Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Im going to give TESO a second look

rungardrungard Member Posts: 1,035

I was thinking that in truth, DAOC was and still is the best rvr system that has ever existed. After a little reading i see that the TESO rvr system is really the daoc system with darkness falls as the main city. Ive also been reading on their combat model, and it is actually sounding really good to me.

So im going to look at this one as daoc 2 and not an elder scrolls game and give it another shot.

Whether they live up to it is another matter of course but time will tell.

i will add though that if i see this game pull anything like the TOA expansion for DAOC and make raiding a requirement for the best gear, i will drop this game like a stone.

Comments

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    When they first talked about it it sounded like daoc meets skyrim.

But since then, pressure from publishers or whatever, they've starred talking about instanced shite - pvp mini games, raids, instanced dungeons etc..

Instancing is neither daoc or tes. So I will hold judgement until later.

Wish they had the balls to go the no instancing whatsoever route, it would give the game something unique.

Also wish they'd gone no classes and took an eve like approach to character development
  • GreenishBlueGreenishBlue Member Posts: 263
    I won't give it a second look until I see what's the real deal. Gameplay or it didn't happen.

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Ive been doing the same as well.

My initial response was like many others: "Where the hell is my Skyrim Online?"

It definitely is not that, which is dissappointing. But that doesnt have to mean the game itself is bad for what it is. Some of the things they have talked about, like the RvR and a few other features sound very good. Other features not so much. Im kind of in the middle on it, but I am willing to at least give it a shot and not go in expecting "Skyrim Online" and try to enjoy what it does offer.

It seems to be going with a mix of GW2 combat & mechanics comdined with DAOC stuff. Both games I enjoyed a lot, so it could turn out quite impressive.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by rungard

I was thinking that in truth, DAOC was and still is the best rvr system that has ever existed. After a little reading i see that the TESO rvr system is really the daoc system with darkness falls as the main city. Ive also been reading on their combat model, and it is actually sounding really good to me.

So im going to look at this one as daoc 2 and not an elder scrolls game and give it another shot.

Whether they live up to it is another matter of course but time will tell.

i will add though that if i see this game pull anything like the TOA expansion for DAOC and make raiding a requirement for the best gear, i will drop this game like a stone.

Something I have been advocating people to do for the last few months.  I too was hugely and vocally upset at the announcement of TESO.  Then Zenimax started actually showing content and game systems and I started to see the light for what it was. 

As much as I loved Skyrim, and Oblivian (Didn't care much for Morrowind, mainly because I played it on the Xbox) I still didn't like alot of aspects about the game, (and I never modded the game to fix issues, im a purist like that).  TESO on the otherhand contains alot of what I like about the single player TES series, removing most of what I hate and adding it onto the back of what I considere the best PvP system to ever graced the MMO'verse (DAoC's RvR).  For "Me", TESO has everything I love about MMO's and am highly interested in seeing it to fruition.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• IIIcurrierIIIcurrier Member Posts: 88

Bethesda doesn't even know the or acknoledge the lore to The Elder Scrolls, aka they do not care about a game for gamers, they care about a game for the money and populace.

Dark elves are no friendly with Good elves, bethseda cannot even understand this. GL With Sh!t game.

Morrowwind, Oblivion and Skyrim are all very very crap and lacking games with out mods, if you enjoy them vanilla for the story sure, but even then there is lack in content and AI.

Bethseda makes crap. End of story.

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by IIIcurrier

Morrowwind, Oblivion and Skyrim are all very very crap and lacking games with out mods, if you enjoy them vanilla for the story sure, but even then there is lack in content and AI.

I don't agree with this at all.  I played those three games all the way through before modding them and I loved every minute!

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Originally posted by GwapoJosh

I don't agree with this at all.  I played those three games all the way through before modding them and I loved every minute!

Crave more content, you are what is wrong with the industry!

• GwapoJoshGwapoJosh Member UncommonPosts: 1,030
    Originally posted by GwapoJosh

Crave more content, you are what is wrong with the industry!

Lol  Each game has a shitload of content.. Far more than most single player games.

"You are all going to poop yourselves." BillMurphy

"Laugh and the world laughs with you. Weep and you weep alone."

Still lacking in general, even the wood chopping one minor thing to the enviroment was unlreastic, and appeasing and lacking in what you could actually do with the wood.

I had to mod in cold weather and other weather effects, ect.

LACKING. STAMP. LACKING.

• ShakyMoShakyMo Member CommonPosts: 7,207
    I really didn't like oblivion at all.
    Morrowind was awesome though and skyrim brought back most of the good.
  • BathnorBathnor Member UncommonPosts: 137
    I have always thought that a MMO that was set in the TES universe would be cool. Would love one where the world was as large as the original, TES: Arena. The gameplay of Arena/Daggerfall and the grafics of Skyrim. I honestly hope there are no instanced dungeons. I miss real dungeons where you might run into other people. I am not going to get my hopes up though, it sounds more like a WoW/DaoC clone wioth a few TES elements thrown in.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556

Right now the game seems to be DAoC meets WoW.

The last game that was DAoC meets WoW was WAR. Yuck.

If they get rid of instances and just make it DAoC 2, I'll play it.

• VidirVidir Member UncommonPosts: 963
    Love the elder scroll games, but will not play this since they are making it pvp game.
    Originally posted by Vidir
    Love the elder scroll games, but will not play this since they are making it pvp game.

You don't have to take part in the PvP, you know.

• ShadowedMareShadowedMare Member Posts: 30

I think it's worth stepping back and taking another look. I mean we haven't even seen gameplay so how can we judge it so harshly at this point? I know what we've been told isn't the greatest news; faction specific zones, no open world PvP, "unique" combat system, but we should hold off on the judgements. 

I also think a major reason why ZOS hasn't released any new info in a while is due to the poor response it recieved initially. Maybe they're reworking a few things based on how the community reacted earlier this year?

The Shadowed Mare - A Tavern North of Caldera and an Elder Scrolls Online Fansite and Forums.

• KalstarkKalstark Member Posts: 63
    how can u all give something a second look wen we barely know anything about the game? fanboys and haters, wow

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

Bethesda makes some really great RPG's.  The kind that pretty much no other company attempts anymore.  They aren't perfect, and certainly not as polished, but they come pretty close to capturing a lot of the magic that made old school table top RPGs so much fun.

If you ever come across a Daggerfall game manual, read the introduction titled "What's the Story?".  Or watch the making-of videos for Oblivion.  Basically, the people working at Bethesda tend to be role-players first, gamers second, and developers last.  It may not always make for most polished games, but it makes for great RP experiences.

You make me like charity

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

Bethesda doesn't even know the or acknoledge the lore to The Elder Scrolls, aka they do not care about a game for gamers, they care about a game for the money and populace.

Dark elves are no friendly with Good elves, bethseda cannot even understand this. GL With Sh!t game.

Really, that's what makes a game bad for you? Honestly, I know I'm in the wrong place altogether to point this out, but damn, what a nerd.

I can understand breaking immersion with crazy stuff like shamans from outter space (WoW), but if the game is good, I couldn't care less about whatever artistic freedoms they choose to take.

• asmkm22asmkm22 Member Posts: 1,788

I'm generally not a PvP kind of guy, but that's mostly because of how MMO's tend to impliment it with immersion-breaking FPS holdovers.  Stuff like Capture the Flag or Control Points or whatever, all in nice little instances with balanced maps so that each side more or less mirros the other.

I'm reserving judgement on TESO for now, but if they avoid that, then I might be interested.

You make me like charity

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Kalstark
    how can u all give something a second look wen we barely know anything about the game? fanboys and haters, wow

And then theres the people who are just plain cluelees about anything thats going on. Theyre even better!

When the game was announced, it sounded like TESO is nothing like TES games, theyre just using the lore. None of the mechanics / features that are the reasons why many people enjoy TES games.

The initital reacton by many was: "WTF, its WoW with TES lore, not Skyrim Online. Horrible"

But after getting over that initial feeling of them screwing up the IP, and taking a look at some of the other details theyve released, some are starting to realize that while it isnt "Skyrim Online", that doesnt make the game itself bad, and it also isn't just like WOW. Its shaping up to be more like a mix of GW2 and DAOC set in the world of Elder Scrolls.

Thats called giving it a 2nd chance and not blowing the game off purely because it wasnt what was expected for TESO.

• EntinerintEntinerint Member UncommonPosts: 868
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

And then theres the people who are just plain cluelees about anything thats going on. Theyre even better!

When the game was announced, it sounded like TESO is nothing like TES games, theyre just using the lore. None of the mechanics / features that are the reasons why many people enjoy TES games.

The initital reacton by many was: "WTF, its WoW with TES lore, not Skyrim Online. Horrible"

But after getting over that initial feeling of them screwing up the IP, and taking a look at some of the other details theyve released, some are starting to realize that while it isnt "Skyrim Online", that doesnt make the game itself bad, and it also isn't just like WOW. Its shaping up to be more like a mix of GW2 and DAOC set in the world of Elder Scrolls.

Thats called giving it a 2nd chance and not blowing the game off purely because it wasnt what was expected for TESO.

I have yet to see anything, having read/watched every single piece of coverage on this game, that would make me give it another chance.  Still hoping though...

Regardless, everything that came around after that initial blitz and horrible reaction was marketing spin, trying to backpedal and put out all the fires.  During the initial phases they couldn't talk enough about how much like WoW it was, then during E3 every other sentence was "just like single-player TES games."  Idk what was more cringeworthy, the abject truth of the initial blitz or the shameless lies of the follow-up.

Now they are gearing up, I'm sure, for a third attempt.  This will either include new marketing language regarding stuff they've already told us, now spun to make it sound more TES-y, OR they'll actually have something to show, like actual gameplay.

Either that or they'll announce its cancellation, hahaha!

Originally posted by asmkm22

I'm generally not a PvP kind of guy, but that's mostly because of how MMO's tend to impliment it with immersion-breaking FPS holdovers.  Stuff like Capture the Flag or Control Points or whatever, all in nice little instances with balanced maps so that each side more or less mirros the other.

I'm reserving judgement on TESO for now, but if they avoid that, then I might be interested.

Considering they're basing it off DAoC, it will be nothing like that.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

Well, I guess it's a good thing that they aren't allied with the "good elves" in TESO then. I'm assuming you mean the altmer when you say "good elves", who aren't all that good if you are familiar with the Elder Scrolls lore.

Actually for that matter, in Elder Scrolls, there are no good and bad races, just good and bad people.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

Sounds like someone doesnt even practice what they preach.  Check my sig, plenty of content that is TES stylized.  Of course the MMO version isnt going to be a "Skyrim Online"  because that would be foolish because many of the elements do not work, or dont do well in the MMO market.  From the boring TES combat, zero gear/skill progression and feelancing style gameplay (i.e. putting baskets over NPC's heads to steal their wares, or Killing NPC's that may or may not offer a storyline quest)  Theres even a guy here with the a sig showing Ulfric Stormcrow laying dead on the floor.  That shit doesnt work in an MMO when hundreds of thousands of players not getting to see content due to douchebaggery behavior.

Many of the elements that make TES style games fun have been incorporated into the MMO version with some changes to accomodate online play.  Seriously think about it, why hasnt there NEVER been an official TES mod to allow multiplayer?  Because it doesnt work.

The ONLY thing I am saddened about TESO is the removal of player housing, but they have already stated they would incorporate it into the MMO, just not at release.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.