Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This is why TERA combat is better than GW2

12345679»

Comments

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by GrayGhost79
    Originally posted by Yamota
    Originally posted by charlizd
    Not to rat on Tera but i hardly see that fight as skill, to me i doubt you even need to be an accomplished Tank to do it, all it was was hit, hit, hit, roll to the side, hit, hit, hit, roll to the side, nothing epic about it, again not ratting on Tera or saying GW is better as i could personally care less, just don't see that as a skilled player at all, just someone who rolls out of the way at the most obvious time and rinse and repeat.

Have you done it? If not I dont think you can say that it does not take skill because that dragon hits HARD and has some nasty cone based tail sweeps as well. More over, as TERA's skills lock you in place, you have to time your skills right or you will get hit in the middle of your skill execution.

In any case, the point is that in GW 2 it cannot be done, period. There is no amount of skill that allows for anyone to take down a champion mob and for me that is fundamentally poor design. Combat should always be first decided by the skill of you as a player and secondly decided by gear, character stats and so on. In TERA that is the case, in GW 2 it is not.

I and others take down champion mobs solo constantly. And counter to what you believe it isn't all based on dice rolls. 

Though I will admit it is harder to do so in GW2. The mobs move faster and hit fairly hard so it takes a bit more skill to do than soloing something like that BAM in TERA. 

You are free to continue to believe what you wish, but ... there is a reason those of us here in the GW2 forums prefer GW2 lol. You may have been better recieved on the TERA forums. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ydc3NOsDmg0

Not my video, just did a quick search of someone soloing a champion. I may fraps a fight later and post it but it's not high on my list of priorities lol. 

In GW2 there is no dice roll lol, it is skill first. 

I agree - Tera has dice rolls and I played TERA beta and one month before quitting. You can see that in the damage, etc that occurs. Also the MOB AI on Tera is terrible. If the mob is of the same type they all attack and use the skills the exact same way. There is no variance. It is pretty easy to figure out and deal with . In GW2, the mobs skills are more randomized but you can tell what skill will be used (especially a specific mob skill) by the tell beforehand.

Tera would have been great, if they didn't put all the money into the prettiness of it and not the mechanics.

• DraemosDraemos Member UncommonPosts: 1,521
    Originally posted by Zylaxx

Wow didn't expect this thread to become so big. Anyway, to address some of the posts here.

1. Those of you who say it is "easy" to solo kill a BAM and you are expected to be able to do it. Have you even played TERA? BAM's, at high level, are no way easy to kill and the only reason the warrior can do it is because it is a master in evading, IF you got the skills for it. Something which is not possible in GW 2 because you got two evades and then you are out of endurance so you can't do it consistently.
    2. Those of you who say it is "slow", well those BAM's hit for alot so 2-3 hits and you are dead so it has to be slow, otherwise the only way to kill one is by Zerging which btw is the only way to kill Champion mobs in GW 2.
    3. TERA's combat is pure aim based, meaning you can't target mobs as you can in GW 2 so it takes more skill to do it well in TERA. GW 2 combat is mostly about your gear and handling cooldowns, there is no aiming here, just getting in range.
    4. In TERA you can tank, if you are good, in GW 2 you can't tank, regardless of how good you are.
    TERA's combat IS superior to GW 2's. Keep in mind that I said in my original post that GW 2 is the superior game of the two and that is because MMO's is not all about combat.

Yup, never made it past level 7 in the betas but my buddy let me playtest his level 40ish Slayer and I easily defeated every BAM I came across.  It painfully easy to do and even worse knwoing someone who has less then 3 hours total gametime is able to do it.  The funny thing is I just mashed buttons and dodged easily avoidable telegraphed moves.

For the same reason that Tera is bad is the same reason why I hate on WoW now, being able to kill deathwing within 2 days after being gone for 2 years is the epitome of bad gameplay.  WoW and Tera have alot in common, both super easy boring questing system and painfully easy combat.

Nobody likes a liar, and you're a liar.

• zimboy69zimboy69 Member UncommonPosts: 395

there was nothing in the vid  (well the first few mins i watched ) that made me  want to play terra 

i looked at back ground and  the action

nothing i saw made it any better than gw2  now either  i was missing  somthing   but it  did look  like they were using the same skill over and over and just moving out of the attack 

most of my battles in gw2 are using   multiple skills  and  combat rolls  with weapon swaps  and  times i have to run and  times i attack like a demon  

i have  to constantly watching mobs and react to  attacks  and watch for adds

the  small amount of skills  actualy help me to really learn how to play my character

but  from what i saw the game looks good  but  its not worth the subscription over gw2  and certainly not worth me swapping to 

• TwoThreeFourTwoThreeFour Member UncommonPosts: 2,155
    Originally posted by JoeyMMO
    I'm not a fan of being rooted in place when performing a skill. I guess I'm spoiled from previous games I played. I don't think I'll ever go back to that type of combat. Also the AI of the champion mob from that video is very disappointing. I'm not saying that it's better in GW2, but when you can kill anything in TERA when you're "good", how is that still challenging instead of just plain boring?

Theoretically, if it requires a lot of precision and reflexes to the extent that only a few people on the servers will be able to kill everything solo and only after a lot of practice, then yeah that is challenging. Whether or not TERA lives up to that, is a different matter. 

• IPolygonIPolygon Member UncommonPosts: 707

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLyCesCR2I0&feature=g-vrecWhat that guy is doing would be the equivalent of a melee in GW 2, killing a lvl 80 champion mob by himself. It cannot be done because GW 2 has hybrid skill based and most of the combat is by dice rolls. However in TERA, if you are good enough, you can pretty much beat anything with a Warrior class.And for you people who think locking you in place is bad, that is intentional. It makes the combat more skill-based as you have to time your attacks.So to be clear here, I do think GW 2 is a superior overall game to TERA but I really miss the combat in the latter one. It is far more based on your skills than anything else.

I think you are confusing something: there are no dice rolls in GW2, only dodge rolls. Also, combat mod for GW2 blows your Tera out of the water. Try it.