are all cartoons. People just have preferences like mibe being harley is over priced crap compaired to honda.
  • sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Rift has too many issue and detractors to achieve this kind of  status.  While I personally do not like this game, I certainly appreciate what Trion is doing and wish them success.  I also understand the appeal of this game to others.   I don't want people to misunderstand due to the fact that I don't like this game, I truly wish Trion succeeds because I realize they are doing things the way many of us would like to see other manufacturers follow.
  • IfrianMMOIfrianMMO Member UncommonPosts: 252

Rift bashed WoW as Mac Bashes PC on it´s advertisements.

It gets pathetic after a while.

• KuinnKuinn Member UncommonPosts: 2,072
    Originally posted by CujoSWAoA

WoW has a spell over a lot of people who don't even know Rift exists.  People who don't come to this website and never will come to this website.  Who don't thirst for gaming news or information on "other titles".  Who have no interest in trying something else...  I've witnessed it on a personal level in several different individuals.

Rift will never have that.

And thats WoW's unfair advantage.

First page necro'd; this.

And even when they do look for something else, it does not matter if it's better in their own minds because they miss their friends, guilds, server communities and toons they have spent countless hours on in WoW, and they will return. That's why Blizzard can pour crap year after year on their customers and add only the bare minimum of content updates even when making millions and having limitless resources, the players simply cant leave their virtual lives behind and move on to something else, there's too much to walk away from.

• f0dell54f0dell54 Member CommonPosts: 329
    Originally posted by IfrianMMO

Rift bashed WoW as Mac Bashes PC on it´s advertisements.

It gets pathetic after a while.

What I find pathetic is that you have Hello Kitty Online as a played game in your profile.

• HrimnirHrimnir Member RarePosts: 2,415
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by lamsai
    Originally posted by Istavaan
    It's still an end game raiding mmo like wow. if they focused more on invasions instead of trying to be wow it would have been so much better.

not true you can get end game gear with the inscribed sourcestones from rifts and zone events from the epic planar gear merchant.it is just a huge time sink compared to raiding

People remember back when they played Rift back in it's early days, probably even before EI, and think that's what end game is like now.

Yeah that must be it, people with a distant one year old memory.  You talk like it was so long ago.

Even though they throw the ISS crowd a few bones under a huge grind (way way more than raiding for equivalent), it's still second servings compared to the raid stuff.  All of the very best stuff and real progression is locked squarely behind raiding even now.

Well, maybe I should have been clear. It's not about time, it's about the content added (In such a short period of time)

As far as the BiS raid stuff. So what? I'm one of those ISS people. That's how I've gotten my gear. And for the content I do, I'm as good as any top tier geared Raider. You think they kill mobs in Experts any faster than I do? No. You think the fact that their 2 shotting a level 50 standard world mob does more DPS than my 2 shotting a standard level 50 world mob makes much difference? No. The only place their top tier gear has any weight is in the top tier raids. Everywhere else, it's just overkill and provides little if any benefit.

I wish more people had your attitude.  I get so sick of the bullshit robin hood jealousy argument with raid gear.  Yeah, i know there are some elitist douche's that like to flaunt it in the face of the casuals, but to turn around and say that casuals should be able to get the same gear from soloing as raiders do from raiding is ridiculous.   As long as the developer is smart and doesnt allow that raid gear to give an advantage in PVP then the only advantage it gives outside of raiding is killing mobs.  And since even with dungeon gear overworld mobs are a total piece of cake, its like you said, killing it in 2.5 seconds vs 3 seconds or something like that.

"The surest way to corrupt a youth is to instruct him to hold in higher esteem those who think alike than those who think differently."

- Friedrich Nietzsche

• MurlockDanceMurlockDance Member Posts: 1,223

I have not played Rift since 3 months after release, not because I hated it, quite the contrary. I got involved in EQ2 for a year and then WoW since October, 2011 with a short deviation to ToR. I only had time to really play one game at a go so Rift fell under the radar. This column though whets my appetite as I search for something to replace WoW since I feel so deeply disappointed with MoP.

One thing I really miss from EQ2 is a customizable house and that is why Rift intrigues me again. I also really enjoyed the soul system, the rifts, and the gameworld. Your column brings to light some of Trion's attitudes towards development that make the game positive: these are attitudes that I wish developers had more often instead of having overly slow development time, and when they do develope something, it ends up changing so much that the original game gets lost somewhere along the way (ahem WoW and the talent system revamp).

I just hope that the original character of the game is not lost in Trion's changes. I think I will come back when I have a bit more time to see how things are in Rift. Thanks for the column pointing out something positive in the gaming industry. And kudos to Trion.

Playing MUDs and MMOs since 1994.

• TorqbowTorqbow Member Posts: 3

Good Article.

I have to agree with the writer.

• NeoCroX997NeoCroX997 Member UncommonPosts: 28

It is actually funny to see this article with 190 comments. I saw the other article for Wow:panda only had 42 comments. Right away when WoW get "acused" for being a less good game all WoW-players goes in defending position.

My view in this is, I think WoW has been successful in its age of time. But as we humans dont live forever, either do games. Dueing this time of F2P-games, P2P-games went to F2P-games not because it is free. It is  like "pay to win" basicly in most free games. There will always be some restrictions unless it has a subscribtion choice which grants you all access.

They found cash shops giving out more than subplayers, plus subplayers also using cash shops sometimes to recieve XP boost etc. It is just a way to earn extra money. It has affected P2P-games in a drastic path,  many P2P have gone F2P, more or less. For some people it is good and some thinks it is  bad. Well it does have its constitutes and positives. One reason is the restrictions when cash shop based and you will spend a lot more cash than the Sub-based. Though Cash shop-based offer to play the game for free and you can get a feeling about how the game is in your like or not.

I see it like when you have "open house". See how it is like inside and take a judgement out from that. Worse is if only cash shop-based, as many pure F2P-mmo´s are. It can be very frustrating only having good advantages from those using the cash shop compared to free playing . But the main reason for many sub-based mmo´s going F2P is to invite the players which we also will see a lot more, Though many fear if they will go completely onto F2P and destroying the gameplay.

That was a little out of the subject. Im just sad to see how WoW has evolved. It has been out so long and they could have done so much for the gameplay instead of expand and expand, as people told me. So many expansions which really didnt have any real new content too, and either in gameplay. For an old game it has been played of many people and  on the toplist and has done a good job as long it lasted. Lately not so successful. From the latest expansions panda I heard many was disappointed. Some actually felt it like a joke and that is one reason why people are leaving WoW.  

Rift, pleased to present the game I play now. And it grows quickly. And the funny part is. Many are old WoW players inside Rift, so I hear stories why they left the game and alot of them have same conclusion :Blizzard have squeezed the lemon more than it can take. Some I talked to played since beta. For me Rift reminds me a lot of Guild Wars in some part, which was the introduced me into gaming. The story is also great for its genre. There is no doubt Rift is a lot of group based gameplay with raids and such. And of cause the random rifts that appears around the world and invasions, and quick instances which revolutioned gamplay. The support is also really great, sometimes they come into the game live and take suggestions from players directly. Free choice of skill builds and good amount of roles. And not last, the expansion Storm Legion. The update will have more than WoW had together in contents same time, and really fast actually because the game is still young. In the other hand there are some constitutes about the crafting. Could be improved a lot more and it is boring. Another thing is the lag inside town. Also the races looks a lot the same, and the world is a bit small until Storm Legion arrives. 

Im not against WoW, there I said it. But the game´s superiour time is over and that is my point about my text. Rift is closing up fast and new games arrives, one better than the other. Soon there will be too many and the question is. How far will they go to attract players to each of their game ? 

Everything comes and goes, but evolution is here to stay.

• fivorothfivoroth Member UncommonPosts: 3,916
    Wow got pet battles which are quite cool tbh. So I Blizzard does work on new systems once in a while.

Mission in life: Vanquish all MMORPG.com trolls - especially TESO, WOW and GW2 trolls.

• maddhatter44maddhatter44 Member Posts: 78
    @ neocrox sorry bro, eye sore to max, doubt it anyone will read it completely!
  • JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672
    Originally posted by maddhatter44
    @ neocrox sorry bro, eye sore to max, doubt it anyone will read it completely!

I read it completely. It honestly doesn't take that long.

To me I think it's ironic, that a game with so many souls comes across as pretty soulless. It still feels like a paint by numbers game. You could say this about all progression mmo's, but some do manage to put something else in there either by a bit of hunour, graphic style, some quirky quests.

The only impression that Rift leaves me with is one of overall blandness, not helped by the dull graphic style. Playing it feels like putting on an overwashed shirt - Still fits, does the job, but little else.