Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

[Column] Rift: Surpassing Azeroth

Comments

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910
    Rift deserves blizzard does not.
  • zanebergeronzanebergeron Member UncommonPosts: 80

There are CASH shops and there are cash shops. There is big diference. TSW cash shop offers ONLY fluff items. Even Gw2 sells unfair advantage items like gems and other boosts

Sorry but how are boosts an unfair advantage to what.... pve, so someone gets a few more XP or such.  I don't see how these boosts really effect anyone else in game.  You can easily buy gems in the shop with ingame gold if you want.  No I am not a GW2 fanboi, I'm not any game's fanboi for the simple fact that every game I have played has it's likes and dislikes.  As long as my like list is longer than dislike I will play.

As for Rift it is one of those games that I neither hate nor praise, it is an ok game.

CURRENTLY PLAYING |GW2|
    PLAYED UO:SWG:EQ2:GW:WoW:CoH:Lotro:AoC:Vanguard:Horizons:RIFT:swtor:Shadowbane and I'm sure a few others
    WATCHING:EQ Next : Wildstar:Archage :WoD
    WISHING FOR: A UO Remake
    HAPPILY PLAYING ONLINE SINCE 97.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928
    Originally posted by zanebergeron

There are CASH shops and there are cash shops. There is big diference. TSW cash shop offers ONLY fluff items. Even Gw2 sells unfair advantage items like gems and other boosts

Sorry but how are boosts an unfair advantage to what.... pve, so someone gets a few more XP or such.  I don't see how these boosts really effect anyone else in game.  You can easily buy gems in the shop with ingame gold if you want.  No I am not a GW2 fanboi, I'm not any game's fanboi for the simple fact that every game I have played has it's likes and dislikes.  As long as my like list is longer than dislike I will play.

As for Rift it is one of those games that I neither hate nor praise, it is an ok game.

on top of that you get the exact same boosts from various things during your normal play through of them game.. and for me i don't see this much or any differn't than TSW it's just fluff stuff.. actually have more issue with TSW shop since you can't get CS items without spending real money(unless this has changed) not sure how Rift's handling there CS though haven't looked into it much

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• UnshraUnshra Member UncommonPosts: 381
    Originally posted by SoulStain
    Originally posted by Xiaoki

Its funny that you describe "Dynamic" as being a buzzword.

Merriam Webster - an important-sounding usually technical word or phrase often of little meaning used chiefly to impress laymen

Yeah, I'd say that accurately describes "dynamic". Especially when you consider that Rift(and GW2) has been criticized for how static its dynamic content is.

Also, yeah, everyone loves housing. Yay housing. But I would like to see how Trion works on it long term.

Trion seems to be only able to focus on one feature(thats not endgame PvE) at a time.

When Conquest was first introduced everyone made a huge deal about it. Now its largely ignored by the players and Trion, especially after they patched it so that its now more PvE based.

Also, when Conquest came out Chronicles and Instant Adventures were being ignored by Trion. Now Trion is focusing on Instant Adventures and ignoring Chronicles and Conquest.

So, are they going to do the same with Dimensions? Is this going to be yet another feature they introduce and promptly forget about?

I think you misquoted. Your definition of "dynamic" sounds like it came from the dictionary  of Dr Samuel Johnson.

Xiaoki was not providing the definition of "dynamic" but the definition of "buzzword" which accurately describes what "dynamic" is when it comes to MMO's.

Because flying a Minmatar ship is like going down a flight of stairs on an office chair while firing an Uzi.

• LurkersLurkers Member Posts: 20
    Hmmm i have to say i might give rift a chance one day if mop patches suck or the next expansion is not my likeing kind of love the fact its trying to fight wow head on from what i hear rift has a very riable sub numbers that pretty much stay the same because they are constanly coming out with content.it's worth a try atleast.
  • rmk70rmk70 Member UncommonPosts: 408
    I'm looking forward to very customizable housing - just hope it expands into player/guild run cities - even if it's instanced. 
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865
    Yes Trion does seemed to be very involved with their community and they are very eager to grow and add to their world which is great! We need more developers in the MMO community that respond like this, after all we are the ones putting food on their table with our own hard earned cash.

However, I do agree with a post above, there is something that feels off about the game. It doesn't play smoothly at all and the world, visiually, feels broken apart. In time I'm sure it will smooth out like WoW has over the years. I've definitely been keeping an eye on Rift and Trion, and I log in every now and then to check it out. I hope Trion keeps up the good work, they deserve it!

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• GhavriggGhavrigg Member RarePosts: 1,308

What I've gathered from this article is that, Dynamic events aside, Rift is doing everything World of Warcraft is doing and adding housing where Blizzard is against it in order to keep people in the cities and such.

If WoW had some sort of dynamic events system, Rift wouldn't even be a blip on the radar, to be honest.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,077

I really enjoyed RIFT during my time there, I could always go back and check it out one day but I'm content with GW2 and a side of SW:TOR as they both continue to grow. I am really interested in the housing system, I think that housing adds a whole new dimension (sorry) to gameplay for an MMO, because the original vision for MMO's are for them to be living, vibrant worlds that a players character is a person in. People own homes, people customize their homes inside and out extensively and having a piece of the gameworld for yourself is exciting. I love content that branches away from progression treadmills as the article said and I think it's very important for the longevity and community building of a game, I really do.

ArenaNet said they have big plans for housing in GW2, I hope they can at least match RIFT's diminsions because I could see myself going back soley to play around with dimensions in RIFT if I can't get my housing fix anywhere else.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by Aviggin

What I've gathered from this article is that, Dynamic events aside, Rift is doing everything World of Warcraft is doing and adding housing where Blizzard is against it in order to keep people in the cities and such.

If WoW had some sort of dynamic events system, Rift wouldn't even be a blip on the radar, to be honest.

Rift is WoW, WoW is Rift, which is why I can't understand why anyone bothers with Rift. Its got Tabula Rasa's rifts...but done worse, and gets old in a week. Literally nothing unique about it. But trying to be like WoW hasn't been a winning strategy for any MMO ever so... no surprise that Rift has had to merge servers.

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

WoW is #1 (subjective) because:

1)  Right place, right time.

2)  There are players that actually think WoW is/was the first/only MMO.

You totally have no idea why WOW was and is successful.  But that's OK, neither do all of the WOW clone developers.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by Aviggin

To be honest both games fill the PVE "endgame" niche in MMO's though Rift is the superior community IMO.

Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    Originally posted by MMOGamer71

WoW is #1 (subjective) because:

1)  Right place, right time.

2)  There are players that actually think WoW is/was the first/only MMO.

You totally have no idea why WOW was and is successful.  But that's OK, neither do all of the WOW clone developers.

Oh not not another "WoW clone arguement" you fail to realize WoW is a clone.  Too bad you didn't read the article as I mentioned to another poster or you would see it's thesis is how Rift is "uncloning WoW" and taking the lead.

[mod edit]

• JudgeUKJudgeUK Member RarePosts: 1,672

All Rift needs is.................flying mounts.

Like others, I am holding off paying for Storm Legion for a while. I don't know what it is, but Rift seems to have something lacking. Call it the x factor if you want, but it just doesn't seem to have character. Or maybe it's because it hasn't had the years of play that brings out the sentimental view of a game.

It still comes across as something developed by a committee ticking boxes on a spreadsheet.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,737
        My main complaint with Rift was that it just felt like they stole so much from WoW and Warhammer....To me it isn't beating WoW when you paste and copy alot of what they already did.....Rift's mantra was pretty much always "hey we are WoW in a different package" and that always just rubbed me the wrong way......ALso last I heard Rift didn't even have a million subs so how is that beating WoW at its own game?
    Originally posted by JudgeUK

All Rift needs is.................flying mounts.

Disagree flying mounts take players out of the MMORPG enviroment and make it a glamourized solo player game.  Did you notice world PvP in WoW (see Crossroads and Goldshire) died with flying?

But it sure makes a great marketing tool and gold sink...........oh look my mount can go 5200% speed with the next expansion.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Originally posted by Theocritus
        My main complaint with Rift was that it just felt like they stole so much from WoW and Warhammer....To me it isn't beating WoW when you paste and copy alot of what they already did.....Rift's mantra was pretty much always "hey we are WoW in a different package" and that always just rubbed me the wrong way......ALso last I heard Rift didn't even have a million subs so how is that beating WoW at its own game?

Both of those games take a lot from what went before, there is nothing wrong with taking things and improving/evolving them within your own game, and lets be honest here, there are only so many things you can do with fantasy based themepark MMO's beyond back story and lore, that Trion have still managed to make their own game, 'theirs' and still somehow 'uniquely' different in how it does things, is imo commendable, Rift might not be the next big thing, but its a valid game, and imo, it has more claim to that than other more recent 'contenders'

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Nice one, Bill, when I saw Tripping the Rift I really thought it'll be a column about the show :)
  • tawesstawess Member EpicPosts: 4,227

To be brutally honest anything less then "beating" WoW with a product that is 8 years younger would be a bleeding joke. For one... WoW can not really do any major changes because if it is one thing the average human being fears beyond anything else... it is change. WoW for better or worse is a slave to it's own population (just look at the reaction every time ANYTHING is changed) while Rift have the oppertunity to still define it's prison. Give it a few years and it will be stuck in a formula too. Not WoW's formula but a formula non the less.

They are playing the Blizzard game though by taking what they find to be the best parts of other games and improving them for their own (The public events Warhammer/Tabula Rasa, the build your house feature, City of Heroes  for an example) and they are playing it very well. So my hat goes off to them. Now personally they could paint my scrotum blue for all i care as i am kneedeep in games as it is and don't have time for another but i am glad to see that there are still some half-decent innovation out there.

This have been a good conversation

• Scott_JeslisScott_Jeslis Member RarePosts: 627
    Bill, continue your thought process and compare Rift to GW2 :-)
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,488
    Poor marketing campaigns aside, I think Rift is a superior game. My group is playing WoW right now because we hadn't before... and therefore it has a wealth of content. However, we're looking forward to going back to Rift when the expansion launches to see what Trion has done with it.
  • ZutchZutch Member UncommonPosts: 62
    to be truely honest , rift is booring , screw housing in my opinion , game has nothing innovative or exceptional , ok class system is nice , but pvp is terrible completly utter rubbish zergfist , it still has same derpy raiding style/dungeons/hc as wow has , so it offers no new play style , and the most annoying part , ITS A DAMN PC RESOURCES BEAST , rift graphics kinda nice , despite fact its dark gloomy emo  shaddy type , i hate it , but its sooo dull and bulky , and slows down and consumes LOTS of cpu/ram/gpu power , thats big downside for rift , it lags like shit pc/ping both sides ! mostly in raids ,and trion isdoing  nothing bout it , so no ,, i will still play wow , as its really smooth to play it and comfortable , and also about smoothness , character movment seems heavy , turing aqnd jumping , cast and channeling , it seems vry...HARD....and heavy to cast freely and fast paced way unlike wow , its waaay smoother and cooler in wow character's , my opinion afterall
    Originally posted by simlol12
    to be truely honest , rift is booring , screw housing in my opinion , game has nothing innovative or exceptional , ok class system is nice , but pvp is terrible completly utter rubbish zergfist , it still has same derpy raiding style/dungeons/hc as wow has , so it offers no new play style , and the most annoying part , ITS A DAMN PC RESOURCES BEAST , rift graphics kinda nice , despite fact its dark gloomy emo  shaddy type , i hate it , but its sooo dull and bulky , and slows down and consumes LOTS of cpu/ram/gpu power , thats big downside for rift , it lags like shit pc/ping both sides ! mostly in raids ,and trion isdoing  nothing bout it , so no ,, i will still play wow , as its really smooth to play it and comfortable , and also about smoothness , character movment seems heavy , turing aqnd jumping , cast and channeling , it seems vry...HARD....and heavy to cast freely and fast paced way unlike wow , its waaay smoother and cooler in wow character's , my opinion afterall

1)  Another nothing innovative about game XY or Z post.  Like pets battles? Pokemon has been doing that since what 1996?

2)  PvP on all PvE games suck including WoW which is a three class zerg fest - see rogue, hunter and frost mage.

3)  If your interested in PvP there are PvP games out there, somehow I feel this is a fabricated arguement and you don't PvP or you would be playing those strickly PvP games.

4)  If you have issues running Rift, check your CPU, GPU and RAM.

What has WoW "innovated" in the last three expansions?

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Benbrada
    Bill, continue your thought process and compare Rift to GW2 :-)

Why? That would just make gw2 look bad ;)

• VoidspawnVoidspawn Member UncommonPosts: 22

I agree 100% percent. Rift is a better game than WoW right now. WoW died after WotLK for me.

I had so much fun in Rift and I was sad when I couldn't renew my sub for personal reasons. Right now i'm playing Guild Wars 2 but the new expansion looks so good i'm thinking about resubbing and playing both at the same time :)

WoW on the other hand...*vomits*

Claire Gearhead - Level 80 Norn Engineer - Far Shiverpeaks (EU)