Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much do you like Guild Wars 2?

12345679»

Comments

• VesaviusVesavius Member RarePosts: 7,908

Best game that I have played in years, even approaching it like I do as pretty much a single player RPG.

The parts that I don't participate in are neither here or there, and I cannot rage at it for it's design focus with eSports PvP in mind because ANet was open about that from the start.

I personally have enjoyed it a lot and will return for events and new PvE content drops as and when. 

• muttleymuttley Member UncommonPosts: 17

i stink like a monkey's behind at mmorpgs and even i was able to take a necro and just send in my pets to kil off single targets. i don't dodge and kite and all that. i don't bother or just can't do it well.  at least with wow or lotro [i play pve solo] if i was attacking a single target that was 2-3 levels above me with crappy pve solo gear i really had to pay attention.  not with this game. and i know it will sound funny but having to pay a monthly sub makes me want to play more. when i have a sub i play almost 24/7 since i'm retired doing the 30 day sub and then don't play again for months. i got my character into the low 70's in a few days playing 24/7 and the launch auction house mess is a killer too. i realized i could kill solo with armour 20-25 levels below me if i kept my pets healthy and had a weapon somewhere close to my level.  i hate the crafting. with the auction down i was mad as heck i couldn't figure out the recipes. i don't like the discovery crafting system.  i'm analll about this but it peevs me i wasted mats trying to learn recipes and suchgring crafting thet best way. i hate the ability system. i like the get a new ability every few levels way to do it.anyway, i think i played about 135 hours the first 8-9 days and haven't played since.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by DKLond

I don't like it.

I feel the fans are forcing me to speak against the game, simply because I can't connect reality with what's being said about GW2.

If people had been less extreme in their supposed love for the game - I think I would have just let it be without comment.

But I can't just ignore how so many bad/hollow features are hailed as revolutionary or "good for the genre" - when I think they're quite the opposite.

Nobody can force anyone to do anything on the internet. If you are going to talk against a game you will - that is fact. Don't blame other for your negativity.

GW2 is interesting because oft times, it is these really polarizing situations that really make changes occur. I feel that there are several games, that came out close together that are polarizing in this way, GW2 - SWTOR - TSW. I think, all of them will influence the genre in the future. GW2 - the combat mechanics, SWTOR - the voice acting, TSW - Skill wheel and the basic premise.

• stevebmbsqdstevebmbsqd Member Posts: 448
    Originally posted by slicknslim88
    Originally posted by Aeander

I love it. One of the best games I have played in years - maybe of all time.

It makes me really, really sad that the playerbase dropped like a rock. The game did not deserve that.

Like others have said in previous posts, it's not nearly as low playerbase as some people believe (or want to believe).  Xfire is only a very very small portion of gamers playing the game, but I havn't been on Xfire since I was a wee chap playing Jedi Academy so I wouldn't know those numbers. Xfire numbers are a small portion, but their numbers do show a trend as well as Rptr's numbers as well and both are dropping at a very high rate. So at least with those gaming communities, GW2 doesn't hold many peoples gaming attention for long.

It must be mentioned though that a reason the playerbase has dropped could be due to the end of the year game launches.  I stopped playing for more than a week because I was playing Torchlight 2 and Borderlands 2 like a fiend.  Not to mention school stuff hitting me.  And these upcoming months are probably going to hit the playerbase as well with Halo 4, CoD, and other bigtime titles pulling peoples attention away.  I know I'll be playing Halo 4 for a long while when it's released.  Gonna give GW2 a break most likely. This could be the reason, but across many forums on the internet, lots of people are saying it is a good game, but it doesn't hold their interest for long and that it is too repetitive. Maybe these were ArenaNet's intentions. Maybe with some more time they will add some things to bring those players back?

Part of the reason why I believe GW2 will be extremely successful goes back to the no sub fee's argument.  We don't have to go through the pain of unsubscribing and subscribing everytime we feel like taking a break from it.  Making it more accessible to hop on and hop off. Sure. Whether it will continue to provide enough revenue for development of lots of new content will have to be seen. Decreased numbers will mean decreased cash shop revenue.

This also makes it tougher to gauge just how many people are still playing the game.  There is no sub accounts to count, and people are more comfortable giving the game a break because they aren't obligated to play because a sub fee is eating at their bank accounts.

But we'll have to see by Q1 of the upcoming year whether or not GW2 is succeeding or failing overall, because that's when the test of time will start to come down on it.  The fresh new games are past and players are picking and choosing which one's they want to devote their free time into.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

The PvP is shallow because there's almost no consequence to loss or victory, and there is no progression, not even with titles or points.

A game that pretends to be DAoC is going to get judged by DAoC's standards, and GW2 falls way WAY short.

First, GW2 never pretended to be DAoC (or DAoC II or whatever). Well, considering they have extremely similar RvR systems, and there are former DAoC folks on the Arenanet team.... I'd say they tried pretty hard to be DAoC 2. Not only that, but that's like saying "They were never trying to be a sequel to a GOOD game, they were trying to make a BAD game!" It's the ex-DAoC fans who pretended it was.

So PvP is "shallow" because you play it for fun and to win, and you don't get ranks and associated rewards which make you OP for those who don't have a rank yet? If anything, to me, that's something GW2 enhanced compared to DAoC. It's shallow because it's not as well developed, doesn't integrate well enough into the rest of the game, and doesn't have good enough reward/progression. 

GW2 is indeed not for the reward hungry crowd who need to have a number saying that they are better than anyone else in a video game. And yet the entire PvP system keeps a constant score for your server and shows you your points... fail argument is fail. You still have a classification of the realms in WvW though, but it's not individual epeen waving, it's your whole server working together. And that's different from DAoC how?

And you saying there are no consequences for loss or victory makes me wonder if you have even played the game. There are not enough. It can be so much more. And maybe will be if the devs keep expanding it like Mythic kept expanding RvR. 

Your whole argument is "Who cares if this isn't like DAoC! It's not trying to be a great PvP game, it's trying to be a shallow one!" 

• Caliburn101Caliburn101 Member Posts: 636
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Overall, one of the best games Ive played in years. Though admittedly it has grown boring to me. Not because of something like "no endgame" (IMO the whole endgame mindset is stupid), but simply because of the themepark style and combat. I prefer sandboxes and different styles of gameplay. It did make some nice changes from other games, but its still close enough to your standard MMO combat that after awhile I kind of feel like "yeah ive already done this for years". I really wish someone would finally come out with some completely new combat mechanics. Not going to go into detail about it here.... but yeah, theres so many ways combat could be vastly different between these games. Its a shame its stayed the way it has for all these years. But as far as GW2, its excellent for what it is and way above nearly any of the other similar types of games to release in the past decade.

They did - with Age of Conan at the start - then they dumbed it down....

.... far from the only problem with the game - primarily because of the sheer idiocy of Funcom's customer support policy and the game being released before it was ready....

.... nevertheless the original combat was great, and then they ruined it....

.... go figure....

• cybertruckercybertrucker Member UncommonPosts: 1,117
    Love it myself and haters are gonna hate.
  • TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Tayah

It's a decent themepark, but that doesn't say much.

I'll say, while games like SWTOR and LotRO have NO potential, GW2 has a decent amount to expand with.

They just really need to fix RvR. I don't understand how they could base their RvR on DAoC... but then make mistakes that DAoC didn't make.

Why is there a queue to get in to fight? Shouldn't be one. Its not needed. Not with 3 factions.

Why are the maps so small? They really limit tactics that way.

Why is there no progression system like realm ranks?

Why are there no tangible rewards beyond bragging rights? You should be able to boost your server's PvE experience by winning. That offered a huge amount of cooperation between PvE and PvP players in DAoC. Not to mention relic raids were huge, difficult, and always brought EVERYONE out, even people just running supplies.

Why is there no freaking Darkness Falls? They copied the passage of conflict, why not Darkness Falls???

This a million times over.  They touted how awesome WvsW would be and it sounded a lot like DAOC, but sadly, everything you said above is a big problem I have with their WvsW. With all the flaws, it doesn't even come close to how epic Pre-TOA/Old Frontiers RvR in DAOC was. I haven't bothered to log into GW2 in over a week now. The WvsW is what drew me to the game and it's no where near as good as it could have been, so it's drove me away from the game as well.

Former DAoC players here as well.  Actually, I do flash it up every blue moon for a month or two.  Anyway.  I agree with you.

A lot of the old DAoC crowd was quite excited over the seemingly next incarnation of RvR through GW2.  I dunno, maybe they'll flesh it out eventually to make it meaningful, but right now its like the rest of the game..shallow and MMO-lite.  I prefer substantive character progression and advancement, and GW2 doesn't offer it.

• TelondarielTelondariel Member Posts: 1,001
    Originally posted by Torvaldr
    Originally posted by Telondariel
    Originally posted by Tayah

It's a decent themepark, but that doesn't say much.

I'll say, while games like SWTOR and LotRO have NO potential, GW2 has a decent amount to expand with.

They just really need to fix RvR. I don't understand how they could base their RvR on DAoC... but then make mistakes that DAoC didn't make.

Why is there a queue to get in to fight? Shouldn't be one. Its not needed. Not with 3 factions.

Why are the maps so small? They really limit tactics that way.

Why is there no progression system like realm ranks?

Why are there no tangible rewards beyond bragging rights? You should be able to boost your server's PvE experience by winning. That offered a huge amount of cooperation between PvE and PvP players in DAoC. Not to mention relic raids were huge, difficult, and always brought EVERYONE out, even people just running supplies.

Why is there no freaking Darkness Falls? They copied the passage of conflict, why not Darkness Falls???

This a million times over.  They touted how awesome WvsW would be and it sounded a lot like DAOC, but sadly, everything you said above is a big problem I have with their WvsW. With all the flaws, it doesn't even come close to how epic Pre-TOA/Old Frontiers RvR in DAOC was. I haven't bothered to log into GW2 in over a week now. The WvsW is what drew me to the game and it's no where near as good as it could have been, so it's drove me away from the game as well.

Former DAoC players here as well.  Actually, I do flash it up every blue moon for a month or two.  Anyway.  I agree with you.

A lot of the old DAoC crowd was quite excited over the seemingly next incarnation of RvR through GW2.  I dunno, maybe they'll flesh it out eventually to make it meaningful, but right now its like the rest of the game..shallow and MMO-lite.  I prefer substantive character progression and advancement, and GW2 doesn't offer it.

I guess I don't understand the DAoC players.  It's all themepark pvp (GW2, RIFT, DAoC, WoW, EQ2, etc).  It's all contrived factions and prosaic boundaries.  It just doesn't seem that different from each other.  Two factions, three factions, whatever.

GW2 has been the most fun themepark pvp I've played and the most fun I've had in pvp since Lineage.

By that line alone, its obvious you don't understand DAoC as it most certainly is not "themepark" anything.  Its too bad you missed it.

• AerowynAerowyn Member Posts: 7,928

By that line alone, its obvious you don't understand DAoC as it most certainly is not "themepark" anything.  Its too bad you missed it.

DAOC was a hybrid game but definatly was a themepark "something".. but people imho have an odd way of classifing some games

I angered the clerk in a clothing shop today. She asked me what size I was and I said actual, because I am not to scale. I like vending machines 'cause snacks are better when they fall. If I buy a candy bar at a store, oftentimes, I will drop it... so that it achieves its maximum flavor potential. --Mitch Hedberg

• The_KorriganThe_Korrigan Member RarePosts: 3,455

DAoC was, or actually still is, definitely a theme park. Gameplay wise, it's an EQ clone.

I guess people thinking DAoC was/is a sandbox never played a real sandbox like UO or EvE.

Respect, walk, what did you say?
    Respect, walk
    Are you talkin' to me? Are you talkin' to me?
    - PANTERA at HELLFEST 2023
    Yes, they are back !