Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Seriously?

2»

Comments

• defector1968defector1968 Member UncommonPosts: 469
    Originally posted by necredon

So you can't play without paying for the next month instantly after inserting your key huh :).

I don't have money left for this this month so I just wasted about 20 of my 30 days.

Obviously posting in the general forums also isn't possible after buying the game and activating your account, nope you have to pay a subscription as well.

Fun fun fun

all subded games need a CREDIT CARD or DEBIT CARD or GAME CARD to start.

fan of SWG, XCOM, Defiance, Global Agenda, Need For Speed, all Star Wars single player games. And waiting the darn STAR CITIZEN
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Sevenstar61
    Originally posted by Karteli

I've sent them a mail almost a week ago, still nothing.

What makes me really angry is that they didn't even give me cartel points for buying the box.

So really I just bought air.

They should be in jail damnit

Collection edition and deluxe edition are the only boxes that gives cartel points. It is explained on web.

All subscription based games have the same rules, why everybody jumps on EA (other then pure hate) is beyond me.

Companies have to earn money to run their business, like it or not...

It always comes down to that doesn't it?  Every other game does it, so it's OK.  I guess there is more money in getting credit card info up front, eh?  It's not necessary, but companies love it when customers forget they are still subscribed and continue getting billed.  Prepaid game cards up front before the game can actually be dug into isn't much better.

Just once, wouldn't you actually like to see a mainstream game company break the mold?  If Star Wars never originally broke the mold, A New Hope would just be a Star Trek clone.  Gamer conformity to the norm is saddening :/

It is customer's responsibility to remember if you are subscribed or not... it is called personal responsibility.  Same is with cable TV, your cell phone end everything else. People just want to shift responsibilities to everybody else... looks like a new trend...

Edit. So EA is evil because it's not different than other companies... sigh

Well, they are evil because their customer service doesn't effectively handle customers needs.  Even if EA simply answered, "No can do", that would be better than getting ignored.  Getting ignored leaves the feeling that something still could be done, but the request just isn't getting through.

I can sympathize with the OP because I was ignored too.  Just as a comparison, I had issues with WoW before and I would always get a response, either to fix a problem, help me with a problem, or tell me there is nothing they can do.  Activision-Blizzard is no saint in the industry, but they did handle the very people paying their salary with care.

On the other comment, yes, it is the customers responsibility to remember if they are subscribed.  Some don't though, and companies know this.  They inconvenience everyone to get that extra revenue, however.  I don't applaud this approach, and see it for what it is.  Sometimes it royally screws over a handful of players, as the OP is noticing.  Lack of competent customer support isn't helping either.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• necredonnecredon Member Posts: 118
    Originally posted by tawess

Also... the OP have been subscribe here since 07... it is not like he could not have asked before he bought the gamehow things worked..?

[mod edit]

The point is: I paid for something and I got nothing in return; does that seem fair to you? I don't care about companies, i knew what SWTOR would give me as a game and I felt perfectly fine dishing out a little bit of money to play it for a month.

To counter your argument of subscribed since 07, I rebought WoW last year, a special deal of what was it 15 euros for everything? I think so, I got to play my free month :), without giving out any extra details nor having to buy a time card. I know this used to be an issiue with wow at launch since they didn't release time cards untill a few months later. But they seemed to have changed it.

Same with Darkfall & EVE btw

Anyways to all of you who feel offended by this post:

I spent some money and I didn't get anything

Oh and the box says "30 Day subsciption included with purchase"

• Sevenstar61Sevenstar61 Member UncommonPosts: 1,686

What makes me really angry is that they didn't even give me cartel points for buying the box.

Collection edition and deluxe edition are the only boxes that gives cartel points. It is explained on web.

All subscription based games have the same rules, why everybody jumps on EA (other then pure hate) is beyond me.

It always comes down to that doesn't it?  Every other game does it, so it's OK.  I guess there is more money in getting credit card info up front, eh?  It's not necessary, but companies love it when customers forget they are still subscribed and continue getting billed.  Prepaid game cards up front before the game can actually be dug into isn't much better.

Just once, wouldn't you actually like to see a mainstream game company break the mold?  If Star Wars never originally broke the mold, A New Hope would just be a Star Trek clone.  Gamer conformity to the norm is saddening :/

It is customer's responsibility to remember if you are subscribed or not... it is called personal responsibility.  Same is with cable TV, your cell phone end everything else. People just want to shift responsibilities to everybody else... looks like a new trend...

Well, they are evil because their customer service doesn't effectively handle customers needs.  Even if EA simply answered, "No can do", that would be better than getting ignored.  Getting ignored leaves the feeling that something still could be done, but the request just isn't getting through.

I can sympathize with the OP because I was ignored too.  Just as a comparison, I had issues with WoW before and I would always get a response, either to fix a problem, help me with a problem, or tell me there is nothing they can do.  Activision-Blizzard is no saint in the industry, but they did handle the very people paying their salary with care.

On the other comment, yes, it is the customers responsibility to remember if they are subscribed.  Some don't though, and companies know this.  They inconvenience everyone to get that extra revenue, however.  I don't applaud this approach, and see it for what it is.  Sometimes it royally screws over a handful of players, as the OP is noticing.  Lack of competent customer support isn't helping either.

And how companies are supposed to track if you are playing the game or not. Are you expecting to get an email every month asking you to make up your mind if you want to subscribe or not? They would be idiots LOL.

I suggest Op contact (call) customer service and explore his option. Opinion about EA customer service vary. I know of people complaining that after 1.4  they had problem with shuttering and they got a free time until customer declared that it was fixed, so lets not generalize.

Sith Warrior - Story of Hate and Love http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxKrlwXt7Ao
    Imperial Agent - Rise of Cipher Nine http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OBBj3eJWBvU&feature=youtu.be
    Imperial Agent - Hunt for the Eagle Part 1http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQqjYYU128E

• SoliloquySoliloquy Member CommonPosts: 128

Also... the OP have been subscribe here since 07... it is not like he could not have asked before he bought the gamehow things worked..?

[mod edit]

Let's keep things civil please.

And how companies are supposed to track if you are playing the game or not. Are you expecting to get an email every month asking you to make up your mind if you want to subscribe or not? They would be idiots LOL.

I suggest Op contact (call) customer service and explore his option. Opinion about EA customer service vary. I know of people complaining that after 1.4  they had problem with shuttering and they got a free time until customer declared that it was fixed, so lets not generalize.

I'm just going to wait it out, perhaps one they will answer my mail and I can ask for my 30 days back when its ftp when (and if ) I will buy a time card or get me a cc or whatever.

In the meanwhile i'll enjoy another game of them that i "found"

• KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646

None of which has anything to do with what I was saying.  I guess we won't be on the same page anytime soon :/  Oh well..

Best of luck, OP.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• AzaqinAzaqin Member UncommonPosts: 67
    Originally posted by Kamikazego

So you can't play without paying for the next month instantly after inserting your key huh :).

I don't have money left for this this month so I just wasted about 20 of my 30 days.

Obviously posting in the general forums also isn't possible after buying the game and activating your account, nope you have to pay a subscription as well.

Fun fun fun

As far as I know, the free 30 days doesn't start until you enter your subscription info?  Also, you aren't charged when you type in your credit card number.  You can type the info in, then cancel any time before the free 30 days are up.  Try thinking outside the box a little.

"you now have 29 days left"

Thinking outside the box? Allright, i'll go steal someone cc tomorrow then, and then i'll cancel hit, how about that?

If you don't have a credit card, how were you planning on playing the game? It's not F2P yet. It looks like you jumped the gun on buying the game.

Originally posted by Azaqin
    Originally posted by Kamikazego

Fun fun fun

As far as I know, the free 30 days doesn't start until you enter your subscription info?  Also, you aren't charged when you type in your credit card number.  You can type the info in, then cancel any time before the free 30 days are up.  Try thinking outside the box a little.

"you now have 29 days left"

Thinking outside the box? Allright, i'll go steal someone cc tomorrow then, and then i'll cancel hit, how about that?

If you don't have a credit card, how were you planning on playing the game? It's not F2P yet. It looks like you jumped the gun on buying the game.

Time cards?

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202

[mod edit]

The point is: I paid for something and I got nothing in return; does that seem fair to you? I don't care about companies, i knew what SWTOR would give me as a game and I felt perfectly fine dishing out a little bit of money to play it for a month.

To counter your argument of subscribed since 07, I rebought WoW last year, a special deal of what was it 15 euros for everything? I think so, I got to play my free month :), without giving out any extra details nor having to buy a time card. I know this used to be an issiue with wow at launch since they didn't release time cards untill a few months later. But they seemed to have changed it.

..but the first thing listed in the same line at the bottom of the box is "Valid Credit Card or Paid Gametime card (If available)".

If you didnt have either then you shouldn't have purchased the game. You can't just use selective reading and ignore everything else on the box to prove your point. You can try..but it usually doesnt help.

Before I said  "frak it " and just started using my cc ...i used to have a pre-paid card from when 7-11 sold them (they might still sell them..idk) with about $5.00 on it to use for this purpose. It came in handy . hell..i might even go back to using one. (I chopped up the one I had)

Originally posted by SoulStain

[mod edit]

..but the first thing listed in the same line at the bottom of the box is "Valid Credit Card or Paid Gametime card (If available)".

If you didnt have either then you shouldn't have purchased the game. You can't just use selective reading and ignore everything else on the box to prove your point. You can try..but it usually doesnt help.

I believe it can be interpretted in both ways, yes its required to play the game because you have to play monthly BUT the first 30 days are free.

I guess I should have asked first though, anyway lets wrap this up no good will come from it anyway.

• SoulStainSoulStain Member Posts: 202
    Originally posted by SoulStain

[mod edit]

I believe it can be interpretted in both ways, yes its required to play the game because you have to play monthly BUT the first 30 days are free.

I guess I should have asked first though, anyway lets wrap this up no good will come from it anyway.

If you're not used to many MMO practices then i could see someone misinterpreting the requirements at the bottom of the box. I'll give you that.

It really should say " Valid Credit Card or  Paid Gametime Card Required for Activation." or something like that.

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326

Fun fun fun

Yep, seriously. You need to set up the subscription, either with prepaid time cards or with Credit Card information (which you can cancel before being charged). They will check the CC information by charging a dollar and refunding it to the card.

imageimage
  • stragen001stragen001 Member UncommonPosts: 1,720

1) Buy game

2) Create Account

3) Enter subsciption info

4) Cancel subscription

5) Play your free month 

6) Re-Enter subscription info if you want to continue playing after the free month is up

Cluck Cluck, Gibber Gibber, My Old Mans A Mushroom

12! Days after my original mail ( in compare, people allways complain about darkfall, they replied in less then half an hour and fixed my missing character problem in a nights sleep)

I have received your report regarding your account issue stating that you don't have an active subscription.

I apologize for any misunderstanding or inconvenience caused. Do not worry, I am more than happy to assist you with this concern.

The message you have reported seeing can appear where an account appears to be missing payment information.

Upon checking your account, it shows that you have successfully redeemed the product registration code. All you need to add now is a valid payment method to activate your account.

Star Wars: The Old Republic requires a valid payment method to be attached to each account as further proof of identity and to discourage fraudulent account creation. Adding payment information now also ensures that there will be no interruption of your gameplay when the thirty days granted with your purchase expire.

We look forward to seeing you in-game. Should you require further assistance with this or any other issue, please do not hesitate to contact us again.

Regards,

Ram
    Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service

checked if they atleast resetted the 30 days but... nope

• JoeyMMOJoeyMMO Member UncommonPosts: 1,326
    Originally posted by necredonµ

It also says EA on the box, read everything or you're screwed.

imageimage
  • SwaneaSwanea Member UncommonPosts: 2,401

*shakes head*

Really people? I mean, really?  Because this is EA/Bioware/SWTOR, you jump all over this?

99% of Subbing MMOs REQUIRE a CC to create an account.  Before the 30 days end, you can cancel your sub and never pay for the sub.  I have my box and it does mention a valid cc is needed to activate your account.

Check your box (or the details if you just bought a key online) it will say this.

If this is your first MMO ever, okay, maybe it sucks to learn this so late.  But reading the box makes things easy. It prolly even says it as you install it.  Or when you create your account.

Would have been cool if they gave you the time back on your account since you weren't able to use it. Maybe you need to call customer service and speak to a human being.  That might work for you.  And make sure you add a CC...