Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For everyone who hasn't yet, give Rift a try

1235»

Comments

• cronius77cronius77 Member UncommonPosts: 1,652
    Originally posted by Asleep
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by KaiserAlexander

you guys don't realize that, while regular questing in rift is terribly bland, the game is ALL about endgame.

you now have the option of leveling by instant adventure, which speeds up leveling enormously.

i too got hooked to rift not at the first, but at the second sight.

mmorpgers, instead of being a swarm of mmo-devouring locusts, need to learn that some mmorpgs improve a lot upon relase, and NO mmorpg improved as much in such a short time as rift.

The end game in Rift is grind, grind, grind. It is all about Uber armor - sorry I played Rift for a year and got off that cycle of, 'OH, the next dungeon is coming out - time to group and grind out the next Uber armor for that dungeon'. Sorry, it is boring as hell and not fun with players who take it like a job.

The regular play in Rift is grind, grind, grind also. It is not that fun of a game and the game world is really small.

I think this is true. Infact , I kinda fell into what I thought was a valid way of looking at mmorpgs, with the gw2 hype and I told people and myself that I didnt need gear grind to enjoy a game, but I found out from gw2 that it is exactly what I like about MMOs.

I like to group up, raid up, guild up, help those people gear up, and work together to take on new challenges. I like the sense of making my character a fraction better, to help my group/raid/guild even if by a fraction. And while I agree you can get this type of gameplay alot of places, I do especially like Rift for its Rifts, and Zone events, its class system, its look and feel, and its developer.

So while I could see why someone might point out grind, or it being so much like other games, the gear treadmill and so forth as a negative, to me its a positive.

grinding gear in games has been out since UO and EQ and its what EQ was known for . These guys arguging guild wars 2 is su great because you have no missions and objectives for end game are casuals and all you have to do is look at majority of their old posts to see they are casuals who dont have time to do any raiding and gear grinding. Not ALL but most on this site seem to be and their post history doesnt lie. With that being said games are ment to be fun for everyone and guild wars 2 does hit the nail for complete casual you put no effort in and are as equal as me putting 100 hours in. Its great but would of been much much better as a facebook game honestly. I like you enjoy running dungeons and defeating epic bosses and being rewarded for it. Isnt that exactly what DnD was all about back in the tabletop nerd days? You go into a dungeon slay monsters and defeat a puzzle and get a treasure chest you have to untrap to get that +3 magic sword.

These guys and girls knocking gear in games might as well go back and knock table top games and eq uo daoc etc That being said rift has WAY more ways  at 50 then wow ever does to have fun . You have standard stuff like wow raiding and pvp and heroics . BUT heres the thing rift has chronicles which you can duo and solo for rewards and each one tells a story of what is going on in the world. Then you also have zone wide events going off all the time in the 50s zones shimmersand and stillmoor IPP etc. So in terms of versitility i think rift leads even guild wars 2 and by far wow has nothing on it , its daily quests heroics and 3 raids. Rift has what 8 raids now going on and 2 different types of pvp from zerge pvp to warfronts.

• DiscopumperDiscopumper Member Posts: 2

Personally, i will never go back to Rift. It's just a medicore pve mmo with tacked on pvp like million others.

And it's population is way to down now for a real mmo. Let's be honest here, if Trion was owned by EA then Rift would have been f2p half a year ago and servers closed by now.

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342

Atrocious animation and character models, utterly generic world.

While Trion pumps out considerable amount of content, it is still atrocious and generic.

• VikingGamerVikingGamer Member UncommonPosts: 1,350
    Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Rift started out very WoW and has since branched out into many non wow systems and features. The WoW option of playstyle is still there and you're more than welcome to play Rift that way. However, I don't want to just play Rift like I would play WoW and fortunately the game has expanded and continues to offer new ways to experience the game.

Storm Legion will push Rift even further away from the WoW mold and that is a good thing in my book. However, I still enjoy the fact that I have those standard hubs, dungeons and raids available to me if and when I feel the urge.

how so? What new ways?

While Rift expanded, they just grabbed up other game ideas, to my knowledge.  Is there something unique to Rift?

I'm not intentionally trying to be difficult, but frankly, I'm a tad bored of playing the same rehashed ideas from game to game.  Rift has Public Quests / Events / Rifts .. Rift has public housing.  Just asking if by something non-WoW, that means something brand new?

It's been awhile and this game fell off my radar.

Beyond rifts there are expert rifts, raid rifts, crafting rifts, slivers, zone events, instant adventures, chronicles, onslaughts, conquest and with the expansion will come carnages and hunt rifts. There is a lot of ways to spend your time in this game either leveling or at endgame. I would say that quest leveling and endgame raiding are still the core features and that makes the game at its heart very WoW like so if you are bored with that model you might want to look for something that is more breaking the mold than reshaping it. But if you are looking for something that is simply stepwise different from WoW then Rift is a great choice.

All die, so die well.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by cronius77

grinding gear in games has been out since UO and EQ and its what EQ was known for .

EQ was a much different animal.  I am going to use casual players as the base here, because the amount of hardcore raiders is small, less than 5%.  As a casual player in Rift you mostly grind for gear.  As a casual player in EQ you hunted for gear.  There s a pretty big difference here, which Ill get to later.

These guys arguging guild wars 2 is su great because you have no missions and objectives for end game are casuals and all you have to do is look at majority of their old posts to see they are casuals who dont have time to do any raiding and gear grinding. Not ALL but most on this site seem to be and their post history doesnt lie.

A lot of casuals have plenty of time on their hands.  Nice generalization.

With that being said games are ment to be fun for everyone and guild wars 2 does hit the nail for complete casual you put no effort in and are as equal as me putting 100 hours in. Its great but would of been much much better as a facebook game honestly.

This is just condescending nonsense

I like you enjoy running dungeons and defeating epic bosses and being rewarded for it. Isnt that exactly what DnD was all about back in the tabletop nerd days? You go into a dungeon slay monsters and defeat a puzzle and get a treasure chest you have to untrap to get that +3 magic sword.

BINGO.  This is the difference between EQ and Rift.  EQ = you kill that mob and excitedly look at his corpse to see what he dropped.  Rift = you run a dungeon and get some currency to buy an item from a vendor.

Now hardcore raiders will see most of ther drops from raid mob drops, but this isnt the main player base here.  Early on a casual may see some gear from dungeon mob drops.  But as time goes on, gear is bought, not looted.  It takes out so much of the thrll of gear acquisition for me.

Not to mention, gear is cycled out significantly faster in Rift.   Gear is easier to obtain and swiftly replaced.  That is how you balance it so the carrot is still being chased.  

These guys and girls knocking gear in games might as well go back and knock table top games and eq uo daoc etc That being said rift has WAY more ways  at 50 then wow ever does to have fun .

so we have gone from gw2 bashing to wow bashing.  why not discuss rift on its own merits?

You have standard stuff like wow raiding and pvp and heroics . BUT heres the thing rift has chronicles which you can duo and solo for rewards and each one tells a story of what is going on in the world.

You act like this is some robust system with hours of game play.  You do em once for the story, and after that they are no different than WoW dailies.  They are cool at first, but its not exactly a robust feature since there are only 3 of them, and the expansion is only adding one.

Then you also have zone wide events going off all the time in the 50s zones shimmersand and stillmoor IPP etc. So in terms of versitility i think rift leads even guild wars 2 and by far wow has nothing on it , its daily quests heroics and 3 raids. Rift has what 8 raids now going on and 2 different types of pvp from zerge pvp to warfronts.

WoW has only 3 raids but Rift has 8?  Huh?  WoW has obsolete raids too, nice that you want to count GSB and RoS but wont count WoWs old raids.  And by your standards Rift will be down to 3 raids in 2 weeks anyway.

And arena doesnt count as a seperate type of PvP?

And things like a the robust pet battle system dont count as extra content?  You didnt mention scenarios either.

Im not trying to say Rift doesnt have a lot going on at max level, but it is extremely disingenuous to say Rift has 8 raids and WoW only has 3, and to say that WoW only has heroics, raids, dailies and one type ov PvP.  

Discuss Rift on its own merits.  Dont lie about other games to make Rift look better.

• sancher36sancher36 Member UncommonPosts: 458

To me rift is a great game and trion has been doing a great job with pumping out content. I decided to quit rift about 3 months ago but that was mainly due to my friends moving onto other games. 

Trion did great by taking things from other games and perfecting them, no need to really invent new things. 

I have decided recently to rejoin rift for the expansion as I'm just curious to see whats coming, if I don't stay long then so be it. It will be just great to give the game another try as I've always liked it. 

• Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133

I actually did pay my account up the first of oct and I'll tell you it was like taking a step backwards after playing GW2 and Tera I felt like I went from playing a PS3 to a SNES.

I loved Rift a year ago when It was somewhat new and fresh but after playing some of the newer games like Swtor/GW2 and Tera .. I can't seem to get back into it .. the controls feel too clunky and the graphics just are not appealing to me, I'm not saying its a bad game in any way I had fun playing it but I could never go back. 

• JaedorJaedor Member UncommonPosts: 1,173

I tried Rift on the trial last weekend and thought it was decent. Definitely a WoW clone but well done. I'm interested in the housing element of the expansion so am considering a sub. /facepalm at myself

• KanylKanyl Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Originally posted by Asleep
    Originally posted by botrytis
    Originally posted by KaiserAlexander

you guys don't realize that, while regular questing in rift is terribly bland, the game is ALL about endgame.

you now have the option of leveling by instant adventure, which speeds up leveling enormously.

i too got hooked to rift not at the first, but at the second sight.

mmorpgers, instead of being a swarm of mmo-devouring locusts, need to learn that some mmorpgs improve a lot upon relase, and NO mmorpg improved as much in such a short time as rift.

The end game in Rift is grind, grind, grind. It is all about Uber armor - sorry I played Rift for a year and got off that cycle of, 'OH, the next dungeon is coming out - time to group and grind out the next Uber armor for that dungeon'. Sorry, it is boring as hell and not fun with players who take it like a job.

The regular play in Rift is grind, grind, grind also. It is not that fun of a game and the game world is really small.

I think this is true. Infact , I kinda fell into what I thought was a valid way of looking at mmorpgs, with the gw2 hype and I told people and myself that I didnt need gear grind to enjoy a game, but I found out from gw2 that it is exactly what I like about MMOs.

I like to group up, raid up, guild up, help those people gear up, and work together to take on new challenges. I like the sense of making my character a fraction better, to help my group/raid/guild even if by a fraction. And while I agree you can get this type of gameplay alot of places, I do especially like Rift for its Rifts, and Zone events, its class system, its look and feel, and its developer.

So while I could see why someone might point out grind, or it being so much like other games, the gear treadmill and so forth as a negative, to me its a positive.

+1

Yeah, I also found out that the "gear-grind" is what I needed. I hate grinding and doing things over and over again, but still I need that challenge. I am done with GW2 now and it will take some time before I get back in, just because I don't find it amusing to play anyomore. Sure, it is nice to have a "casual" game where you can hang out with friend and stuff like that, but honestly, you can do that in a game like RIFT also! Don't like the gear grind? Then don't do it. Better have options, than nothing. So, back to your comment, I tottaly agree! That's why I probably will buy the expansion and a sub today and I have not played since the game launched.....