Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

For everyone who hasn't yet, give Rift a try

KaiserAlexanderKaiserAlexander Member UncommonPosts: 10

The game has 10 content patches,  and will soon get an expansion that gives the game awesome features like player housing.

The content delivery is top notch, and you really get the most out of your monthly fee.

supporting rift means supporting a high standard in content delivery of mmorpgs [mod edit]

Comments

• SimphanaticSimphanatic Member Posts: 92
    [mod edit]
  • DormanDorman Member Posts: 9
    I don't think the staff would shamelessly post a referal link, it is a good game though, easily one of the better MMOs.  The expansion is looking to freshen up the experience as well.  (I also have a low post count, but my join date should speak more)
  • FoomerangFoomerang Member UncommonPosts: 5,628

Good graphics and sound, lots of ways to play, best dev team ive seen. Its as close to a sure thing as they come in an mmo these days.

• EternalSage2000EternalSage2000 Member UncommonPosts: 29

Long time lurker, first time poster here.  I will come out of my shell to support Rift.  From a PvE point of view, this game has everything I could ask for.  The PvP is enjoyable too, albeit a little un balanced. 

With the addition of guild and player housing,  and the locales you will unlock from raiding, I am more excited for Storm Legion than I have ever been for any expansion.  Taking as much time off work as I can afford from November 13th onward.  I hope more people pick this title up. 

• MavekMavek Member Posts: 138

I played for the first month after release, hit level 38 and quit.  Its a good game but still a generic themepark, no amount of rifts can change that.  Currently getting my sandbox fix from eve but i think when im ready for themeparks again this will be the game I go to.

If they ever expand the game beyond combat (I realize that housing among other things is being implemented but it still isnt quite enough) then I will return in a heartbeat

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,373
    Played for a month, then got bored as hell.  Same generic and trite MMO and nothing to distinguish itself from the others.  While not a bad game, you can play better and spend less.  Most of the people who I play game with look at Rift as a been there done that type of game.  Judging by the new expansion and what I've heard, not going back anytime soon.
  • PresbytierPresbytier Member UncommonPosts: 424
    I have given Rift multiple tries, and I keep coming to the same conlusion. I just find it to be too generic. I find the setting to be uniteresting, and the gameplay way too similar to WoW. That is not me saying that WoW's gameplay is bad it is just saying that Rift does far too litle (IMO) to diferintiate itself. If the saetting did not feel like bland fantasy i could forgive the near wholesale copy in gamplay mechanics; unfortunately I don't see much reason to play it yet alone pay another monthly sub for it.

"Never pay more than 20 bucks for a computer game."-Guybrush Threepwood
    "I hate to advocate drugs, alcohol, violence, or insanity to anyone, but they've always worked for me."-Hunter S. Thompson

Rift started out very WoW and has since branched out into many non wow systems and features. The WoW option of playstyle is still there and you're more than welcome to play Rift that way. However, I don't want to just play Rift like I would play WoW and fortunately the game has expanded and continues to offer new ways to experience the game.

Storm Legion will push Rift even further away from the WoW mold and that is a good thing in my book. However, I still enjoy the fact that I have those standard hubs, dungeons and raids available to me if and when I feel the urge.

• JackFrostyJackFrosty Member Posts: 103

RIFT is the best MMO I have ever played, and I've tried a lot of them. TRION pushes out content so fast you literally never have time to be bored, and it's QUALITY content. Absolutely amazing stuff.

The amount of stuff they are bringing out in their expansion is more content then most games LAUNCH with. They are tripling the world size just for starters.

Absolutely amazing game and the first 20 levels are free so why not give it a shot :)  The only thing you'll miss is Panda's or wandering around maps being bored collecting pies for Centaurs.

When I wake up, the real nightmare begins

• Gabby-airGabby-air Member UncommonPosts: 3,440
    Although it wasn't my type of game I would wholeheartedly recoommend it as well that is if your looking for something more traditional. 
  • KarteliKarteli Member CommonPosts: 2,646
    Originally posted by Foomerang

Rift started out very WoW and has since branched out into many non wow systems and features. The WoW option of playstyle is still there and you're more than welcome to play Rift that way. However, I don't want to just play Rift like I would play WoW and fortunately the game has expanded and continues to offer new ways to experience the game.

Storm Legion will push Rift even further away from the WoW mold and that is a good thing in my book. However, I still enjoy the fact that I have those standard hubs, dungeons and raids available to me if and when I feel the urge.

how so? What new ways?

While Rift expanded, they just grabbed up other game ideas, to my knowledge.  Is there something unique to Rift?

I'm not intentionally trying to be difficult, but frankly, I'm a tad bored of playing the same rehashed ideas from game to game.  Rift has Public Quests / Events / Rifts .. Rift has public housing.  Just asking if by something non-WoW, that means something brand new?

It's been awhile and this game fell off my radar.

Want a nice understanding of life? Try Spirit Science: "The Human History"
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U8NNHmV3QPw&feature=plcp
    Recognize the voice? Yep sounds like Penny Arcade's Extra Credits.

• haplo602haplo602 Member UncommonPosts: 253

currently level 10 on the 20level free trial .... not that bad a game for a themepark. but for the first 3 days I did not meet a player soul. seems that the newb zone is not very populated and that tells something.

I like the world, but I miss options. Vendors have nothing worth buying, loot drops are generic, usualy I have to rely on crafting to craft anything workable.

Rifts are fun. But they are either too easy (same or lower level as my char) or instantly deadly (anything higher level than my char. It looks as if the difficulty scales on a logarithmic scale.

Btw where are the elements ? I hit a fire creature with a water spell and I dealt the same damage as if I hit somehting else. Does not make sens.

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 5,085

Took me 5 minutes with their website to remove Rift from my list:

- Only 6 races. => Gah.

- Darkelves exist (Yay !) but have no dark skin. => GAH !

- Enforced Racial wars. => SUPER GAH !

- Only 4 Classes with the riddiculous forced multiple time subclassing like I know and hate it from DA:O. => Thanks, but no thanks.

Just to be clear, I dont oppose subclassing and multiclassing at all. What I consider riddiculous is getting forced into subclassing and/or multiclassing, just to gain numerically a high "variance". That variance is a fake.

Any such system will have multiple subclasses that have synergy. These combination will be what will be played in the end.

That means if you have 12 subclasses and force the player to choose 3 of them, best case scenario is that you get 4 actual classes out of it. Because rarely will players choose subclass combinations of low synergy - and if they do, they will get most likely frustrated. They will for sure not gain entrance into the more powerful guilds.

MMOs are highly competitive environments. Being underpowered is not an enjoyable fate.

• nsignificnsignific Member Posts: 212

I played Rift til about level 40, but then quit because it made me miss WoW too much and because my PC couldn't really handle Rift very well.

But looking back, it's by far the best (non WoW) MMO I've tried of the "search for the wow killer" era (WAR,AOC,AION, etc...).

The talent system in particular is fantastic, especially now, considering how dumbed down WoW's has gotten. I like how it's WoW 2.0 + a lot more, in the sense that it took everything good from WoW and added loads more that's also good.

Was tempted to take the yearly pass, but decided not to. Don't have time for an extra MMO.

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Foomerang

The poster you are responding too said the gameplay was too much like WoW.  Im assuming what he meant is that the actual (combat) mechanics of the game, not the content, is too similar to WoW.  

And I can see where he is coming from.  Not a huge deal to me, personally, but I definitely understand it.  Its tough to explain, but  WoW and Rift combat do feel very alike, but so do a lot of games.  LOTRO, for instance, feels like a sluggish WoW.  Even GW2, with its dodging and everything, doesnt feel all that different.  Mostly due to the GCD/rotation system.  EQ2 manages to feel a little different despite many of the same ideas behind, but maybe because its the one game not trying to mimic WoW (because it was developed simultaneously so wasnt able to be modeled after WoW)

• strangiato2112strangiato2112 Member CommonPosts: 1,538
    Originally posted by Adamantine

Took me 5 minutes with their website to remove Rift from my list:

- Only 6 races. => Gah.

- Darkelves exist (Yay !) but have no dark skin. => GAH !

- Enforced Racial wars. => SUPER GAH !

- Only 4 Classes with the riddiculous forced multiple time subclassing like I know and hate it from DA:O. => Thanks, but no thanks.

Just to be clear, I dont oppose subclassing and multiclassing at all. What I consider riddiculous is getting forced into subclassing and/or multiclassing, just to gain numerically a high "variance". That variance is a fake.

Any such system will have multiple subclasses that have synergy. These combination will be what will be played in the end.

That means if you have 12 subclasses and force the player to choose 3 of them, best case scenario is that you get 4 actual classes out of it. Because rarely will players choose subclass combinations of low synergy - and if they do, they will get most likely frustrated. They will for sure not gain entrance into the more powerful guilds.

MMOs are highly competitive environments. Being underpowered is not an enjoyable fate.

Its actually only four races.  Dwarves, 2x humans, 2 x elves, and bigger, blue humans.

That said, the class thing is a bit different.  Rift kind of forces you to have 2 or 3 minimum set ups to be 'maxed'.  There is no best dps build, because different fights favor different types of dps builds.

You are right about the synergy though, the trees have been greatly expanded for SL so not sure if there will be increased synergies or not.  But for most souls there are maybe 3 choices to choose your other 2 souls from.

Originally posted by Karteli
    Originally posted by Foomerang Rift started out very WoW and has since branched out into many non wow systems and features. The WoW option of playstyle is still there and you're more than welcome to play Rift that way. However, I don't want to just play Rift like I would play WoW and fortunately the game has expanded and continues to offer new ways to experience the game. Storm Legion will push Rift even further away from the WoW mold and that is a good thing in my book. However, I still enjoy the fact that I have those standard hubs, dungeons and raids available to me if and when I feel the urge.
    how so? What new ways?

While Rift expanded, they just grabbed up other game ideas, to my knowledge.  Is there something unique to Rift?

I'm not intentionally trying to be difficult, but frankly, I'm a tad bored of playing the same rehashed ideas from game to game.  Rift has Public Quests / Events / Rifts .. Rift has public housing.  Just asking if by something non-WoW, that means something brand new?

It's been awhile and this game fell off my radar.

Well, Im not a hardcore raider and I play mmorpgs for the social and non combat aspects first. I prefer support as my combat role which is usually heals or a mixture of heals buffs debuffs control.

So from that viewpoint, I play Rift a little different than the average mmo'er i guess. Lots of fishing and cooking, dying armor and clothes, crafting collaborations with guild mates, role playing, attending rp events and weddings. I also enjoy mentoring down and doing instant adventures as well as occasional mentored dungeons and always mentor down in lower level zone invasions.

Mentoring and Planar attunement has really opened up the game world and made almost every open world activity a group experience.

Being able to set out a campfire and a tent while fishing with other people is pretty cool. And when the zone invasions come, we mentor down, pack up, and go for it. There are a crap load of crafting recipes and they take resources from all over the game. So creating that perfect robe takes a lot of time and market savvy. As well as trading with other players.

Thats just the way I roll though. May not be your playstyle. All I know is that storm legion brings more variety to what I already like about the game, plus adds housing, hunt rifts, and world bosses. So im pretty much set with a good mmorpg experience with Rift. And the server I play on is really cool. Lots of decent people.

• FadernFadern Member Posts: 37
    If only they had any clue what class balance is.
  • DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by KaiserAlexander

The game has 10 content patches,  and will soon get an expansion that gives the game awesome features like player housing.

The content delivery is top notch, and you really get the most out of your monthly fee.

supporting rift means supporting a high standard in content delivery of mmorpgs, 

[mod edit]

Once "content" became the genre code word for "more pointless filler fetch quests" I stopped caring about content. 

Until the game stops being a WoW clone, I'll continue not caring. 

• moguy2moguy2 Member Posts: 337

Its just another one of those games. I played for a while and realized it was just mediocre at best. I did enjoy the random events popping up till thats all anyone ever did. But this was when Rift first went live.

I couldnt pin point the "challenging" aspect of this game. Maybe I missed it some where.

• CalerxesCalerxes Member UncommonPosts: 1,641
    Why? I already played it and found it to be the most boring, easy, small, cookie cutter, bland, uninteresting, dull, uninspired, shallow, generic, craptastic MMO I've ever playedand and was even given a free copy by Raptr a few months ago so I thought I'd give it another go to see if it had changed and still felt the same, only this time there were only 3 men and their dog playing on a "medium" pop server. So someone coming to MMORPG.com and basically begging for us to play this humungously shitty MMO must mean its full of people playing right?

This doom and gloom thread was brought to you by Chin Up™ the new ultra high caffeine soft drink for gamers who just need that boost of happiness after a long forum session.

• DavisFlightDavisFlight Member CommonPosts: 2,556
    Originally posted by moguy2

Its just another one of those games. I played for a while and realized it was just mediocre at best. I did enjoy the random events popping up till thats all anyone ever did. But this was when Rift first went live.

I couldnt pin point the "challenging" aspect of this game. Maybe I missed it some where.

Some people are so used to WoW that anything even slightly more engaging is "challenging". Hell, there's some crazies out there that call WoW hardcore, or pretend that "vanilla WoW' was hardcore. 

• DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    I tried it and found it so generic that I may as well have stayed with one of my older games.  Rather than waste my money creating/levelling characters in a game I felt like I'd played 1,000 times already, I deleted it.  There was nothing all that innovative or challenging in it, but to be fair that's largely true of most MMOs.
  • DibdabsDibdabs Member RarePosts: 3,202
    Originally posted by DavisFlight

... Hell, there's some crazies out there that call WoW hardcore, or pretend that "vanilla WoW' was hardcore. 

I know!  I find that funny as hell.  :D

• AeonbladesAeonblades Member Posts: 2,083

First time poster as well, but I'll come out in support of Rift. Everything since DAoC has been garbage not fit to be installed on anyones computer, let alone mine.

Rift gave me hope that developers still cared about their game and not just their profit margins.

We have gotten more free content out of Trion than Blizzard has released for WoW total. The game is a joy to play, and with the new expansion coming, I have to say this is the first time I have ever been excited about housing in a game. Every other game that had housing (EQ2, DAoC, etc) it was a total bore.

Give it a try, no harm in playing the free trial to level 20.

EDIT: Also those saying the game is bland obviously never played past level 5, and if they did then they are wrong and just a fanboy of some other game.

Currently Playing: ESO and FFXIV
    Have played: You name it
    If you mention rose tinted glasses, you better be referring to Mitch Hedberg.