Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No one has any money..Yet

delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 7,081

I do a lot of traveling for my job in the United States, every place I go its the same.  No jobs ,no money.

Yet.... The malls are full, everyone is dressed nice, and arms full of bags.  In the parking lots I see everyone has a brand new car, or at least, less than two years old.

Yet.... fuel prices are high and everyone is driving as if nothing, one person in the car, and on their I phone's.

Yet....You viset a friend and they have 55" TV's, at least one computer, high speed internet, ten year olds running around the house with their I phones. And often two or more cars.

I ask, how are they doing it ?.....The only thing I could think of is credit cards, and un-paid loans.  Us Americans refuse to go without !!!!

Comments

• dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699

You premise is incorrect.  There are plenty of people who have money saved.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

• DewmDewm Member UncommonPosts: 1,337

I don't make a ton of money..

But I have a house that I am paying off.

I have a 55" tv

I have a 03' vehicle.

have 3 computers.

galaxy S2.

how you ask?

Well I started working 40hrs a week at age 17, been working 40+hrs a week since.. I've never taken a vacation longer then 1-2 days.

Saved up a fair amount of money, enough for a 30k down payment on a home when I was 21.

Bought my 03' chevy trailblazer outright a little over a year ago (again I saved up) before that I had a 95 Geo Metro.

I waited for our local carrier to start selling the galaxy S2's (at the time they were aroudn $500ea.) but our local store had a promotional, if you were one of the 1st 10 people into there store you got a free S2 (with a 2 year contract) So I woke up around 6 oclock one day, got there..was the first in line, waited for 30 minutes and got a free phone.

So with some money managment and some good saving you can do pretty well. I am 23 and make roughly 35k a year. its not a ton (I think I am actually pretty close to the "poverty line")... but no complaints from me. I work hard and get rewarded. Just like a MMO.

Please check out my channel. I do gaming reviews, gaming related reviews & lets plays. Thanks!
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BettyofDewm/videos

• DOGMA1138DOGMA1138 Member UncommonPosts: 476

You didn't get a free phone, you just pay for it over those 24 months, there isn't such thing as free stuff..

Yeah some countries have problems with credit, mainly the US and the UK at this time, many countries actually do not have credit cards(doesn't mean they don't have payment cards, just no credit, or they have bank credit only).

I don't have a credit card, i have a card which has "credit" which is bank credit, means the bank allocates credit to that card based on how much money i have in the bank, and my income, i don't pay interest on purchases i make with it but the monthly amount i can charge on it is limited(if you buy something with payments then the whole amount is deducted form your "credit").

Granted i don't own a house(since they will not give a mortgage to some one under 30 here with out a family with a decent interest rate), but I'm paying quite a large amount in rent, i don't have a car since i never worked at a job in which i was not entitled to a company car but they are taxing that now quite painfully(750-800US a month in value tax), but i still manage to save quite allot of money, and I'm rather will invested.

The problem in the US is that you just never had to live on your own, the post world war bubble created an influx of cash that allowed people to give out credit to those who didn't get in on the fun in order to live the American Dream, so every time there is a crisis it's not that people suddenly lose all their money, every one around them just realizes that they didn't had any money in the first place...