Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Trion does housing above and beyond

Comments

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by marcust

Darkfall was a great game and I'm looking forward to DFUW, but its housing was very ordinary. Yes it was in common areas and yes it had a vendor but it wasnt really that customisable, not like UO. ANd having to find housing items in those treasure chests was just retarded.

I had one of the first houses in Darkfall US, near Chillbourne.

Any word for DFUW having housing too? I can't seem to find anything about it :(

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    instanced housing is meaningless
    fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • GravargGravarg Member UncommonPosts: 3,424

I got 3 words for ya...

BEST HOUSING EVER!

• Ice-QueenIce-Queen Member UncommonPosts: 2,483
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Instanced housing kinda kills the whole idea of housing. I'd prefere a big dedicated housing zone over some tiny little instance for yourself. Better of course implementation right into the real world.

Its like camping in a tent in your room vs camping in a large natural park... leave alone in wildlife.

It just doesnt compare even if you have a super hightech tent.

I agree, I can understand companies wanting the instanced housing so as not to lag people out while they're pve'ing or pvp'ing like in UO, but I still loved it the way it was anyways. Like you said though a good compromise would be to make housing a zone all to itself. There's no point to having housing if you're the only house in your instance, no one sees it or cares about it really.

With UO, I could be out exploring and come across a house or even a keep out in the middle of no where. They'd have vendors I could browse through, see if there was anything I'd like to buy, go inside check out their decorating, see new items on display, it was the best housing I've had in an mmo. Loved that we could build and decorate and have vendors to sell things for us.

What happens when you log off your characters????.....
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFQhfhnjYMk
    Dark Age of Camelot

• grimgryphongrimgryphon Member CommonPosts: 682
    Originally posted by Tayah
    Originally posted by Sukiyaki

Instanced housing kinda kills the whole idea of housing. I'd prefere a big dedicated housing zone over some tiny little instance for yourself. Better of course implementation right into the real world.

Its like camping in a tent in your room vs camping in a large natural park... leave alone in wildlife.

It just doesnt compare even if you have a super hightech tent.

I agree, I can understand companies wanting the instanced housing so as not to lag people out while they're pve'ing or pvp'ing like in UO, but I still loved it the way it was anyways. Like you said though a good compromise would be to make housing a zone all to itself. There's no point to having housing if you're the only house in your instance, no one sees it or cares about it really.

With UO, I could be out exploring and come across a house or even a keep out in the middle of no where. They'd have vendors I could browse through, see if there was anything I'd like to buy, go inside check out their decorating, see new items on display, it was the best housing I've had in an mmo. Loved that we could build and decorate and have vendors to sell things for us.

Hey, I love UO and still play it after 15 years, but let's be realistic - you don't find "a" house in UO. Unless you fail to notice the other 700 houses crowded around it. Empty land tends to be in large sections and you could only build on empty land. One tuft or grass, one small pebble and it was "no go" amigo. Occasionally you could find a remote plot, but it was a long, hard search.

Part of the reason I still keep my UO account active even though I play occasionally is because I do not want to go looking for another housing plot ever again.

I'll take instanced housing in modern games, even if it's not ideal.

Optional PvP = No PvP
  • GrayGhost79GrayGhost79 Member UncommonPosts: 4,775
    Originally posted by Hydros13
    Sadly it is instanced housing... Wildstar is doing housing above (Literally) and beyond.

Ahh, the housing is instanced? Then whats the point ; ; 

I miss UO's housing system. One day... I hope one day we will see it again in a modern MMO. 

• FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

I prefer non instanced housing. But I would take instanced housing over no housing any day. Being able to customize the music, weather, and time of day is a bonus to instanced housing and I'm glad Trion added those features. I'm looking forward to having a vendor there in future updates as well.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,049
    Everquest 2 had a auction house feature that allowed people to come to your house and pick the item up for less money. I used to get random folk asking me about the decorations and how I did this and that to get this effect  when they came to buy thigns. Although the house was instanced it got a lot of attention and I was so very proud of my efforts.
    Chamber of Chains
  • defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by cheyane
    Everquest 2 had a auction house feature that allowed people to come to your house and pick the item up for less money. I used to get random folk asking me about the decorations and how I did this and that to get this effect  when they came to buy thigns. Although the house was instanced it got a lot of attention and I was so very proud of my efforts.

think EQ2 had same housing like SWG. instanced was the interior ONLY. the house as space was inside the world

anyway didnt play EQ2 but play SWG for years. and the housing was that make me continue play till end. Still have the videos with my armor collection, weapon collection, plant coll and others. just watching them from time to time and wait to see a sci-fi MMO with same housing to stack with it.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596
    Originally posted by Foomerang

I prefer non instanced housing. But I would take instanced housing over no housing any day. Being able to customize the music, weather, and time of day is a bonus to instanced housing and I'm glad Trion added those features. I'm looking forward to having a vendor there in future updates as well.

We had it in LOTRO, and after some initial excitement, people just used them as personal bank vaults, and they lame.  A lot of people just stopped using them completely like I did because there was no acual reason to go there.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• MindTriggerMindTrigger Member Posts: 2,596

Originally posted by MindTrigger

Originally posted by KingJiggly Will ghetto houses be available? I want to create a giant MMO ghetto city... Kind if like Detroit only you know.... Pixels.
    I'm referring to player controlled vendors for selling your own loot and crafted items.  This game will never have anything like that.

Never? They've already said they are planning to implement that exact feature in future updates.

Well, I guess we shall see.  Even if they do that, they will need a system in place for people to know what is being sold at people's houses.  SWG had the Bazaar system that let people search for items out on player vendors.  Then you would go there to buy it and/or pick it up (depending on the version of the game at the time).

I still see instanced housing as a fail.  How hard would it be to make a large zone where people could put up their own houses?  Even put some mobs in there and other stuff so there would be a reason to visit?

I can't get into the personal instance thing.  No fun at all.

A sure sign that you are in an old, dying paradigm/mindset, is when you are scared of new ideas and new technology. Don't feel bad. The world is moving on without you, and you are welcome to yell "Get Off My Lawn!" all you want while it happens. You cannot, however, stop an idea whose time has come.

• ReizlaReizla Member RarePosts: 4,092
    I was in doubt if I should get that year-subscription deal, but the doubt is gone now. This housing system is OMFGWTFBBQ-like good. Think I'll be crafting tons of stuff for my future house ;-)
  • PyukPyuk Member UncommonPosts: 762

It looks good but its no UO.

UO had the same creativity, but in common areas and allowed you to set up vendors (no auction houses) which motivated people to browse around.

Put a subset of this into common areas with vendors and I'd seriously consider it.

This. Also, let's not forget that SWG had, imo, one of the best housing system of any game. It was all in the open world, allowed for player cities to be created, complete with city governments, shopping districts, etc. I have to say that I think instanced housing is a step backwards in MMO development. Let players build houses in the open world and create their own communities. A 15 year old game can do it, modern MMOs should too.

I make spreadsheets at work - I don't want to make them for the games I play.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

It looks good but its no UO.

UO had the same creativity, but in common areas and allowed you to set up vendors (no auction houses) which motivated people to browse around.

Put a subset of this into common areas with vendors and I'd seriously consider it.

So how does this workl? Can we buy our own instanced area and customize it? :O

If that's the case I think I might actually finally give in and get that game.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,897
    It seems like this game has no identity.  It's like they are adding different features that people like, but don't really have an overall design philosophy.  I mean, they started out as a WOW clone with a tiny world and so so art (my opinion).  Then they added a third faction and now housing.  I'm not sure trying to be all things to all people is going to work.  The time spend broadening the focus of the game means less time adding content to the original core of the game.
  • IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403
    Originally posted by Raventree
    This is already the coolest "housing" system I have ever seen.

Coming next week: Blizzard announces pending completion of its long-awaited housing project...to be added in MOP's second year...

Chuckle.  I'm far too cynical sometimes.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Im wondering how many will complain that its instanced.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    Originally posted by FrodoFragins
    It seems like this game has no identity.  It's like they are adding different features that people like, but don't really have an overall design philosophy.  I mean, they started out as a WOW clone with a tiny world and so so art (my opinion).  Then they added a third faction and now housing.  I'm not sure trying to be all things to all people is going to work.  The time spend broadening the focus of the game means less time adding content to the original core of the game.

WoW's been doing that for a while, they even upped it up a notch with MoP, they added Pokemon and Farmville - not to mention the Kung-Fu Pandas =P

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by Kuppa

See page one of this thread - they are already complaining.......

• ShenjShimpoShenjShimpo Member Posts: 16

sry to break it for ya buddy but archeage does all that ten times better....

and oO u can build ships too

Originally posted by FrodoFragins

Come on Frod, are you criticizing for being too much like the other guys, or not enough?

I think what we're seeing is a couple of attempts to capture the Disaffected, found here and elsewhere.  We're got a wow clone, that everyone busted our balls for making, we need to go in a different direction.  Why don't we make a few of those things everyone complains the loudest that wow doesn't have?

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• ZylaxxZylaxx Member Posts: 2,574

I am really looking forward to Storm Legion.  Check out this short video of Trion's version of housing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhSDMooGes

So frigging cool I can't believe it.

Def looks cool and I went back a few weeks ago to try and get back into the game but there is just soemthign I dont particularly like about it which I cant narrow it down.  From the Animations, to the combat, to the UI.  Something is just off and detracts greatly from my experience.

Everything you need to know about Elder Scrolls Online

Playing: GW2
    Waiting on: TESO
    Next Flop: Planetside 2
    Best MMO of all time: Asheron's Call - The first company to recreate AC will be the next greatest MMO.

• SirBalinSirBalin Member UncommonPosts: 1,300

I am really looking forward to Storm Legion.  Check out this short video of Trion's version of housing. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RFhSDMooGes

So frigging cool I can't believe it.

Yea, um...all instanced, can't attack it...get no gain from it, you can hang pictures though...this does nothing but add an element of minecraft to the game...just play minecraft if you want this...

Incognito
    www.incognito-gaming.us
    "You're either with us or against us"

• InlorInlor Member Posts: 37
    Originally posted by MindTrigger

We had it in LOTRO, and after some initial excitement, people just used them as personal bank vaults, and they lame.  A lot of people just stopped using them completely like I did because there was no acual reason to go there.

This.

I own a house in LotRO, but actually went there only once. There's no point to it, as long as you have free bank space. There are no other players around and no one cares about your trophies or house deco but you.

I am happy for Rift players who like the idea of instanced housing, but honestly: to call THIS housing, is insulting the real housing in games like UO, SWG oder MO.

Having played UO for about 10 years, I think I am spoiled when it comes to housing. I will never enjoy instanced housing. UO simply was ingenious in lots of ways. Housing gave players something to do, starting from running around and searching for a free spot, trading real estate at the West Bank Britain, customizing your house with hundreds of different objects, setting up vendor shops, playing gardener and last but not least supporting open pvp by the whole concept of IDOCs.

Oh and I forgot: while sitting in your house and doing some stuff, seeing players running around, perhaps checking out your vendors, gave you the feeling of actually living in a real world.

Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by Kuppa

See page one of this thread - they are already complaining.......

Indeed, very predictable.

"Not real sandbox."