Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This game is so good...

13»

Comments

• YakkinYakkin Member Posts: 919
    I think I might have considered buying this game if it had been a Co-Op RPG game, B2P of course.
  • ironhelixironhelix Member Posts: 448

The total lack of any world PvP in a game that is practically CRYING out for it just leaves me scratching my head. They write all this lore about these opposing factions and whatnot, and then do nothing with it. I tried it anyway, and it does have it's good points, but in the end, it's just boring. No challenge, no sense of adventure, and NO sense of inhabiting a living world. It's not even an MMO.

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    Originally posted by ironhelix

The total lack of any world PvP in a game that is practically CRYING out for it just leaves me scratching my head. They write all this lore about these opposing factions and whatnot, and then do nothing with it. I tried it anyway, and it does have it's good points, but in the end, it's just boring. No challenge, no sense of adventure, and NO sense of inhabiting a living world. It's not even an MMO.

I will say this,  A lot of people classify WOW as to the perfect MMO, and if that is the perfect or typical mmo than I am glad I am playing TSW.  I dont feel like I am dong the typical WOW or EQ2 grind, I feel the world of TSW is so much more interesting 

• CasualMakerCasualMaker Member UncommonPosts: 862

News flash! There actually are reasons why hardly anyone plays the Mordred server in DAoC (FFA PvP). EQ and EQ2 are both down to just one PvP server each. I've never played on Zek, but I have had a character or two on Nagafen; I got fed up really quick getting ganked by all the twinks (who then go whine on forums about how nobody want to play with them).

• adam_noxadam_nox Member UncommonPosts: 2,148
    Originally posted by coxyroxy

The problem is now that once you have tried GW2, you just dont want to pay a sub fee to these games that just dont address the issues the players have.

after playing GW2, I want to pay a subscription to something that has depth.  Not saying TSW is it, I haven't played it, I stumbled in here from the front page.  But I had to reply to this, because GW2 has polish and presentation, but it sets the bar very low in almost every other way.

• mgilbrtsnmgilbrtsn Member EpicPosts: 3,430
    Quality does not guarantee sales or popularity.  You see it all the time in just about every industry.  Just take a look at movies.  There are often movies that are clearly quality, well made films, and along comes something that is totally stupid, yet makes mad money.   ... The fact is that they are both driven by what people like or catches on. 

I self identify as a monkey.

• EscadaEscada Member Posts: 25
    Originally posted by CasualMaker

News flash! There actually are reasons why hardly anyone plays the Mordred server in DAoC (FFA PvP). EQ and EQ2 are both down to just one PvP server each. I've never played on Zek, but I have had a character or two on Nagafen; I got fed up really quick getting ganked by all the twinks (who then go whine on forums about how nobody want to play with them).

I've never quite understood those who role on a PvP server and complain about world pvp especially when there is usually a choice of a PvE server.  Having experienced my fair share of ganking I understand pvp servers aren't for everyone but why spoil other peoples fun? 

In my MMO gaming history I have taken part in many spontaneous pvp battles (world pvp) and it was some of the best fun I have had PvPing.  True it can become upsetting getting owned from time to time but it does spice things up.  WIthout world PvP a game seems to miss that edge.  

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163
    Originally posted by adam_nox
    Originally posted by coxyroxy

The problem is now that once you have tried GW2, you just dont want to pay a sub fee to these games that just dont address the issues the players have.

after playing GW2, I want to pay a subscription to something that has depth.  Not saying TSW is it, I haven't played it, I stumbled in here from the front page.  But I had to reply to this, because GW2 has polish and presentation, but it sets the bar very low in almost every other way.

Well, check out the free trial of TSW and see what you think.  Story is definitely deep in this game although content quantity is still a work in progress.  Still, it's a solid game, imho.

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    Originally posted by Ortwig
    Originally posted by KingJiggly
    Originally posted by Method01

Quests in TSW is very unique. Gw2 are not even close to that. Gw2 is great yes, but saying that gw2 got it all is a lie. 

I really think TSW did something special with the quests, which i hope other mmo's will look at. 

I haven't played TSW for some time now, but i think i will return in a near future. 

You go on google now. Congrats. I do that daily for school, so I don't care. The quests are not in any way special, I thought more with the legend of Zelda puzzles on my ds. 

The fact that they even exist in an MMO is notable.  Name one other MMORPG that actually asks you, the player, to figure something out in order to complete the mission.  I can name one: Myst Online -- now that's niche.

Agreed. But that doesn't make questing in tsw unique in any way. Having riddles is cool, but the day I see an MMO with real puzzles (Zelda is the perfect example) then I will say they are unique. I can do brain teasers daily just by talking to people. This is not in any way make tsw unique. 

Originally posted by Bronq

Quests in TSW is very unique. Gw2 are not even close to that. Gw2 is great yes, but saying that gw2 got it all is a lie. 

I really think TSW did something special with the quests, which i hope other mmo's will look at. 

I haven't played TSW for some time now, but i think i will return in a near future. 

You go on google now. Congrats. I do that daily for school, so I don't care. The quests are not in any way special, I thought more with the legend of Zelda puzzles on my ds. 

What do you mean with "[y]ou go on google now"?

I was using to google as a verb, meaning to basically look something up online. You are not limited to just Google as the main search engine of course, you may use yahoo, bing, or whatever to your hearts content. So what I was saying was "Congratulations (sarcastically of course), you now use the Internet in conjunction with the game, you never really solve the puzzle nor does it challenge you in any way, it just forces you to minimize go on the Internet, and get your answer... Which I am doubly sure you will not remember afterwards becuase you didn't learn it, you just copy and pasted it."

• OrtwigOrtwig Member UncommonPosts: 1,163

I was using to google as a verb, meaning to basically look something up online. You are not limited to just Google as the main search engine of course, you may use yahoo, bing, or whatever to your hearts content. So what I was saying was "Congratulations (sarcastically of course), you now use the Internet in conjunction with the game, you never really solve the puzzle nor does it challenge you in any way, it just forces you to minimize go on the Internet, and get your answer... Which I am doubly sure you will not remember afterwards becuase you didn't learn it, you just copy and pasted it."

Ummm.....  I don't intend to be mean, but do you understand why a philosophy about Googling content and pasting it into your homework without learning the material is really kind of a bad thing?  I mean, if you really place such a low value on true learning and thinking, do you understand why people might not take your opinion too seriously?  Sure, we could all CHEAT at the game, but some of choose to actually think and figure it out.  There's lots of tips on the forums for looking up information without just getting the answer.  And yes, that's kind of cool. 

• ScalplessScalpless Member UncommonPosts: 1,426

Figuring things out IS cool, but what about the MMO part? I don't think anyone has ever bashed TSW for its quests. The quests are great. However, what about everything else? What do you do after you've completed the 20 or so investigation missions and the main story? Oh, right, you go run on that gear treadmill. I don't wanna!

I've seen the "it's too sophisticated for the dumb masses" argument thrown around a lot on this forum, and to be honest I think it's idiotic. Based on what I've seen, people love the sophisticated parts of TSW. I know I do. What I don't love is the dumb gear grind that comes afterwards. Trying to find a party for a dungeon and not being able to, because everyone else is on the second stage of the hamster wheel is not my idea of fun.

• BronqBronq Member Posts: 5

Then every game is intrinsically meaningless since there's always a plethora of cheats readily available for you to use.

• Method01Method01 Member UncommonPosts: 128

Easy to see that you are still in school tbh.. 

I didn't Google the quests in TSW, because i liked to solve the quests by myself. Questing in TSW is unique for an mmo. Period! Nuf said!

No more  comments from you plz.

• Kaelano1Kaelano1 Member Posts: 375

Then every game is intrinsically meaningless since there's always a plethora of cheats readily available for you to use.

true true and true. i was the guy carefully detailing drops eq era for kunark and velious. i was paid back with sold friends,guildmates accounts so my efforts to be top were jank. i thought i was being cool.

i'll still detail how to win when asked as i have recently in many games, but to what end? it becomes a matter of spoils online so people don't have to try.

nothing to argue here. some are those who blaze the path, some are those who capitalize. nothing really new.

will we see an mmo that intentionally changes content to foil spoilers? i'd be on that like a fat kid on cake. i love a challenge.

• ste2000ste2000 Member EpicPosts: 6,194
    I am glad you stick with it, but believe it or not to me TSW gameplay is way too generic.
    Yes the setting are original, some of the quests are different, but the overall experience is not any different from any other Themepark.
    Funcom didn't try hard enough, they should have made the game more sandboxy, which together with the nice puzzle-quests and awesome settings, would have made the game interesting indeed.
    Instead what we have here is a Themepark with Lovecraft settings.
    A missed chance IMO.

Easy to see that you are still in school tbh.. 

I didn't Google the quests in TSW, because i liked to solve the quests by myself. Questing in TSW is unique for an mmo. Period! Nuf said!

No more  comments from you plz.

My point about me using it in school is becuase I am taking college lvl courses in high school. I have to use it, so me doing again for a game is not fun for me. 

And my point wasn't that it is meaningless, it just doesn't make the game better than what it really is. They are not puzzles, they are merely simple brain challenges that you either get or don't, a lot you can't figure out in game and forces you to google it. Those aren't puzzles. I like tsw, it is a decent enough game, but going in and saying tsw quests make this game amazing is like saying gw2 dynamic events makes it amazing or special. They don't.