Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

So how much do you like Guild Wars 2?

Comments

• halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Originally posted by The_Korrigan

Best MMO in the last 8 years, definitely.

Can't wait for the halloween event.

Whenever i read GW2 is best MMO in last 8 years i can't help but chuckle. Rampant bots, bugs, broken DE's, SP's. Unbalanced WVW which allows players to join the winning server just to overload it futher and make it one sided affair..and list goes on.

Each to his own i guess.

• timeraidertimeraider Member UncommonPosts: 865
    Originally posted by halflife25

Whenever i read GW2 is best MMO in last 8 years i can't help but chuckle. Rampant bots, bugs, broken DE's, SP's. Unbalanced WVW which allows players to join the winning server just to overload it futher and make it one sided affair..and list goes on.

Each to his own i guess.

this... not the whine, but the last sentence :D

Ashes of Creation Referral link - Help me to help you!
    https://ashesofcreation.com/r/Y4U3PQCASUPJ5SED
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    I keep meaning to start on my alt Ranger but I just cant drag myself away from my Mesmer. Orr is an amazing place too, love running around in there.
    Originally posted by timeraider
    Originally posted by halflife25

Each to his own i guess.

this... not the whine, but the last sentence :D

And wooooooshhhh!!!!!

Yeah i was whining. Whatever helps you feel good bud! 

• tank017tank017 Member Posts: 2,192
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    More great poll results for GW2.  Nothing new to see here.

I wouldnt call the high vote for "its ok for while" as "great poll results"

• RandaynRandayn Member UncommonPosts: 904

70 trait points giving you access to stat buffs and procs, much better consumables with multiple stat buffs, jewelry with multiple stats, runes with multiple stats, all utility & elite skills available, armor pieces (like helmet & shoulders) which dont exist at lower levels, as well as rare / exotic / legendary gear which also dont exist at lower levels (only white and blue at first, then green after awhile).

Just thought Id point this out...GW2 fans always say that gear doesn't matter..yet you use it to grade the game....please make up your mind

Originally posted by tank017
    Originally posted by Eir_S
    More great poll results for GW2.  Nothing new to see here.

I wouldnt call the high vote for "its ok for while" as "great poll results"

this....I voted this as well and if anyone knows me, my critisisms of the game have been harsh....Ok = 6 out of 10...not 9.3 out of 10

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by Randayn

70 trait points giving you access to stat buffs and procs, much better consumables with multiple stat buffs, jewelry with multiple stats, runes with multiple stats, all utility & elite skills available, armor pieces (like helmet & shoulders) which dont exist at lower levels, as well as rare / exotic / legendary gear which also dont exist at lower levels (only white and blue at first, then green after awhile).

Just thought Id point this out...GW2 fans always say that gear doesn't matter..yet you use it to grade the game....please make up your mind

This might be hard to understand even for someone as clever as you but fans or any group of people dont necesarilly share opinions on anything. Believe it or not we are not zergs that are being instructed what to say by an overmind. We have our own opinions.

Originally posted by austriacus

This might be hard to understand even for someone as clever as you but fans or any group of people dont necesarilly share opinions on anything. Believe it or not we are not zergs that are being instructed what to say by an overmind. We have our own opinions.

Im just having fun picking at a hypocrite...not the entire fanbase....thanks have a nice day

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    I like it an unhealthy amount. As in, I look like Rosie o'donnell.
  • kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759

Im just having fun picking at a hypocrite...not the entire fanbase....thanks have a nice day

You really shouldnt use words you dont understand the meaning of. Where exactly did I say anything about gear not mattering? That would kind of be a requirement for me supposedly being a hypocrite. Of course gear matters, and Anet has said (as Ive quoted them on many times in the past) that gear is more important in GW2 than in GW1. It's just not a steep progression where youre completely useless without having some of the best gear like you see in many other games.

• JuaksJuaks Member UncommonPosts: 271

It's  a fantastic MMORPG. Haters cant argue the 9.0 metacritic score.

I am still having a blast and enjoying every minute. I am looking forward the develoment of the game and future content/expansions

• evolver1972evolver1972 Member Posts: 1,118
    Originally posted by grimal
    Originally posted by evolver1972
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer
    Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by GeezerGamer

I really struggle to understand the concept of endgame in GW2. I've seen the list of things to do at 80. I have seen all that stuff everywhere else. OK, that's fine, Therei s a lot of stuff to keep one's self occupied after 80. Mostly it's not so much that there is nothing to do, but there is little reason to do it. That's all subjective so, I really won't argue with anyone who says they are having fun at 80. I get that. But the one thing I just cannot seem to get a grasp on is this map exploration completion. Once I get to 80, I then have to go into a different starter area, I am foced into down leveling and I have to start all over again from scratch. In GW2 it's called "Endgame" In Every other MMO I've ever played, it's called "Leveling an alt"

If you consider that "starting from scratch" then I think youre beyond any help that can be found here. Its not so much like leveling an alt,  its more similar to a system like in DDO with reincarnation (kind of like starting over, but with bonuses that make you stronger), except that youre not stuck in that low level reincarnated form and can jump between low and high level content as you please.

Not sure if youv ever played DDO, but if you have you would know, and others on this site can tell you the same, that just because you hit max level doesnt mean youve reached the end. People continue through multiple reincarnations. Is there a solid endgame? No. Its about enjoying the entire game, not just the last part of the game. Same goes for GW2. Wouldnt you rather have a game that is pretty enjoyable throughout the entire thing regardless of level, instead of  a game that forces you to plow through 90% of the game as quick as possible to get to the last 10% that is supposed to be "good" and "fun"?

One's overall power compared to the zone is irrelevant. Go buy a full set of BoA gear in WoW and put max enchants on it and start an alt. It will be the same effect. Yes, I understand that I'm not contributing to my map completion on a single character, but that's only one aspect of it. The main point s that I am still "preogresing" through starter zone content as a low level toon. It's a task, it needs to be done. I'm not even saying it wouldn't be fun. I have always played lots of alts. But I would hardly define it as "endgame"

I think what Arenanet it trying to do is get people to look past "endgame" and just play the game.  In other words, stop trying to look ahead at what may be to come and just play whatever and however you want to play.

Some people won't see it that way and that's fine.    Personally, though, I'd rather just play.

Maybe that's where this game fails to be unique to me.  I always play MMOs for the journey.  I am never in it for the endgame.

So if I have been doing this all along, it's really not a breath of fresh air for me.  Maybe that's why I "don't get it."

I can't really argue your point there.  I personally think the game's mechanics and presentation are also refreshing, but I get that some people wouldn't.  Add to that your style of playing the story and world and I can certainly see why you wouldn't "get it".

Hopefully, there's something on the horizon that appeals to you that will deliver.  It does seem there are quite a few games coming that seem to focus more on the story (whether it be themepark or sandbox) rather than on some endgame grind.

You want me to pay to play a game I already paid for???

Be afraid.....The dragons are HERE!

• lathaanlathaan Member UncommonPosts: 476
    after half a life full of games i can say: its the best yet. hands down.
  • evilastroevilastro Member Posts: 4,270
    Originally posted by kaiser3282

You really shouldnt use words you dont understand the meaning of. Where exactly did I say anything about gear not mattering? That would kind of be a requirement for me supposedly being a hypocrite. Of course gear matters, and Anet has said (as Ive quoted them on many times in the past) that gear is more important in GW2 than in GW1. It's just not a steep progression where youre completely useless without having some of the best gear like you see in many other games.

Just someone who didnt understand that there is minimal grind to get to max power, not that specs and items are useless. Its very easy to get level 80 exotics, which are as powerful as you are going to get in terms of item power, however if you want awesome appearances you should expect to grind like in any other MMO.

• RavingRabbidRavingRabbid Member UncommonPosts: 1,168
    I voted that's its ok for a while. It's a good game but unfortunately the way the game is setup it doesn't hold my attention for very long. I don't find myself logging in for very long when I do play.

All my opinions are just that..opinions. If you like my opinions..coolness.If you dont like my opinion....I really dont care.
    Playing: ESO, WOT, Smite, and Marvel Heroes

• nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 2,062
    Originally posted by Torgrim

Well the question is quite blunt.

I will go for number 5.

You?

Voted: It's okay for a while. I've listed my reasons plenty in other threads, so I won't troll and list them again. It's not a bad game, and I may come back to it one day. Until then, gonna stick to less chaotic games.

Originally posted by Aerowyn
    It's not a bad game, just a grindy game that feels generic.  I had a little bit of fun, but it had worn thin too quickly.

for a grindy generic game that gets boring fast you do seem to have a keen continued interest in it

[mod edit]

[mod edit]

I've given you detailed and objective reasons why this game is not great...to call it blind hatred is crazy.  I will never hate something just to hate it.  I dislike the direction MMO's are going in and believe that staying silent would only speed up the process.

trust me bitching 24/7 on these forums will get you nowhere:) funny you complain you hate the direction MMOs are going yet the first themepark to take the biggest departure from the norm you feel is ruining the genre

You really need to chill. OP asked for our opinions. And those opinions can be in favor of GW2 or not. There is no need to call people 'haters' or jump their throat for giving an opinion. If you want to get angry maybe take it out on OP for starting such a topic?

How many more mod edits you need before you realise that you need to cool down a bit?
  • UmbabaUmbaba Member UncommonPosts: 7

Ooook... so to clarify: this is my own opinion and it is not to be taken as a fact of the game so there is no need to go all fanboyrage on me. I havent played the game much so my information might be wrong...

I voted for: its ok for a while because:

First the game feels very repetetive. My highest character is 55 norn necro and that is as far as i could bare. All the Hearts and DE's are very similar and it really doesnt feel very different from a quest in for example wow. I actually would prefer going talking to a questgiver because then you can atleast get into some lore. Also i miss rewards :(

Dungeons, done 3 so far, were all very linear. Lots of story and lore i guess but nothing for an adventurer like me. 

Storyline of the norn was very childish and badly written for my taste. Not to mention that as a necromancer you are forced to be a kind hearted person with a miniskirt and bows. Class uniqueness is something i look in an MMO and in GW they all seem to be able to do everything and that is boring. IF people get everything they get bored...Tried other classes after this but the glitter was gone and my rainbowglasses broken.

Crafting wasnt anything new to me as far as i got.

Downleveling... why god why... i know it might be fun for people who wanto do all the things on same character but for me it was a bore. It felt like i wasnt progressing at all.

Waypoints everywhere.. why? 

Vistas and Poi's were fun for the first few areas but then started feeling very dull.

Very antisocial. I know i know.. "go to a social guild.." and "if ur not social its ur own fault" . No no noooooo. Guilds are just like chatrooms not much more to them. De´s and hearts dont really make you go for social interaction wich leaves you all alone... :(

Overall too much candy and too little depth. This game is in my opinion made for those people who dont really have time for a very deep game.

• meddyckmeddyck Member UncommonPosts: 1,282
    It's ok for a while. I wanted to love WvW, but I just don't. I would enjoy sPvP more if it gave me xp so it could function as an alternative leveling path to doing PvE events. The world is awesome and it's fun exploring, gathering, and doing events for a while. But I don't see myself playing it daily for more than another month or two.

DAOC Live (inactive): R11 Cleric R11 Druid R11 Minstrel R9 Eldritch R6 Sorc R6 Scout R6 Healer

• IntheShadowsIntheShadows Member Posts: 58
    Originally posted by Umbaba

Ooook... so to clarify: this is my own opinion and it is not to be taken as a fact of the game so there is no need to go all fanboyrage on me. I havent played the game much so my information might be wrong...

First the game feels very repetetive. My highest character is 55 norn necro and that is as far as i could bare. All the Hearts and DE's are very similar and it really doesnt feel very different from a quest in for example wow. I actually would prefer going talking to a questgiver because then you can atleast get into some lore. Also i miss rewards :(

Dungeons, done 3 so far, were all very linear. Lots of story and lore i guess but nothing for an adventurer like me. 

Storyline of the norn was very childish and badly written for my taste. Not to mention that as a necromancer you are forced to be a kind hearted person with a miniskirt and bows. Class uniqueness is something i look in an MMO and in GW they all seem to be able to do everything and that is boring. IF people get everything they get bored...Tried other classes after this but the glitter was gone and my rainbowglasses broken.

Downleveling... why god why... i know it might be fun for people who wanto do all the things on same character but for me it was a bore. It felt like i wasnt progressing at all.

Vistas and Poi's were fun for the first few areas but then started feeling very dull.

Very antisocial. I know i know.. "go to a social guild.." and "if ur not social its ur own fault" . No no noooooo. Guilds are just like chatrooms not much more to them. De´s and hearts dont really make you go for social interaction wich leaves you all alone... :(

Overall too much candy and too little depth. This game is in my opinion made for those people who dont really have time for a very deep game.

You echo a lot of my own thoughts. I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't care for the downleveling. I understand why it's it's there, but there is something very satisfying about going back to lower level content and blowing through it. It gives me a sense of my character growing instead of staying the same forever. Yes, starter zones will be a bit easier, but my Ele still can't take on a vet/champion without help, and it's discouraging.

• Tonin109Tonin109 Member Posts: 201

people say there is no end game in GW2

what do you call end game? is it like  Wow ? grinding dungeons over and over again?

i'm curious to see the definition of end game ?

Originally posted by Tonin109

people say there is no end game in GW2

what do you call end game? is it like  Wow ? grinding dungeons over and over again?

i'm curious to see the definition of end game ?

And you don't grind GW2 dungeons over and over again for tokens to buy gear? or grind 200 hours for a legendary weapon? yes in GW2 tier based gear grind has been taken out but as far as grinding is connerned it is still there. Only because you take out tier based gears out of the game and replace it with cosmetics doesn't mean you will get all the gear handed to you on silver platter.

• austriacusaustriacus Member UncommonPosts: 618
    Originally posted by IntheShadows
    Originally posted by Umbaba

You echo a lot of my own thoughts. I feel like I'm one of the few people who don't care for the downleveling. I understand why it's it's there, but there is something very satisfying about going back to lower level content and blowing through it. It gives me a sense of my character growing instead of staying the same forever. Yes, starter zones will be a bit easier, but my Ele still can't take on a vet/champion without help, and it's discouraging.

How about instead of wanting bigger numbers become a better player yourself. There are tons of videos in youtube of people taking down champion group events SOLO there are also some of them even from orr.

The progression comes in just playing better your character overall instead of increasing numbers.

• Gobstopper3DGobstopper3D Member RarePosts: 965
    ONly being playing now for  a week or two and it's ok for about an hour a day.  Can't deal with it more than that.  Just tried sPVP last night..."Zerg Fest" is putting it mildly.  If I want that I will go back to Warhammer,  which I think has better PVP mechanics.

I'm not an IT Specialist, Game Developer, or Clairvoyant in real life, but like others on here, I play one on the internet.