Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fuzzy Avatars Solved! Please re-upload your avatar if it was fuzzy!

why does this game make me want to go back to WoW?

JakdstripperJakdstripper logan lake, BCPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

I'm at a loss for words. While the first few weeks playing this game was fun it has now turned very bland. i have not reached level cap even after trying just about every class, and i simply dont care to. i just can't get myself to log in, and even when i do i feel absolutely no purpouse. it makes me mad because the game is so pretty, it works well, it's free, it's everything you'd want it to be.....just not interesting.

the worst thing of all is how the more i force myself to play GW2 the more i want to go back and play WoW. this part is just killing me. It's as if all the classes of GW2 just remind me how much more fun the symilar WoW classes were. i miss roles. i miss the trinity. i miss having a purpous and being needed in a group. i miss looking forward to harder and harder group content.  

i really dont know how to explain it. GW2 is like that incredibly beautiful, busty, blonde you've always dreamd off, that ends up being so incredibly dull you just want to scream...... and only makes you want to go back to the foul mouth, cigarette smoking, tramp (WoW) that somehow you just cannot get enough of.

this is truly mind-boggling. Why oh why do i feel this way?

«134

Comments

  • BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,946Member Uncommon
    You rally need to engage with a guild/community to get into guild wars 2. I know where you are comming from, wow gives you a very specific addictive hit - yes much like smoking :). Last night I ran sorrows furnace and I tell ya it felt very much like a hybrid between a wow 5 man instance and a raid. What made it feel that way though was the banter in game and the collective woop when we finally worked out a boss tactic that worked.

    For me, I plan to play rift expansion for a trinity blast and gw2 as well. I guess the problem is that wow demands so much of you time to remain competitive that's it pushes out other games.

    rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

    Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

  • BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,946Member Uncommon
    Btw wow content does not get harder and harder they just change the stats-it will be no different in gw2, new content is released and it is difficult until you learn it- but you won need 3 months of repeating the instance to ramp up your stats first, it purely comes down to skill, which Anet will balance against.

    rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

    Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

  • stayontargetstayontarget Tacoma, WAPosts: 6,068Member Uncommon

    Why do you feel that way while playing GW2,  because GW2 is fundamentally flawed by its design.   Nice try Anet better luck next time.

     

    Velika: City of Wheels: Among the mortal races, the humans were the only one that never built cities or great empires; a curse laid upon them by their creator, Gidd, forced them to wander as nomads for twenty centuries...

  • BladestromBladestrom edinburghPosts: 4,946Member Uncommon
    Brilliant analysis.

    rpg/mmorg history: Dun Darach>Bloodwych>Bards Tale 1-3>Eye of the beholder > Might and Magic 2,3,5 > FFVII> Baldur's Gate 1, 2 > Planescape Torment >Morrowind > WOW > oblivion > LOTR > Guild Wars (1900hrs elementalist) Vanguard. > GW2(1000 elementalist), Wildstar

    Now playing GW2, AOW 3, ESO, LOTR, Elite D

  • ZzadZzad Palma de MallorcaPosts: 1,332Member Uncommon

    Probably because you are a WoW player that never should of have left WoW in the first place.

    Probably because you were expecting WoW 2.0. and GW2 isn´t WoW 2.0...actually it´s very different.

    Probably because you miss Raiding over & over & doing daylies....

    Do yourself a favor (and to the rest of GW2 players) & go back there to play a Panda ;)

    I´ll be celebrating Halloween instead ;)

    imageimage

  • saurus123saurus123 nonePosts: 570Member Uncommon

    why you just dont move on and play the game you want

     

    but noo you must waste internet space :)

  • PilnkplonkPilnkplonk zagrebPosts: 1,532Member

    So go play WoW, /shrug.

    Really, GW2's major flaw atm is the lack of player direction. I'm not talking about linear "lead by the nose" "story" crap, but specific goals that players could choose for themselves, especially in PvE and WvW. With bland karma and skill ponts ANet shot itself in the foot. 90% of GW1's longetivity stemmed from collecting weird skills and titles by performing very specific tasks. By removing this and creating a "shopping mall" system of skill and gear acquisition they sacrificed a very important player motivation mechanic for the sake of nebulous "accessiblity."

    Imo this is the prime reason why the game somehow feels "bland." The game itself is not "bland" - it is incredibly rich and detailed in presentation and execution, the only area where it is bland is with player motivation. In short, there is no particular reason why should I do one DE rather than another one - they both give the same rewards. While this is great if you enjoy just wandering around to see the sights, long-term this poses problems. I hope ANet does something about it and does it fast. Give us improved weapon skill unlocks that can be obtained only by performing particular DE chains, for example. That would kill two birds with one stone - give players some motivation, some long term goals they could choose for themselves (no, grinding karma is not a long-term goal, it's a grind) and solve the problem of having all your skills unlocked by lvl 30.

    Personally, I find GW2's core game design infinitely superior to WoW's, and I salute that they decided to go by a completely different route. However, now that they have their "proof of concept" they should take a deep breath and maturely consider what "standard" mmo tropes they could introduce into GW2 without jeopardizing its uniqueness. I, for one, wouldn't have a problem with something like WoW's faction "influence" or what they had in WAR with each region having it's own such resource to collect. Each region could have its own "legendary" weapon that could be obtained by such means... or a funny hat. Daily repeatable heart quests also wouldn't be a bad idea.

  • JakdstripperJakdstripper logan lake, BCPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

    i dislike also how GW2 has no faction races. this almost makes me feel ....racist?.... but i like having certain races as your enemy. i like knowing all orks, or elfs, or humans are enemies. it makes me feel like a belong to a group.  

    i WoW i loved being part of the Horde as a faction and hunting down all the "good" enemy races. there was distinction and faction pride. in GW2 there is just server pride....i just cannot get excited about server pride.

     

    i've tried guilds but again, nobody needs anyone in the guilds. everyone can do everything so nobody is truly needed. as long as you got 5 people you can do everything, doesn't matter who the 5 are. i feel like animal crakers, different shapes/colors but it all tastes the same.

  • JakdstripperJakdstripper logan lake, BCPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

     

    Imo this is the prime reason why the game somehow feels "bland." The game itself is not "bland" - it is incredibly rich and detailed in presentation and execution, the only are where it is bland is with player motivation. In short, there is nor particular reason why should I do one DE rather than another one - they both give the same rewards. While this is great if you enjoy just wandering around to see the sights, long-term this poses problems. I hope ANet does something about it and does it fast. Give us improved weapon skill unlocks that can be obtained only by performing particular DE chains, for example. That would kill two birds with one stone - give players some motivation, some long term goals they could choose for themselves (no, grinding karma is not a long-term goal, it's a grind) and solve the problem of having all your skills unlocked by lvl 30.

     i think you nailed it on the head. even just thinking about having to seek out certain DE's chains to unlock skills already makes me want to log in....dude you should work for AN.

  • cyphorcyphor EdinburghPosts: 131Member
    The problem with GW2 for me was PVP diversity; in SPVP all maps are similar with no diffirentiation in objectives and WVWVW is just a mess with no real direction. I do like alot of aspects of the game and I'm sure I'll return from time to time but unfortunately I rarely logged in once capped and so I too am back in WOW for now to play through the expansion until something better comes along.
  • KareliaKarelia HeraklionPosts: 668Member
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

    I'm at a loss for words. While the first few weeks playing this game was fun it has now turned very bland. i have not reached level cap even after trying just about every class, and i simply dont care to. i just can't get myself to log in, and even when i do i feel absolutely no purpouse. it makes me mad because the game is so pretty, it works well, it's free, it's everything you'd want it to be.....just not interesting.

    the worst thing of all is how the more i force myself to play GW2 the more i want to go back and play WoW. this part is just killing me. It's as if all the classes of GW2 just remind me how much more fun the symilar WoW classes were. i miss roles. i miss the trinity. i miss having a purpous and being needed in a group. i miss looking forward to harder and harder group content.  

    i really dont know how to explain it. GW2 is like that incredibly beautiful, busty, blonde you've always dreamd off, that ends up being so incredibly dull you just want to scream...... and only makes you want to go back to the foul mouth, cigarette smoking, tramp (WoW) that somehow you just cannot get enough of.

    this is truly mind-boggling. Why oh why do i feel this way?

    you are not alone :)

  • NBlitzNBlitz ZwollePosts: 1,904Member
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

    <>the more i want to go back and play WoW<>

    I don't see why you're struggling. If I get the itch to play something else I just do...

    If people listened more to their 'gut feeling' we wouldn't have threads such as these popping up so often. I've never felt compelled to make a thread (any kind, for that matter) about my 'gut feeling' of wanting to play Aion now...

     

    Put GW2 aside for a while, go play WoW and maybe your decision will prove your 'gut feeling' right or wrong.

  • NadiaNadia Canonsburg, PAPosts: 11,866Member Common
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

    i dislike also how GW2 has no faction races. this almost makes me feel ....racist?.... but i like having certain races as your enemy. i like knowing all orks, or elfs, or humans are enemies. it makes me feel like a belong to a group.  

    i WoW i loved being part of the Horde as a faction and hunting down all the "good" enemy races. there was distinction and faction pride. in GW2 there is just server pride....i just cannot get excited about server pride.

    i dont know what is in GW2 future

    but if GW2 decides to have more conflict -- it may be similar to what anet did in GW1 Factions

     

    when GW2 opens up Cantha, maybe the Kurzik / Luxon faction conflict will return

    http://wiki.guildwars2.com/wiki/Cantha

    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Kurzik

    http://wiki.guildwars.com/wiki/Luxon

  • JakdstripperJakdstripper logan lake, BCPosts: 2,126Member Uncommon

    sadly the WoW of now is not the WoW i had fun playing more then 2 years ago. i pretty much left when they entroduced LFD and everyone just started sitting arround Ogrimar waiting for ques. I also dont care for pandas.....like at all. and i'm not paying 40$ for that expansion + sub fees...not for pandas.....

    perhaps it's just nostalgia pains....just have to wait for it to pass.

  • IntheShadowsIntheShadows North YorkshirePosts: 58Member
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

    i really dont know how to explain it. GW2 is like that incredibly beautiful, busty, blonde you've always dreamd off, that ends up being so incredibly dull you just want to scream...... and only makes you want to go back to the foul mouth, cigarette smoking, tramp (WoW) that somehow you just cannot get enough of.

    this is truly mind-boggling. Why oh why do i feel this way?

    ^ This made me LOL! :D I understand the feeling. Most days I have an internal battle about playing GW2 or WoW. I feel like I'm supposed to play GW2, but I really just want to play WoW.

    I know a lot of people say "Well just play WoW then blah blah", but I think part of the problem is that a lot of people (myself inclused) waited and looked forward to this game for quite a while, so we really want to keep giving it a chance. It looks gorgeous and does so many things right, but it just lacks that certain something. I think Pilnkplonk really summed it up nicely. Players need some kind of goal.

  • AmjocoAmjoco Layton, UTPosts: 4,779Member Uncommon

    Not too hard to play both. I have a level 80 guardian and a 73 Pandaren Monk. /shrug

    Life doesn't set you in stone, you are aloud to do more than one thing. The busty blonde you are talking about sounds awesome, but there are other hair choices out there!

    Death is nothing to us, since when we are, Death has not come, and when death has come, we are not.

  • immodiumimmodium ManchesterPosts: 1,578Member Uncommon

    The more I read up on this game through reviews and player testimonies I honestly believe this game isn't catered for the WoW player.

    It seems to be catered more towards the CoD player.

    image
  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 18,005Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

    So go play WoW, /shrug.

    Really, GW2's major flaw atm is the lack of player direction. I'm not talking about linear "lead by the nose" "story" crap, but specific goals that players could choose for themselves, especially in PvE and WvW. With bland karma and skill ponts ANet shot itself in the foot. 90% of GW1's longetivity stemmed from collecting weird skills and titles by performing very specific tasks. By removing this and creating a "shopping mall" system of skill and gear acquisition they sacrificed a very important player motivation mechanic for the sake of nebulous "accessiblity."

    Imo this is the prime reason why the game somehow feels "bland." The game itself is not "bland" - it is incredibly rich and detailed in presentation and execution, the only area where it is bland is with player motivation. In short, there is no particular reason why should I do one DE rather than another one - they both give the same rewards. While this is great if you enjoy just wandering around to see the sights, long-term this poses problems. I hope ANet does something about it and does it fast. Give us improved weapon skill unlocks that can be obtained only by performing particular DE chains, for example. That would kill two birds with one stone - give players some motivation, some long term goals they could choose for themselves (no, grinding karma is not a long-term goal, it's a grind) and solve the problem of having all your skills unlocked by lvl 30.

    Personally, I find GW2's core game design infinitely superior to WoW's, and I salute that they decided to go by a completely different route. However, now that they have their "proof of concept" they should take a deep breath and maturely consider what "standard" mmo tropes they could introduce into GW2 without jeopardizing its uniqueness. I, for one, wouldn't have a problem with something like WoW's faction "influence" or what they had in WAR with each region having it's own such resource to collect. Each region could have its own "legendary" weapon that could be obtained by such means... or a funny hat. Daily repeatable heart quests also wouldn't be a bad idea.

    That is actually a really good point. But frankly did vanilla GW1 also had rather limited content, most of the longevity was added in the new campaigns and GW:EN.

    Still, Wows faction (which they stole from EQ) is not something I would want to see in GW2. Neither is dailies, they just suck.

    But I would like a focus on guilds and the addition of guildhalls or guildcities. That opens up for a lot of things for guilds to do together, and for some really cool Guild Vs guild PvP which the game so far lacks.

    They also must add skills you unlock in the game, maybe from dungeons, elite mobs or event chains. Not weapon skills for the same weapon maybe, but a few new weapons would be cool.

    And legendary armors needs to be added as well.

    GW2 is still in early vanilla and I think it is on the right way. OP is just addicted to Wow, I bet he tried a whole bunch of MMOs and tried quitting Wow many times but failed. For me going back to a game like that wont work. 

    When I tire of GW2 I just have to either go to a sandbox or a game like War Z or Class 4. I am done with EQ/WOW/M59 now.

  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Seattle, WAPosts: 1,067Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by stayontarget

    Why do you feel that way while playing GW2,  because GW2 is fundamentally flawed by its design.   Nice try Anet better luck next time.

     

    What game is not subjected to that? Name it, all it takes is one person on this board to dissect the fundemental problems with your favorite game.

    image

  • Loke666Loke666 MalmöPosts: 18,005Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by immodium

    The more I read up on this game through reviews and player testimonies I honestly believe this game isn't catered for the WoW player.

    It seems to be catered more towards the CoD player.

    Not really, it is more made for explorers. I think AC2 was the last game before made for us.

    But you are right, it is not really made for Wow players and it never was, Strain already said so when the game was revealed 5 years ago. You can say that Wow is about a lot of things but it really is just about collecting gear. Your goal is always to get the next tier of gear no matter what.

  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

    i really dont know how to explain it. GW2 is like that incredibly beautiful, busty, blonde you've always dreamd off, that ends up being so incredibly dull you just want to scream...... and only makes you want to go back to the foul mouth, cigarette smoking, tramp (WoW) that somehow you just cannot get enough of.

    This blond comparison i've seen made about every single mmo in existance . I'm guessing you've seen it too .It seems funny an orginal the first time but when you see it used again and again you realise how genric and unoriginal the person using it is .

     

  • StoneRosesStoneRoses Seattle, WAPosts: 1,067Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Loke666
    Originally posted by Pilnkplonk

    So go play WoW, /shrug.

    Really, GW2's major flaw atm is the lack of player direction. I'm not talking about linear "lead by the nose" "story" crap, but specific goals that players could choose for themselves, especially in PvE and WvW. With bland karma and skill ponts ANet shot itself in the foot. 90% of GW1's longetivity stemmed from collecting weird skills and titles by performing very specific tasks. By removing this and creating a "shopping mall" system of skill and gear acquisition they sacrificed a very important player motivation mechanic for the sake of nebulous "accessiblity."

    Imo this is the prime reason why the game somehow feels "bland." The game itself is not "bland" - it is incredibly rich and detailed in presentation and execution, the only area where it is bland is with player motivation. In short, there is no particular reason why should I do one DE rather than another one - they both give the same rewards. While this is great if you enjoy just wandering around to see the sights, long-term this poses problems. I hope ANet does something about it and does it fast. Give us improved weapon skill unlocks that can be obtained only by performing particular DE chains, for example. That would kill two birds with one stone - give players some motivation, some long term goals they could choose for themselves (no, grinding karma is not a long-term goal, it's a grind) and solve the problem of having all your skills unlocked by lvl 30.

    Personally, I find GW2's core game design infinitely superior to WoW's, and I salute that they decided to go by a completely different route. However, now that they have their "proof of concept" they should take a deep breath and maturely consider what "standard" mmo tropes they could introduce into GW2 without jeopardizing its uniqueness. I, for one, wouldn't have a problem with something like WoW's faction "influence" or what they had in WAR with each region having it's own such resource to collect. Each region could have its own "legendary" weapon that could be obtained by such means... or a funny hat. Daily repeatable heart quests also wouldn't be a bad idea.

    That is actually a really good point. But frankly did vanilla GW1 also had rather limited content, most of the longevity was added in the new campaigns and GW:EN.

    Still, Wows faction (which they stole from EQ) is not something I would want to see in GW2. Neither is dailies, they just suck.

    But I would like a focus on guilds and the addition of guildhalls or guildcities. That opens up for a lot of things for guilds to do together, and for some really cool Guild Vs guild PvP which the game so far lacks.

    They also must add skills you unlock in the game, maybe from dungeons, elite mobs or event chains. Not weapon skills for the same weapon maybe, but a few new weapons would be cool.

    And legendary armors needs to be added as well.

    GW2 is still in early vanilla and I think it is on the right way. OP is just addicted to Wow, I bet he tried a whole bunch of MMOs and tried quitting Wow many times but failed. For me going back to a game like that wont work. 

    When I tire of GW2 I just have to either go to a sandbox or a game like War Z or Class 4. I am done with EQ/WOW/M59 now.

     

    I don't know how many times folks like youself keep providing the best examples and so many just not getting it. WoW did exactly that. WoW was flawless right?

     

    People have been quick to abandon many other MMOs for the supidest reasons showing little to no support, rather than sticking around and allow the game to grow.

    image

  • roo67roo67 londonPosts: 402Member
    Originally posted by Amjoco

    Not too hard to play both. I have a level 80 guardian and a 73 Pandaren Monk. /shrug

    Life doesn't set you in stone, you are aloud to do more than one thing. The busty blonde you are talking about sounds awesome, but there are other hair choices out there!

    Exactly . Guild Wars 2 is a great second mmo . The fact someone comes on here starts a thread up knocking the endgame makes me question thier motives . Is it a Blizzard fan looking simply to troll GW2 ?

    The OP doesn't seem to understand you are allowed to play more than one MMO . If the fed up with GW2 give it up play WoW for a few months untill some new content comes out then if you feel like it play the new content . Your not paying a subscription so you don't have to worry about gettting value for money .

    The chances are the OP has had as much fun out of it as he would get from a single player game for a similar price but because GW2 isn't released with as much content as WoW has now ( it actually has more endgame content that most mmos on release ) he comes on here and has to make a big deal about how hes going back to WoW .

    This shows his motive more than anything . Why didn't he simply quietly go back to Warcraft ? The reason he didn't is because hes trolling .

    Chances are he never gave up WoW and if he did play Guild Wars 2 he rushed the content or he never played it at all and is simply repeating what others have said about it .

  • 7star7star SeoulPosts: 405Member
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

    sadly the WoW of now is not the WoW i had fun playing more then 2 years ago. i pretty much left when they entroduced LFD and everyone just started sitting arround Ogrimar waiting for ques. I also dont care for pandas.....like at all. and i'm not paying 40$ for that expansion + sub fees...not for pandas.....

    perhaps it's just nostalgia pains....just have to wait for it to pass.

    I think this is exactly what it is. I played MoP for 4 days, unsubbed, and uninstalled. It wasn't that the game is bad. WoW is WoW. It's what it is and if the community were great, I would be fine playing it. But, to me, my experience of the community this time was awful. Seriously. 

     

    I was in a guild and they all moved to GW2 to play on HoD to pvp. But I didn't go to HoD because of the q times. I don't know anyone in WoW now and starting over there is not the same as it used to be -- because the community is much different than it was.

     

    Now, I have GW2, so I log in once in a while when I want some easy fun after a hard day of work. When I want something more substantial to sink my teeth into, I log into TSW, which I have a lifetime sub to. The world on my server is desolate now, but it's still a fun and challenging game when I'm in that mood that no other game can match.

     

    I even re-subbed to Rift to check that out. I'm not sure I will stay, but if you want WoW gameplay (gear progression, raiding, etc.) I would prefer this game because the community on my server is so much better/more civil/mature. I'm not sure how long I will keep my sub up. I think it depends on how things go with TSW and GW2, but Rift is good and has it's own mood, too. I love rogue tanking in Rift. 

     

    And I know you are waiting for DFUW just like I am. I think we will both be into that game full-time once it comes out, so let's see what's happens. Maybe I will see you in Agon.

  • MukeMuke BredaPosts: 2,172Member Uncommon
    Originally posted by Jakdstripper

    this is truly mind-boggling. Why oh why do i feel this way?

    not spoonfed, too difficult?

    "going into arguments with idiots is a lost cause, it requires you to stoop down to their level and you can't win"

«134
Sign In or Register to comment.