Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion does housing above and beyond

Comments

• IechinokIechinok Member UncommonPosts: 14
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    It seems like this game has no identity.  It's like they are adding different features that people like, but don't really have an overall design philosophy.  I mean, they started out as a WOW clone with a tiny world and so so art (my opinion).  Then they added a third faction and now housing.  I'm not sure trying to be all things to all people is going to work.  The time spend broadening the focus of the game means less time adding content to the original core of the game.

Bit inaccurate here...  Rift still only has 2 factions.  Some of the major restrictions between the 2 factions have been lifted.  For instance, I believe there's the possibility to recruit guild members across factions.  I think you might be referring indirectly toward the 3-Faction Conquest pvp that they added a while back.

People have been complaining that there wasn't enough of an RPG element, so they answered with possibly some of the *best* housing I've ever actually seen.  There's also talk of them allowing a player-run economy system based on the housing, complete with player-spawned vendors.  As for instancing, with the things you seem capable of building in the housing system, I can understand it.  If the feature takes off with enough of a reception, we might see a move away from some of the instancing of it, and could possibly have entire towns or cities that are entirely player-made. A very interesting direction that housing could go, if you ask me.

I agree that the art in Rift isn't exactly the best, although they've definitely improved in designing gear toward the later levels. There needs to be a few more truly vibrant places; moreso than just Ember Isle.

From the start (apart from their lack of playable races), the overall design philosophy of Trion was to give the player more choices, and it's almost overwhelming with everything you can actually do in the game, even though it's only been out for little more than a year or so.  Hopefully they'll add in more playable races.  I'd truly *love* to be able to play as one the many creatures that stream out of those rifts.

Also, they've been adding PvE content rather regularly, and have even announced that they're going to devote more time to PvP, so the danger of spreading content too thinly due to adding something that's akin to another profession in nature is almost laughable...

Overall, though, I feel that they really *should* focus more on the Rift aspect of the game.  Something like Exploration Rifts, where you could possibly take a glimpse inside the different elemental planes would go far in that aspect.  Hopefully we'll see something like this after Storm Legion's released.

• itgrowlsitgrowls Member Posts: 2,951
    looks nice but are they making these items to fill the homes easily obtainable? do they give you items from quests or dungeons for lore purposes so you can show off where you've been and what you've done? can you catch more then just fish from fishing to add to your trophies in home?
  • ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    Originally posted by Icewhite
    Originally posted by Raventree
    This is already the coolest "housing" system I have ever seen.

Coming next week: Blizzard announces pending completion of its long-awaited housing project...to be added in MOP's second year...

Chuckle.  I'm far too cynical sometimes.

Cynical perhaps, but as usual, Blizzard rips most good things from other MMORPG's. It really would not surprise me if you're right here ;-)

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Reizla

Cynical perhaps, but as usual, Blizzard rips most good things from other MMORPG's. It really would not surprise me if you're right here ;-)

Naw, they've been sitting on that once-promised since their Beta.  Someone high up at Bliz is pretty firmly against it...could be poor hardcoding in their original engine that makes the project somehow harder than it needs to be for cost-effective.

Too obvious an idea for next-big-project to be passed over so many times, otherwise.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885

Looks and sounds great but it's instanced, that's my only gripe but it's not game breaking for me.I like Vanguard housing but i also like EQ2 which is also instanced.

I will buy the expansion and give Trion mass props for content  updates and customer service.

• RimmersmanRimmersman Member Posts: 885
    Originally posted by Reizla
    Originally posted by Raventree
    This is already the coolest "housing" system I have ever seen.

Coming next week: Blizzard announces pending completion of its long-awaited housing project...to be added in MOP's second year...

Chuckle.  I'm far too cynical sometimes.

Like Blizzard are the only dev to rip features from other MMOs , that's just delusional " i hate wow" thinking. As for player housing , you wont see it in WOW.

• BrotherDBrotherD Member Posts: 52
    Originally posted by Inlor
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I prefer non instanced housing. But I would take instanced housing over no housing any day. Being able to customize the music, weather, and time of day is a bonus to instanced housing and I'm glad Trion added those features. I'm looking forward to having a vendor there in future updates as well.

We had it in LOTRO, and after some initial excitement, people just used them as personal bank vaults, and they lame.  A lot of people just stopped using them completely like I did because there was no acual reason to go there.

This.

I own a house in LotRO, but actually went there only once. There's no point to it, as long as you have free bank space. There are no other players around and no one cares about your trophies or house deco but you.

I am happy for Rift players who like the idea of instanced housing, but honestly: to call THIS housing, is insulting the real housing in games like UO, SWG oder MO.

Having played UO for about 10 years, I think I am spoiled when it comes to housing. I will never enjoy instanced housing. UO simply was ingenious in lots of ways. Housing gave players something to do, starting from running around and searching for a free spot, trading real estate at the West Bank Britain, customizing your house with hundreds of different objects, setting up vendor shops, playing gardener and last but not least supporting open pvp by the whole concept of IDOCs.

Oh and I forgot: while sitting in your house and doing some stuff, seeing players running around, perhaps checking out your vendors, gave you the feeling of actually living in a real world.

My thoughts excatly.

Currently playing: AoC, RIFT, Champions Online, DDO, LORTO, STO and Tribes: Ascend
    Have Played: TSW, SWG, AO, EVE, WOW, EQ, EQ2, SW:TOR, GW,CoH, DCUO, RotMG, WAR,

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491
    Originally posted by BrotherD
    Originally posted by Inlor
    Originally posted by MindTrigger
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I prefer non instanced housing. But I would take instanced housing over no housing any day. Being able to customize the music, weather, and time of day is a bonus to instanced housing and I'm glad Trion added those features. I'm looking forward to having a vendor there in future updates as well.

We had it in LOTRO, and after some initial excitement, people just used them as personal bank vaults, and they lame.  A lot of people just stopped using them completely like I did because there was no acual reason to go there.

This.

I own a house in LotRO, but actually went there only once. There's no point to it, as long as you have free bank space. There are no other players around and no one cares about your trophies or house deco but you.

I am happy for Rift players who like the idea of instanced housing, but honestly: to call THIS housing, is insulting the real housing in games like UO, SWG oder MO.

Having played UO for about 10 years, I think I am spoiled when it comes to housing. I will never enjoy instanced housing. UO simply was ingenious in lots of ways. Housing gave players something to do, starting from running around and searching for a free spot, trading real estate at the West Bank Britain, customizing your house with hundreds of different objects, setting up vendor shops, playing gardener and last but not least supporting open pvp by the whole concept of IDOCs.

Oh and I forgot: while sitting in your house and doing some stuff, seeing players running around, perhaps checking out your vendors, gave you the feeling of actually living in a real world.

My thoughts excatly.

non-instanced housing maybe good for PvP MMO's like UO, but not for PvE MMO's

If I do not play for a bit, I still want my house there, just the way I left it in a PvE MMO.

And for players that feel there is no point (remember that should end with "to or for  you"), you need to see this: 

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=425022

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=434626

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=448769

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=429601

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=478872

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=425006

These are from EQ2, some players relly want and like housing, and for players that put this much in to a house to make it a home (imo) instanced is best (no one wants to return to a MMO if you know that the home you put loving care into will be gone and all of thier items will be creatted up (no one wants to have to do the layout again, if they even can fine a new home, in non-instanced housing MMO)

The pics are from: Nefaria Darksoul, she did Custom Home Designs, and (most likly) not for free.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=442201

For EQ2 it helped creat/stabilize a player driven economy.

So if you are still saying "whats the point?" the anwser is "Becouse players want it !" and no one ever said: "If this MMORPG ever gets player housing, I'm never going to play again!".

Enjoy it if you want, and if you do not want to use it, well don't, but don't gripe about it being there, in any form.

/drop mic, and walks of stage

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    It seems like this game has no identity.  It's like they are adding different features that people like, but don't really have an overall design philosophy.  I mean, they started out as a WOW clone with a tiny world and so so art (my opinion).  Then they added a third faction and now housing.  I'm not sure trying to be all things to all people is going to work.  The time spend broadening the focus of the game means less time adding content to the original core of the game.

Come on Frod, are you criticizing for being too much like the other guys, or not enough?

I think what we're seeing is a couple of attempts to capture the Disaffected, found here and elsewhere.  We're got a wow clone, that everyone busted our balls for making, we need to go in a different direction.  Why don't we make a few of those things everyone complains the loudest that wow doesn't have?

Rift just lacks its own identity and has from the start.  It's a game that was made to try to grab unhappy WOW players with tacked on lore.  It's just very strange to me how they tack on things left and right trying to grab people.  It's like they have no real vision of their own.

That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's just the strangest way to design an MMO.

• koboldfodderkoboldfodder Member UncommonPosts: 447

The game is a solo, theme park game.  If you are looking for instanced housing to somehow create a more social atmosphere, well that is just not going to happen.  LOTRO has a much more scaled down instance housing and every single housing instance on every single server is a dead ghost town.

It's not the system that is the problem, it is the direction of the game.

EQ2 also has a very well done instanced housing system and a guild system, and it's the same thing as LOTRO....dead, everywhere.

People solo level, then just play the dungeon finder and log off.

SWG had an open world, free building atmosphere with a player driven economy.....so of course the housing system worked great in that game.

• ArkainArkain Member UncommonPosts: 491

Come on Frod, are you criticizing for being too much like the other guys, or not enough?

I think what we're seeing is a couple of attempts to capture the Disaffected, found here and elsewhere.  We're got a wow clone, that everyone busted our balls for making, we need to go in a different direction.  Why don't we make a few of those things everyone complains the loudest that wow doesn't have?

Rift just lacks its own identity and has from the start.  It's a game that was made to try to grab unhappy WOW players with tacked on lore.  It's just very strange to me how they tack on things left and right trying to grab people.  It's like they have no real vision of their own.

That doesn't mean it's a bad game, it's just the strangest way to design an MMO.

An MMORPG's identity is (imo) in the lore, RIFT has a lot of really good lore, but it is all in the game and now days very few read anything in any game.

TSW had an issue that some players found the quest to hard, but this was becouse they did not really read the quest, they just picked up key words and went of that.

When they could not compleat the quest, they started saying that quest in TSW where too hard.

RIFT cloned World of Warcraft in system, which is a EverQuest and Warhammer clone, which are clone of D&D.

Not a bad linage, if you ask me.

• MMOGamer71MMOGamer71 Member UncommonPosts: 1,988
    Originally posted by koboldfodder

The game is a solo, theme park game.  If you are looking for instanced housing to somehow create a more social atmosphere, well that is just not going to happen.  LOTRO has a much more scaled down instance housing and every single housing instance on every single server is a dead ghost town.

It's not the system that is the problem, it is the direction of the game.

EQ2 also has a very well done instanced housing system and a guild system, and it's the same thing as LOTRO....dead, everywhere.

People solo level, then just play the dungeon finder and log off.

SWG had an open world, free building atmosphere with a player driven economy.....so of course the housing system worked great in that game.

Well said.  Until developers stop making MMORPG's solo player games with an instance finder the tread will continue.

• RaventreeRaventree Member Posts: 456
    Originally posted by Azaron_Nightblade
    Originally posted by marcust

It looks good but its no UO.

UO had the same creativity, but in common areas and allowed you to set up vendors (no auction houses) which motivated people to browse around.

Put a subset of this into common areas with vendors and I'd seriously consider it.

So how does this workl? Can we buy our own instanced area and customize it? :O

If that's the case I think I might actually finally give in and get that game.

I think that is exactly how it works.

Currently playing:
    Rift
    Played:
    SWToR, Aion,EQ, Dark Age of Camelot
    World of Warcraft, AoC

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by ShenjShimpo
    sry to break it for ya buddy but archeage does all that ten times better....and oO u can build ships too
    Hey thanks for the heads up! I'll be sure to check that out in 3 years or so.
  • FelixMajorFelixMajor Member RarePosts: 865

Last Game I played that had housing was EQ2 and although it was fairly basic, it adds to much more to the game and the player's experience of the world.  With a system like this, I could get lost for hours just messin around with my own personal space.  Also, it would create a whole new sub profession and classes if people could craft furniature and other objects for dimensions.

I seriously don't see why every mmo developer does not see this as a crucial part of an mmo world.  It's just such a great thing, no matter what type of player you are (pvp, rp, pve, hard core raider, casual gamer) whatever it is, pretty much everyone will find excitement in being able to create their own place of refuge.

Originally posted by Arskaaa
    "when players learned tacticks in dungeon/raids, its bread".

• CultOfXtcCultOfXtc Member Posts: 378
    Originally posted by marcust

It looks good but its no UO.

UO had the same creativity, but in common areas and allowed you to set up vendors (no auction houses) which motivated people to browse around.

Put a subset of this into common areas with vendors and I'd seriously consider it.

I remember that, wandering around finiding a hop in a remote area with bargain itesm on it.  Was awesome.

THE SECRET WORLD - PAY ONCE PLAY FOREVER - Give it a go!

http://www.thesecretworld.com/buy/

OR PM ME FOR A BUDDY KEY (need your email address).

• WhackoWhacko Member UncommonPosts: 137
    It's a step in the right direction, but instanced housing kinda sucks....
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Originally posted by Icewhite Originally posted by FrodoFragins It seems like this game has no identity.  It's like they are adding different features that people like, but don't really have an overall design philosophy.  I mean, they started out as a WOW clone with a tiny world and so so art (my opinion).  Then they added a third faction and now housing.  I'm not sure trying to be all things to all people is going to work.  The time spend broadening the focus of the game means less time adding content to the original core of the game.
    Come on Frod, are you criticizing for being too much like the other guys, or not enough? I think what we're seeing is a couple of attempts to capture the Disaffected, found here and elsewhere.  We're got a wow clone, that everyone busted our balls for making, we need to go in a different direction.  Why don't we make a few of those things everyone complains the loudest that wow doesn't have?

Rifts community is its identity (love it or hate it) And they are the ones asking for all these "tacked on" features. Good on Trion for building a game their customers want. I really dont get the whole tacked on comment. Most of the systems they have added are fairly robust and expand the game. People see what they want to see I guess. Myself included haha

• william0532william0532 Member Posts: 251

Thats pretty cool. I wonder if guilds will be able to build in one instance?(kinda sad if no one will ever see your work), also if they add vendors so you can get people to go to your instance would be a nice feature.

None the less the system for building the house, looks pretty damn fun.

• TheBigDRCTheBigDRC Member Posts: 162

I don't plan on going back to Rift, but I gotta say, that's impressive. Instanced or not, it is refreshing to see a developer take the initiative like that and not come up with some BS excuse.

Hopefully and with some luck, this will get the attention of future MMOs and expand upon it.

You know what's fun about chaos? I do, but I won't tell.

• Loke666Loke666 Member EpicPosts: 21,441
    Originally posted by Hydros13
    Sadly it is instanced housing... Wildstar is doing housing above (Literally) and beyond.

That is cooler but really hard to implement in an already released game. The only possibility is really to only allow it in new zones or totally revamp the game.

Nah, for a released game this was probably the best choice, adding none instanced housing would use too much resources from other parts of the game.

• InlorInlor Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by Arkain

non-instanced housing maybe good for PvP MMO's like UO, but not for PvE MMO's

If I do not play for a bit, I still want my house there, just the way I left it in a PvE MMO.

And for players that feel there is no point (remember that should end with "to or for  you"), you need to see this: 

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=425022

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=434626

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=448769

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=429601

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=478872

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=425006

These are from EQ2, some players relly want and like housing, and for players that put this much in to a house to make it a home (imo) instanced is best (no one wants to return to a MMO if you know that the home you put loving care into will be gone and all of thier items will be creatted up (no one wants to have to do the layout again, if they even can fine a new home, in non-instanced housing MMO)

The pics are from: Nefaria Darksoul, she did Custom Home Designs, and (most likly) not for free.

http://forums.station.sony.com/eq2/posts/list.m?topic_id=442201

For EQ2 it helped creat/stabilize a player driven economy.

So if you are still saying "whats the point?" the anwser is "Becouse players want it !" and no one ever said: "If this MMORPG ever gets player housing, I'm never going to play again!".

Enjoy it if you want, and if you do not want to use it, well don't, but don't gripe about it being there, in any form.

/drop mic, and walks of stage

First of all, UO was not a PvP game in a sense of Darkfall Online. UO had a great pvp system, yeah, but there was so much more to do, that it would be unfair to reduce it to the term "pvp game".

Second: No one could mess with your house while you were gone. When returning after a break, it would look exactly the same way, as you left it (provided you didn't cancel the sub; if I remember correctly there was a 3-month timer before it went IDOC; so most players resubbed at least every three months).

Well I admit, a instanced housing system is always better than no housing system at all. And I also willingly admit, that there seem to be players, which consider THAT a good housing system. Mainly, I think, because they never experienced a non instanced version.

However, you say "because players want it". I can not confirm this. To me it seems, the majority wants a housing system in common areas. Not only in this forum (they are all hardcore MMO nerds anyways), I see this a lot in LotRO forums too. There are dozens of threads to give the housing system some meaning. And most players I know don't "use" their houses at all. Even kinship houses aren't used frequently.

Lastly, I would like to say that I do not want to spoil this for you! If it sounded that way, I apologize! I am happy for you, I simply wished they would implement a "real" housing system. After Aion that would have been another AAA-game that would have gone down that road.

• IAmMMOIAmMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,462
    Besides owning one, designing it and having some friends over, what purpose do they serve? I doubt its housing in any useful  way, like it was in Ultima online & SWG. Housing was more than just a a place to look at, you really did live in it and use it in UO and SWG.
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048

Everquest 2 was nothing like LotRO except being instanced. In Everquest 2 when I played it people came to my house to buy things all the time. I would get random tells about my home all the time. Plus it was in a busy street and there were people outside chatting too when I played a few years back not too sure how it is now though. It was not in a separate instance like how it is in LotRO meaning an instanced housing area like a housing estate only the house itself was instanced in EQ 2.

LotRO yes I agree the housing areas were indeed dead but EQ 2 had theirs in the towns so there were always folk outside your house who could come in and look at your place at any time or buy things off your shelves and racks and I got tells asking me where I got this and that seriously at least once a week.

I tell you the community behind the housing stuff in Everquest 2 was simply stupendous you could hire folk to decorate or even I myself helped two people make furniture which I collected the materials for and was paid based off people who came to my house and saw stuff they liked and wanted. I think people who have not played this aspect have no idea how very enjoyable and fun and worthwhile this endeavour could be and placing items for sale in the house is a very good way of ensuring people see your place. You will be spoilt for choices and honestly the fun and pride when someone asks about your house knows no equal. If you cannot appreciate this please do not belittle this addition to the game as there are many who find a great deal of fulfillment  in this perhaps niche in roleplaying.

That dragon house is simply awesome and yes the art team who kept designing the vases and lights and furniture in Everquest 2 truly enjoyed what they were doing. You can see that with their work and the various themes with expansions into different cultural areas helped create very varied items to help increase your plethora of choices. I have not seen that amount of artwork with so much variety in any other game. Vanguard was nice too but did not have close to the amount of choices that EQ 2 had and it was on tracts of land that people would not normally be around unlike EQ 2 which had it in the main thoroughfare of Freeport and Qeynos.

Chamber of Chains
  • echolynfanecholynfan Member UncommonPosts: 681
    Originally posted by Kuppa
    Im wondering how many will complain that its instanced.

Most of what I've read of this thread so far are the usual people lamenting instanced player housing - but that's really an over simplification of what this addition to the game is. This is not just "player housing" but your own personal slice of Rift - complete with full design control. Want it sunny....dark and cloudy...it's your choice. Want to build a rock bridge from point A to B - no problem. Build a tree house and add trees? It's all there.

Adding player vendors so that people can also have their own store (future update)  is awesome and is the sole reason I'm coming back to Rift - the extra content with the new expansion helps also :)

There's a reason player housing (personal world space in this "instance" hehe) is one of the most asked for features for an MMO: Not all of us want to do combat ALL THE TIME.

Kudos to Trion - hands down the best dev company atm.

Currently playing SWTOR and it's MUCH better than it was at launch.