Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MMORPG in sight its going to be a long year..

Comments

• worldalphaworldalpha Member Posts: 403
    Guess it is a good time to release an MMO?

Thanks,
    Mike
    Working on Social Strategy MMORTS (now Launched!) http://www.worldalpha.com

• kaiser3282kaiser3282 Member UncommonPosts: 2,759
    Originally posted by Pynda

Originally posted by Kyleran
    Sorry, I just can't put any faith into Aventurine and their promises

Nor I. Aventurine's going to have to fill that big, empty world up with something more than just a PvP battleground before I will be a believer. But here's hoping they do.

Um... what? Have you even played DF? Go here: http://yourmom.at/agon/, then check the option for "Cover entire map"

Sure there are some empty areas between the spawns, and they could do with making more use of some areas (such as some of the massive buildings they have which are empty inside and just 1 or 2 mob spawns outside). But I would hardly call the world empty.

With them restructuring the entire world and relocating everything, I think it will be a bit better in UW too.

From Tasos:

"The world has been streamlined; a lot of previously empty areas have been compacted, and a large amount of the unused water part of the world has been removed from the game, with the intent of bringing the interest points closer to each other. The map still retains its original structure, with the mainland and its 4 subcontinents, but everything is now completely different"

• SilokSilok Member UncommonPosts: 732

I was in the same boat has you, but i found this thread in FFXI forum about restarting the game fresh, so now im playing FFXI with a new character, with some good peoples and this is real fun.

Try your old classics, they are way better then the new ones and no this is not nostalgia.

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,751
        Do some research, maybe there are some indie MMOs coming out that are under the radar?....Or maybe go back and try an older MMO you always wanted to play??....Can always play multiplayer co-ops also instead of MMOs or good ole single player games....There are literally tons of options out there now.
  • FrodoFraginsFrodoFragins Member EpicPosts: 5,903
    Originally posted by Dblstd

It's a very fortunate  time for an established game like Rift to be releasing an expansion as there simply is nothing on the horizon.

I guess.  I think they're only going to keep losing people unless they change payment plans though.

• kb056kb056 Member CommonPosts: 423

I'm in the same boat as you. Last game tried was SWToR..'nough said, there.

The Repopulation is the only game I am looking at but not much hope for it given it's very lengthy list of features and, virtually, no money. One can only hope, i guess.

• WellspringWellspring Member EpicPosts: 1,464
    Originally posted by rush1984

I'm so bored right now i litteraly have no games to play lol:(

Every mmorpg i have played in the last few years have been a dissapointment :( and i have now run out of mmorpgs to play

the last one being gw2 after making a lvl 80 i have lost the will to even log in on that game

not sure if im just done with mmorpgs or they are just all crap

anyone else in the same boat? or what game are you playing?

I feel the same way. I played gw2 until lvl 72, and now I can't find any motivation to login either.

I am excited at The WarZ though. It's basically an MMO version of DayZ. Not sure if it'll be any good or not yet, but I'm hopeful. Alpha testing starts on Monday!

--------------------------------------------
  • PyndaPynda Member UncommonPosts: 856

Originally posted by kaiser3282
    Originally posted by Pynda   Originally posted by Kyleran Sorry, I just can't put any faith into Aventurine and their promises
      Nor I. Aventurine's going to have to fill that big, empty world up with something more than just a PvP battleground before I will be a believer. But here's hoping they do.
    Um... what? Have you even played DF? Go here: http://yourmom.at/agon/, then check the option for "Cover entire map"

Sure there are some empty areas between the spawns, and they could do with making more use of some areas (such as some of the massive buildings they have which are empty inside and just 1 or 2 mob spawns outside). But I would hardly call the world empty.

Nope Kaiser, I haven't investigated Darkfall seriously since its initial release. And that is what I was referring to. But I'm not a complete Luddite. The release of UW looks like it will be a good time to give the game another chance. And if it has something more to offer (now) than endless head bashing, I would be willing to give it a shot.

• CallsignVegaCallsignVega Member UncommonPosts: 288

Darkfall: Unholy Wars is where it's going to be at this fall/winter. 

Everything else out there is trash. I just deleted GW2, simply retarded game. 

• OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726

Warz is just another gank fest.  I play games to have fun, not to get frustrated constantly restarting.  You have to be a masochist to like games like that.

Darkfall designers seemed to have learned their lesson putting a cap on skills.  I wish them luck and hope they produce a better game than DF was.  Might give this game a try again.

But you are right, nothing really to get excited about, this year or next.  For those that think TESO will be out in 2013, that is just not going to happen.  

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829

Every mmorpg i have played in the last few years have been a dissapointment :( and i have now run out of mmorpgs to play

the last one being gw2 after making a lvl 80 i have lost the will to even log in on that game

not sure if im just done with mmorpgs or they are just all crap

Find a Korean MMO to play =P

I have the feeling you play to max level as fast as possible and then get bored, Korean MMO's are known for taking a player much longer to reach the level cap.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• KingJigglyKingJiggly Member Posts: 777
    You should try hello kitty. Best pvp ever.
  • Crunchy222Crunchy222 Member CommonPosts: 386

Somewhere along the line we went from gamers who just wanted to play games to gamers who NEED to have a specific checklist of 500 features and mechanics that all work flawlessly in the exact manner of execution we envisioned...or the game is CRAP!

I agree that theres a lot of  same old out there, people keep hyping it up, buying it, then tossing it away with a lot of emotional baggage involved, which is strange to me but people seem to treat mmorpgs like relationships or marriage:

...so much love at prelaunch, omg best game ever during honeymoon, well these issues can be worked out...i hope....WTF worst game ever im never playing another XXX made game again this is the worst game ever and every developer should be locked in jail....oh but this new game loots soooooo goooood...so on and so forth.  Its endless.  The bad game get bought on overhype wich gamers hear eat right out of the spoon fed by the dev marketing department...and therefore nothing unique needs to be done.

Anyway, sorry for the rant, OP needs to work at a bar on the weekends after his 3 engineering jobs and getting 5 doctorates while being an astronomer but hes got tons of times for mmorpgs....you know something on the side from his unnaturally busy schedule that includes gaming...just to take his mind of the lack of mmorpgs he likes....just sayin XD

• IcewhiteIcewhite Member Posts: 6,403

Perhaps it's a sign to peruse the shelf and see what you gave up on too soon?

You know, that game you were liking ok until the Herd declared it Dead.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• KuppaKuppa Member UncommonPosts: 3,292
    Still playing GW2, it will definately last me longer than a year. PS2 on my radar as well.

Originally posted by Crunchy222

Somewhere along the line we went from gamers who just wanted to play games to gamers who NEED to have a specific checklist of 500 features and mechanics that all work flawlessly in the exact manner of execution we envisioned...or the game is CRAP!

I wish it was vaguely possible to point a finger at When that happened, exactly.

Tempting to blame a single event.  But the situation's almost certainly far more complicated than that.

Maybe just this particular forum, with 50 different ideas of what the Perfect Game is, exactly.  Hair-splitting the available games so finely that often a single feature is the only difference...or slicing so broadly that we can argue forever over exactly what features are required for the 'true' Perfect Game.

Knowing that no one can possibly make the game with everything we want in it.  Allowing us to remain good pedagogues, score some bonus forum points.

Self-pity imprisons us in the walls of our own self-absorption. The whole world shrinks down to the size of our problem, and the more we dwell on it, the smaller we are and the larger the problem seems to grow.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001

Been playing single player games.

Skyrim, Planescape Torment, Witcher 2 and now Dishonored and X-Com.

I still play a bit of Tera, Vanguard, Final Fantasy 14 and sometimes log into Aion but I keep joining Tera guilds that die and the others are fun but not something I feel like putting time into.

Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • halflife25halflife25 Member Posts: 737
    Playing single player does the trick every time i need a break from online games.
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363

The actual title of this thread should be, "When will they release an MMO LIKE I THINK IT SHOULD BE?" There needs to be whining sound with the title also.  There have been several MMO's released this year. Just because you don't like them does not make them any less. They are MMO's - GW2, TSW, TERA , SWTOR.

Maybe the OP should actually design and publish his own MMO - that way he can't complain but others will. He will see how hard it is to design and publish a good game nowadays.

• MothanosMothanos Member UncommonPosts: 1,910

Guildwars 2 will feed my needs for at least one more year + maybe some hints about the next expansion.
    What else do you need at this time ?

Wow became hello kitty island
    SWTOR was fun for 2 weeks
    PS2 might be alot of fun to no release date yet ?
    AA next year

GW2 is just to good to pass up for any crap on the market.
    Personal vieuw is personal offcourse.

• LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965

GW 2 is still having some growing pains. But it will get better.

Other than that , it might be a good year for return to singleplayer games :P

But honestly. Aside from Planetside 2 (which is crushing every 2 minutes for me) we will have DayZ standalone very very soon.

And than from MMO side. Dont forget that RIFT, TERA , TSW and SWTOR are still here. And might be worth second look.

Than also Neverwinter will launch soon , RaiderZ ... not so shabby. LOTRO Rohan - also looks good.

And Darkfall 2 , might turn out to be suprise hit ?

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75

I am in a similar boat as the OP. I have 2 lvl 80 characters already in GW2 (2nd one was rushed), I had a lot of fun with GW2 but after getting destroyer weapons and full exo gear, I ran out of stuff to do. I kept logging on to do some WvW/sPvP but both are so pointless sadly. Don't tell me to get legendary weapons please, they're nice looking no doubt but a massive waste of time IMO. 

So right now I am just searching for an MMO that could keep me a bit longer than just 1-2 months. I would love to try WoW/Rift etc. but I just don't have the money to subscribe. :( I wished the P2P MMOs could actually change to B2P like GW2, I would be trying out rift/wow/tera all day.

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Originally posted by 1vald2

I am in a similar boat as the OP. I have 2 lvl 80 characters already in GW2 (2nd one was rushed), I had a lot of fun with GW2 but after getting destroyer weapons and full exo gear, I ran out of stuff to do. I kept logging on to do some WvW/sPvP but both are so pointless sadly. Don't tell me to get legendary weapons please, they're nice looking no doubt but a massive waste of time IMO. 

So right now I am just searching for an MMO that could keep me a bit longer than just 1-2 months. I would love to try WoW/Rift etc. but I just don't have the money to subscribe. :( I wished the P2P MMOs could actually change to B2P like GW2, I would be trying out rift/wow/tera all day.

I don't get the 'NEED' to rush to max level. Never got it never will. Gaming, to me, like life is about the journey not getting to Max lvl to pawn people and things. Just me.

Right now, for me, GW2 will keep me going for a while. The journey is the fun part.

• 1vald21vald2 Member UncommonPosts: 75
    Originally posted by botrytis

I don't get the 'NEED' to rush to max level. Never got it never will. Gaming, to me, like life is about the journey not getting to Max lvl to pawn people and things. Just me.

Right now, for me, GW2 will keep me going for a while. The journey is the fun part.

Don't get me wrong there, only the 2nd character was "rushed" to 80 and I never said the journey wasn't fun. The journey is just too short IMO. 250-300 hours give or take only. Honestly, it's more than I could've hope for from a 57€ game. So I recommend the game to anyone, since you can always log back in anytime when you feel like it again (and I will after this extended break or until the expansion comes out).

PS: lvl 80 is where you can get 99% of the cool looking stuff, hence "rushing" the second character :P

So right now I am just searching for an MMO that could keep me a bit longer than just 1-2 months.

Is that even possible, when you initially attack new games in locust mode?

Just submitting that your own play style may be your biggest enemy here, rather than Devs.